PDA

View Full Version : Why is davydenko 0-12 against Fed?

Seany
11-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I mean, even Roddick has won a match against Fed, and Fed has often had trouble against solid baseliners who hit good angles and move well....Davydenko is pretty much the best at this.

I'm guessing Federer must really get in his head before a ball is even hit...:confused:

JennyS
11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
He is so envious of Federer's hair, he can't concentrate properly when they play.

Tsonga#1fan
11-27-2009, 04:04 PM
He is so envious of Federer's hair, he can't concentrate properly when they play.

Perhaps he finds Roger's nose picking annoying and distracting.

malakas
11-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Swiss Mafia threatens him with cuddles.

Sartorius
11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
It is surprising. Davydenko is a great player, one of the best ballstrikers in the game. Yes he gets tight at times as he himself once said, but not as much as people make it to be, IMO.

But it is Federer. I would say he played some of his very, very best tennis most of the time when he met Davydenko, especially at the slams. Davydenko is one of the victims of the Federer era.

The match-up is also in Federer's favor.

OddJack
11-27-2009, 04:35 PM
To win a point Davydenko needs to control the rallies( Contrary to players like Nadal and Murray). He moves fast and defends, then slowly starts his yoyo shots to win the point. Usually by attacking his opponent's BH first.

1-Federer never allows him to take control. He is capable of producing shots that put him on offense instantly while defending.

2- Davydenko needs time to set up his yoyo shots. His shots rely on precision rather than speed and to do this he needs to be in position. Players who can hit the ball early take the time away from him.

3- His game has no variety. His opponents are rarely surprised by a drop shot(Djoker), passing shot(Nadal, Murray) or a lob(Del Potro). This is just perfect for a player like Federer who can stay back and dictate the game from the baseline.

jimbo333
11-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Davey's gonna win tomorrow though:)

Blinkism
11-27-2009, 04:42 PM
If Fed's off, he's going to struggle big time against Davy.

but, I think he's played pretty good, so far, in London.

I think the H2H is going to be 0-13 for poor Davy, but there's a silver lining- don't forget Rickson's Curse of 13!!!

Fed will get a beating from Davy the next time..hahaha

JeMar
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Davydenko plays with one speed and plays straight up and down the court when he goes against Federer. He doesn't hit as many angles as Murray, doesn't hit as high as Nadal, and doesn't hit with as much raw power as Del Potro, so Federer pretty much has his way with him.

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 05:15 PM
If Fed's off, he's going to struggle big time against Davy.

but, I think he's played pretty good, so far, in London.

I think the H2H is going to be 0-13 for poor Davy, but there's a silver lining- don't forget Rickson's Curse of 13!!!

Fed will get a beating from Davy the next time..hahaha

I don't think so. The closer they get to the business end the more Fed will bring it, especially when he's this close to the trophy. Fed plays crappy in the beginning of tournaments a lot. He's under no pressure with Davy. I think he'll be relaxed and smiling all day long.

stapler
11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't recall Davydenko playing Federer at all recently, and I think most of Davy's losses came during the time Federer was playing his best stuff. I expect to see Davydenko push Federer to at least 3 sets tomorrow, and possibly even win.

IvanAndreevich
11-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I mean, even Roddick has won a match against Fed, and Fed has often had trouble against solid baseliners who hit good angles and move well....Davydenko is pretty much the best at this.

I'm guessing Federer must really get in his head before a ball is even hit...:confused:

Because he doesn't have a single overpowering weapon, such as the Roddick serve or the Federer forehand. He doesn't have ONE SHOT with which he can reliably put the ball away against Fed time after time. Oh, and his net game is very limited.

Davy takes the ball early. Nobody did that better than Agassi, and it never bothered Federer. He loves this kind of players.

lawrence
11-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Both of their games are centered around footwork and taking balls early. Federer does everything Davy does, but better, and with additional weapons.

GustafsonFanatic
11-27-2009, 06:19 PM
LOL at the people saying that Federer outplays Davydenko all the time.

Kolya had many chances to beat Federer, especially on slower surfaces, Estoril, RG 2007, Australian 2006...

It's more about his head than anything else.

Mick
11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
the bad guy in goldeneye told james bond half of everything is decided by luck and the other half is decided by fate :)

Fedace
11-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Davy will tease you like he is gonna beat Roger and then lose in 3 sets..... just like he did in French open. He think he is a Slave boy for Roger..... and he dare not beat him or he will get a Flogging...

RafaNike
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
The same reason why Blake, Soderling and Roddick bend over for him.

Fedace
11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
The same reason why Blake, Soderling and Roddick bend over for him.

