PDA

View Full Version : Federer has been superior on clay than on hardcourts the last two years

JennyS
11-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Check out these stats:

Clay: Won 3 out of 9 tournaments played.
Hard: Won 3 out of 22 tournaments played

Clay: Made 6 total finals in 9 tournaments played
hard: Made 6 total finals in 22 tournaments played

Clay: Won 86% of his matches
Hard: Won 77.8% of his matches

Clay: Made the final in 3 out of 6 Masters Series events
Hard: Made the final in 1 out of 11 Masters Series Events

No wonder he said, "thank goodness the hardcourt season is over!"

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
There's no doubt about it. As his foot speed and reaction time has gone down, the clay allows him to compensate. But the hardcourts don't give him enough time to set up for his shots anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if he remains a better claycourter the remainder of his career.

iTennis1
11-28-2009, 03:07 PM
This is why i think fed will retire at 30 with 17 total slams.

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 03:08 PM
This is why i think fed will retire at 30 with 17 total slams.

Nah he says he wants to play to 2012 Olympics in Wimbledon. He'll retire after that.

IvanAndreevich
11-28-2009, 03:09 PM
From a game plan perspective, Federer has been generally LESS aggressive and more patient lately. It has cost him on HC in big matches. I guess this change is a good thing on clay.

JennyS
11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
There's no doubt about it. As his foot speed and reaction time has gone down, the clay allows him to compensate. But the hardcourts don't give him enough time to set up for his shots anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if he remains a better claycourter the remainder of his career.

Me neither. Also, aside from Nadal, all of the other top players are superior on hard than on clay...

Murray: not a factor on clay, excellent hardcourt player
Djokovic: very good on clay, but considerably better on hard
Del Potro: despite taking Fed the distance at the French, hardcourts are still his best surface by a mile
Roddick: makes Sampras look like the clay GOAT.
Soderling: Despite the FO final, he's better on hard.

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes Roger has a great shot at winning another French Open title - more then the US Open IMHO. Makes his 5 consecutive US Open titles looking VERY nice about now.

JennyS
11-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes Roger has a great shot at winning another French Open title - more then the US Open IMHO. Makes his 5 consecutive US Open titles looking VERY nice about now.

I agree. I think the US Open takes more stamina than the French, despite the latter being on a slower surface. No day off before the final is brutal on the older players.

But winning 5 US Opens is sick. It's more impressive than 5 straight Wimbledons, IMO.