PDA

View Full Version : Serena fined $175,000!

Pages : [1] 2

batz
11-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Half suspended. Also has a suspended 3 year ban from the USO.

settolove
11-30-2009, 04:44 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8363873.stm
Serena Williams has been fined and given a suspended three-year ban from the US Open for her tirade at a line judge at Flushing Meadows.

The American, 28, verbally abused an official who called a foot-fault, giving Kim Clijsters a match point in their semi-final encounter this year.

The world number one will incur the ban if she commits any further "major offence" before the end of 2011.

In that case, her fine will also double to £106,000.

Seany
11-30-2009, 04:46 AM
Jesus....that seems a rather harsh punishment /sarcasm

jrod
11-30-2009, 04:55 AM
This is different than what the AP is reporting:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091130/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_swilliams_penalty

Far less severe penalty than the BBC's initial report....

batz
11-30-2009, 05:00 AM
This is different than what the AP is reporting:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091130/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_swilliams_penalty

Far less severe penalty than the BBC's initial report....

They are saying the same as I did (although I got the number wrong, should have been $165k with half suspended - now fixed).

PatrickB
11-30-2009, 05:04 AM
So, to be clear - the current penalty she got for threatening the life of an official is about 20% of what she won at the U.S. Open, and that could go up to 40% of what she won and a suspension if she does it again?

jrod
11-30-2009, 05:05 AM
They are saying the same as I did (although I got the number wrong, should have been $165k with half suspended - now fixed).

A fine of a $82.5K and a probationary period of two years?

MichaelChang
11-30-2009, 05:05 AM
so she is not really banned from any tournament, as long as she "behaves"?

batz
11-30-2009, 05:07 AM
So, to be clear - the current penalty she got for threatening the life of an official is about 20% of what she won at the U.S. Open, and that could go up to 40% of what she won and a suspension if she does it again?

That would be correct.

settolove
11-30-2009, 05:08 AM

Pretty much and I think this ban only applies to the US Open.

MichaelChang
11-30-2009, 05:10 AM
this is pretty lame. She pretty much got out of it without any real punishment.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-30-2009, 05:12 AM

She cant play the USO until 2013 ???? :shock::shock:

175,000 USD is a fair punishment imo.

batz
11-30-2009, 05:13 AM

They are saying pretty much the same thing. BBC just clarify that it is possible for Serena to be banned from USO 2012 as a result of any future misbeahaviour before 01/01/12. So while the period of her required good behaviour is 2 years, the impact of non-adherence extends to USO 2012.

COPEY
11-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Probably even more amazing than than the topic of this thread is that all of you are surprised. A pro football player got 3 months in jail for vehicular manslaughter, which in my view is far worse than Serena's verbal threat. I'm certainly not implying that it should've gone unpunished (and harshly), but I'm not surprised that given what she rakes in it amounts to nothing more than mere pocket change.

batz
11-30-2009, 05:15 AM
She cant play the USO until 2013 ???? :shock::shock:

175,000 USD is a fair punishment imo.

No - it's suspended. That's what she gets is she misbehaves again. Half her fine (which is 165 k not 175 - my mistake) is also suspended - so she pays $82.5k now, and would be have to pay the same again plus serve a 3 year USO ban if she misbehaves in future.

kkm
11-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Probably even more amazing than than the topic of this thread is that all of you are surprised. A pro football player got 3 months in jail for vehicular manslaughter, which in my view is far worse than Serena's verbal threat. I'm certainly not implying that it should've gone unpunished (and harshly), but I'm not surprised that given what she rakes in it amounts to nothing more than mere pocket change.

Yeah, but he can't play football for now, as he's been suspended for the 2009 season, and it's yet to be seen if he can get his career back on track later. A presumably hefty financial settlement with the decedent's family is probably what kept him from further jail time. He's also under house arrest for two years, probation for eight years, and can never drive in Florida again.