Actually Roddick doesn't bend over for anyone. Roddick's problem used to be that his serve gets tipped off somehow and Roger knows where its going before he hits it...... and for some reason Roger couldn't read it at Wimbledon for the first time so it went 5 sets...... Roddick said this afterwards...

Purostaff
11-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Fed makes him move on all axes

grafselesfan
11-27-2009, 08:04 PM
1. Federer is obviously by far the better player.

2. Davydenko is known for choking vs top players in general, the more top the more likely to choke, and you dont get more top than Federer (other than possibly a healthy and on fire Nadal at times).

3. As others have said Davydenko plays a very straightforward baseline game which suits Federer to a T. He just doesnt have problems with that kind of player.

Mansewerz
11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Everyone said this same argument about Blake last year at the Olympics. We saw how that ended up. Let's hope Roger can win this in straights and stay fresh for the final!

MuseFan
11-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Davy actually can create wondrous angles at will, so Roger will be tested.

Blinkism
11-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think so. The closer they get to the business end the more Fed will bring it, especially when he's this close to the trophy. Fed plays crappy in the beginning of tournaments a lot. He's under no pressure with Davy. I think he'll be relaxed and smiling all day long.

That's why I said "if Fed's off"

I agree, I think he'll be in good form and play well.

Davydenko will have to play his best tennis to have chance to win, no?

wayne2467
11-28-2009, 12:57 AM
A lot of the sets have been very close when i have watched so i can only assume Dav dosent play the big points very well against Fed and that is the difference.

joeri888
11-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Hardly anybody beat Federer in his prime, and shame for Davy they met quite a couple of times. 10 of their 12 meetings were between 2004-2007. Hardly anyone did better back then, but Davy was unlucky to run into Roger 12 times.

In recent history Fed has started to lose to guys sometimes against who he never lost before. Especially in 2008 with Fish, Karlovic, Blake. So it will be close today, and if Davy plays the big points well he can win, especially in the form he's in. Also if Fed's off, which is impossible to predict these days, Davydenko can win. If Fed's really on like the third set's against Murray and Verdasco, Davydenko's chances are slim.

Anaconda
11-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Maybe because Davydenko primarily baselines with Federer and loses. If Davydenko was a more versitile player then he would have more success.

Secondly Federer loves flat balls, and loves pace to work with. Davydenko is just too one dimensional with a hopless mental attitude.

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 02:38 AM
If Davy mixes it up, creates those angle and comes into net a lot he has a definite chance. If he reverts back to standard baselining its' 13-0 for fed.

joeri888
11-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Maybe because Davydenko primarily baselines with Federer and loses. If Davydenko was a more versitile player then he would have more success.

Secondly Federer loves flat balls, and loves pace to work with. Davydenko is just too one dimensional with a hopless mental attitude.

I thought so too for a long time. But actually he isn't. Name me one player other than Nadal that could trouble Fed consistently from 2004-2007. Hewitt, Roddick, they all lost all the time. Especially Hewitt just wasn't that bad because he won a lot of times before Roger became good.

Anaconda
11-28-2009, 03:39 AM
I thought so too for a long time. But actually he isn't. Name me one player other than Nadal that could trouble Fed consistently from 2004-2007. Hewitt, Roddick, they all lost all the time. Especially Hewitt just wasn't that bad because he won a lot of times before Roger became good.

Canas, Murray, nalbandian could beat Federer in 2007. Djokovic too. Roddick and Hewitt at least challenged Federer, Davydenko wins the occasional set every 5 matches they play.

Mansewerz
11-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Everyone said this same argument about Blake last year at the Olympics. We saw how that ended up. Let's hope Roger can win this in straights and stay fresh for the final!

And just like the Olympics last year, i'm right again.

Seany
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry Rog, I jinxed ya :)

Gorecki
11-28-2009, 10:19 AM

actually i heard a rumour that every time they play he gets the chills because he remembers Fed's atire in the last wimbledon, and he faces the fear of having to hug Fed in the final of the match...

Davydenko is very very homofobic i heard.... :)

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Sorry Rog, I jinxed ya :)

You give yourself to much credit. Roger just plain got beat today.

Anaconda
11-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh well, Davydenko is still slamless, and always will be. Yeah fair play n' all by beating Federer, but JMDP or Soderling's gonna take the tournament.

TheTruth
11-28-2009, 12:15 PM
LOL at the people saying that Federer outplays Davydenko all the time.

Kolya had many chances to beat Federer, especially on slower surfaces, Estoril, RG 2007, Australian 2006...

It's more about his head than anything else.

I agree, but the head thing was really knocking him out of a lot of those matches.