PDA

View Full Version : Will Davydenko win a slam over the next few years?

hewittboy
11-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Davydenko looks like he is getting closer to a big breatkthrough. Do you think he will win a slam or two in the next few years or not.

hewittboy
11-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I predicted 1 slam.

Agassifan
11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Over 2 weeks and 5 setters, probably no. I don't think he'll be able to beat Fed - every single slam over the past 4 and a half freaking years have gone through fed

bluetrain4
11-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Davydenko looks like he is getting closer to a big breatkthrough. Do you think he will win a slam or two in the next few years or not.

The only thing is, he's looked this way on and off for the past 4 years. He's a great player, but beating 3 of the 4 top guys in a row over 5 sets, I just don't see happening.

I'm not saying that he couldn't win a Slam. But, in all honesty I don't think he will. Nothing against him. I just don't see it panning out.

grafselesfan
11-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I was kind and guessed 1. I am not sure if he will even do that though.

jimbo333
11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Davey is unstoppable at the moment, as long as the season isn't about to en.......

oh:(

JeMar
11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
I went with one slam too. Federer and Nadal are declining slightly and he can go toe-to-toe with the new crop of talents, so I don't see why not.

OddJack
11-28-2009, 06:52 PM
He just doesnt have enough for best of 5. He has said it himself.

tudwell
11-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Bandwagon.

JeMar
11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
He just doesnt have enough for best of 5. He has said it himself.

I think he's pretty fit. Also, he's gotten to four slam semis and lost to Federer in three of them. The fourth he lost to steroid-enhanced Mariano Puerta 6-4 in the fifth set.

ChuDat
11-28-2009, 07:01 PM
It would be nice to see him win a slam, but I highly doubt it

matchmaker
11-28-2009, 07:04 PM
He hasn't even made a GS final IIRC, so he is still very far from winning a slam IMO.

I think it would have to be the AO and time is running out for him.

I would love to see him take a big title though.

OddJack
11-28-2009, 07:06 PM
^^^^ yeah, if he beats Murray in a slam final would be nice, or Nadal, or del potro or djoker. Anyone but TMF

jamesblakefan#1
11-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Nope. The way he plays cannot hold up over 7 best of 5 sets matches. He does have an injury history, even in his run here he's been seen limping around on court at times. His best opportunities have come and gone, and his GS performances this season in particular bear that fact out.

tacou
11-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I disagree with him not holding up. Davy is in the best of shape always (injuries aside) and has made it to a few semis where he's been let down mentally, not physically.

However, he made it this far last year. If he doesn't win Australia or French I doubt he'll win one, but I think he's got a great shot at the finals this year.

jamesblakefan#1
11-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I disagree with him not holding up. Davy is in the best of shape always (injuries aside) and has made it to a few semis where he's been let down mentally, not physically.

However, he made it this far last year. If he doesn't win Australia or French I doubt he'll win one, but I think he's got a great shot at the finals this year.

Apparently he was injured at all 4 slams this year. He missed the AO due to injury. He aparrently was still hurt when Sod smoked him at the French. Well, he never does well at Wimbledon, so injury mustn't have been a factor there. And he had to retire from the USO vs Soderling w/ injury.

And IMO, people are overstating how quote-unquote 'done' Rafa and Roger are. These are still two guys who have won 17 of the past 20 slams going back to 2005, and one of them has been in 18 of the past 20 slam finals. So chances are he'll have to go through one of those two if he wants to win a slam. Contrary to what some on here seem to believe, I don't think Nadal is done just yet, and even though Davy seems to own Rafa on HC, I'd still favor Nadal if the two were to meet at the AO.

Couple the injury concerns with the mental concerns, and the fact the competition isn't getting any easier - I'd say the top 5 are all solid and in place as slam contenders for the next 1-2 years - and it's hard for me to see Davydenko picking one up. It's much more likely that this is his final peak, and he may start to level off to that 10-15 range next year.

kishnabe
11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Anything Can happen in tennis but my guess is the best result he will get is a slam final in the US open or French open!

dincuss
11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I want him to, but I doubt it.

