PDA

View Full Version : Best Comebacks in Sports History

Gee Willikers Batman!
11-28-2009, 07:52 PM
After watching the college football game, UH vs Rice, UH was up 66-0 and I was thinking, "is there anyway Rice can come back?"

So that got me thinking, what are the best comebacks of all time? (Any sport)

maverick66
11-28-2009, 07:54 PM
1980 US vs USSR Olympic hockey. Colleges kids came back to beat the one of the best teams in hockey history.

tenniskid567
11-28-2009, 08:12 PM
1980 Holiday Bowl - BYU vs SMU (AKA the "Miracle Bowl")

SMU was up 45-25 with 4 minutes to go. Fans started leaving and McMahon was ticked, saying it wasn't over. In the last 2:33 of the game, BYU scored a touchdown, recovered an onside kick, scored again, forced and blocked a punt, took over at the 41, and after 2 incomplete passes, BYU's receiver caught a hail mary in the endzone in the middle of 4 SMU defenders. Extra point after made it 46-45. 21 points in 2 and a half minutes aint bad.

Feņa14
11-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Liverpool v AC Milan, 2005 Champions League Final in Instanbul.

The biggest club competition in the world and Liverpool got to the final despite being a relatively poor side back then. Milan were the huge favourites and were 3-0 up at half-time, Liverpool scored 3 goals in 6 minutes and won on penalties.

I'm not a big fan of Liverpool at all but that was something special.

jamesblakefan#1
11-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Some candidates are:

-"The Comeback"- Buffalo Bills overcame a 35-3 deficit to win AFC Wild Card Playoff game vs Houston Oilers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_(American_football)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBg8RJdcSEs

-2004 Boston Red Sox (blech, I know) coming from 3-0 down to beat the Yankees in the ALCS

-A tennis one: Mary Joe Fernandez coming from down 6-1, 5-1, 40-0 I believe, to beat Gabriela Sabatini at the 1993 French Open QF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9xGb8L_kIM

Heck, just today, Montana was down 48-21 entering the 4th quarter of their D-2 Playoff Game, and came back to win 61-48 - 40 unanswered points! :shock:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=293320149

I'm sure there's others people can mention.

Cody
11-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Who can forget this one

Steven Bradbury Speed Skating - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg

Really goes to show to never give up :twisted:

Australia also never win any winter medals so yay.

hollywood9826
11-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Who can forget this one

Not quite sure if that one counts as a comeback.

The buffalo bills comeback was already mentioned.

In 2001 the seattle mariner were beating the the Cleveland Indians 14-2 in the 7th inning. Cleveland would come back and in win the game in extra innings.

The largest 9th inning comeback in baseball I think is 9 runs done by a couple teams. I think the dodgers in 1990 doing this.

zidane339
11-29-2009, 08:33 AM
There are a couple in the NBA, like Tracy Mcgrady's fifteen (incl. four three pointers) in less than a min, or Reggie Miller's 8 pts in less than thirty seconds to win.

El Diablo
11-29-2009, 09:39 AM
That Buffalo Bills comeback was my favorite for the intelligent audacity Marv Levy showed -- I think they did a (successful) on-sides kick early in the second half and really kept the pedal to the metal the whole half instead of waiting until it's too late the way most teams do. And I believe they make that comeback with their second-string QB.

jamesblakefan#1
11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
That Buffalo Bills comeback was my favorite for the intelligent audacity Marv Levy showed -- I think they did a (successful) on-sides kick early in the second half and really kept the pedal to the metal the whole half instead of waiting until it's too late the way most teams do. And I believe they make that comeback with their second-string QB.

Yeah Frank Reich was at QB, not Jim Kelly.

Dedans Penthouse
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah Frank Reich was at QB, not Jim Kelly.(respectfully--sort of--posted while grousing at the memory of that "OB" horror show...)

What's also forgotten was that Frank Reich also quarterbacked the greatest comeback in NCAA Division-1 history...and on "the road" no less.

