PDA

View Full Version : JMDP World number 4 if he beats Soderling

batz
11-28-2009, 12:51 AM
And will also guarantee 4th seeding for the AO - by 5 ranking points.

Here's why:

Murray is currently 645 points ahead of JMDP.

A JMDP win tonight takes that gap down to 245 points.

Murray drops 250 Doha points on 11th Jan.

Murray isn't playing a ranking tournament before the AO so he can't recover any of the 250 Doha points.

JMDP doesn't drop any ranking points before the AO.

Therefore, if JMDP wins tonight he will guarantee to be world number 4 on January 11th; the ranking date used for AO seedings.

That one game has cost Murray a lot more than just a place in the WTF semi finals.

Blinkism
11-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for crunching the numbers, batz!

Interesting turn of events here, then.

Like you say, that one game could go a long, long way.

batz
11-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks for crunching the numbers, batz!

Interesting turn of events here, then.

Like you say, that one game could go a long, long way.

Roger takes one of those bp v the big man @ 15-40 3-3 in the third, none of this is possible. A real sliding doors moment.

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Juan deserves it. He's been arguably one of the best players since July 2008.

joeri888
11-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Roger takes one of those bp v the big man @ 15-40 3-3 in the third, none of this is possible. A real sliding doors moment.

Yeah, it was.. I really hoped Roger'd take them though. However, I don't think Delpo beeating Soderling is a given. Delpo isn't playing that great, and Sod is, so who knows.. it would be very tough to play Murray in your QF, before Novak in your semis and Roger in the final for instance.

It's good to have such an evenly matched field, but Murray might pay the price here. He's got a lot to win at the AO though.

batz
11-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Juan deserves it. He's been arguably one of the best players since July 2008.

Where did I say otherwise? Murray himself said the same yesterday.

batz
11-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, it was.. I really hoped Roger'd take them though. However, I don't think Delpo beeating Soderling is a given. Delpo isn't playing that great, and Sod is, so who knows.. it would be very tough to play Murray in your QF, before Novak in your semis and Roger in the final for instance.

It's good to have such an evenly matched field, but Murray might pay the price here. He's got a lot to win at the AO though.

A Roger v Murray AO QF would be very interesting:twisted: - although Murray would need to make the QF for the first time for that to happen:oops:

sh@de
11-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Fed would actually like this to happen right? Because to be honest, I think Fed knows how to beat Murray right now (not saying he will, but at least he knows), whereas against Del Potro, it seems like he needs to figure out a new plan to beat him.

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 01:31 AM
No doubt Fed would love to play Murray in any slam rather then Del Potro. That's just freakin' obvious.

joeri888
11-28-2009, 01:59 AM
A Roger v Murray AO QF would be very interesting:twisted: - although Murray would need to make the QF for the first time for that to happen:oops:

It would be interesting. But Murray would have a great chance to go out early again. I think he'd better face Del potro, against who he still holds a great record. Better than his record against Federer. and especially better than his record against Slam-federer. I really wouldn't like Murray's chances. On the other hand, we'll have to see how Nadal and Novak start next year. They haven't done better this week than Murray has. He could beat them if they don't improve. So maybe being in Nadal's quarter wouldn't be that bad.

batz
11-28-2009, 02:23 AM
It would be interesting. But Murray would have a great chance to go out early again. I think he'd better face Del potro, against who he still holds a great record. Better than his record against Federer. and especially better than his record against Slam-federer. I really wouldn't like Murray's chances. On the other hand, we'll have to see how Nadal and Novak start next year. They haven't done better this week than Murray has. He could beat them if they don't improve. So maybe being in Nadal's quarter wouldn't be that bad.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't CHOOSE for Murray to be in roger's quarter; in fact he'd be the last one I'd choose.

Just saying it would be interesting.

Talker
11-28-2009, 04:39 AM
If Delpo wins it all here he should pass Murray if my numbers are right.

malakas
11-28-2009, 04:51 AM
Yes I believe at the beginning of WTF the following scenarios could have happen :

Nadal over Fed for no.1
Djoker over Nad for no.2
Murray over Djok for no.3
DP over Murray for no.4
Davy over Roddick for no.6
Verdasco over Davy for no.7
Soderling over Verdasco for no.8(happened)
Soderling over Davy for no.7

Ranking wise it was a very interesting tournament.

luckyboy1300
11-28-2009, 04:55 AM
And will also guarantee 4th seeding for the AO - by 5 ranking points.

Here's why:

Murray is currently 645 points ahead of JMDP.

A JMDP win tonight takes that gap down to 245 points.

Murray drops 250 Doha points on 11th Jan.

Murray isn't playing a ranking tournament before the AO so he can't recover any of the 250 Doha points.

Therefore, if JMDP wins tonight he will guarantee to be world number 4 on January 11th; the ranking date used for AO seedings.

That one game has cost Murray a lot more than just a place in the WTF semi finals.

isn't potro the defending champ at auckland?

malakas
11-28-2009, 05:02 AM
isn't potro the defending champ at auckland?

The day the points fall off is the day the seeds come out.So they will still count.

sunnyIce
11-28-2009, 05:03 AM
generally these threads seems to be a bit inaccurate. werent there plenty of threads on race for #1 this yr, and rog had to win so many matches, rafa had...djoker had...yada yada? but there was rog winning 1 match and the atp crowned him #1. what a waste of time it was reading through all those threads.
but maybe its worth this discussion for fun,no?

babolat15
11-28-2009, 05:44 AM
the AO will be very interesting this year

batz
11-28-2009, 06:04 AM
The day the points fall off is the day the seeds come out.So they will still count.