SteveI
11-30-2009, 05:46 AM
No - it's suspended. That's what she gets is she misbehaves again. Half her fine (which is 165 k not 175 - my mistake) is also suspended - so she pays $82.5k now, and would be have to pay the same again plus serve a 3 year USO ban if she misbehaves in future.

wow... $82.5k bet that hurts...and a suspended 3 year.. (not really a ban). They really hit her hard. Nice work..ITF,USTA and WTA. Total joke.

pmerk34
11-30-2009, 05:48 AM

Babcock said a “major offense” under Grand Slam rules is “any conduct that is determined to be the ’major offense’ of ’aggravated behavior’ or ’conduct detrimental to the game.”’ There is no specific definition of what sort of actions constitute a “major offense.”He said the highest possible fine that Williams could face — $175,000, if she violates her Grand Slam probation — was chosen because it is the difference in winnings between reaching the quarterfinals and semifinals at the U.S. Open. The $10,000 Williams already was docked by the USTA will be counted toward that total; that’s why she is paying half of $165,000 now.

During the Sept. 12 match at Flushing Meadows, the foot fault — a call rarely, if ever, made at that stage of such a significant match — resulted in a double-fault for Williams, moving Clijsters one point from victory.

The foot fault call was a joke.

malakas
11-30-2009, 05:56 AM

yes.I know pretty harsh for a lifethreat :rolleyes:

But what hurts more for Serena now is her pride.:)

SteveI
11-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Babcock said a “major offense” under Grand Slam rules is “any conduct that is determined to be the ’major offense’ of ’aggravated behavior’ or ’conduct detrimental to the game.”’ There is no specific definition of what sort of actions constitute a “major offense.”He said the highest possible fine that Williams could face — $175,000, if she violates her Grand Slam probation — was chosen because it is the difference in winnings between reaching the quarterfinals and semifinals at the U.S. Open. The $10,000 Williams already was docked by the USTA will be counted toward that total; that’s why she is paying half of $165,000 now.

During the Sept. 12 match at Flushing Meadows, the foot fault — a call rarely, if ever, made at that stage of such a significant match — resulted in a double-fault for Williams, moving Clijsters one point from victory.

The call was not a joke.. it was the right call. Her reaction was is way over the line and she was let off with really no penalties.. but no surprise. The lack of no real sanctions is a joke. Yes "pretty harsh for a lifethreat."

COPEY
11-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah, but he can't play football for now, as he's been suspended for the 2009 season, and it's yet to be seen if he can get his career back on track later. A presumably hefty financial settlement with the decedent's family is probably what kept him from further jail time. He's also under house arrest for two years, probation for eight years, and can never drive in Florida again.

Yes, and you just made my point - for "taking" a life that's a slap on the wrist. Money and spending two years in your own home? lol The 8-years probation is meaningless, and as for never driving in Florida again...please.

malakas
11-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Oh yes because the rules are jokes.

fleabitten
11-30-2009, 06:06 AM

Huh? This article said $82k and a probation at Majors - does not mention a 3 year ban from USO.

Talker
11-30-2009, 06:16 AM
I guess it's a good decision, part of the reason for it is the image of the game.

82 grand is little for Serena so that didn't hurt her and since it is a probation period she just has to keep her nose clean.

She needed a probation period, linesman shouldn't feel any kind of intimidation at all, it could effect the calls.

OddJack
11-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Yeah... it's 82,500 which is a record fine, if she repeats a major offense, it will be increased to 175k

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34204918/ns/sports-tennis/

Not enough. They should have thrown her out.

batz
11-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Huh? This article said $82k and a probation at Majors - does not mention a 3 year ban from USO.

If Serena misbehaves in such a way again between now and 01/01/12 then she will be banned from the following USO. For a three year period, it is possible for Serena to be banned from the USO is she repeats her behavour.

Hope that clears things up; apologies for any confusion.

kishnabe
11-30-2009, 06:28 AM
175 000 is possibly nothing to her. A 3 year ban would be harsh. Maybe a 2 year ban would be suffcient.

GS
11-30-2009, 06:31 AM
At least she got fined more than Jeff Tarango back in '95 ($15,500)---he just yelled at the umpire, told the crowd to shut up, and walked off. He also got banned from the next 2 Slam tourneys---Queen Serena didn't, which is crap.

