PDA

View Full Version : Nadal 2010

pabletion
11-27-2009, 10:07 AM
There has been speculation on the inside circles of the Tour about Nadal changing coach soon. During his match against Davydenko, ESPN commentator and former argentinian top ten Javier Frana discussed this very thourougly, saying that it is very possible that a change happens, and that it is maybe even needed. His argument was that maybe there is only so much that uncle Tony can give Nadal and maybe he has reached its limit, regarding expertees, technicalities, etc etc., not denying that he's not a great coach (results speak for themselves), but sometimes, when a player seems burned out or stuck, a change is a very positive thing. He (Frana) said, practically, that a more seasoned, more technically knowledgeable coach could be of great benefit, not so much as to change too much about Rafa's technique, but to tweak here and there and also, most importantly, so Rafa will have a fresh opinion about everything about his game, basically, hearing things differently. Frana went on to suggest that the changing of coach should even be suggested by uncle Tony himself, admiting that a limit has been reached and it would show how big a person he would be, knowing that Nadal is absolutely loyal to his current coach and family.

I thought it was a very interesting idea and very possible, as well, since it seems that most of the top players have figured out Nadal, specially big hitters. Some possible coaches that come to my mind are Costa (after Davis final, maybe...), Corretja, etc. Frana even suggested Moya, one of Nadals idols and who is on his final days, but apparently is getting ready for next season.

What do you think? I think it would be a very good move on Nadal's part, a different perspective and possibly tweaking with his strategies a bit and some of his shots as well, heck, he's still very young, but it seems his tennis is absolutely wearing him out.

inkpw2
11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
there's so much you can learn from one coach. yeah he would need to change coaches and learn new strategies and point-views. it would make him a better played overall

viduka0101
11-27-2009, 10:32 AM
he's always been the player saying that he wants to improve
i think he's reached that point when he needs a big change
uncle toni has obviously been a good coach but he needs new viewpoints

i don't think he's been figured out
his old style of play was very effective and he's slowly giving up on that(he's already not running after every ball) so he needs major changes to have a long career,this could be a transition period for him so that could be the reason he's been playing badly lately

Tsonga#1fan
11-27-2009, 10:33 AM
IMO it is a great idea and the sooner the better. Apparently, James Blake is FINALLY working with a new coach and he waited entirely too long to make the move and he won't get much benefit if any at all from it at this point in his career. I hope Nadal doesn't make that same mistake.

bolo
11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
There has been speculation on the inside circles of the Tour about Nadal changing coach soon. During his match against Davydenko, ESPN commentator and former argentinian top ten Javier Frana discussed this very thourougly, saying that it is very possible that a change happens, and that it is maybe even needed. His argument was that maybe there is only so much that uncle Tony can give Nadal and maybe he has reached its limit, regarding expertees, technicalities, etc etc., not denying that he's not a great coach (results speak for themselves), but sometimes, when a player seems burned out or stuck, a change is a very positive thing. He (Frana) said, practically, that a more seasoned, more technically knowledgeable coach could be of great benefit, not so much as to change too much about Rafa's technique, but to tweak here and there and also, most importantly, so Rafa will have a fresh opinion about everything about his game, basically, hearing things differently. Frana went on to suggest that the changing of coach should even be suggested by uncle Tony himself, admiting that a limit has been reached and it would show how big a person he would be, knowing that Nadal is absolutely loyal to his current coach and family.

I thought it was a very interesting idea and very possible, as well, since it seems that most of the top players have figured out Nadal, specially big hitters. Some possible coaches that come to my mind are Costa (after Davis final, maybe...), Corretja, etc. Frana even suggested Moya, one of Nadals idols and who is on his final days, but apparently is getting ready for next season.

What do you think? I think it would be a very good move on Nadal's part, a different perspective and possibly tweaking with his strategies a bit and some of his shots as well, heck, he's still very young, but it seems his tennis is absolutely wearing him out.

Not going to happen until the end of wimbledon imo. That's the correct time to think about everything. Vamos,

OddJack
11-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Toni is too traditional and I agree that he has reached his peak. It would be a wise decision.

Toni is the biggest reason Nadal is a big name in the tennis world today. He made Nadal who he is. I don't expect him to go away completely. He will stay around. Nadal may hire one on the side, just like what Djoker is doing now.

