PDA

View Full Version : Davydenko a dangerous player...

marpiw
11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
The hour and 25 minutes of the final match between Davydenko and Del Potro was like an action film made in Hollywood...at every moment I was waiting that Davydenko would produce a Kalashnikov gun and kill Del Potro on the spot...he showed continouously an angry face to his oponent...

TMF
11-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Of all the 8 players, Davydenko was the least favorite to win this WTF.

I don't want to hear him as nothing but a pusher or doesn't have any weapons(you know who you are!). He plays ten times better than Rafa did. And if someone can argue rafa has weapons, Nikolay is the Russian top secret weapon!

stanfordtennis alum
11-29-2009, 08:44 AM
davydenko is the man!!

egn
11-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Verdasco was definitely the least favorite. Nobody counted Davy out he played a strong fall, Davy was more of a favorite than the likes of Murray and Nadal.

kolo
11-29-2009, 09:16 AM
davy fully deserved it. keep it at this level and he can win AO. :)
this match made me realize im a delpo fan tho, i rooted for him all the way through the match, hes gonna be #1 before 2012 and will win atleast 1-2 more slams i think.

Fedace
11-29-2009, 09:19 AM
ROTFL,,,,,, when Cliff Drysdale said ,, Davy has the real chance of winning the slam next year,,, just cause he beat up on all the top guys this week,,, in a Meaningless tournament with all they top guys tired as heck. and only thing that really mattered was the HIGH O mighty Dollar...... where Davy's wife keeps on flashing her diamond ring for all to see..........Seeeeeeeeee,,, he has to pay for this......................LOL

slice bh compliment
11-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Rating him 8th would be a stretch, but I feel you.

I would have rated him MOST likely to get to the semis and lose there. Or lose in the final again.

He is a rock solid player and he's kept himself healthy, fit and faster than ever in his 'old' age. Even at the end of a long year.

I am not a fan of the ball machine style of tennis he plays, but .... hats of to Kolya.

I remember watching him play a tight five setter against Sasha Bogomolov at the Open about 6 or 7 yrs ago. Two grinders....but this one moved so effortlessly. I also remember thinking that he is bringing the women's game to the men's tour, LOL!
Well, he's improved a lot since then.
Tremendous tournament.

He joins Corretja and Nalbandian as the only Year-end Championship titlists to never (yet) have won a slam.

But, I think he's still a dark horse for the Oz and US Opens.

Fedace
11-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Rating him 8th would be a stretch, but I feel you.

I would have rated him MOST likely to get to the semis and lose there. Or lose in the final again.

He is a rock solid player and he's kept himself healthy, fit and faster than ever in his 'old' age. Even at the end of a long year.

I am not a fan of the ball machine style of tennis he plays, but .... hats of to Kolya.

I remember watching him play a tight five setter against Sasha Bogomolov at the Open about 6 or 7 yrs ago. Two grinders....but this one moved so effortlessly. I also remember thinking that he is bringing the women's game to the men's tour, LOL!
Well, he's improved a lot since then.
Tremendous tournament.

He joins Corretja and Nalbandian as the only Year-end Championship titlists to never (yet) have won a slam.

But, I think he's still a dark horse for the Oz and US Opens.

News Flash.... ONLY chance that Davy has is in the French Open. but when Nadal is healthy, he has no chance and Rafa is younger than him. If Davy plays Federer in the French open, i think this time he will take him out. but with Nadal,,, i think not. but if Davy can have the fortune of not seeing Nadal then he has a very good chance in coming French.

TMF
11-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Verdasco was definitely the least favorite. Nobody counted Davy out he played a strong fall, Davy was more of a favorite than the likes of Murray and Nadal.

Davy was the underdog on every match in RR. People underestimated him b/c he's small, lacks the power and weaker serve, but he did everything well in this tourney.

stapler
11-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Of all the 8 players, Davydenko was the least favorite to win this WTF.

I don't want to hear him as nothing but a pusher or doesn't have any weapons(you know who you are!). He plays ten times better than Rafa did. And if someone can argue rafa has weapons, Nikolay is the Russian top secret weapon!

How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

DarthMaul
11-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Delete this.....

DarthMaul
11-29-2009, 09:53 AM
News Flash.... ONLY chance that Davy has is in the French Open. but when Nadal is healthy, he has no chance and Rafa is younger than him. If Davy plays Federer in the French open, i think this time he will take him out. but with Nadal,,, i think not. but if Davy can have the fortune of not seeing Nadal then he has a very good chance in coming French.

Don't want to spoil your dreams but Rafa looks older than Davydenko.. Gamewise...

dh003i
11-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Davydenko is a very good player, and obviously played better than his opponents.

But the idea of him winning a slam? Yea, only if all of the players more talented than him -- which is everyone in the top 10 -- bail out first.

Basically, vs. anyone in the top 10, the only way Davydenko wins is if they aren't playing their top game. Davydenko is a guy who sticks around in the top 10 by playing a lot of tournaments and consistently doing well but not great.

slice bh compliment
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Condescending newsflash from a TW GOAT?!
Uh, oh, did you hear that sound? The canyon just grew. The canyon between what you think you know and what you actually know.

Maybe you're right....that Davydorko does not win a hardcourt slam in 2010. But I think he's a worldbeater on a hard court with dependable bounces. On glass he'll return like a genius, but he'll get outplayed by someone who attacks better and finishes points from the forecourt. On clay, I think he typically gets worked by someone with an advantage in terms of hitting through a slower court.

