PDA

View Full Version : Agassi criticizes Federer

Mr. Tennis
11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
How did you feel when Roger, our leading light, said, “There’s a dark cloud over our sport?”

AA: Well, I think he’s just wrong. I like Roger, but my experience is that “reacting” is never as good as “responding.” And he can’t possibly make a comment that “There’s a dark cloud” when he doesn’t have all the facts, when he doesn’t know what it is.

I can speak to the merits of what he’s saying. I don’t begrudge him because I’ve reacted a lot in my life and I’ve said a lot of things that were just inaccurate. I believe what he said is not accurate. It’s not the case. Do you want to discuss the merits of why that’s not the case?

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I guess that's why players don't want to respond to those questions. Everything gets so heavily scrutinized. Agassi is the one who shouldn't have responded to Fed though. He wrote the book. He had to know it would be media fodder and they would be asked about it. Whatever they say he should take it with a grain a salt. After all, his actions are what caused the reaction.

wangs78
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I guess that's why players don't want to respond to those questions. Everything gets so heavily scrutinized. Agassi is the one who shouldn't have responded to Fed though. He wrote the book. He had to know it would be media fodder and they would be asked about it. Whatever they say he should take it with a grain a salt. After all, his actions are what caused the reaction.

Yes, agreed. I don't have a strong view regarding Agassi's use of meth - I don't think it enhanced his performance so doesn't really affect the legitimacy of his accomplishments on the tennis court. However, his use of this drug and more important, his ill-advised and ill-TIMED decision to come out with this in his new book is just tasteless and show's that despite being a great ambassador for the sport, he's still a moron.

Tsonga#1fan
11-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes, agreed. I don't have a strong view regarding Agassi's use of meth - I don't think it enhanced his performance so doesn't really affect the legitimacy of his accomplishments on the tennis court. However, his use of this drug and more important, his ill-advised and ill-TIMED decision to come out with this in his new book is just tasteless and show's that despite being a great ambassador for the sport, he's still a moron.

What you said couldn't have been stated any better.

MuseFan
11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Agassi is simply jealous that there's a player that has taken away his "career slam" status.

Chadwixx
11-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Outside of groupies who still own pink spandex, no one cares about what this pos has to say

TheMusicLover
11-27-2009, 12:46 PM
"Look Who's Talking..." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RelentlessAttack
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't think this is a criticism of federer really, agassi at this point is just trying to save face wherever he can and obviously isn't going to say "i agree with his criticism of me and my book"...

TheMusicLover
11-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't think this is a criticism of federer really, agassi at this point is just trying to save face wherever he can and obviously isn't going to say "i agree with his criticism of me and my book"...

I think most posts here were aimed at Agassi, not towards Feds. At least I hope so...
Might well be the opposite of what OP intended btw.

slice bh compliment
11-27-2009, 12:54 PM
How did you feel when Roger, our leading light, said, “There’s a dark cloud over our sport?”

AA: Well, I think he’s just wrong. I like Roger, but my experience is that “reacting” is never as good as “responding.” And he can’t possibly make a comment that “There’s a dark cloud” when he doesn’t have all the facts, when he doesn’t know what it is.

I can speak to the merits of what he’s saying. I don’t begrudge him because I’ve reacted a lot in my life and I’ve said a lot of things that were just inaccurate. I believe what he said is not accurate. It’s not the case. Do you want to discuss the merits of why that’s not the case?

That's a carefully crafted 'response'. Typical of the re-re-re-invented Andre Agassi.

I'm officially tired of him. If I get his book, it'll be off the sale rack at a used bookstore.

Allez Roger!

HunterST
11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Who cares? He did Meth 13 years ago. It wasn't performance enhancing, and Tennis has gotten a way more effective drug policy since then.

Agassi made a mistake that could have ruined his body and his career. He admits it was a mistake, and that he should have come clean.

I honestly don't think people are going to view tennis as a sport full of meth addicts and steroid users. We should be more considered about people thinking the sport is wussy, that's hurting it way more.

rocket
11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I thought whatever happened in Vegas, ...

RelentlessAttack
11-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I think most posts here were aimed at Agassi, not towards Feds. At least I hope so...
Might well be the opposite of what OP intended btw.

I was referring to the thread title

Who cares? He did Meth 13 years ago. It wasn't performance enhancing, and Tennis has gotten a way more effective drug policy since then.

Agassi made a mistake that could have ruined his body and his career. He admits it was a mistake, and that he should have come clean.

I honestly don't think people are going to view tennis as a sport full of meth addicts and steroid users. We should be more considered about people thinking the sport is wussy, that's hurting it way more.