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Davy's best chance was in 2007 US Open I believe, and he blew it. So no GS win for him. He will continue to win ATP 250/500 and the occasional Masters.

egn
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Isn't Davy pushing 30. He had his breakthroughs and failed its called 2005 French..2006 Aussie..2007 US Open..2009 French...etc. Davy is a great player, I love him a lot but to predict a coming breakthrough is highly unlike.y However I am voting one and have hope. He has been getting better as of late playing less tournaments as well, and man does he hit with some nice pace.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Isn't Davy pushing 30. He had his breakthroughs and failed its called 2005 French..2006 Aussie..2007 US Open..2009 French...etc. Davy is a great player, I love him a lot but to predict a coming breakthrough is highly unlike.y However I am voting one and have hope. He has been getting better as of late playing less tournaments as well, and man does he hit with some nice pace.

He is pushing 29, so is Federer.

jamesblakefan#1
11-28-2009, 11:41 PM
By this time people who've been around these boards long enough should know the drill - a person makes a run when no one expected them to, all of a sudden, they're the big favorite to win slams and be a legend killer. Last week it was Djokovic, this week it's Davydenko it appears.

But at least people are making these threads about proven players, instead of the laughable 'Gulbis to win a slam in 2009' threads we were seeming besieged with this time last year. :lol:

Making progress with the hype machine.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Last year it was Djokovic, Murray, and Simon. At the end of 2006 it was Nalbandian.. :lol:

Rippy
11-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Nope. Beating Federer doesn't mean he'll win a slam.

mawashi
11-29-2009, 02:59 AM
I hope he does, the iron man certainly deserves it!

mawashi

Tsonga#1fan
11-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Nope. Beating Federer doesn't mean he'll win a slam.

There was a time when beating Federer did mean winning a slam. The only way you would beat him was if you were the last one to get a chance, in the final. That was a couple of years ago. Now, Federer could be easily taken out and the guy who did it could just as easily loose in the nest round, and we aren't even at the finals yet.

zagor
11-29-2009, 03:18 AM
I'll vote yes but I'm not sure I really believe.There's a chance sure but it's not a big one by any means.Would really love to see it happen though.

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 03:25 AM
No, the French Open this year was his best chance - with Nadal out of the way it seemed like the perfect half to be in, and he still found a way to get smashed against Soderling.

egn
11-29-2009, 07:16 AM
He is pushing 29, so is Federer.

okay there is still a difference. Fed is coming down from winning 3 slams a year..Davy has yet to be in a small final. It is hard to believe that at this point in his career now with the youngs guys like Del Potro, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal around playing their best that Davy is going to be able to squeak out a slam. It is very well possible, just not seeming likely.

NamRanger
11-29-2009, 07:23 AM
okay there is still a difference. Fed is coming down from winning 3 slams a year..Davy has yet to be in a small final. It is hard to believe that at this point in his career now with the youngs guys like Del Potro, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal around playing their best that Davy is going to be able to squeak out a slam. It is very well possible, just not seeming likely.

If Davydenko can find a way to serve like he did at the WTF and like Miami a few years ago, then he can definitely win anything.

jamesblakefan#1
11-29-2009, 07:23 AM
I know the bandwagon is in full motion now...but I still say NO.

malakas
11-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Hopefully yes...but I really don't think so.

HOWEVER Soderling made it to a GS final so who knows?This could be the beginning of a Kolya domination era :mrgreen:

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Exactly how i feel. Davydeko can't produce this tennis is slams - which has been proven and lets not forget that Davydenko will be playing the top guys at their fittest level.

malakas
11-29-2009, 07:26 AM

haha what bandwagon??Sadly even with such a win,there is no bandwagon.:(

5th Element
11-29-2009, 07:28 AM
he has a slam in him if he stays injury free and if the draw is kind to him (i.e. dodge Federer completely).

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 07:29 AM
The problem with Davydenko is that he only plays one type of game - and if he is missing or getting outplayed then there is nothing he can do about it.

downs_chris
11-29-2009, 07:30 AM
I think he has a chance at maybe one...

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 07:32 AM
he has a slam in him if he stays injury free and if the draw is kind to him (i.e. dodge Federer completely).

There are more players than Federer who own him on H2H. Guys like Roddick who have baseline games inferior to Davydenko can still own him.

jackson vile
11-29-2009, 07:33 AM
He is much like Nalbandian, except Davy works a hell of a lot harder, and happens to crumble often.

grafselesfan
11-29-2009, 07:34 AM
There are more players than Federer who own him on H2H. Guys like Roddick who have baseline games inferior to Davydenko can still own him.