RelentlessAttack
11-27-2009, 10:47 AM
He should bring in someone who can help him incorporate more aggressive tactics and elements to his game, but also keep toni as his main coach. the formula works well, and being surrounded by his family seems to be important mentally for nadal.

Tsonga#1fan
11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
He should bring in someone who can help him incorporate more aggressive tactics and elements to his game, but also keep toni as his main coach. the formula works well, and being surrounded by his family seems to be important mentally for nadal.

If all that I hear is true in regard to his family life, maybe growing up and getting away from that bunch would be a welcome distraction and be of benefit to his overall tennis game.

RelentlessAttack
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
It's more than growing up, it's more of an issue of upbringing and culture, being Indian I know many Indian families that live as the Nadal family does for example. Whether or not the rumors regarding Nadal's father are true, I think family will always be important to Nadal. I think Djokovic's model of working with Vajda but supplementing that coaching with various others over the past couple years is one that can also work for Nadal.

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Good thread. I think Nadal needs a new voice too, and like Tsonga? hope he doesn't wait too long like James Blake did.

pabletion
11-27-2009, 11:17 AM
^^ Its what Frana suggested: that the change should even be brought up by uncle Tony himself. Now, I agree possibly he should step off the picture altogether, but maybe bring someone else to the team, like other pros have done, someone who is very analytical about the technical stuff and can input on strategy, etc. I mean, yes, one can be a great coach without having ever played the tour, but Im absolutely sure there are little things that can make a difference coming from a person who knows what it is like to compete at that level.

Dunno why, but I have a very big feeling Costa is a big candidate for the job.

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 11:20 AM
^^ Its what Frana suggested: that the change should even be brought up by uncle Tony himself. Now, I agree possibly he should step off the picture altogether, but maybe bring someone else to the team, like other pros have done, someone who is very analytical about the technical stuff and can input on strategy, etc. I mean, yes, one can be a great coach without having ever played the tour, but Im absolutely sure there are little things that can make a difference coming from a person who knows what it is like to compete at that level.

Dunno why, but I have a very big feeling Costa is a big candidate for the job.

Ooh, I like the idea of it being Costa. That sounds like a good fit.

Tsonga#1fan
11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Good thread. I think Nadal needs a new voice too, and like Tsonga? hope he doesn't wait too long like James Blake did.

Amen to that!

babolat15
11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
i agree, this would be a good idea

Ash_Smith
11-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Rafa already has a 'team' of coaches who provide backup either when Toni can't travel or when circumstances dictate. Francis Roig travels with him about 10 weeks per year and he works with Toni Colom too (Colom is with him this week in London). When he was growing up he would spend 3 days a week in Palma with Toni Colom and the rest of the week training with Uncle Toni in Manacor. Maybe he should travel more with Francis Roig or Toni Colom - that said Rafa is a family man and tese guys basically are his family - maybe a change would be for the worse?

yellowoctopus
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Toni is the biggest reason Nadal is a big name in the tennis world today. He made Nadal who he is. I don't expect him to go away completely. He will stay around. Nadal may hire one on the side, just like what Djoker is doing now.

I agree with this opinion, and believe that the decision to bring in a new coach will be left to uncle Toni. To a number of players, having a coach is more than just getting technical advice; being able to completely trust that a person is always looking out for you and your success, in that order, is irreplaceable. I believe Uncle Toni is that to Nadal.

TheMusicLover
11-27-2009, 12:56 PM
All 'speculation'.
Whenever a player is going through a bad patch in his career, immediately the 'get a (new) coach'-talk pops up. Or even worse: blame it on the girlfriend.

Many people seem to have forgotten that it is Toni Nadal in the first place who made Rafa the great player who he is. Might well be a good idea to bring in someone extra from the outside though, just for a fresh look at things.

statto
11-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I think their relationship has been pretty strained of late, and I'm sure his family issues haven't helped, but I don't think a new coach is some kind of panacea for Nadal.

I'd like to see Toni stay with Nadal, but for one or two others to come into his setup (the ones he currently has are little more than Toni's lackeys IMO).

drakulie
11-27-2009, 01:17 PM
nadal needs to manage his schedule better, before even considering a new coach.

tacou
11-27-2009, 01:37 PM
yeah Nadal needs to have a more strategic schedule, and if he does that he'll only need minor adjustments to his game, both of which will lead to a less strenuous season/longer career.

