PDA

View Full Version : Slice EBH grip - Thanks LeeD

W Cats
11-28-2009, 08:57 AM
About a year ago you had posted the benefits of using an EBH grip for the slice, I remembered a bit of discussion on the topic with everyone weighing in the matter. Several members on the board tried it besides myself and it was the missing ingredient for my slice. In the Spring I added it to my coaching repitore and it paid big dividends for our doubles team that took 2nd in State.

I finally had a chance to integrate it into my own game this Fall and my slices have never been better.:):)

Gary

Roy125
11-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Can you tell me the benefits of using that grip for the slice? I wasn't around when he posted that.

LeeD
11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Good stuff, glad it worked...
I don't really advocate EHB for slice backhands, more conti with an EBH flavor twisted into it.....
Extreme biting slice, usually low over the net and really biting and skidding, to force the opponent to really set up correctly, watch the ball, and stroke thru with good technique.
Of course, it doesn't work if you do it all the time, but hopefully, on that one in 4 stroke, it can throw the opponent's slightly off balance, enough to get a following high volley.

W Cats
11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
It helps me get the racquet head a bit more perpendicular to the ground, especially if the bounce isa bit higher as I'm only 5'7". The balls have more pace to them and skid pretty low. I'm using it with a full EBH grip on returns and I can either slice or topspin drive w/o changing grips. If the ball comes to me low I have to rotate it to the standard Conti grip though.

KenC
11-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I started using a cross between conti and eastern (V on the first bevel) because I was getting nerve twinges with a full conti. My coach said turn it to the "extreme continental" and the twinges went away, plus, as people are saying here, my slice has much more power behind it now. I have to hit the ball slightly more in front of me so it could be I get better weight transfer going into the shot. The downside is that precision becomes more important as there is less room over the net to keep the ball in.

MasturB
11-28-2009, 11:25 PM
It's kinda weird because when I first started playing, I practiced an EBH topspin shot and had no slice. I never felt comfortable with continental as my slice, and then I experimented and used EBH for slice and I was getting some nasty spin.

Low line drives barely JUST clearing the net, and mean maybe by half an inch, and the great part is they stayed low and just skidded. Got plenty of compliments.

Now I know how to slice with EBH and CONT. I use continental mainly for defense and to change the pace, and every now and then I'll use EBH for slice as an offensive weapon.

--

If anyone remembers Federer v Nadal, Break Point in the 5th set, Federer used an EBH slice that was nasty and had the crowd go "OOOOHHH" and his next shot is the one that hit the line for break point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBZSJbdi4lA
At 5:36. It's defintely a continental with an EBH spice.