PDA

View Full Version : Big Serve = Dislocated Shoulder

mekkio
11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Was at a tennis clinic a couple of weeks ago and the instructor was telling me to really "extend and snap" on my serve. I hit a few good, fast serves then crushed a monster and dislocated my shoulder! I've never done it before, but knew right away that this is what happened. Walked around for 5 minutes looking for someone that knew how to pop it back in when it slid back on it's own.

Have you ever heard of this? It totally freaked out the tennis instructor :shock: I've been in physio, and all things considered, the shoulder is feeling pretty good, but probably no tennis for awhile. :(

LeeD
11-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Sure, you took his "instructions to heart" totally and without regard for your physical state. Any time your mind gets left out of the physical equation, an injury can happen.
So when your coach tells you to run your butt off for EVERY shot, do you?
Gotta think for yourself sometimes.

charliefedererer
11-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Too bad about the shoulder.

You really should get medical attention and find out when you can start a shoulder strengthening program that will work all the muscles around the shoulder, and likely will look a lot like this: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf

mekkio
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Sure, you took his "instructions to heart" totally and without regard for your physical state. Any time your mind gets left out of the physical equation, an injury can happen.
So when your coach tells you to run your butt off for EVERY shot, do you?
Gotta think for yourself sometimes.

Please don't get me wrong here: I'm not blaming the instructor at all. While I obviously pushed myself too hard, the instruction was very helpful, and if I can get over the fear, think that my serve will improve with the advice.

I mostly posted just because it seemed like a pretty odd occurrence.

mawashi
11-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Were you trying to throw the racquet to the moon? I remembered trying to serve like Sampras n kept going again and again till my knees swelled up.

My coach can do a pretty good fast serve yet keep his motion so smooth n easy looking. Try to get full extension when you hit the ball but you really don't need to force your swing to get power.

Take care.

mawashi

equinox
11-28-2009, 04:52 AM
You have sympathy. I suffered a shoulder injury feb to sept of this year. Had to stop playing in august from the pain, gave it 2 months rest and started strengthening it with lights weights, it's ok now playing 1-2 a month but combined with poor service technique and a light 10oz babolat the issues could reappear once i start playing with more regularity 3+ week. :o

El Diablo
11-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Shoulder dislocation has more than a 90% recurrence rate. Therapy and sometimes surgery are practically essential if you intend to keep playing.

mike53
11-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I hit a few good, fast serves then crushed a monster and dislocated my shoulder! I've never done it before, but knew right away that this is what happened. Walked around for 5 minutes looking for someone that knew how to pop it back in when it slid back on it's own.

Have you ever heard of this?

This happens to a lot more people than you might think in any number of different sports that involve overhead arm movement. One of the primary causes is an imbalance between the larger muscles that move the arm and the smaller muscles that stabilize the shoulder joint. The larger muscles overpower the smaller muscles and the result is shoulder instability. Also, an imbalance between the front and rear muscles of the shoulder as well as underdeveloped stabilizing (smaller) muscles can contribute to the shoulder joint "slipping out of place".

Our main concern here is that the more often this happens, the easier it is to happen again, ie, the more difficult it becomes to keep the shoulder stable during peak activity or when overly tired. The unstable joint leads to more serious injuries. To prevent this from happening, we need to perform a targeted training program to increase the strength of the muscles that stabilize the shoulder joint. The link to asmi.org a couple of posts back is an excellent example of a concise and effective routine for strengthening all the shoulder muscles involved in throwing, which is very similar to the tennis serve.

mekkio
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I've had a few appointments with a physiotherapist, have been diligently doing strength exercises and the shoulder is feeling much better. Still not totally stable and I can't even imagine hitting a serve, but I'm on the mend.

Sad to hear the 90% recurrence statistic though :(

mike53
12-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Good that you are under professional supervision. The 90% recurrence could be a lot less with every other day strength training. Take a look at chapter 3 of this book and maybe discuss anything that applies with your therapist:

http://books.google.com/books?id=uXsMGfwY1gUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

LeeD
12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I think for some people, that 90% recurrence rate is true.
But I"ve dislocated my shoulder, including 3 separate separations 4 times, and both shoulders still doing just fine with tennis and windsurfing mostly.
That's a total of 4 dislocates and 3 separates, and you can add 3 clavical breaks to the shoulder abuse.
Not every person heals the same, and given enough time, most stuff heals.
You might say my multiple injuries might be a cause for concern, but I'm not crashing my roadracing and motocrossers any more, and all were traumatic injuries caused by major crashes.
Tennis, windsurfing, and surfing not ever a problem with the shoulders.