Agreed on all counts. Its not like Meth does anything for him performancewise, the real risk was to him as he could have gotten addicted and died fast. Ever met a meth addict? It's not pretty. The ATP letting him off the hook though, is a problem given the way other drug cases have been dealt with since (thinking about Gasquet and cocaine especially, he was close to being banned for 2 years essentially for partying, if that can happen Agassi can be banned for 2 years essentially for being depressed).

And people perceiving tennis as a wussy sport does seem to be a big problem in terms of hurting its popularity, especially in north america.

slice bh compliment
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
He definitely plays the victim card deftly.
Dramaqueen? Oscarworthy.
I know, I know, great guy, does a lot for humanity, but I'm tired of him.

I'd prefer to be a stoic, manly man like Ashe any day. Sensitive, smart, quiet, cool.
Or even a whiney brat like John McEnroe, who does not take credit for most of the philanthropy he does.

Okay, I'll say it. Roger Federer is more manly than Andre.

Mr. Tennis
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Who cares? He did Meth 13 years ago. It wasn't performance enhancing,

if anything it was performance inhibiting.

papatenis
11-27-2009, 02:52 PM
It's selfish for him to admit that he cheated the system, now that he is retired and 100 million dollars richer. That kind of admission only hurts the current guys on the tour.

Some secrets should be kept secrets, like HAIR EXTENSIONS!!!

AM95
11-27-2009, 02:52 PM
I used to like Agassi but now I'm just getting annoyed with him.
He has absolutely no business to criticize Fed. If anything Fed is right. Tennis is by no means the world's most popular sport and if it turns into baseball, where everyone is juicing, then nobody will care to watch tennis at all.

Blinkism
11-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Respect level dropping (yet again) for Andre

Too bad, he's one of my all-time favs.

He needs to zip it, though

35ft6
11-28-2009, 07:35 AM
However, his use of this drug and more important, his ill-advised and ill-TIMED decision to come out with this in his new book is just tasteless and show's that despite being a great ambassador for the sport, he's still a moron.When would it have been a better time?

babolat15
11-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I wish he would just get out of the lime light

sureshs
11-28-2009, 07:42 AM
It would be interesting if it turned out Agassi was on steroids during his peak performances.

slice bh compliment
11-28-2009, 07:46 AM
It would be interesting if it turned out Agassi was on steroids during his peak performances.

It is rumored that the year he acrimoniously pulled out of the Oz Oipen after Kooyong....it was because of a would-be scandalous test result.

My personal feeling is that he was clean when he won titles and that he was possibly dabbling at other times.

He's such a drama queen, but I'm pretty sure he will never be 'Open' about supplement usage.

sunnyIce
11-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Not to go off topic, but i'm surprised not to see any discussions on what Marat said of AA. or were there? He said AA should give back all the titles/$$ he won post-meth. now i'm not interested in arguing if that is the right thing or not, but he raises an imp point. what if AA was caught and was suspended from the game for a bit, 3mos/6mos? would he have returned the same? would he be the same player, or even the same person?
many an athlete never makes it of suspension. in that sense, i thought marat's point was spot on.

Chadwixx
11-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Why did agassi's dad give him stuff when he was a kid if its not preformance enhancing? Was he falling asleep on changeovers?

sureshs
11-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Not to go off topic, but i'm surprised not to see any discussions on what Marat said of AA. or were there? He said AA should give back all the titles/$$ he won post-meth. now i'm not interested in arguing if that is the right thing or not, but he raises an imp point. what if AA was caught and was suspended from the game for a bit, 3mos/6mos? would he have returned the same? would he be the same player, or even the same person?
many an athlete never makes it of suspension. in that sense, i thought marat's point was spot on.

Everyone knew Marat was kidding.

Chadwixx
11-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Ya, english is his 5th language but uses sarcasm perfectly because he is such a smart guy :)

sureshs
11-28-2009, 08:05 AM
I think the local/state board which has jurisdiction over the AA school in Vegas should start a discussion whether the school should still be named after him, given his drug use history. Much is made of "zero tolerance" these days and pot smokers are rounded up by the police - so it makes no sense to have a school named after a meth user. They should also ensure that the school can run on its own without Agassi's money, which will vanish overnite if his name is removed.

Carsomyr
11-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Then they'd force him to give back his 11 Slams.

:cry:

Carsomyr
11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I like most of your posts, but why do you post in agassi threads when you never say anything?

"Then they'd force him to give back his 11 Slams."

8 total, 3 before meth (in 11 years) and 5 on steroids/speed (9 years) mixture.

Hard to believe he got alot better in the steroid era at the age of 27 after doing meth...