You're close. The Auckand points fall off on the 18th, the AO seedings will be as of the 11th.

kishnabe
11-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Sorry Del Potro is not getting past Soderling. I still think DelPo would get to be world number 4 after the Aussie Open. Since he could reach the Semi's and possibly Murray losing before round 4!

Nadalfan89
11-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Good. Murray doesn't belong in the top 10.

jamesblakefan#1
11-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Yeah. It's not like he went 0-3 or anything. :oops:

grafselesfan
11-28-2009, 08:35 AM

I dont like his game or his personality. I would be shocked if he drops out of the top 10 for another say 3 years atleast though.

dantheman
11-28-2009, 02:58 PM
delpony doesn't deserve to be in the top 10
he lags around the court to much
and he also has to defend aukland

Bud
11-28-2009, 04:02 PM
delpony doesn't deserve to be in the top 10
he lags around the court to much
and he also has to defend aukland

He definitely deserves to be in the top 10... and much more so than Soderling who he thrashed, earlier today :)

President
11-28-2009, 04:14 PM
He definitely deserves to be in the top 10... and much more so than Soderling who he thrashed, earlier today :)

Sure, if you consider winning in a third set tiebreaker a thrashing.

No one in the top 10 doesn't deserve to be there. They are all there by virtue of strong performances this season, and the points they earned through them.

Rhino
11-28-2009, 05:49 PM

He will drop his Auckland points - also 250. Auckland official field will be announced on Wednesday. Del Potro will not be defending...

flying24
11-28-2009, 05:57 PM
It would make sense. He is a better player than Murray right now.

Lotto
11-29-2009, 02:56 AM
I would love to see Roger beat Murray in the quarters, Djokovic in the semis and Rafa in the final....it would really send a message...."Hey guys, I'm still the boss"

dantheman
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM

his 1 grandslam was a fluke
and during todays match showed how he wasnt prepared to win a masters
he seriously isnt top 10 material

volleynets
11-29-2009, 11:16 AM

Yes he is, he is not #1 material though. With FO SF and USO W and multiple defeats of Federer and Nadal this year as well as many finals he deserves top ten.

Bud
11-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Anyone who watched him beat Federer knows it was no fluke.

Soderling, reaching the FO final... to be promptly dispatched by Federer is the only fluke, here.

AM95
11-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I would love to see Roger beat Murray in the quarters, Djokovic in the semis and Rafa in the final....it would really send a message...."Hey guys, I'm still the boss"

for sure i would love to see that too..but unfortunately that probably wont happen

volleynets
11-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Soderling, reaching the FO final... to be promptly dispatched by Federer is the only fluke, here.

LOL another post trying to discredit that Federer beat seven people and fairly won the French Open. There was no fluke. Federer played Betterer in the final so deal with it.

batz
11-29-2009, 01:14 PM
He will drop his Auckland points - also 250. Auckland official field will be announced on Wednesday. Del Potro will not be defending...

Auckland points don't fall off until 18th Jan. AO seedings are as per rankings of 11th Jan - the day Murray's Doha points fall off and JMDP takes the number 4 ranking by 5 points.

dantheman
11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
delpony fans everywhere
i don't see why every likes him so much
poor sportsman ship and lags around the courts

StumpyDaMooseGod
11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
delpony fans everywhere

Don't feed the troll.

dantheman
11-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't feed the troll.

^^^^^
stumpydamoosegod disfavors delpony more than me
he doesn't even deserve than slam
pathetic player
lots of other players with more talent than him

kishnabe
11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
delpony fans everywhere

You sir or mam are on crakc. He is a great sportsman if you don't see his gestures. Even murray is an okay sportsman after a match. During a match he is.... Ok Delpo may lag around the court but by his height his speed is commendable. You can't win a slam by being slow.

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Murray is the end of year no.4 though:)

Bud
11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
LOL another post trying to discredit that Federer beat seven people and fairly won the French Open. There was no fluke. Federer played Betterer in the final so deal with it.

Go re-read the post. I was discrediting Soderboy, not Federer :oops:

Stop the insecurity about your tennis hero... it's getting old :-?

T1000
11-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Go re-read the post. I was discrediting Soderboy, not Federer :oops:

Stop the insecurity about your tennis hero... it's getting old :-?

still bitter about that 4th round beatdown :oops:

watch him bring up the Hewitt match the round before

jamesblakefan#1
11-29-2009, 07:50 PM

I don't see how a guy who beats the #2 and #3 players in the world in consecutive matches, straight sets nonetheless, can be considered a fluke.

Unless of course you're a jilted Nadal fan (which you are) So now it makes sense.

akv89
11-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't know if people noticed it but according to the ATP website, Del Potro was accidentally ranked at #4 for a few minutes today because the 500 pts that were supposed to be added to Davydenko for winning today were instead added to Del Potro. It has now been rectified.

jimbo333
11-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Well done to Murray though for finishing the year at No.4 in the World for the 2nd year in a row:)

(But if he doesn't change his game a bit and go for a few more winners at the right time, it'll be downhill from now on)