PDA

View Full Version : Tennis grips

joeri888
11-28-2009, 02:16 AM
I just don't know ANYTHING about grips. both forehand and backhand. I really don't understand anything about it. I don't play something you guys would call tennis myself (though it's on the same court with the same rules). Could anyone explain to me what is what, and what difference the different grips make?

fed_the_savior
11-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Basically it's how rotated your grip is parallel with the racket face. Holding it like a hammer is continental, generally used for serves and volleys. Rotate that a little anti-clockwise, you have backhand grips. Rotate it forward, you have forehand grips. The more you rotate, the more easily spin comes, generally.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 03:13 AM
Basically it's how rotated your grip is parallel with the racket face. Holding it like a hammer is continental, generally used for serves and volleys. Rotate that a little anti-clockwise, you have backhand grips. Rotate it forward, you have forehand grips. The more you rotate, the more easily spin comes, generally.

Just to add a little something to your excellent description, the further you rotate toward the forehand grip, the more "western" the grip is.