PDA

View Full Version : Some info. on a personal Heart Rate Monitor

i love t3nn1s
11-28-2009, 01:03 AM
I decided to buy a personal heart rate monitor to see how many calories i burn while working out and running. THe problem is that i have no clue or experience on these things, and i was wondering if there are any of on this forum that has experience with them

I would like to know which is the most accurate, reliable, battery life, and most importantly, the price range of these things.

I really dont need a very fancy one or anything. Just mainly a one that counts the amount of calories burnt, and the accuracy of it.

Thanx!

Moz
11-28-2009, 01:43 AM
As burning calories is an intensely individual thing I think any device like this is never going to be very accurate.

However, if you want to get one that at least pays homage to accuracy get one that works out calorie consumption in relation to maximum heart rate, or heart rate zones, age and weight. That will at least will give some correlation with level of effort.

If you get one that use to keep your running at the right level to burn more calories that's a different matter of course. My recommendation is to use one in this manner if you want one and to ignore any calorie guess it comes up with.

Thing is - as long as the hrm takes note of your training zones none is more accurate than any other because all it's doing is using published averages to work it out (although it will be a slightly more accurate published average if it asks for age and weight).

chess9
11-28-2009, 07:41 AM
LOL! HRMs are almost worthless for counting caloric burn rate.

If you are trying to lose weight, simply increase your training load while decreasing calories slightly.

My HRM is a Polar rs400 sd. They are a bit pricey, but they are worth it if you are training seriously or racing.

-Robert

mike53
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
If you still want to buy a heart rate monitor, this is the one I use:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___57763

Works fine for heart rate but for calories you are on your own.

cneblett
12-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Instead of a HR monitor, I bought a device from body media which tracks how many calories you burn at all times. You can either load onto the website or purchase a viewer which lets you can view. It also tracks your sleep pattern and a few other things. It is not cheap and does require a monthly fee to use the website to track your info.