PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think Nadal and Fed will dominate again next season?

Seany
11-29-2009, 12:30 PM
I've seen this hype before....at the end of 08, every said it was a top 4/6 and the nadal fed dominance was over, but lo and behold at the AO in 09 it was a fed nadal final.

After these guys have had a rest, nadal regains some power and confidence, fed rests those ageing legs and they will be above the rest of the chasers again...

mfischer
11-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Nadal will be back next year, you can count on that.
Probably Fed too, but his decline because of aging is knocking on the door harder,as the years pass

jrepac
11-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I think it will not be so easy for Fed & Nadal in 2010....

the other guys right below them (Del Potro, Davydenko, Soderling and Roddick) are beyond "hungry"

and Fed and Nadal are showing some vulnerability

Ledigs
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Nadal will but it will be harder for him cause Federer won't take out all the difficult opponents before the finals for him :O)

malakas
11-29-2009, 01:00 PM
No I don't think so,except maybe Nadal in the clay season.And that's doubtful.

kishnabe
11-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm liking next year, since next year will very unknown. You can't really say who is going to win. Even if fed wins all the slams, He can potentially lose next year. Just thinking about it makes me Hyped.

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 01:57 PM
2010 will still be mostly Fedal domination as usual.

Tsonga#1fan
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
They will both be big time contenders, but looses to other players shouldn't be unexpected. Federer is starting to decline and Nadal's career year was '08 and he will never have another year like that. Depending on how the rankings shape up, how fast Federer's decline progresses, and whether or not Nadal truly regains his form of old, we may have already seen our last Federer/Nadal final at a slam.

ClubHoUno
11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I Think next year will be fedal dominated, but this will probably be the last year, before the newcomers start to mess this domination up.....

OddJack
11-29-2009, 04:24 PM
It will be difficult to bring down Rodge from the top spot.

Nadal Could go up to Quarters in AO. Djoker will threaten his spot through out the year, unless he can do well at FO and W.

Delpo will take AO and the 4th spot away from Murray.

Murray will drop to 5 at the year end.

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Every year since 2007 they keep saying "Will Fedal domination be stopped" and 3 years running it keeps up....

bruce38
11-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Both Fed and Nadal will be back when it comes to the slams. Fed will surprise a lot of you in 2010.

Tsonga#1fan
11-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Every year since 2007 they keep saying "Will Fedal domination be stopped" and 3 years running it keeps up....

I haven't been in a coma, there has been no domination by either one in quite a while. As for Federer, having a very successful year and dominating it are entirely different.

AJK1
11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Fed yes, Nadal no.

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I haven't been in a coma, there has been no domination by either one in quite a while. As for Federer, having a very successful year and dominating it are entirely different.

They still dominating the slams in 2009, winning 3/4.

Cantankersore
11-29-2009, 07:09 PM

In tennis, two slams and reaching all four finals is dominating. Two slams is the most Sampras ever got in a year, and he never reached all four finals, yet he was frequently said to dominate. It may not be up to his previous standards, but it was still an unrealistically good year by most standards.

shaysrebelII
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't particularly think it's aging and injury that's stopping both of them right now. Quite frankly, I think they just need to play better tennis. They've both been off their game for awhile, so I think if they go back to what earned them all their slams, they'll be fine. Maybe not previous levels of domination, but imo still the top two in the game.

Bud
11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I think Nadal and Federer will be forces to reckon with in 2010...

However, I think there will be more players in the mix going for major titles. I'm thinking 2 of the 4 GS's in 2010 will be won by players other than Federer or Nadal.

T1000
11-29-2009, 07:40 PM
They'll dominate the slams, but the masters will probably go to Davy, Murray, Djoko, and Del Potro

jamesblakefan#1
11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Both Nadal and Fed are still going to be the players to beat if you want to wina slam. It's become clear now that neither one goes all out in these smaller events - even though the YEC is a big event, it's still nothing compared to a slam, and Fed and Nadal both had that mindset this week.

