PDA

View Full Version : I tried playing Left 4 Dead 2 off steam, and....

Mansewerz
11-28-2009, 10:21 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/34ypn9y.jpg

I'm guessing this means my vid card sucks? It went slow (everyone was always ahead of me), and the sound skipped often.

dcjaybutchdc
11-28-2009, 12:20 PM
that looks like it came out early in the decade. maybe it is your card. but to think about it, if your card sucks that much idk how you would be able to get around and install it without the game saying "cannot install cause your card sucks"

adams_1
11-28-2009, 06:19 PM
May we see some specs?

Mansewerz
11-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, my pc is the HP p6110.

My graphics card is Intel GMA 3100.

Ronny
11-28-2009, 08:11 PM
nope, ur vid card sucks

Mansewerz
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Would it be a pain to upgrade my graphics card? Is there any compatibility issues?

adams_1
11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Integrated graphics aren't going to cut it here. A decent dedicated card is really a requirement for any modern game.

Here (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2464.html) is a nice little guide to the best cards for the money at the moment.

ayuname
11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
it takes about $150 for a decent video card and about 20 minutes to set up a video card.

Mansewerz
11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
20 mins doesn't sound bad at all. Are there any issues I should look out for?

flyinghippos101
11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Few things to consider

-does your case have the neccesary PCI-E x16 slot on the motherboard available? AGP slots won't cut it.
-do you have a power supply that could support a mid-ranged card that could run L4D 2 smoothly? Usually these mid range cards need about a 400 W power supply unit. Factory models usually come equipped with either a 300W or 350 W power supply
-do you have enough room in your case to fit a video card? Video cards vary in size, some can have a massive fan on the card in which case it could occupy two PCI-E x 16 slots.

Installation is otherwise pretty simple, just insert and you're pretty much done.

mtommer
11-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Few things to consider

-does your case have the neccesary PCI-E x16 slot on the motherboard available? AGP slots won't cut it.
-do you have a power supply that could support a mid-ranged card that could run L4D 2 smoothly? Usually these mid range cards need about a 400 W power supply unit. Factory models usually come equipped with either a 300W or 350 W power supply
-do you have enough room in your case to fit a video card? Video cards vary in size, some can have a massive fan on the card in which case it could occupy two PCI-E x 16 slots.

Installation is otherwise pretty simple, just insert and you're pretty much done.
+1

adams_1
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM

If you are limited to AGP there's still some hope though - there are some reasonable options. I'm fairly sure you can get a 4650 to suit, which, while not the fastest card out there, would be more than capable of running L4D2 quite well.

Nice post, flyinghippos.

Mansewerz
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Few things to consider

I'm guessing the only way to know is by opening it up?
300-350 isn't adequte?
How many fans do you think I should get?

Do I have to install software?

Questions in bold.

If you are limited to AGP there's still some hope though - there are some reasonable options. I'm fairly sure you can get a 4650 to suit, which, while not the fastest card out there, would be more than capable of running L4D2 quite well.

Nice post, flyinghippos.

I don't need top of the line, I just want something that will run most games smoothly.

Mansewerz
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Turns out I have a 250 watt power supply. I guess I just have to accept that it's not a gaming pc. I'll just have to learn for next time.

mtommer
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
First I would plug in your model number, the entire number as there are several HP 6110 iterations, at hp.com and glance at the specs. Then post them.

You may have to reset a video jumper so that the PCI-Express slot, if you have one, is available for use. But don't worry about this yet as it may not even be needed.

Then I would actually suggest a 4850 or 5850 ATI card. If you have the processor and memory these two cards will play all of today's game pretty well. As for software, once you install the card you will have to install the latest 9.11 Catalyst drivers from ATI but this you just download, click to start and then let run. You would have two options, Catalyst Control Center w/ driver or just the driver. You can just go with the driver to do the click and go bit. I would suggest NewEgg.com for the vid card.

flyinghippos101
11-30-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm guessing the only way to know is by opening it up?

Yup, it will state it on the power supply unit. Or go on the manufacturer's website

300-350 isn't adequte?

Well you could always try but I would recommend against it. Some people have pulled it off and are running 9800 GTs on 300 W Power supplies. But if you do try it, expect your power supply being loud as hell 24/7 and detrimental to your hardware.

How many fans do you think I should get?

Considering how you just want a midrange video card that can play most of today's games smoothly, one fan video cards are more than enough. These will usually just occupy one slot. If you wanna go beyond however in terms of performance, these higher end cards are pretty thick so you'd need both the extra slot AND the additional space in your case.

Turns out I have a 250 watt power supply. I guess I just have to accept that it's not a gaming pc. I'll just have to learn for next time.

Well for maybe 70 bucks (50 if you find a good deal) you could maybe get a good 400-450W Power supply. And a ATI HD 4850 is only 100-120 bucks. a few extra sticks of ram is 15 bucks apiece and assuming you have atleast a Core 2 duo processor, then pimping your computer to "mid-range" should cost a little more than 200 bucks.

Mansewerz
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Yup, it will state it on the power supply unit. Or go on the manufacturer's website

Well you could always try but I would recommend against it. Some people have pulled it off and are running 9800 GTs on 300 W Power supplies. But if you do try it, expect your power supply being loud as hell 24/7 and detrimental to your hardware.

Considering how you just want a midrange video card that can play most of today's games smoothly, one fan video cards are more than enough. These will usually just occupy one slot. If you wanna go beyond however in terms of performance, these higher end cards are pretty thick so you'd need both the extra slot AND the additional space in your case.

Well for maybe 70 bucks (50 if you find a good deal) you could maybe get a good 400-450W Power supply. And a ATI HD 4850 is only 100-120 bucks. a few extra sticks of ram is 15 bucks apiece and assuming you have atleast a Core 2 duo processor, then pimping your computer to "mid-range" should cost a little more than 200 bucks.

Dual core processor. My ram is more than enough (6 gigs), just the damn power supply and video card.

It's not too bad though, i guess I could upgrade sometime in the near future. Or, I'll be getting a laptop probably next year (going off to college fall of 2011), and I can get a nice gaming laptop (my bro is lucky and got a sweet Sony Vaio Fw series notebook).

Besides, i've got a ps3 and this pc is much better than my last one

flyinghippos101
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Dual core processor. My ram is more than enough (6 gigs), just the damn power supply and video card.

It's not too bad though, i guess I could upgrade sometime in the near future. Or, I'll be getting a laptop probably next year (going off to college fall of 2011), and I can get a nice gaming laptop (my bro is lucky and got a sweet Sony Vaio Fw series notebook).

Besides, i've got a ps3 and this pc is much better than my last one

I must say then, all you have to do is pimp out your Power supply and your video card and you got yourself a decent rig there. :D

Mansewerz
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I must say then, all you have to do is pimp out your Power supply and your video card and you got yourself a decent rig there. :D

I can get by on the dual core?

flyinghippos101
11-30-2009, 05:13 PM
I can get by on the dual core?

Definately, most games dont have any support for quad core processors and are usually developed based around the dual core processor so you could even say that some games will run better on a dual core than it would say, a quad core. but what's the speed of the processor?

Mansewerz
12-01-2009, 12:45 PM
2.6 ghz

10 chars

adams_1
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM
2.6 ghz

That should be fine for a Source engine game.

I smell overclocking potential... HP bios probably wouldn't make that possible though :C

Mansewerz
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
That should be fine for a Source engine game.

I smell overclocking potential... HP bios probably wouldn't make that possible though :C

Source engine game? What do most modern games like in terms of processor speed?