You forgot his Cinci titles.

slice bh compliment
11-28-2009, 10:51 AM
You forgot his Cinci titles. which were basically slams

Gorecki
11-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I like most of your posts, but why do you post in agassi threads when you never say anything?

"Then they'd force him to give back his 11 Slams."

8 total, 3 before meth (in 11 years) and 5 on steroids/speed (9 years) mixture.

Hard to believe he got alot better in the steroid era at the age of 27 after doing meth...

it sure is better than you moralistic bs and all this unproven crap that seems to come out of the cesspool that is your line of reasoning about agassi! what wonders me is why have you been going on this crap of making more lies about agassi's past... did he not sign your starter cap?

other than that you are also a nice poster...

so i guess you are no different than me. the difference would be that you alway come into these recent Agassi thread and randomly insult him and come up with more vulgar ox feces about him being on steroid, heroin, pumpking jam and skittles and all those PED's...

Chadwixx
11-28-2009, 11:10 AM
You still have debunked any of it. Feel free to start at any point.

Im guessing your more than a fan, you look at him as some sort of god who defies human limitations :)

Chadwixx
11-28-2009, 12:08 PM
what wonders me is why have you been going on this crap of making more lies about agassi's past... did he not sign your starter cap?

Just doesnt make sense the guy re-emerges 4months later after doing one of the most debilitating/addictive drugs out there during the steroid era (hindsight) at a time when most pros (especially the ones who play physical baseline games) retire. So many variables point to his guilt.

I dont like snitches, i dont like sellouts, i dont like whiners, i dont like self portrayed victims. I could go on and on, agassi is the epidomy of every characteristic that annoys the hell out me.

However, I did like him ( still have 8 of his trisys 260 rackets) before all of this came out.

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 05:17 AM
Big deal, Agassi used drugs . He is in pretty good company:

Borg
McEnroe
Noah
Hingis
Capriati
Becker
guerulatis

and I am sure the list goes on and on.

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Bad Andre - you don't criticize Federer period. He's the ATP's golden boy.

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Agassi just needs to shut the hell up for a while and stay away from reporters, he's starting to annoy me.

hi Nadal_Freak. ban will be coming to you again. if you don't like Agassi, change the station.

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Outside of groupies who still own pink spandex, no one cares about what this pos has to say

then you must be one of those pink groupies..no cares what YOU think.

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 07:11 AM
I think the local/state board which has jurisdiction over the AA school in Vegas should start a discussion whether the school should still be named after him, given his drug use history. Much is made of "zero tolerance" these days and pot smokers are rounded up by the police - so it makes no sense to have a school named after a meth user. They should also ensure that the school can run on its own without Agassi's money, which will vanish overnite if his name is removed.

you are simply a hypocrite. why do you post.

Chadwixx
11-29-2009, 07:21 AM
then you must be one of those pink groupies..no cares what YOU think.

Speaking of groupies...

You and goreki should get together. He can wear his pink spandex and you can wear, shoot, cant remember anything about pete, the guy was like watching paint dry :)

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Speaking of groupies...

You and goreki should get together. He can wear his pink spandex and you can wear, shoot, cant remember anything about pete, the guy was like watching paint dry :)

make sure you are outside on dec 21, 2012.

nikdom
11-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Azzuri hijacks every thread that he/she posts in and brings it down to the most brainless level of trading personal insults. I think this should show everyone not to engage this person seriously. The best strategy against petulant teenagers is to deny them attention. Watch him reply to this and further prove my point.

Chadwixx
11-29-2009, 10:10 AM
make sure you are outside on dec 21, 2012.

Y2K!!!

Dont believe the hype, nm, your a 90's tennis fan :)

esm
11-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Agassi is simply jealous that there's a player that has taken away his "career slam" status.

oh really? maybe let re-visit ths when Fed gets a "career golden slam".....

Rhino
11-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Agassi just needs to shut the hell up for a while and stay away from reporters, he's starting to annoy me.

Yeah, let your book speak for itself, you've got the publicity now go away for a while before you ruin your reputation.

slice bh compliment
11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Too late. Too much listening to the agent and the handlers. The ego has landed.

But, like Bill Clinton, he's fallen before and he will get back up bigger and more famous than before.

volleynets
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM

agreed haha.

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Azzuri hijacks every thread that he/she posts in and brings it down to the most brainless level of trading personal insults. I think this should show everyone not to engage this person seriously. The best strategy against petulant teenagers is to deny them attention. Watch him reply to this and further prove my point.

by any chance are from the Hills of NC?

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Screw Agassi he is a dark cloud of shat.