MuseFan
11-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Too bad, I was hoping for immediate lifetime ban from the WTA and retroactive stripping of all her major titles. :)

prjacobs
11-30-2009, 06:39 AM
In my opinion, Serena should've been disqualified and she should've forfeited all money earned at the Open. I've always liked her and love her playing, but her tirade was total bull#$%t. At a certain point, you have to draw the line.

Cantankersore
11-30-2009, 06:41 AM
I thought a suspension of some sort was in order, but this is a pretty fair punishment. The fine could have been bigger though.

SteveI
11-30-2009, 06:42 AM
At least she got fined more than Jeff Tarango back in '95 ($15,500)---he just yelled at the umpire, told the crowd to shut up, and walked off. He also got banned from the next 2 Slam tourneys---Queen Serena didn't, which is crap.

They should have took her USO Prize money.. banned her from the doubles final. In addtion, a one year ban from Grand Slams and at least a 2 mil fine. $82.5 K fine and suspened ban??? Why even bother?? The entire tennis community should be ashamed. Heck.. all she did was (On National TV/In Prime Time/Biggest Tennis Stage in the World/One of the Biggest Names in Tennis) make a "lifethreat" to a tennis offical 1/2 her size with a deadly weapon. Other than that.. no big deal.. :-(

malakas
11-30-2009, 06:45 AM
If Serena was banned ,we would get rid of cuddles.
Bummer...:(

sureshs
11-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Hope the line judge is punished for the incorrect foot fault call.

malakas
11-30-2009, 06:49 AM

oh yes she had the same treatment as all the line judges who are humans and make mistakes.
However I'm afraid not exactly the punishment Serena had in mind.:(

sureshs
11-30-2009, 06:51 AM
oh yes she had the same treatment as all the line judges who are humans and make mistakes.
However I'm afraid not exactly the punishment Serena had in mind.:(

I think this line judge's mistake was not a regular human mistake.

malakas
11-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Hmm..now that you say it..

She must not be a human at all.
She's the devil!!!!:shock: :evil:

SteveI
11-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Her reaction to the Correct Call is the issue. The lines person/call is not the issue.

sureshs
11-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Her reaction to the Correct Line Call is the issue. The lines person/call is not the issue.

I think Serena deserved her punishment.

But I also think all was not kosher with the line person (and not due to the correctness of the call).

eagle
11-30-2009, 07:09 AM
The lines person should retire. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help that one.

Hopefully Serena will steer clear of such ill-advised behavior on court. It'll be a mark on her career but she'll weather it. Can't really argue with her achievements no matter how much she is disliked by many.

r,
eagle

sureshs
11-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Serena is a boiling cauldron of anger, hostility, competitiveness, and sexuality. Part of it is her nature, part is fueled by reactions to her. There was probably not even a male tennis player with so much anger, except Johnny Mac.

PatrickB
11-30-2009, 07:15 AM

Serena has admitted that she probably foot faulted there. Are you suggesting that officials actually enforcing the rules in the rule book is a joke?

PatrickB
11-30-2009, 07:18 AM

Even Serena has admitted that she probably foot faulted there. Are you suggesting that the line judge shouldn't have enforced the foot fault rule when she saw it violated?

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Some people on here are just masochists. Asking for a 3 year for this supposed 'death threat' (which no one associated with NYC law or the lineswoman took as a death threat) is too much.

To me the punishment is fair. It's not like Serena has a track record of these kinds of incidents, ala a McEnroe, Connors, Nastase, etc. So for a first time offense, I think this is a just punishment.

PatrickB
11-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Some people on here are just masochists.

I do not think that means what you think it means.

A three year suspension would have been too much, yes. In addition to the suspended ban, I believe she should have had to forfeit all of her U.S. open winnings *and* all points from the U.S. open, because if she had been defaulted from that match (as she should have been), that would have been the punishment.

batz
11-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Some people on here are just masochists. Asking for a 3 year for this supposed 'death threat' (which no one associated with NYC law or the lineswoman took as a death threat) is too much.