Roddick and Davydenko have only played 2 matches since Spring 2005 when Davdyenko began becoming a top player. They each have won 1, and Davdyenko's win was more decisive. If they played anytime soon on anything but grass Davydenko would more likely win.

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 07:35 AM
He is much like Nalbandian, except Davy works a hell of a lot harder, and happens to crumble often.

Except that Nalbandian has the best BH on tour and is actually a more rounded player than Davydenko. The only think that Davydenko has over Nalbandian is fitness.

jackson vile
11-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Except that Nalbandian has the best BH on tour and is actually a more rounded player than Davydenko. The only think that Davydenko has over Nalbandian is fitness.

No, it takes more than fitness to beat Roger and Nadal As for more rounded, no think again.

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 07:45 AM
No, it takes more than fitness to beat Roger and Nadal As for more rounded, no think again.

Nalbandian has a better record over Federer than Davydenko. And leads against Nadal. Thanks.

grafselesfan
11-29-2009, 07:48 AM

Nalbandian is way overrated on this forum. He is very talented but not the demi-god with many slam winning potential he is made out to be. Davydenko achievement wise is now arguably ahead of him actually. 1 more Masters title, one more year end event final, more consistency ranked in the top 5, many more career titles. Nalbandian's edge is the semis of all the slams, and the Wimbledon final. However Nalbandian's Wimbledon final is one of the biggest flukes in the last 3 decades probably, and Wimbledon 02 is the worst mens Wimbledon in tennis history easily.

As for comparing their games Davydenko has the better forehand clearly. I agree Nalbandian has the better backhand. Return of serve is a toss up. Nalbandian used to have the better serve but Davydenko's serve has improved alot and now I think he has the better serve. Volleys, lol what volleys for either. Movement wise I think Davydenko has the edge. Fitness yes a huge edge for Davydenko there. And mentally both have their ups and downs. Nalbandian is alot mentally tougher vs Federer, I will give him that. Also that accessment is when Nalbandian is at his best, which he clearly wont be ever again, so his game would compare even less favorably then that now.

Come to think of it Nalbandian's only real edge is the backhand, and Davydenko also has an excellent backhand.

Anaconda
11-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Nalbandian is way overrated on this forum. He is very talented but not the demi-god with many slam winning potential he is made out to be. Davydenko achievement wise is now arguably ahead of him actually. 1 more Masters title, one more year end event final, more consistency ranked in the top 5, many more career titles. Nalbandian's edge is the semis of all the slams, and the Wimbledon final. However Nalbandian's Wimbledon final is one of the biggest flukes in the last 3 decades probably.

As for comparing their games Davydenko has the better forehand clearly. I agree Nalbandian has the better backhand. Return of serve is a toss up. Nalbandian used to have the better serve but Davydenko's serve has improved alot and now I think he has the better serve. Volleys, lol what volleys for either. Movement wise I think Davydenko has the edge. Fitness yes a huge edge for Davydenko there. And mentally both have their ups and downs. Nalbandian is alot mentally tougher vs Federer, I will give him that. Also that accessment is when Nalbandian is at his best, which he clearly wont be ever again, so his game would compare even less favorably then that now.

Come to think of it Nalbandian's only real edge is the backhand, and Davydenko also has an excellent backhand.

Maybe he is overrated, but i'm not overrating him, he does have the best backhand in the game. I think Nalbandian has a better return also. Neither player will win a slam anyway - they both drop there levels at critical points in slams.

stanfordtennis alum
11-29-2009, 07:55 AM
he's getting old but he has a slim chance maybe in 2010 or 2011

grafselesfan
11-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Maybe he is overrated, but i'm not overrating him, he does have the best backhand in the game. I think Nalbandian has a better return also. Neither player will win a slam anyway - they both drop there levels at critical points in slams.

I am not sure who has the best backhand in the game. You could argue Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Del Potro, and even Nadal (when in form) as well.

robin7
11-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Yes if he keeps playing like what he did @ WTF 2009.

LafayetteHitter
11-29-2009, 08:28 AM
I guess there is a new bandwagon in town. It's funny what winning a tournament will do for you.

kolo
11-29-2009, 08:28 AM
if all the top players play injured/reties at USO he can maybe.
on fire federer, djokovic can still take him.

dh003i
11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
The reason neither player will ever win a slam isn't just because of mental or physical issues, it is because they really don't have as strong a game in their strengths as they'd need to cover up their weaknesses, or they aren't well rounded enough.