Conquistador
11-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Is it time for Rafa to develop a one handed backhand? The answer is yes.

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Rafa already has a 'team' of coaches who provide backup either when Toni can't travel or when circumstances dictate. Francis Roig travels with him about 10 weeks per year and he works with Toni Colom too (Colom is with him this week in London). When he was growing up he would spend 3 days a week in Palma with Toni Colom and the rest of the week training with Uncle Toni in Manacor. Maybe he should travel more with Francis Roig or Toni Colom - that said Rafa is a family man and tese guys basically are his family - maybe a change would be for the worse?

That's true too!

RelentlessAttack
11-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Is it time for Rafa to develop a one handed backhand? The answer is yes.

hahahaha brilliant

AM95
11-27-2009, 02:47 PM
yeah Nadal needs to have a more strategic schedule, and if he does that he'll only need minor adjustments to his game, both of which will lead to a less strenuous season/longer career.

his best strategy ever developed was to hit heavy topspin balls at the opponents backhand, then occasionally hit a flat forehand, which worked against everyone INCLUDING Roger Federer. his strategy is fine.. he's just tired

Blinkism
11-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe he needs to add a coach on the team like Murray did with Corretja and Djokovic did with Martin.

Someone like Costa would be a good choice, but I don't know how much insight he'd have outside of clay, really. Most of his Davis Cup coaching has been for ties on clay and his career was really limited to clay.

Moya would have more insight to offer, IMO, as would Corretja (he's taken, though).

Brad Gilbert seems to like Rafa too.

It'd be funny if he picked him up as coach.

Maybe hire Sampras as coach? :)

but, seriously, he'd probably prefer a spanish-speaker as his whole team speak in spanish all day. So, it'd have to be a Spaniard or a South American, most likely.

I heard Coria's looking for a job.

OddJack
11-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Talking about coaches, I am surprised Cahill hasnt done Verdasco any good yet. nando was doing maybe even better before he hired him. At least it is how it looks at the moment.

MichaelNadal
11-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Toni has been great but it is definitely time for a new coach, no doubt about that! He has got to be more aggressive.

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Talking about coaches, I am surprised Cahill hasnt done Verdasco any good yet. nando was doing maybe even better before he hired him. At least it is how it looks at the moment.

I was thinking the same thing when they flashed to Cahill in the stands during the match. It seems like lately, the closer Verdasco gets to making that breakthrough, he kind of hits the wall. My next point, was how long with Cahill tolerate that? He's got a reputation to uphold.

OddJack
11-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing when they flashed to Cahill in the stands during the match. It seems like lately, the closer Verdasco gets to making that breakthrough, he kind of hits the wall. My next point, was how long with Cahill tolerate that? He's got a reputation to uphold.

He will probably milk him for some time and then move on. Verdasco has proved the problem is more in his head, other than his rackt.

Magnus Norman has done great for Sod, he had the same problem.

TheMusicLover
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I heard Coria's looking for a job.

Excellent idea, would be a true magician helping out Rafa with his sucky serve!

Eh... okay. :)

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 04:47 AM
He will probably milk him for some time and then move on. Verdasco has proved the problem is more in his head, other than his rackt.

Magnus Norman has done great for Sod, he had the same problem.

That's very true.

AM95
12-06-2009, 05:40 AM

Verdo made the semi's of the AO this year, thats not a bad result, infact, thats the best slam result.

Not to mention he played the longest match in AO history i think, and almost beat Nadal, had he not choked and double faulted on 30-40...

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-06-2009, 05:42 AM
An addition to his team would be a good move. Let uncle Toni do uncle stuff.

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Verdo made the semi's of the AO this year, thats not a bad result, infact, thats the best slam result.

Not to mention he played the longest match in AO history i think, and almost beat Nadal, had he not choked and double faulted on 30-40...

Verdasco played very well this year. Cahill's influence was definitely on display, but he's also had some chances this year and he kind of mentally tensed up. I know it's a process, and these things take time, I'm just wondering how long Cahill will put up with it considering he had two star pupils who took in the information and put it on the court with great results.

fps
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
time for two forehands.