PDA

View Full Version : Borg-Nadal....is history repeating itself?

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Borg had won 4 FO's in a row and then was beaten by a serve and volleyer by the name of Panatta. Borg came back the following years amd won 2 more FO's.

Simialarly Nadal also won 4 FO's amd then was beaten by a Power player who played the net by the name of Soderling. Will Nadal return and win 2 more FO's like Borg did?

volleynets
11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Could be! and then retire to complete the coincidence???

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Borg had won 4 FO's in a row and then was beaten by a serve and volleyer by the name of Panatta. Borg came back the following years amd won 2 more FO's.

Simialarly Nadal also won 4 FO's amd then was beaten by a Power player who played the net by the name of Soderling. Will Nadal return and win 2 more FO's like Borg did?

Borg won four in a row AFTER loosing to Panatta in '76 and missing the tournament entirely in '77, then won the four in a row.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I think it is possible for Nadal to win another French or two. I don't think Nadal will ever be as highly regarded as being an all around great like Borg.

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Borg won four in a row AFTER loosing to Panatta in '76 and missing the tournament entirely in '77, then won the four in a row.

I believe Borg was Beaten twice by Panetta at the FO.

But did he skip the FO? Hmmmm.....seems there are more similarities than I thought!

They also both hit with more topspin than anyone in their day.

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Yup , I am right .

Panetta beat Borg twice at the FO. First in 73 and then again in 76.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 12:40 PM

But did he skip the FO? Hmmmm.....seems there are more similarities than I thought!

Yes, Borg lost to Panatta twice there. In '73 his first attempt and again in '76 when Panatta went on to win the title. Panatta was the only player to ever beat Borg at the French. Soderling won't even come close to winning the French again.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Yup , I am right .

Panetta beat Borg twice at the FO. First in 73 and then again in 76.

....and yes, Borg did not play the French in '77.

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Wow! I think panetta was more of a shock than soderling. How the hell does a serve and volleyer beat the all time king if clay Bjorn Borg at the FO???

Everyone must have been shocked.

Mustard
11-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Bjorn Borg had to miss the French Open in 1977 because he decided to play World Team Tennis that year. Guillermo Vilas won the 1977 French Open in Borg's absence.

Borg's record at the French Open is:

1973: Round of 16 Loser (lost to Panatta in 4 sets - Nastase won the French Open)
1974: Champion (defeated Orantes in 5 sets in the final)
1975: Champion (defeated Vilas in 3 sets in the final)
1976: Quarter Final Loser (lost to Panatta in 4 sets - Panatta won the French Open)
1978: Champion (defeated Vilas in 3 sets in the final)
1979: Champion (defeated Pecci in 4 sets in the final)
1980: Champion (defeated Gerulaitis in 3 sets in the final)
1981: Champion (defeated Lendl in 5 sets in the final)

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
....and yes, Borg did not play the French in '77.

Why did Borg do the "nadal" and skip the 77 FO....( or rather should I say....Nadal did the "Borg").

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Why did Borg do the "nadal" and skip the 77 FO....( or rather should I say....Nadal did the "Borg").

see above post

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I believe the 1981 final was the only gramsslam final where a wood racquet was pitted against a graphite racquet ( oddly enuf the wood racquet won!!).

Mustard
11-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow! I think panetta was more of a shock than soderling. How the hell does a serve and volleyer beat the all time king if clay Bjorn Borg at the FO???

Everyone must have been shocked.

Panatta beat Borg precisely because he was a serve and volley player. It's also why Tanner gave Borg his toughest match during his amazing 1978 French Open win. This would never have been the case with baseline players like Borg.

I've watched the 1978 French Open final between Borg and Vilas many times, being a big Vilas fan, and contrary to popular opinion from people who've only looked at the 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 scoreline, Vilas played some excellent tennis throughout the match, but Borg was just that little bit better in virtually every department. As a result, Vilas' strengths usually became weaknesses when he played Borg.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Panatta beat Borg precisely because he was a serve and volley player. It's also why Tanner gave Borg his toughest match during his amazing 1978 French Open win. This would never have been the case with baseline players like Borg.