For Nalby or Davydenko to win a slam, I'd say they'd be one of the weakest slam-winning players ever.

sheq
11-29-2009, 09:13 AM
ı dont think so because grand slam is totally a different story. 2 weeks, best of five, 7 matches and so many dangerous player etc.

Nikolay is not such a strong player in mental and physical way

sheq
11-29-2009, 09:14 AM
However, he will be a strong contender in masters, YEC and of course other 250/500 tournements

dlk
11-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Instinctively, I say no; especially regarding his age. But when looking at who he's beat this past year, I would not be surprised if he won the 2010 AO; but after that chances slim.

makenakai
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
LOOVE Niko's game. He is maybe the smallest man on tour, (maybe rochus is smaller) certainly in top 10. He relies on accuracy and technique and gives us ordinary guys hope and is proof that tennis is not just a power game..
this guy is stealth. when Fed was dominant, Niko was steady at #3-5, (Top Five Weeks 143 Top Ten Weeks 211) also people forget he was knocked by Federer in 4 Majors - 3 of which he was eventual winner, 1 the finalist.

US Open (m) 2007- Semifinals - finalist Djok (toss up)
Roland Garros 2007 Semifinals - Finalist Nad ( 3-4 hth..)
US Open 06 (m) Semifinals - Finalist Roddick (edge to niko)
Australian Open (m) 2006 Quarterfinals- finalist Baghaitis ( edge Niko)

in other words, were it not for the GOAT, Niko might have been right in there at the very top, since he is 3-4 vs Nadal, the clay GOAT.

Niko's problem was he was intimidated by Fed, and he was choky in big points. But then Lendl was 0-4 in majors finals and was labeled (correctly) a choker till he broke thru in RG 84 (when Mac choked..).

So, with his undisputed ability, physically and technically to execute the tactical answer to the modern topspin game and now arguably having finally gained his confidence (in his own words) - by defeating all Majors champions (and world #5,2,1) in the Masters on consecutive days (!). I look for Niko to be a factor in the 2-5 pack in 2010 and cannot be counted out in majors. Couldn't be happier for a nice man. Now...if he shaved his head and got some less frumpier threads...he'd get an endorsement contract...he doesn't look that old neither...look at his face, he's a young guy... GO NIKO

fleabitten
11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Davey is unstoppable at the moment, as long as the season isn't about to en.......

oh:(

LOL! This reminds me of David Nalban....

As long as they move a grand slam indoors and change the surface to match that of the o2 in London, he'll win a handful. Barring that, I picked Davydenko to be a one-hit-wonder - one slam that is: Aussie or USO.

Tomaz Bellucci
11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Very very difficult to say...... ;)

Anaconda
11-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Roddick and Davydenko have only played 2 matches since Spring 2005 when Davdyenko began becoming a top player. They each have won 1, and Davdyenko's win was more decisive. If they played anytime soon on anything but grass Davydenko would more likely win.

So, Davydenko became pro in 1999, and is two years older than Roddick. Yes, Davydenko would win a match if they were to play recently as Roddick has been losing to guys outside the top 100.

grafselesfan
11-30-2009, 08:35 AM
So, Davydenko became pro in 1999, and is two years older than Roddick. Yes, Davydenko would win a match if they were to play recently as Roddick has been losing to guys outside the top 100.

Players mature at different rates. Just look at Navratilova and Austin. Or for a mens example Courier and Agassi. The fact is for whatever reason Davydenko was a complete tour journeyman until mid 2005, and a solid top 6 player since.

NamRanger
11-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Davydenko at his best would give Roddick all sorts of problems. I am saying this as a Roddick fan too. In fact, Davydenko is not a guy I would like to see on the other side of the net of Roddick, because Davydenko actually matches up VERY well with Roddick.

Anaconda
11-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Players mature at different rates. Just look at Navratilova and Austin. Or for a mens example Courier and Agassi. The fact is for whatever reason Davydenko was a complete tour journeyman until mid 2005, and a solid top 6 player since.

Doesn't mean anything, even James Blake with poor Grand Slam results got as high as 4.

Anyway that's not my point. I'm stating that Davydenko will not win a slam because the top 4 or 5 guys play better in the slams. At pressure situations (where any player faces in slams) Davydenko will choke - being the choker that he is.

