PDA

View Full Version : Is the Nadal-Federer domination years over?

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Is it?

We have both these guys losing quite a bit now....Nadal beaten at FO, Roger beaten at USO .

CMM
11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Unless doctor Fuentes is dead, I don't think so...

tudwell
11-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Nah, they're just tired from destroying everybody the rest of the season. They'll come out firing in 2010 and we'll all feel stupid for doubting them.

cuddles26
11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Unless doctor Fuentes is dead, I don't think so...

Keep dreaming. Nadal has been destroyed by nearly every top 10 player he has played since his comeback. He even would have lost to players like Robredo and Almagro if they didnt choke badly. Federer is losing to people like French nobody Benaboo or something, and struggling or losing to his old pigeons like Verdasco and Davydenko now, while getting owned by a barely past teenager like Del Potro.

malakas
11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Definitely.

Serena's just starting!Take cover!

Jchurch
11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't think so. I think Nadal will retune his game and still get to the quarters of all the slams. Federer needs rest as do most of the other people at the tourney. I'd say all slams except Wimbledon are a toss up though.

GasquetGOAT
11-28-2009, 10:09 AM
What domination? There was never any domination, only weak field, chokester opponents and cakewalk draws...

Jchurch
11-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Keep dreaming. Nadal has been destroyed by nearly every top 10 player he has played since his comeback. He even would have lost to players like Robredo and Almagro if they didnt choke badly. Federer is losing to people like French nobody Benaboo or something, and struggling or losing to his old pigeons like Verdasco and Davydenko now, while getting owned by a barely past teenager like Del Potro.

Oh he is just passed a teenager? What does that mean? There is no set age for a tennis player to hit their prime. Nadal sure hit his a lot earlier than Federer right?

edmondsm
11-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Hahaha, that was seriously funny.

Anyway, I think Mr. Tennis might be on to something. These two can't win every slam forever. 2010 might see some actually variety in the people holding up GS trophies.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
They might not dominate quite as much as they were a couple of years ago, but they still have alot left and will be competing for slams for a while, along with others being in the mix.

markwillplay
11-28-2009, 10:19 AM
for Nadal....over....Fed has too much variety in his game not to win a bunch.l I think when he is on, he is still by far the best...he will just be on a little less. To me, it makes watching more fun and will probably make watching Fed even more fun...he will start to get really hungry now. I know he has always been, but when you beat everybody for a while, you can lose that feeling of clawing your way to the finish line. I think it is great that others "think" they have a chance against him.

By the way bro, Davy is NOT playing like an old goat...damn if he does not have the most awesome footwork for a baseliner I think I have ever seen. He has been fun to watch and I hate baseline only tennis. that is why I love fed and hope he stays around a long time..he can get on a roll offensively and just blow people away (duh). I believe that the intimidation factor is much less and that some of these players have folded to him badly in the past.....He will have to earn it for sure now.

OddJack
11-28-2009, 10:26 AM
No.

Have good day.

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=markwillplay;4154720]for Nadal....over....Fed has too much variety in his game not to win a bunch.[/quote ]

Nadal has a few more FO left in him for sure....he is almost perfect....he only has one loss. Roger on the other hand is in danger on every surface . He may very well go slamless in 2010.

cork_screw
11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I hope not, it'll be really boring watching the del potros hit those ugly looking forehands. Or maybe a really boring looping rally by Davydenko. I think people are more interested in watching upsets and seeing fed or nad get knocked out than hoping one or the other will win. People do like to see a good upset. Now let's talk about those colts...

BMC9670
11-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I think the word "domination" makes me say yes.

I think they will both win more slams and stay in the top 10 for more years, but I don't think we'll see Fed as "dominant" as he was since 2004. Why? He's not playing as hungry as he was before the record and he's lost some of the swagger from losing. Plus, I think other top guys are coming into matches with better game plans and having success. In short, he's just not as unbeatable as he seemed in the past.

As for Nadal, same thing, I think he'll be up there for years to come, but I don't see him staying healthy enough, long enough, to be "dominant" over the quality of players he has to play all he time.

Serendipitous
11-28-2009, 11:11 AM
No, it's just getting started.

rocket
11-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Is it?

We have both these guys losing quite a bit now....Nadal beaten at FO, Roger beaten at USO .

Anyone else in a slam final more than once, in the same calendar year?

Dilettante
11-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Benaboo is easily my new favorite player.

TheTruth
11-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Even if Rafa and Fed's domination is over, there will still be a transitionary period. I think they'll still add to their grand slam totals, but others are seriously in their kitchens, and some are actually stirring the pots.

markwillplay
11-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Mr. Tennis...good point...I would expect that Nadal will still be great on Clay. I just think that he is done on other surfaces. I think that Fed (when playing well) is capable of winning any slam at any time. Her still has the best complete game out there.

kishnabe
11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
2010 is a year of suprises and as this year is going it seems anything can happen. I don't expect Nadal and Federer domination as to be as potent as before but still there to give fear to the other players.

ClubHoUno
11-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe huge domination, but Nadal is still the best on clay, and Fed the best on any other surface - by a HUGE margin !

rafan
11-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Even if Rafa and Fed's domination is over, there will still be a transitionary period. I think they'll still add to their grand slam totals, but others are seriously in their kitchens, and some are actually stirring the pots.

There always has been someone in their kitchen - but they got burned when least expected

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Fed the best on any other surface - by a HUGE margin !

If Nadal returns to form I'm not sure that you can still say that about Fed.

AM95
11-29-2009, 06:35 AM
the trend will continue

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 05:38 AM
There always has been someone in their kitchen - but they got burned when least expected

That's a good way of putting it!

Anaconda
12-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Maybe huge domination, but Nadal is still the best on clay, and Fed the best on any other surface - by a HUGE margin !

So is that why he didn't win a hardcourt slam since last year, or the fact that he was beaten last year at Wimbledon and nearly lost this year too. Yep, huge margin.....

or not.

dh003i
12-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Federer has had the most consistent results of any players on hard-courts. If not for a few bad decisions and really poor serving days for him at the AO and USO, he'd be sitting with a calendar year grand slam this year. Federer is the reigning French Open champion, and had the best clay-court season this year; it is thus reasonable to put him as at least the 2nd favorite at the FO.

Nadal is still the best clay-courter when he's playing well. That will depend on his health.

JoshDragon
12-06-2009, 12:46 PM

He's the best on grass but not by a huge margin and I'm not sure if he's the best on hard courts anymore. He still has that losing h2h against Murray and Del Potro did beat him for the US Open this year.

P_Agony
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM

How are you sir Williams?

NandoMania
12-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Is it?

What a great avatar you have, Mr. Tennis! :D

It's inevitable. Time marches on. I wouldn't say "it's over," but it is drawing to a close. Roger's at least 5 years older than Rafa, isn't he? Maybe his style of play will allow him to ultimately play longer total number of years, but I believe both will be beaten increasingly in 2010.

kolo
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
wait 2-3 years and dig up this thread :)