To me the punishment is fair. It's not like Serena has a track record of these kinds of incidents, ala a McEnroe, Connors, Nastase, etc. So for a first time offense, I think this is a just punishment.

Sadists, surely? ;)

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 07:36 AM
A three year suspension would have been too much, yes. In addition to the suspended ban, I believe she should have had to forfeit all of her U.S. open winnings *and* all points from the U.S. open, because if she had been defaulted from that match (as she should have been), that would have been the punishment.

I think this would have been a fair punishment if handed down. I do think suspending Serena from any further slams would've been too much, IMO.

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 07:39 AM

This would only be a break even penalty... the 3 USO suspension and all her prize money and points would be a more reasonable result. The only way a player will respect the rules it so make the penalty fit the act... If she was given the actual penalty and not a suspended sentence... all they have done is provided a precedence for the next player, they now all know that no matter what they do they get at least one freebee.

federer_FREAK
11-30-2009, 07:48 AM
This would only be a break even penalty... the 3 USO suspension and all her prize money and points would be a more reasonable result. The only way a player will respect the rules it so make the penalty fit the act... If she was given the actual penalty and not a suspended sentence... all they have done is provided a precedence for the next player, they now all know that no matter what they do they get at least one freebee.

Freebees are nice. It gives a less popular sport some publicity.

rommil
11-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Serena is a boiling cauldron of anger, hostility, competitiveness, and sexuality. Part of it is her nature, part is fueled by reactions to her. There was probably not even a male tennis player with so much anger, except Johnny Mac.

Also , fat and big bones which I don't think Johnny Mac had.

sureshs
11-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Also , fat and big bones which I don't think Johnny Mac had.

Mac also did not have a Career Slam and was an outright cheater.

rommil
11-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Mac also did not have a Career Slam and was an outright cheater.

That too......also by the end of Serena's career, she will have a better record than Takeru Kobayashi. Go girl!

rommil
11-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Hungry people all over the world are terrified when Serena announced she will start a foundation to feed the hungry.

jones101
11-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I would like to hear cuddles opinion on this. I want to know what he/she/it thinks.

Personally I think it is fair and reasonable.

edmondsm
11-30-2009, 08:34 AM
This fine isn't a big deal to Serena but it would be to a lot of tennis players so at least it sends the right message I think.

malakas
11-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Serena is a boiling cauldron of sexuality..

err ok...to each their own surechs!!

sureshs
11-30-2009, 09:09 AM
err ok...to each their own surechs!!

I think you are mistakenly assuming that I am saying she is sexy to others - I was refering to her own desires.

dh003i
11-30-2009, 09:12 AM

In other words, she's basically banned from the tournament ;-P

malakas
11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I think you are mistakenly assuming that I am saying she is sexy to others - I was refering to her own desires.

riiigghhht...:)
There's nothing wrong to that sureshs.I mean you enjoy posting over 10000 trolling posts in a forum where everybody ends up making fun of you.Fancying Serena is no less kinky than that!

Here's some nice pics for you. ;) Enjoy!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tYTIVZZm8gc/StkudrRGgYI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/BmOXUmxBg0A/s640/serena-williams-sexy.jpg

http://mdb2.ibibo.com/0025388a1aa616c7465645f5f83d00d716d0b4cdc2542777a5 923fd9539f05b163a47a95796152d395672fc22dabc8a47701 cec72.jpeg/serena-williams-hot-sexy-boobs.jpeg

malakas
11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
In other words, she's basically banned from the tournament ;-P

Unfortunately behaving doesn't include "giving right credit to the opponents even if they beat me" according to the ITF rules.:( I guess she just have to restrain herself a bit not to make lifethreats and she will pass.

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 09:38 AM
This fine isn't a big deal to Serena but it would be to a lot of tennis players so at least it sends the right message I think.

Not if it is proportional to the players winnings...

Rhino
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Hmmm, she got off lightly, should have been banned for a few tournaments at least.

vanity
11-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I doubt she really cares about the USO. Her winning days are coming to an end with the return of Henin and on fire Clijsters anyway...

rommil
11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, she got off lightly, should have been banned for a few tournaments at least.