I've watched the 1978 French Open final between Borg and Vilas many times, being a big Vilas fan, and contrary to popular opinion from people who've only looked at the 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 scoreline, Vilas played some excellent tennis throughout the match, but Borg was just that little bit better in virtually every department. As a result, Vilas' strengths usually became weaknesses when he played Borg.

There were some incredible rallies in that match. I am a huge Vilas fan as well.

Mustard
11-28-2009, 12:51 PM
There were some incredible rallies in that match. I am a huge Vilas fan as well.

There certainly were. One rally was 86 strokes. I believe it's on youtube.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZMuXBr_Hk

Against anyone else, Vilas wears his opponent down. Against Borg, Borg was that little bit more patient.

Mr. Tennis
11-28-2009, 12:55 PM
The simiarities between Borg and Nadal are astounding. If you are A Borg fan you have to like Nadal....

1- both are kings of clay
2- both feature the greatest topspin of their day
3-both are the most physically fit of their day
4- both have the most insane strokes of their day
5- both won 4 fo's in a row and both were upset by an unlikely opponent
6- both are sex symbols
7- both skipped a grand slam
8- Both are gentlemen
9- both are the most mentally tough of their day
10. Both won the FO and Wimby in the same year

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 01:04 PM
The simiarities between Borg and Nadal are astounding. If you are A Borg fan you have to like Nadal....

1- both are kings of clay
2- both feature the greatest topspin of their day
3-both are the most physically fit of their day
4- both have the most insane strokes of their day
5- both won 4 fo's in a row and both were upset by an unlikely opponent
6- both are sex symbols
7- both skipped a grand slam
8- Both are gentlemen
9- both are the most mentally tough of their day
10. Both won the FO and Wimby in the same year

Indeed I find many similarities.

Mustard
11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
But Nadal also has intensity on court rather than the no emotion demeanour of Borg. Nadal is very alike Borg though, yes.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 01:11 PM
But Nadal also has intensity on court rather than the no emotion demeanour of Borg. Nadal is very alike Borg though, yes.

Probably their biggest difference.

borg number one
11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
There are definitely similarities between the two. Nadal is also a "clutch player", who often comes back and wins matches when he is pushed to the brink. He has steely resolve (although not much of late, due to various issues such as family/injuries) in the way Borg did.

I'd agree that there are many similarities between the two, including incredible athleticism. Both are extremely fast and have tremendous stamina. That's what I see immediately.

Though Borg would not show it on the outside, he had tremendous intensity on the inside. You could see it in how he could simply raise the level of his game at the right times during matches. He would cooly "turn it up several notches" on his opponent and leave the other guy often a bit breathless.

I do think Nadal is capable of winning 2 more French Open titles. In fact, I think it is quite likely. So, that would put him at 6 French Open Titles. Now the 5 Wimbledons, that's a different story. Plus, for him to reach 4 US Open Finals would be a stretch, though I do think he'll win at least 1 US Open Title.

It's my understanding that in 1977, Borg was actually barred from playing the French Open, because he chose to play World Team Tennis. Some other posters can likely shed more light on the particular circumstances.

I'll add that Adriano Panatta was a great tennis player, who like Soderling, was often VERY HOT or VERY COLD. When he was on, he was very tough to deal with for Borg, Connors, or McEnroe, or anyone, because he played a very "swashbuckling" style of tennis and often would just go for winners, thereby often producing lots of unforced errors. He also often "went down in flames".

2010 at the French Open will be quite interesting and it may turn out to be the most hotly contested major of the year. I think Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Verdasco, Davydenko, Tsonga, Monfils, Del Potro, and Murray will be quite dangerous there. Let's not forget, it's best of 5 sets, not best of 3, which greatly benefits both Nadal and Federer mentally.

Yet, the French Open also requires great stamina. So, that could hurt Federer somewhat this year, as that is a slight weakness for him at the French. It also tends to hurt Djokovic and Murray, who both often look a bit tired by the 3rd-4th sets at the French, relative to other venues, and relative to best of 3 set matches. Overall, I'll have to go with Nadal to win the 2010 French Open if I had to choose one player.