Regular season game at Miami's Orange Bowl (at the "OB" i.e. the stadium, not the "new year's "Orange Bowl" game), halftime score:

Miami = 31; Maryland = 0

Final score: Miami = 40; Maryland = 42.

ouch~! :sad:

NFL:

Buffalo vs. the hi-powered Warren Moon-led Oilers ..... "2nd-string" Frankie Reich did it at BOTH LEVELS:

Thusly, gotta give props to Maryland's Frand Reich (right "Boomer Esiason?")....TWICE!......NCAA (big-time D-1 vs. "The 80's Canes") on the road as well as in the NF-effin'L vs. a sweet-slingin' Hall of Fame QB Warren Moon (an awesome QB)......

... (waiting for the 'Teyko' posse to grouse about the admittedly valid "black qb predjudice" that set Warren back a number of what would've been his 'NFL' years---much like BC's Doug 'lil-white-boy- Flutie...but I digress: Warren DID enter that game with major experience (en route to his HOF induction) and wuz an established NFL star at the time--let's just put that--on Reich's behalf, on the table)..not to flame, just to set the facts--that day--on the table.....shiate...that 'cane' loss caused me to ..... well, whatever that day...heavily......

Now THAT's an awesome "double-notch" on QB's belt....and a nice story (make that "2") to be able to tell his 'sittin'-on-his-lap' grandchildren....

Trivia question for you SEC football fans:

Q: What do Boomer Esiason and Frank Reich (and heck, while we're talking about the "Miami Hurricanes")..Vinny Testeverde "40+yr.old NFL QB have in common?.....

A: They were all either born or grew up on Long Island,.....as in that "hot-bed" of footbahll...New Yawk...

THAT's why NY guys.....get the goils..... suthern' & sexy & utherwise... ;-)

fps
11-29-2009, 01:27 PM

The biggest club competition in the world and Liverpool got to the final despite being a relatively poor side back then. Milan were the huge favourites and were 3-0 up at half-time, Liverpool scored 3 goals in 6 minutes and won on penalties.

this is a correct answer.

the little dasher
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Who can forget this one

Actually we've won a few now. Legit ones too where the opposition remained upright. But that was so funny. I feel sorry for the faves who fell. Horrible result for all those yrs of training. I admired Bradbury's unassuming modesty. He's quite well liked here.

I admired the attitude of the American favourite who nonetheless got up and claimed a minor medal. Asked if he felt cheated he said no way. Tumbles are a part of the sport and you have to accept them. He worked too hard to earn his medal and he's proud of his achievement.

Good on him.

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Yep, that's the one:)

CCNM
11-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I would agree on the Buffalo Bills/Houston Oilers (BTW they're now the Tennessee Titans ;)) playoff game.

tennisguyak
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM

I'll never forget the Jerzy Dudek dance :)

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I'll never forget the Jerzy Dudek dance :)

That was such an amazing match:)

And it seemed to go on forever!

During that match, I was playing golf, I was at home listening to on the radio while eating dinner, and I was in the pub watching it on the big screen, what a match, and what a win:)

Feņa14
11-29-2009, 05:59 PM
That was such an amazing match:)

And it seemed to go on forever!

During that match, I was playing golf, I was at home listening to on the radio while eating dinner, and I was in the pub watching it on the big screen, what a match, and what a win:)

I think we should probably also mention Man Utd's comeback against Bayern Munich in the final in Barcelona, 1999 :)

1-0 down going into injury time at the end of the game, Solskjaer and Sheringham both scoring, Sammy Kuffour on the floor pounding his fists into the turf whilst balling his eyes out. I was 10 and remember all the Man Utd fans at school the next day being even more smug than usual!

Hot Sauce
11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Tracy McGrady's 13 points in 35 seconds against the Spurs was very memorable!

cucio
11-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Jordan also laughed as he recounted a conversation with former Chicago Bulls assistant coach Tex Winter after Jordan had scored a bushel of points in a row to win a game for Chicago.

"There's No 'I' in team," Winter said.

Jordan said he looked Winter in the eye and said: "There's an 'I' in 'win.' "

Perhaps not the sort of comeback you had in mind, but a funny one, even if it's trash talk.

jimbo333
11-30-2009, 03:59 AM
I think we should probably also mention Man Utd's comeback against Bayern Munich in the final in Barcelona, 1999 :)

1-0 down going into injury time at the end of the game, Solskjaer and Sheringham both scoring, Sammy Kuffour on the floor pounding his fists into the turf whilst balling his eyes out. I was 10 and remember all the Man Utd fans at school the next day being even more smug than usual!

No, there is no need to mention that one at all, a lucky late comeback:evil: