PDA

View Full Version : Is history repeating itself? Federer & Navratilova

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 03:14 PM
It was 1987.....15 grand slam singles champion Martina Navratilova was in the finals of the FO. Her opponent Steffi Graf who beat Martina in the final
to snap her 15 grand slam streak. Steffi went on to beat Martina at the US Open and Wimbledon finals.

The question is will Delpotro do the same thing ?

Outbeyond
11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
It was 1987.....15 grand slam singles champion Martina Navratilova was in the finals of the FO. Her opponent Steffi Graf who beat Martina in the final
to snap her 15 grand slam streak. Steffi went on to beat Martina at the US Open and Wimbledon finals.

Well, of course it's possible, based upon his win of the Open in 2009 and upon what we've seen of him lately, that Del Potro can win hardcourt finals. But before we assume he can take over the world, do you know his track record on grass?

He's an exciting up/coming player on the scene and has super potential. But I'm going to wait and see how the Fed and Nadal and Djokovic and Roddick (and, yeah, OK maybe Murray...sigh :)) do in early 2010 before I jump to any conclusions on DP.

AM95
11-29-2009, 03:50 PM
no he will not, because Federer is Federer, and we all know he tanked the third set.

Omega_7000
11-29-2009, 03:53 PM

No .

Tsonga#1fan
11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
no he will not, because Federer is Federer, and we all know he tanked the third set.

del Potro might not have to. Somebody might knock him out before del Potro has to.

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 04:11 PM
On the other hand the Nadal analogy is pretty good as well.

Federer had 13 slams when Nadal beat him at the AO the the FO and then Wimbledon and knocked Roger out of the no. 1 spot.

Similarly graff beat Navratilova at 15 slams at the FO Wimbledon and USO Knocking Martina from the NO. 1 spot amd starting a rivalry that ended in 9-9 head to head.

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Fed got paid off?

ClubHoUno
11-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Fed got paid off?

No he just hates Mubster Redtard Gig Boy, like so many others do :oops:

Cantankersore
11-29-2009, 04:45 PM
On the other hand the Nadal analogy is pretty good as well.

Federer had 13 slams when Nadal beat him at the AO the the FO and then Wimbledon and knocked Roger out of the no. 1 spot.

Similarly graff beat Navratilova at 15 slams at the FO Wimbledon and USO Knocking Martina from the NO. 1 spot amd starting a rivalry that ended in 9-9 head to head.

No, it doesn't work. You have your chronology wrong anyway. Nadal always beat Federer at the FO, beat him at Wimbledon to essentially take the number one, didn't really do much and the USO and beat Federer at the AO the next year. Besides, I'm pretty sure the best of Nadal is behind him, not that he can't continue to play well and win a few FOs. I just can't see him returning to the level of 2008.

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 04:49 PM
No, it doesn't work. You have your chronology wrong anyway. Nadal always beat Federer at the FO, beat him at Wimbledon to essentially take the number one, didn't really do much and the USO and beat Federer at the AO the next year. Besides, I'm pretty sure the best of Nadal is behind him, not that he can't continue to play well and win a few FOs. I just can't see him returning to the level of 2008.

Del potro is probably a better analogy .

But don't count Nadal out yet. He basically only lost one match .

Seany
11-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Let's not forget federer went through 2-3 years of practical invincibility, he would walk on court, and everybody watching, ******* or fedhater, knew who the winner would be, even against nadal on clay in 05/06 and maybe 07, we expected him to win.

No mens player will ever have that ora again.

dh003i
11-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Let's not forget federer went through 2-3 years of practical invincibility, he would walk on court, and everybody watching, ******* or fedhater, knew who the winner would be, even against nadal on clay in 05/06 and maybe 07, we expected him to win.

Yea, I think that Federer really should have notched more wins vs. Nadal on clay in '06, possibly even at the FO. He had chances. I think if he'd made the improvements / changes to his game then that he did in 2009 (primarily drop-shot), he would have had a better shot at the FO.

Mr. Tennis
11-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Even against Nadal on clay ? Am I missing something ? Nadal beat Federer 4 years in a row and then mopped the floor with him 6-3,6-1, 6-0.....no offense but WTF???

IvanAndreevich
11-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Even against Nadal on clay ? Am I missing something ? Nadal beat Federer 4 years in a row and then mopped the floor with him 6-3,6-1, 6-0.....no offense but WTF???
To be honest, many believed every year he would win the FO. Just search the old threads - 05 06 07 08 09 - many people always predicted Fed to win. Because even with the terrible match up on his worst surface he's Roger freaking Federer in a slam.

kishnabe
11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Hopefully not since Delpo is not a factor on grass yet. Clay maybe but remember the French Open was pretty fast this year for servers and flat risk takers.

pame
11-30-2009, 02:34 AM

Remember the first final they met in, Fed won the first set 6-0; Nadal won the match in a 4th set tie-break. That's what the poster was referring to

Mr. Tennis
11-30-2009, 04:40 AM
To be honest, many believed every year he would win the FO. Just search the old threads - 05 06 07 08 09 - many people always predicted Fed to win. Because even with the terrible match up on his worst surface he's Roger freaking Federer in a slam.

I understand . But I think it may be the other way around.

After Nadal detroyed Roger 6-3,6-1,6-0 Nadal and he broke the world record for consecutive clay court wins he was declared unbeatable on clay. Everyone was just shocked that he actually lost a match at the FO.

Furthermore when Rafa beat Roger at the AO, FO, and Wimbledon amd won the gold medal.....everyone thought Rafa was invincible amd that Roger was washed up.

I think Rafa actually had the greatest air of invincibility , unfortunately for Rafa that air was shortlived but fir a brief moment in tennis history he was invincible and the ATP especially Roger lost the match before they even stepped onto the court with that monster.

zapvor
11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I really hope Federer gets it together next year. He was so close to getting AO and US Open. definitely missed his chances.

Mustard
11-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Not in 1987. Martina beat Steffi in both the Wimbledon and US Open finals that year.

Mr. Tennis
11-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Not in 1987. Martina beat Steffi in both the Wimbledon and US Open finals that year.

check that ....I think its the other way around.

Mustard
11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
check that ....I think its the other way around.

1987 Wimbledon final: Martina def. Steffi 7-5, 6-3
1987 US Open final: Martina def. Steffi 7-6, 6-1

You're thinking of 1989.

1989 Wimbledon final: Steffi def. Martina 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
1989 US Open final: Steffi def. Martina 3-6, 7-5, 6-1

Mr. Tennis
11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
thank you.