Ban her from the tournament food court!!!!!

jones101
11-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I doubt she really cares about the USO. Her winning days are coming to an end with the return of Henin and on fire Clijsters anyway...

Is this the same Cljsters who in her last match Patty Schnyder (of all people) bounced her out the tournament she has won 5 times, for all puposes her home tourney.

I respect clijsters but I dont think she will dominate the tour in 2010.

vanity
11-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Is this the same Cljsters who in her last match Patty Schnyder (of all people) bounced her out the tournament she has won 5 times, for all puposes her home tourney.

I respect clijsters but I dont think she will dominate the tour in 2010.

I'm speaking about the slams here. She missed the whole Asian swing and one can assume that she doesn't really care about the other tourneys.

Chadwixx
11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Professional tennis giving preferential treatment to star players??? NO WAY

Serendipitous
11-30-2009, 11:11 AM
The linesjudge who made the call should publish a book called "Serena Williams and the Call."

It will sell like crazy.

MuseFan
11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Ban her from tennis.

jones101
11-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm speaking about the slams here. She missed the whole Asian swing and one can assume that she doesn't really care about the other tourneys.

That tourney is a special place for her.

A. Its the first tournament she ever won.

B. It was the only post USO event she was playing, so she would have wanted to do well there, otherwise she could have waited until 2010.

C. A grand slam champ would not wanted to go out in her next event in the lowest level tour event on the WTA.

Also, Kim has never been a 'slam peaker' and usually played her worse match in the QF/SF/F so even though her USO was amazing and 100% deserved. 2010 she will feel she is expected to do well there and IMO she will not do as well under the pressure of BEING expected to do well.

Whatever you say about Serena, she usually delivers.

Chadwixx
11-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Burning her at the stake wasnt even considerd :(

PatrickB
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Burning her at the stake wasnt even considerd :(

Unfair to the stake.

vicnan
11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I suppose we should be happy that the Grand Slam Committee concluded this investigation in just over two and half months instead of waiting till the next US Open. What there was to investigate I still do not know -- this is about as clearcut a case of a player abusing and threatening an official as there can be.

I suppose we should also be happy that they in fact levied a fine of $82,500. Word has it that they wanted to levy a larger fine along with suspension from one or more majors in 2010, but the members of the committee insisted that she should have actually shoved the ball and hit the official with the racket for her to have merited such a draconian punishment. Since she only used words and did not physically harm the official, she should be let go with a light punishment.

The upside for Serena is that the next time she berates or even hits an official, she will only be charged $82,500, which as we all know is chump change for her. I'm fully expecting that she will throw a racket at an official or fall on them and knock them out. Here's looking forward to either or both possibilities.

vicnan
11-30-2009, 02:12 PM
The linesjudge who made the call should publish a book called "Serena Williams and the Call."

It will sell like crazy.

Right on. That's the American way. I hear the White House gate-crashers are peddling their story to the networks.

OrangeOne
11-30-2009, 02:23 PM
They should have took her USO Prize money.. banned her from the doubles final. In addtion, a one year ban from Grand Slams and at least a 2 mil fine. $82.5 K fine and suspened ban??? Why even bother?? The entire tennis community should be ashamed. Heck.. all she did was (On National TV/In Prime Time/Biggest Tennis Stage in the World/One of the Biggest Names in Tennis) make a "lifethreat" to a tennis offical 1/2 her size with a deadly weapon. Other than that.. no big deal.. :-(

I agree. Ridiculous. She could pull the 82.5k out of her pocket.

If she was a no-name, this would be a suspension.

BLX
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Ban her from tennis.

http://www.playkon.com/uploads/2008/02/No-U.jpg

drakulie
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
way too little.

THUNDERVOLLEY
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
So, this all boils down to SW not being kicked out of the sport (as some cried for), and being fined for what amounts to a mild shopping spree's worth of money. As for the "suspension," SW can handle herself, but I will not be surprised if some idiot player or official tries to bait her into a rant.

