PDA

View Full Version : People seem to forget how fast things change in tennis.

MajinX
11-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Read the thread title. I just saw a couple threads on soderling and davydenko, saying they will be great in the next couple years. and im not saying they wont, its just that people seem to decide things quite quickly here on TW. The same goes for dismissing too. After a poor performance i see a bunch of threads dismissing nadal and federer as well. Roddick is now dismissed too altho he was plagued with a surprise injury at shanghai so thats kinda different. It just seems people dont seem to get that tennis is a sport that is almost day to day even. People can have good days and bad days. The world number 100 can beat the world number 10 if hes playing great that day and the 10th is not doing so well. Its all possible. Of course the guys the world number 10 because on average his daily play is higher than the 100th ranked player.

While some predictions can be made in the short run from current playing abilities and trends. Tennis is one of those sports where upsets do happen often. Whoever expected Nadal to lose RG after winning AO for the first time. Who expected roddick to lose early in the open after an almost perfect wimbledon final. Who expected davydenko to make such a great run at the end of the season after doing nothing for most of the year? Im just trying to say that having a bunch of threads saying so and so is DONE because of this and so and so is gonna win 5 more slams, and this person will never reach another final again is a bit pointless. At least the ones i see that have no actual real reason to post. There are some good analytical reads out there.... but very very few these days.

Just a bit of a personal rant and a reminder on how quickly things can chance in tennis. Dont take anything i said toooo seriously. (thats another issue i see sometimes on these boards lol.)

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Remember how Nalbandian won Madrid/Bercy in Oct/Nov 2007 and suddenly he was the hot favorite for Australia. Yeah right we know what happened with that. People should not write off proven GS champions just because they're not SUPER HOT right now. Federer is still the favorite to win every grand slam he competes in 2010. I only say that because of his incredible track record - 22 straight GS semifinals is proof enough of contention. After him, I'd say 2nd favorites for Australia would be Nole/DelPo.

MajinX
11-29-2009, 12:34 AM
U mean besides the french open... and maybe AO as well. I see alot of contenders for the AO.

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 12:38 AM
U mean besides the french open... and maybe AO as well. I see alot of contenders for the AO.

Yes - I really meant to say that Roger & Rafa are co-favorites to win Roland Garros in 2010.

Australia - Roger/Nole/Del Potro/Soderling/(Rafa IF he's back to 100%)
FO - Rafa/Roger
Wimbledon - Roger(nobody is beating him here in 2010)
US Open - Del Potro(the new king of New York)

Tsonga#1fan
11-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Federer is still the favorite to win every grand slam he competes in 2010. I only say that because of his incredible track record - 22 straight GS semifinals is proof enough of contention.

Being a contender and being the favorite are two entirely different things. While Roger will be a major factor in the outcome of slams for a while longer, his favorite status is gone. I honestly believe he has a much better chance of defending his RG title, even if Nadal finds his mojo, than winning AO or USO. The only place where Federer should be considered "the favorite" is Wimbledon.

OddJack
11-29-2009, 03:50 AM
Read the thread title. I just saw a couple threads on soderling and davydenko, saying they will be great in the next couple years. and im not saying they wont, its just that people seem to decide things quite quickly here on TW. The same goes for dismissing too. After a poor performance i see a bunch of threads dismissing nadal and federer as well. Roddick is now dismissed too altho he was plagued with a surprise injury at shanghai so thats kinda different. It just seems people dont seem to get that tennis is a sport that is almost day to day even. People can have good days and bad days. The world number 100 can beat the world number 10 if hes playing great that day and the 10th is not doing so well. Its all possible. Of course the guys the world number 10 because on average his daily play is higher than the 100th ranked player.

While some predictions can be made in the short run from current playing abilities and trends. Tennis is one of those sports where upsets do happen often. Whoever expected Nadal to lose RG after winning AO for the first time. Who expected roddick to lose early in the open after an almost perfect wimbledon final. Who expected davydenko to make such a great run at the end of the season after doing nothing for most of the year? Im just trying to say that having a bunch of threads saying so and so is DONE because of this and so and so is gonna win 5 more slams, and this person will never reach another final again is a bit pointless. At least the ones i see that have no actual real reason to post. There are some good analytical reads out there.... but very very few these days.

Just a bit of a personal rant and a reminder on how quickly things can chance in tennis. Dont take anything i said toooo seriously. (thats another issue i see sometimes on these boards lol.)

this has been said before too, several times.. unfortunately nobody listens. They throw a title to provoke responses, then sit back and enjoy the reactions. Its called trolling. Most of them dont believe in what they say, thats why they use a new user id.

marc45
11-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Yes - I really meant to say that Roger & Rafa are co-favorites to win Roland Garros in 2010.

Australia - Roger/Nole/Del Potro/Soderling/(Rafa IF he's back to 100%)
FO - Rafa/Roger
Wimbledon - Roger(nobody is beating him here in 2010)
US Open - Del Potro(the new king of New York)
jmdp a major threat at rg...had fed on the ropes, would be holding the trophy if he won that match

zagor
11-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Remember how Nalbandian won Madrid/Bercy in Oct/Nov 2007 and suddenly he was the hot favorite for Australia. Yeah right we know what happened with that. People should not write off proven GS champions just because they're not SUPER HOT right now. Federer is still the favorite to win every grand slam he competes in 2010. I only say that because of his incredible track record - 22 straight GS semifinals is proof enough of contention. After him, I'd say 2nd favorites for Australia would be Nole/DelPo.

No,Nadal is still the favourite for the FO.For AO yeah Fed might be the favourite but keep in mind the last time he won there was almost 3 years ago,Wimbledon you gotta favour Fed and probably still USO as well.

The thing is Fed has really declined on HC so I don't see him as that big of a favourite for the HC slams anymore.From the last 4 HC slams Fed won one so things have definitely changed.