PDA

View Full Version : Which shot is more powerful?

teppeiahn1
11-29-2009, 09:27 PM
The forehand or the 1HBH?
Here, we are not talking about consistancy, accuracy, or angles.
Simply, which can be hit harder.

[d]ragon
11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Do you ever see/hear of pros hitting 100+ MPH 1HBHs?

teppeiahn1
11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
ragon;4160006']Do you ever see/hear of pros hitting 100+ MPH 1HBHs?

I sure don't.
I certainly dont have the time or will to fight this case so decided to pass a lateral.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296580&page=16

[d]ragon
11-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I sure don't.
I certainly dont have the time or will to fight this case so decided to pass a lateral.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296580&page=16

Didn't mean to be rude, sorry if it came out that way.

The forehand is definitely the more powerful shot. I don't quite understand the mechanics behind it though. It's just easier to hit a forehand than it is a backhand

teppeiahn1
11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
ragon;4160040']Didn't mean to be rude, sorry if it came out that way.

The forehand is definitely the more powerful shot. I don't quite understand the mechanics behind it though. It's just easier to hit a forehand than it is a backhand

Dont worry I didnt take it rude. I strongly agree that the forehand is the stronger shot, but if you check out that thread, there are disagreements.

Im just trying to get everyones thoughts on this.

bbbbbb
11-30-2009, 07:39 AM
if were talking in terms of most power potential without have the ball land in the court or anything were talking one handed backhand.Its more natural to swing like that at least to me and it takes advantage of your arms natural swing motion allowing faster arm acceleration and thus more power in it.But in terms of convetional use like in matches really its goin to typically be the forehand.

LeeD
11-30-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm with the BBBB's....
I can crack a 1HBH faster than my forehand, but I don't choose to, it doesn't go in as consistently.
Some experts say 1HBH is more natural and can be hit faster, but you don't see it applied in the pro level.
Why don't you go hit a wall, hit as flat and fast as you can, and see what happens?
Me, 1HBH is faster than everything except overheads. The ball has to set up lower thigh high, and no where else.

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
I can hit my 1HBH as hard as my FH as well (maybe harder)... but it is also my more consistant side... Last night off my first return of serve in a mens doubles night a smoked my BH return.... and saw a steady diet of forehands for the rest of the set. I have always found it the more natural side.... since you don't need to clear your body to release the shot.

albino smurf
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I can hit my FH harder/faster than my 1HBH, but I've been hitting a lot more winners with my BH lately. Not sure why, except maybe the people I've been playing are worse at their BHs than FHS...

Jay_The_Nomad
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
The forehand is certainly the more powerful shot.

Even though the forehand motion isn't as "whippy" as the 1hbh, you can drive into the ball with the leg muscles and the abs can really generate some torque into the ball.

The 1hbh on the other hand, it's tough to really power into the ball with the legs from a closed stance... and hitting with an open stance feels even more underpowered.

But that's just an opinion from a guy who hits with a 2hbh...

1hbh players might be better suited at answering this question.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I can hit a pretty hard one hander, but my forehand is just too big to be overpowered by my one hander. Though my one hander is probably the most consistent shot overall. I can rely on that shot far more than my forehand, but usually the difference isn't so big to be even noticeable. But occasionally, my forehand will break down, and my backhand will be the vastly superior shot. But that doesn't happen too often.

RafaBrain
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
The forehand or the 1HBH?
Here, we are not talking about consistancy, accuracy, or angles.
Simply, which can be hit harder.

... the word is 'powerful'.
My forehand can hit a ball over the fence, not my 1hbh.

LeeD
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
I can easily hit flat backhands over a 30' high fence behind my opposition, on a tennis court.
But if I want to hit FAR, then it's slightly sliced forehands. Underspin for distance, like a golf ball.
And I could probably slice a backhand easily that distance, but the backswing needs to be long, like a FRISBEE toss, almost always backhand!

Slazenger07
12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
alot of you guys must not know how to crack a one-handed backhand. Ive hit them close to 100mph. Definetly hit that shot harder than my forehand, which is more about heavy topspin.

Overall I think if youve got good technique and strong legs, arms, shoulders, the one-handed backhand can be hit harder than any forehand.

teppeiahn1
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
... the word is 'powerful'.
My forehand can hit a ball over the fence, not my 1hbh.

Thats why on the poll title saids "powerful". and use quotation marks.

"""""
'''''

defrule
12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I can spank balls much harder with my onehander but the ball needs to be a certainly height.

Nadalfan89
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Well if you take consistency and control out of the equation, the 1HB has the greatest power potential out of every shot, other than the first serve of course.

fruitytennis1
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
For all the people who said their 1hbh is faster are you comparing that to your normal forhand or are you talking about the absolute flat and hard fh you can hit. Just asking not doubting

LeeD
12-01-2009, 06:13 PM
For me, the 1hbh can be hit faster (ball speed) than even my fastest forehands, but my forehand sucks overall....:cry:
But the AVERAGE speed of my forehands is much faster than the average speed of my backhands. Forehands, I can hit hard whether it's low, medium, or shoulder high.
1HBH has to be perfectly in the strikezone, and those low balls are a daze gone by...... lower thigh is perfect.

Mazilla2219
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
If we omitted form and accuracy I would have to say that a 1hbh can be hit with more force (power) than a forehand. I feel that you get more rotational force with a 1hbh. Let's use another example a backhand slap to the face is much more powerful than a forehand slap.

spacediver
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
yeah i can really whip my 1hbh although it's hard to keep it consistently in. Leed brought up the frisbee analogy - i've played ultimate frisbee, and generally people use the backhand frisbee toss for distance instead of the forehand.