I think he's got a shot in Melbourne and Flushing Meadow. But that's it.

TMF
11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

With this surface, you would think heavy hitter has the advantage, and definitely the power serve. Davy doesn't these traits over the bigger boys. This tourney he surprised everyone. He served much better than he normally have done.

P_Agony
11-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm so happy he won. He's the one player I was rooting for to beat Fed, and I'm glad he did, he deserved it.

The guy beats Fed, Nadal, Soderling and Delpo (and almost Djokovic) - that's a great result for him and it's been a long time coming. Now he should just go for a good run at a slam. You can do it Davy! I believe!

Sadly I didn't watch the match (I was at work :-() but I will catch it sooner or later.

stormholloway
11-29-2009, 01:14 PM
ROTFL,,,,,, when Cliff Drysdale said ,, Davy has the real chance of winning the slam next year,,, just cause he beat up on all the top guys this week,,, in a Meaningless tournament with all they top guys tired as heck. and only thing that really mattered was the HIGH O mighty Dollar...... where Davy's wife keeps on flashing her diamond ring for all to see..........Seeeeeeeeee,,, he has to pay for this......................LOL

I often notice that the more childish posters, such as yourself, often write off players like Davydenko. If that had been Agassi all you teeny boppers would be bouncing around the forum praising his talents. But since it's Davydenko, it's just a fluke because all the top players are tired.

Since when is the end-of-year tournament meaningless? Honestly man, it's as if you ask people not to take you seriously.

hoosierbr
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Davydenko has everything it takes to win a Slam. Only one he doesn't do well at is Wimbledon. No reason why he can't win the French, especially with Rafa (perhaps) starting to fade a little. Australia is another one where he should do well. Great effort for him to reach two SF at the USO.

His problem is that he can break serve easily but he can't hold it. Two years ago he played Fed in both the SF @ Roland Garros and USO. Sets were 7-5, 7-6. Davy just couldn't hold his own serve. If he managed to get more free points from it he'd make a final.

slice bh compliment
11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
..Since when is the end-of-year tournament meaningless? Honestly man, it's as if you ask people not to take you seriously.

I think the great Fedace was recanting a passage from an article he might have read about the Grand Slam Cup.

stormholloway
11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Davydenko has everything it takes to win a Slam. Only one he doesn't do well at is Wimbledon. No reason why he can't win the French, especially with Rafa (perhaps) starting to fade a little. Australia is another one where he should do well. Great effort for him to reach two SF at the USO.

I think the AO 2010 is his best slam opportunity yet. Rafa and Fed look off. It's a big chance for him.

I think the great Fedace was recanting a passage from an article he might have read about the Grand Slam Cup.

I understand when one has such a voluminous tennis knowledge on tap that some details could be confused.

malakas
11-29-2009, 01:54 PM
if you're a consistent top 10er for 5 years then yes you're a dangerous player.

Even if you are short,bald and russian.

JoelDali
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Agreed. Look out for Davvy to rip it up at AO even though I'm pulling for Fed or Delpoid.

AM95
11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Davy was the underdog on every match in RR. People underestimated him b/c he's small, lacks the power and weaker serve, but he did everything well in this tourney.

he serves at an average of 120..thats a federer service speed

makenakai
11-29-2009, 04:27 PM
LOOVE Niko's game. He is maybe the smallest man on tour, (maybe rochus is smaller) certainly in top 10. He relies on accuracy and technique and gives us ordinary guys hope and is proof that tennis is not just a power game..
this guy is stealth. when Fed was dominant, Niko was steady at #3-5, (Top Five Weeks 143 Top Ten Weeks 211) also people forget he was knocked by Federer in 4 Majors - 3 of which he was eventual winner, 1 the finalist.

US Open (m) 2007- Semifinals
Roland Garros 2007 Semifinals
US Open (m) Semifinals
Australian Open (m) 2006 Quarterfinals

in other words, were it not for the GOAT, Niko might have been right in there at the very top, since he is 3-4 vs Nadal, the clay GOAT.

Niko's problem was he was intimidated by Fed, and he was choky in big points. But then Lendl was 0-4 in majors finals and was labeled (correctly) a choker till he broke thru in RG 84 (when Mac choked..).

So, with his undisputed ability, physically and technically to execute the tactical answer to the modern topspin game and now arguably having finally gained his confidence (in his own words) - by defeating all Majors champions (and world #5,2,1) in the Masters on consecutive days (!). I look for Niko to be a factor in the 2-5 pack in 2010 and cannot be counted out in majors. Couldn't be happier for a nice man. Now...if he shaved his head and got some less frumpier threads...he'd get an endorsement contract...he doesn't look that old neither...look at his face, he's a young guy... GO NIKO

markwillplay
11-29-2009, 04:36 PM
what is unhealthy about rafa?? Nothing unhealthy about him..come on...he had a tight back...oK...gimme a break..he got smoked. I wil be very interested to see what the Australian Open brings for him. I do think he is easier to be had in 2/3 sets for sure and that people are missing that...but still, his game got overpowered.

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
if you're a consistent top 10er for 5 years then yes you're a dangerous player.

Daveydenko has finished in the top 6 in the world for the last 5 years!

Halba
11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
fed got into davy's head and he lost a bit of confidence..hope he can rattle them, he has nothing to lose.

mawashi
11-29-2009, 05:57 PM

I know how jealous you feel, maybe you should get your boy friend to pay more attention to you n get you a real diamond instead of that cheapo piece of quartz on your face... wait that's a zit!

mawashi