PDA

View Full Version : James Blake is the fastest player on tour

HunterST
11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
During the 2009 US open the announcer's commented that in terms of running speed, based on a 200m dash I believe, James Blake is the fastest guy on tour. That indicates to me that his drop in play isn't due to aging because usually when a player's game drops due to getting older it is highlighted by a drop in quickness.

Anything you have seen that has caused his level of play to drop? Hopefully this new coach he's trying things out with will get him to use some of that speed.

edmondsm
11-28-2009, 10:25 AM
When did the ATP top 50 run the 200m dash to give the announcer this stat? His game is "go for broke" and if he's lost even a millisecond of footspeed it will really show up in his results.

viduka0101
11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
When did the ATP top 50 run the 200m dash to give the announcer this stat? His game is "go for broke" and if he's lost even a millisecond of footspeed it will really show up in his results.

exactly?:???:

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I would think James Blake is among the quickest for sure. He still seems quick from watching on television and the last time I saw him in an exhibition live a couple of years ago I know he was fast then. I think Blake waited too long to get a new coach.

HunterST
11-28-2009, 10:32 AM

well I'm guessing a lot of their times have just been unofficially reported, and Blake's is the fastest. 200m repeats is a very common workout for tennis players. It'd be like if the announcers said ____ football player had the heaviest bench press in the NFL.

Ocean Drive
11-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I would think James Blake is among the quickest for sure. He still seems quick from watching on television and the last time I saw him in an exhibition live a couple of years ago I know he was fast then. I think Blake waited too long to get a new coach.

He achieved his best results with Barker, he had been there since childhood, why would he change coach? He's 30 years old. Generally when you hit 27 your results go downhill. He's no exception.

cork_screw
11-28-2009, 10:47 AM
ah, commentators just make things up on the spot. a lot of times they don't have accurate information, but more or less just ad-lib just to keep the information flowing. I wouldn't take what they say as a literal fact. I know that there's some commentators who know nothing of what they were flown in to commentate on but they get called into to commentate and they have to constantly make stuff up or read from fact sheets, that goes from a third party research team. There were a few big commentators who worked on the winter olympics and (international) and did not follow those events at all. I thought it was a joke when Suzy Kolber was chosen to contribute to ESPN's wimbledon coverage panel, not just for a segment, but for the entire tournament. She's oblivious as it is with football, but now they have her doing tennis? Enjoying the sport on a recreational/entertainment level is one thing. Providing people with insider's knowledge is something totally different.
But I'm sure the commentator who stated that J. Blake was the fastest guy on tour was just decorating a play or maybe a comparison at that time that the quote was made. He's not slow, but he's not the fastest. I think that's an obvious observation.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 10:50 AM
He achieved his best results with Barker, he had been there since childhood, why would he change coach? He's 30 years old. Generally when you hit 27 your results go downhill. He's no exception.

We'll never know now, but I felt he needed a new coach about '02-'03. If he had changed coaches then, maybe his best result wouldn't have been ONE USO quarterfinal. Barker's resume isn't going to be too high glow with those results.

HunterST
11-28-2009, 11:11 AM
ah, commentators just make things up on the spot. a lot of times they don't have accurate information, but more or less just ad-lib just to keep the information flowing. I wouldn't take what they say as a literal fact. I know that there's some commentators who know nothing of what they were flown in to commentate on but they get called into to commentate and they have to constantly make stuff up or read from fact sheets, that goes from a third party research team. There were a few big commentators who worked on the winter olympics and (international) and did not follow those events at all. I thought it was a joke when Suzy Kolber was chosen to contribute to ESPN's wimbledon coverage panel, not just for a segment, but for the entire tournament. She's oblivious as it is with football, but now they have her doing tennis? Enjoying the sport on a recreational/entertainment level is one thing. Providing people with insider's knowledge is something totally different.
But I'm sure the commentator who stated that J. Blake was the fastest guy on tour was just decorating a play or maybe a comparison at that time that the quote was made. He's not slow, but he's not the fastest. I think that's an obvious observation.

Well, actually they just kind of brought it up out of nowhere. It was John Mcenroe and the play by play guy that had done the whole tournament. I doubt they'd just completely make up this fact.

Dilettante
11-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I'd say one of the fastest for sure.

canuckfan
11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, actually they just kind of brought it up out of nowhere. It was John Mcenroe and the play by play guy that had done the whole tournament. I doubt they'd just completely make up this fact.

Yes, they would make it up. They do it all the time. TV commentators are entertainers, not beacons of truth. MacEnroe in particular makes stuff up on a regular basis. Blake is indeed one of the quickest on tour, but there have been no official or unofficial sprint times, that's a total fabrication. And if there were, the 200 meter distance is useless. Tennis is all about explosive change of direction combined with great anticipation. Running 200 in one direction is not a reliable indication of anything at the pro tennis level.

kishnabe
11-28-2009, 01:11 PM
James Blake is consistenly fast but not the fastest. I have to give that to Gael Monfils.

egn
11-28-2009, 01:13 PM
James Blake would beat Monfils only if Monfils had to run twice the distance..even then it might be close.

iTennis1
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
In the 40 yard dash id take:

1.bjorn phau
2.gael monfils
3.james blake

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 01:19 PM
In the 40 yard dash id take:

1.bjorn phau

who?.......seriously, time for a quick "google"

CallOfBooty
11-28-2009, 01:55 PM
The fastest 200m dash runner in the ATP tour will not be the fastest tennis player. Not even the forty yard dash is a good measure considering a tennis court is not even forty feet wide. One singles sideline to the other is only 27 feet. From the net to the baseline is about 39 feet. Acceleration is much more important, and although James Blake is still extremely fast, I have not seen anyone get more balls than Nadal or Monfils. Especially considering Nadal is most noted for using the drop step very effectively.

Ambivalent
11-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Directional changing is WAY more important in tennis. The farthest you'll ever run in one direction on a tennis court probably wont exceed 15 meters.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Directional changing is WAY more important in tennis. The farthest you'll ever run in one direction on a tennis court probably wont exceed 15 meters.

Exactly. In tennis, "fast" and "quick" are entirely different.

iTennis1
11-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Is that the distance from the baseline to the net?

Gugafan
11-28-2009, 05:06 PM
His footwork has clearly declined. He can still use the big forehand if in control of the point, but his defense has totally sucked all year. I mean he couldnt even beat below par Nadal at Shangahi, on his faviourite surface.

Currently Murray, Nadal, Monfils, Djokovic all cover the court better than Blake.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Blake is toast and its not because he is a step slower.

flying24
11-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Right now, definitely not. In the mid 2000s he was up there with the top though, although I still think Nadal, Federer, or Monfils was the fastest depending on your definition.