PDA

View Full Version : Tennis In New York Sucks

cork_screw
11-28-2009, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of crappy tennis players out in New York. A lot of beginners or inflaters who tell you they are 4.5's who are really 3.5's and so on. Central Park is full of dinosaurs. LES has some decent players but they probably think they're better than they really are. And McCarren Park (williamsburg) has some of the worst tennis players of all. I can never get a decent partner from there. Don't know too much about Fort Greene, but I assume it's not that much better there either. I sure do miss california for my tennis fix. San Diego and Los Angeles have good caliber players (sigh)...

J011yroger
11-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I'll meet you at the NTC if you feel like taking a subway ride. If you don't feel that I am a worthy practice partner, I will pick up the court fees.

J

Dedans Penthouse
11-28-2009, 03:07 PM
There are a lot of crappy tennis players out in New York. A lot of beginners or inflaters who tell you they are 4.5's who are really 3.5's and so on. Central Park is full of dinosaurs. LES has some decent players but they probably think they're better than they really are. And McCarren Park (williamsburg) has some of the worst tennis players of all. I can never get a decent partner from there. Don't know too much about Fort Greene, but I assume it's not that much better there either. I sure do miss california for my tennis fix. San Diego and Los Angeles have good caliber players (sigh)...

Yep.......westchester luvs ya..... cork-screwed-on-straight....

good generalization. well played. ;-)

snoopy
11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
The number of good players is definitely going to be higher in southern california.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Ive been trying to find out about the tennis-scene in NYC-To the OP- thanx!

SuperFly
11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Just a side question, probably irrelevant... does the Billie Jean King Tennis Center allow people to play on their courts when the US Open is over? If they don't it would seem like a waste of a building :???:

JoelDali
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Just a side question, probably irrelevant... does the Billie Jean King Tennis Center allow people to play on their courts when the US Open is over? If they don't it would seem like a waste of a building :???:

Lol, of course they do.

JoelDali
11-28-2009, 04:19 PM

This is a problem everywhere champ, not just NYC.

Try the Roosevelt Island Advanced Singles league. Let us know if you beat the top 3 guys there. I don't think you will.

http://www.rirctennis.com/adult.htm#ASL

stormholloway
11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm probably one of the hackers the OP is referring to. My trouble with NYC isn't the caliber of player. It's the lack of real estate. But dude, you're going to public parks. Of course you're going to have bad players. It's people who just grabbed their old racquets out of their closets and went out to get some sun. Or it's new couples flirting with each other.

May I insinuate that you are possibly new to NYC and simply don't know that many people? Maybe that's the problem.

JoelDali
11-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I'll meet you at the NTC if you feel like taking a subway ride. If you don't feel that I am a worthy practice partner, I will pick up the court fees.

J

Jolly look out....its a trap.

http://www.itsnature.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/goblinjaw.JPG

J011yroger
11-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Good thinking, I will send Stormy out first to soften him up.

J

luckyfool
11-28-2009, 08:47 PM

http://www.itsnature.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/goblinjaw.JPG

what on earth is that beast?

luckyfool
11-28-2009, 08:50 PM

what is your level? what level are you seeking? I live in NYC and i have a hard time finding players at my level as well.

JoelDali
11-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok cool. Also, I think if you were to hit 9000 posts before you hit with this 6.9 ringer it would give you a most delicious edge mentally. I mean jeeze, the guy has a pathetic post count.

Seriously, Mr. Screw, there's tons of good players out there but finding them at CP and LES on Sunday morning is not the way to go about it. The best thing to do is play the many open tourneys during the year at Sutton, FH, Randall's, and get to know the non sucky players that will go in depth about swingweights, PJs and ideal lead tape applications.

Your generalization is quite sweeping. I'm sure Florida and Southern Cal have their FULL share of pathetic posers, and I bet the majority of them play with Babolat racquets.

Tennis and golf is infiltrated by insidiously blatant hackilishious liars, you must rise above. You simply must. Do it for yourself, and do it for Johnny man, do it for Johnny.

J011yroger
11-28-2009, 09:08 PM
what is your level? what level are you seeking? I live in NYC and i have a hard time finding players at my level as well.

I smell doubles!

J

crash1929
11-28-2009, 09:15 PM
What are the better clubs in nyc? Where does McEnroe play?

J011yroger
11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Sportime Randalls Island, or Cityview.

You thinking of challenging him?

Courier, and Noah also play at Cityview.

J

J011yroger
11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Mac used to play at that place in Long Island City with the red clay. Tennisport I think?

J

JoelDali
11-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeop, Tennisport closed down.

JoelDali
11-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Courier and Edberg play at Randall's occasionally too. What a sight that is. Edberg is God.

J011yroger
11-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Edberg is God.

Imagine if he switched to a bigger racquet and shored up that lame backhand.

J

Fedace
11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
What about national tennis center,, i heard there are some 4.5 players there..