PDA

View Full Version : YEC Final

jman
11-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry, but YEC final needs to be best of 5 sets!
Winning it in straight 2 sets somehow takes away it's prestige to me. Anyone else agree? RR format can stay best of 3 aswell as semi's, just wish the finals were best of five.
Not taking anything away from winner, I'm sure he could have won it in 3, or maybe it could have gone to 5, who knows. Somebody really needs to fix this.

JeMar
11-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with this. So much.

AM95
11-29-2009, 05:47 PM
100% agree

it used to be best of 5 until 2007, but now..well..its not. and its a shame..

not that JMDP could comeback :twisted:

T1000
11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
I miss those epic 5 set finals, like Becker v Sampras and Nalby v Fed

vive le beau jeu !
11-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Winning it in straight 2 sets somehow takes away it's prestige to me. Anyone else agree? RR format can stay best of 3 aswell as semi's, just wish the finals were best of five.
Not taking anything away from winner, I'm sure he could have won it in 3, or maybe it could have gone to 5, who knows. Somebody really needs to fix this.
i agree, more than 200% !
we need big finals for such a prestigious event.

deciding to remove all best-of-5 finals from the tour (appart from the slams) was a bit radical... some big events could have kept it, depending on their scheduling. and if one event had to keep it... it's the WTF, WTF !
(even the female masters had a best-of-5 final in the past...)

obsessedtennisfandisorder
11-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Since the previous week is an off week, i can't see why they don't
start the tourny on the saturday eg,

sat
sun
mon
tue
wed
thur
_break_
sat: semis
sun:5set final.

vive le beau jeu !
11-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Since the previous week is an off week, i can't see why they don't
start the tourny on the saturday eg,

sat
sun
mon
tue
wed
thur
_break_
sat: semis
sun:5set final.
good idea... but i guess they don't want to have an "empty day" towards the end of the tournament. they could still put some double matches there, but would it be enough for selling tickets ?
anyway, break or not... i want my best-of-5 final !!! ;)

tudwell
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Seriously. It's the last match of the year. Who cares if the guys are tired afterwards?

jones101
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Seriously. It's the last match of the year. Who cares if the guys are tired afterwards?

Exactly, any player would give their all for the last match of the year, and all that $$$, and I think fitting that the year should end with a bigger match, and potentally a 5 set epic.

Off topic, I hope next year they schedule the 2nd match earlier because I think its not fair for players and players need to be in a more consistent routine of macth play and getting to bed at 3am and coming back out the next day to play at 2 is stupid.

JoshDragon
11-30-2009, 04:36 PM

I agree, if it's going to be the final event of the year and only the best 8 are allowed to play then there should be more significance placed on it.

Outbeyond
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
And they kept promoting it as the most prestigious tournament after the Slams, so it makes sense to consider turning it into a best of 5 event.

But consider this: most of the Top Eight aren't Slam winners. They're not used to winning best of 5. Davydenko's comments recently that he's a winner of 3-set matches but would tire out for the 5 sets is a very telling back story on why they're probably keeping this as a 3-set event.

JoshDragon
11-30-2009, 08:51 PM
And they kept promoting it as the most prestigious tournament after the Slams, so it makes sense to consider turning it into a best of 5 event.

But consider this: most of the Top Eight aren't Slam winners. They're not used to winning best of 5. Davydenko's comments recently that he's a winner of 3-set matches but would tire out for the 5 sets is a very telling back story on why they're probably keeping this as a 3-set event.

That's not true at all. To be in the top 8 you are or should be making the fourth round or quarters finals of the majors. These guys usually win 4 or 5 best of 5 matches, at every slam. Trust me they're used to winning best of 5 set matches.

Outbeyond
12-01-2009, 03:16 AM
That's not true at all. To be in the top 8 you are or should be making the fourth round or quarters finals of the majors. These guys usually win 4 or 5 best of 5 matches, at every slam. Trust me they're used to winning best of 5 set matches.

OK, good point. I wasn't thinking about how everyone at top must play in GS events and thus be 5-set players. But my point is that most of the top eight aren't GS FINAL winners and that they might not be seen as having much chance at a 5-set final at YEC. Again, Davy himself said as much in a recent interview.

sh@de
12-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Agree with 5 sets.

jman
12-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Good point, but if they think they don't have a chance at a 5 set YEC final, what chances do they have of winning a grandslam?
Having the YEC final as best of 5, would be a great pre-cursor to the next season especially the Australian Open.