To use the YEC as a basis as to why the Fed-Nadal dominance is over is short sighted, IMO

Fed is clearly not done, as his 4 slam finals and 2 slams show. And Nadal, IMO, will return next year at full strength mentally, maybe not at 08 Nadal level, but definitely still will be a factor in all 4 majors next year. I'd be surprised if they didn't take 3 of the 4 slams once again next year.

It's not like we haven't seen this before from both of them this time of the year. They've both had bad finishes to end the season in the past, but always show up like clockwork once the AO rolls around.

If by dominate you mean win all of the slams/MS titles, then no. But in the slams, they will still be the two players to beat.

MuseFan
11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I think in 2010 Nadal will start learning to pace himself, peaking for selected Masters and the slams instead of going all out at every single event. Basically take a page from Federer on that.

dh003i
11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't think that Federer getting to the SF of the YEC counts as a "bad end" to the year. I mean, what standards!

Tsonga#1fan
11-30-2009, 02:42 AM
In tennis, two slams and reaching all four finals is dominating. Two slams is the most Sampras ever got in a year, and he never reached all four finals, yet he was frequently said to dominate. It may not be up to his previous standards, but it was still an unrealistically good year by most standards.

Federer in '09

vs Nadal 1-1
vs Djokovic 2-3
vs Murray 2-2
vs Del Potro 3-2

grand slam finals: 2-2

Nadal 0-1
Soderling 1-0
Roddick 1-0
del Potro 0-1

Great year by any standards. Dominating, anything but, at least against the rest of the top five.

zagor
11-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Federer in '09

vs Nadal 1-1
vs Djokovic 2-3
vs Murray 2-2
vs Del Potro 3-2

grand slam finals: 2-2

Nadal 0-1
Soderling 1-0
Roddick 1-0
del Potro 0-1

Great year by any standards. Dominating, anything but, at least against the rest of the top five.

Actually,winning 2 slams,reaching 4 slam finals and winning 2 masters series is dominating a tennis year.It's results that count and define a year not H2H records(which this forum seems obssesed with).

And overall this year was still Fed-Nadal show given that they won 3 out of 4 slams,next year it might be different.

marpiw
11-30-2009, 04:08 AM
I find that next year(2010) will be a year of continouous changes in the top 5 because many players such as Nikolai Davydenko,Juan Martin del Porto,Novak Djokovic,Fernando Verdasco and others I cant recall in this moment have improved greatly the effectiveness of their play and it wont be rare to find a different champion in each tournament depending on the momentum each player is going through...so Nadal and Federer will have to prepare themselves psycholgically for the possibility of being thrown out of the tournaments even at early stages...under this circumstances to predict who will be the NUMBER ONE during and in the end of the season will be impossible...perhaps we will have 6 or 7 NUMBER ONES during the year...

Arailic
11-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Very well possible, because the rest of the filed has to prove differently and until then there are only speculations.

Federer will never fall. He made history and he will always be up there for everybody else to try to take him down/break his record... As far as rankings for 2010 go, I agree a lot can happen next year, but at the moment we can only predict and we all know that predicting does not cost money unless we gamble. Prediction is always one thing and reality will be something different... Sure Nole has a chance, he's had it before, but will he take it or will he fade away like he used to in the past. Sure Delpo has a chance, but I just don't see him up there just yet. His movement and overall game just needs improvement for a #1 spot and more slams. Murray is just a story by itself... He will have to change certain elements in his game. Nadal, well his game declined, but I have a strong feeling he will surprise us pleasantly in 2010..... Rodick has been out, but he may have a slam left in him.... So a lot can happen and I guess it will just be challenging next year, because the field is no longer a one or two-way street. There are multiple streets opening and multiple contenders for the number 1 spot, but who will be the Maestro to deliver??? That is the 1 mil. dollar question????

SteveI
11-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Nadal will be back next year, you can count on that.
Probably Fed too, but his decline because of aging is knocking on the door harder,as the years pass

I have to agree. They both will have to work extra hard and have some luck to stay on top. What does Fed have to prove that this point. I am guessing he may play Davis Cup and is interested in winning a few more GSs.. other than that he might not have the drive. Rafa has other issues, injury.. metal focus.. and the field catching up.