Anaconda
11-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Davydenko at his best would give Roddick all sorts of problems. I am saying this as a Roddick fan too. In fact, Davydenko is not a guy I would like to see on the other side of the net of Roddick, because Davydenko actually matches up VERY well with Roddick.

In theory - lots of players should own Roddick. Such as Nalbandian/Djokovic/Safin, yes and even Davydenko. But i still think that Davydenko hasn't got the mentality or conditioning to go with roddick - or any other top 5 player in slams.

Carsomyr
11-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Despite finishing the season in the lowest spot (#6) since becoming a member of the top ten, Davydenko has still completed arguably the best season of his career: he tied his career high in titles, with two huge ones at the Masters in Shanghai and the prestigious year end tournament in London, as well as finished with a career high winning percentage (78%).

However, he once again turned in a pretty pedestrian performance at the Slams, with his best showing a QF appearance at the FO, where he got throttled by Soderling. It would be very difficult indeed for Davydenko to maneuver through the extremely formidable top 10 on his way to a Slam title.

NamRanger
11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
In theory - lots of players should own Roddick. Such as Nalbandian/Djokovic/Safin, yes and even Davydenko. But i still think that Davydenko hasn't got the mentality or conditioning to go with roddick - or any other top 5 player in slams.

Doesn't have the conditioning? Are you kidding me? Davydenko year in and year out plays the most tennis out there, regularly clocking in 90+ matches a year. He regularly plays tough matches and recovers like it is nothing.

Djokovic and Safin in theory should not beat Roddick. Roddick is like the anti-Djokovic/Safin from a theory standpoint. He mixes spins, he is ultra consistent, he will fight for every point, and he will hold serve 99.9% of the time.

The only person you are right about is Nalbandian, but that guy never bothers to show up half the time.

NamRanger
11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Despite finishing the season in the lowest spot (#6) since becoming a member of the top ten, Davydenko has still completed arguably the best season of his career: he tied his career high in titles, with two huge ones at the Masters in Shanghai and the prestigious year end tournament in London, as well as finished with a career high winning percentage (78%).

However, he once again turned in a pretty pedestrian performance at the Slams, with his best showing a QF appearance at the FO, where he got throttled by Soderling. It would be very difficult indeed for Davydenko to maneuver through the extremely formidable top 10 on his way to a Slam title.

Davydenko probably wasn't even ready to play tennis until the end of the year I bet, and that's probably why he did so well indoors. For the first time, Davydenko was completely healthy and fresh instead of totally beat up from playing a million matches.

flying24
11-30-2009, 09:13 AM

He missed Australia altogether. He clearly wasnt back at his best for the French. Wimbledon he never has a chance at anyway. Only the U.S Open was a big dissapointment, but he had the bad luck to draw Soderling at both the French and U.S Opens. Soderling is a bad matchup for him, worse than top players like Nadal, Del Potro, and even Djokovic.

Anaconda
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Doesn't have the conditioning? Are you kidding me? Davydenko year in and year out plays the most tennis out there, regularly clocking in 90+ matches a year. He regularly plays tough matches and recovers like it is nothing.

Djokovic and Safin in theory should not beat Roddick. Roddick is like the anti-Djokovic/Safin from a theory standpoint. He mixes spins, he is ultra consistent, he will fight for every point, and he will hold serve 99.9% of the time.

The only person you are right about is Nalbandian, but that guy never bothers to show up half the time.

I mean in terms of talent - that Safin and Djokovic should beat Roddick more times than they have lost.

I didn't mean that Davydenko's conditioning was bad - i meant it in context that he is bound to play a few tough matches, considering his gamestyle and will probably run into someone fitter than him (someone like roddick) and could run out of gas - especially in the australian heat.

NamRanger
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I mean in terms of talent - that Safin and Djokovic should beat Roddick more times than they have lost.

I didn't mean that Davydenko's conditioning was bad - i meant it in context that he is bound to play a few tough matches, considering his gamestyle and will probably run into someone fitter than him (someone like roddick) and could run out of gas - especially in the australian heat.

Talent means nothing; from a technical standpoint, Roddick is a VERY bad match-up for Safin and Djokovic.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I would really enjoy seeing Davydenko win a slam.

boredone3456
11-30-2009, 09:54 AM
I wish he would. I like him and he has talent but in all honesty I don't see him getting one, at this point I think it would be a big accomplishment for him to make a slam final before the end of his career. I don't think he is consistent enough to win one though.