LeeD
12-02-2009, 08:30 AM
and the golf swing is a backhand, not a two handed right handed powered forehand.

12-02-2009, 08:56 AM
years ago when I only hit a one hander Bh, we were using the radar gun and my one hander was consistently 5-7 mph faster than my Fh, much to my surprise.
What was even more surprising was how much easier it was for me to generate that speed on the Bh, as compared to the Fh.
I did not expect this at all and did not feel my one hander was even that good at the time.

gunbuster
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I think for biomechanics, the backhand has more potential power. Think about throwing a frisbee w/ a backhand vs a forehand motion. Having said that, it appears that the conditions required to really crack a backhand are as common as they are on the forehand side.

LeeD
12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
AREN'T ?? :shock::shock:
Forehands seem to be hit hard chest high down to knee high.
FOR ME, I can only crush a 1HBH if it's incoming at mid thigh heights. I guess after some old fart knee bend, that would be about net cord height or hip high strike zone.

spacediver
12-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Based on the start of that sentence ("Having said that...") I think he meant to say "aren't"

LeeD
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Gunbuster....
I used to be into IPSC .45 work, having reloaded over 40,000 rounds and visiting JeffCooper's Gunsite in Arizona several times.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Forehand of course.

teppeiahn1
12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Forehand of course.

This is what I initialy thought as well. In the poll, forehand vote dominates the backhand, yet only people discussing are voters towards the backhand.

im starting to have dobts:confused:

spacediver
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
ultimately this is a question that requires empirical verification, either through a controlled experiment, or through advanced computational modeling.

That would be ideal.

Until then, we have to rely mainly on anecdotal evidence from those who are in a position of knowledge and experience to comment. In addition to this, we have a historical record of recorded professional events, although it's possible that, due to consistency issues, players will be more likely to let forehand winners rip vs. 1hbh backhand winners.

Leed: I've read that the fastest recorded forehand was by monfils at around 118 mph.

Any idea what the fastest recorded 1hbh is?

What about the average backhand winner - are there any stats on these to compare between forehand and backhand winners?

I'd also be interested in comparing velocity stats between 1hbh and 2hbh

T1000
12-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I can hit my backhand harder, its more natural

LeeD
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Spacediver, I think I already mentioned the current fastest forehands in a match outpace the 1hbh's.
But we're not talking ONLY during matches, we're talking theoritical possibilities, aren't we?
For me, the 1hbh has to have a perfect height incoming ball, a rare occurance during a match. I SAID a hard flat forehand is easier to hit with higher AND lower incoming balls.
But ideal ball, upper thigh, 1hbh.
I cited frisbee and golf.
Do you have examples where a forehand is used to project something far?
OK, discus is double spin forehand.
Can't use pitcher or QB motions, a those are really overheads. There ARE sidewinders who toss the ball over 95, but we aren't all RandyJohnson at 6'10" tall, or Monfils at whatever 6'6".

Blake0
12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Wanna know something really sad..right now i can safely say my forehand is faster then my serve..not only my oppinion..but my coaches and friends too.

tricky
12-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Theoretically, the FH. No contest. Your shoulder is much stronger rotating internally than externally.

In actual practice, it'll vary. Correct 1H BH emphasizes hitting through the ball, and that itself is a core basis for power. A lot of people tend to wipe on the ball with their FHs and never really experience what driving through the ball is.

LeeD
12-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Still can't discount golf and frisbee throwing.

teppeiahn1
12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Still can't discount golf and frisbee throwing.

For frisbee, you snap your wrist, backhand you dont have that snap motion.

Cant say much about golf because i never play it or study it but you do hit with 2 hands.

like tricky said, lots of player these days think windshield wiper is the money and forget to lean into their forehand and just slaps the ball.

Also I do believe him about the shoulder because boxers deadlyest weapon is the hook(forehand in a scence).Not the backhand punch or w.e u call the backhand motion of the hook.

Slazenger07
12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
When Im driving through each shot as hard as I can, my 1hbh can be hit faster than my forehand, I find my strike zone for it is anywhere shoulder high to lower thigh, if the balls in that range I can crack it effectively.

Netspirit
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
The forehand is faster when done right. There are more big body muscles involved in this shot (legs, core, etc.).

The 1-handed backhand is basically the shoulder plus stepping into the ball. There is not as much rotation or leg drive.

The golf backhand stroke mentioned above is different. It is all about body uncoiling, it feels closer to the two-handed tennis backhand to me.

LeeD
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Most 2hbh players hit with the oft hand, not like golf, where you lead with the left all the way.
In boxing, it's AGAINST the rules to hit backhanded at your opponent !! Why? I don't know, similar to karate chop to me.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Del Potro can hit a 110 mph forehand. Has anyone ever seen a backhand clocked at over 100?

autumn_leaf
12-11-2009, 06:54 PM
i can hit the 1hbh faster, but everything needs to be just right lol.

canuckfan
12-11-2009, 09:30 PM
^ I agree. When everything is just right I can crank my one handed bh down the line, and its a beast (and it feels effortless). But I have more spin and higher shot tolerance on my forehand. It's possible that my forehand could get bigger, but it's harder to control and so i back off it a bit. With my bh i can let fly and it lands inside the baseline.

papa
12-12-2009, 06:08 AM
............. pass a lateral.

Can you actually "pass" a "lateral" - football terms?