Outbeyond
11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
That's peanuts to the multimillionaire Serena. And she paid it quick and is now wisely playing it contrite. Clearly, both she and the Tennis Powers That Be just want all this behind them. I'll bet she's made amends to the lineswoman, too, if only behind the scenes.

flyinghippos101
11-30-2009, 05:15 PM
The ITF would never muster the courage or the balls to ban Williams. She's the bread and butter for the WTA, or atleast until Henin returns.

LiveForever
11-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I think people were way too hard on her. She didnt physically attack the umpire and found a way to compose herself. I am sure much worse things have been said on the court that go undetected. But whatever, I am happy she isnt banned because she is a great player.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I think people were way too hard on her. She didnt physically attack the umpire and found a way to compose herself. I am sure much worse things have been said on the court that go undetected. But whatever, I am happy she isnt banned because she is a great player.

She threatened to shove the ball down the umpire's throat. That is a death threat. You say it is not? Don't you know about the wide rash of tennis ball shoving-related deaths we've seen? So yes, it was a death threat. She should have been locked up and persecuted for this death threat.

TennisNinja
11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Who cares that's like $10 to her. What they needed to do was make it so she couldn't play the next slam, or US Open. Whatever.

LiveForever
11-30-2009, 05:50 PM
She threatened to shove the ball down the umpire's throat. That is a death threat. You say it is not? Don't you know about the wide rash of tennis ball shoving-related deaths we've seen? So yes, it was a death threat. She should have been locked up and persecuted for this death threat.
LOL. I cant figure out if this is a sarcastic or serious post. :D I hope it was sarcasm.

LDVTennis
11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
The ITF would never muster the courage or the balls to ban Williams. She's the bread and butter for the WTA, or atleast until Henin returns.

Even after Henin returns, Serena will be "the bread and butter" of the WTA, quite literally.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
LOL. I cant figure out if this is a sarcastic or serious post. :D I hope it was sarcasm.

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/catalog/images/tennis_ball.jpg

This may look innocent to you, but in the wrong hands, it is a tool of murder. Serena Williams is the wrong hands. I have no doubt had that match continued, we would have another tragic death-by-tennis ball accident on our hands as we speak. What is the minimum sentence for attempted murder? How did Serena avoid this?

TheChosenOne
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
80 some grand? Oh what a punishment:( Freakin pocket change to that nutjob.

martini1
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Serena should be so happy that the line lady did not sue for an assault or something more serious. The whole episode took so long may be because they were negotiating with her not to sue. It would make the WTA forced to suspend her until the lawsuit is settled and they could be quite a few slams there.

I still feel strongly how she abuses her star power to bully people. The WTA is just too chicken to ban their top player and risk the loss on ticket/TV rights sales on their end. Shameful days for women's tennis.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Serena should be so happy that the line lady did not sue for an assault or something more serious. The whole episode took so long may be because they were negotiating with her not to sue. It would make the WTA forced to suspend her until the lawsuit is settled and they could be quite a few slams there.

I still feel strongly how she abuses her star power to bully people. The WTA is just too chicken to ban their top player and risk the loss on ticket/TV rights sales on their end. Shameful days for women's tennis.

Assault with a deadly weapon would have been the appropriate charge. Words hurt, you know? And Serena's harsh words and death threats could have easily caused that lineswoman to have a stroke or heart attack. NYPD should be ashamed for ignoring this obvious case of assault and attempted murder.

federer_FREAK
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Assault with a deadly weapon would have been the appropriate charge. Words hurt, you know? And Serena's harsh words and death threats could have easily caused that lineswoman to have a stroke or heart attack. NYPD should be ashamed for ignoring this obvious case of assault and attempted murder.

Threat =/= attempted murder

G-12
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM

That is completely ridiculous. There is no way she deserves that, no matter what anyone has to say. What happened to the days when McEnroe and other fellow players acted 10x as more energetic on the courts? This fine is definately not proving a point.

G-12
11-30-2009, 07:38 PM

That line lady needed her two minutes of fame on TV. In the history of watching matches, I have never seen such a poor act on behalf of a linesperson in regard to any player.

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
If serena was not black she would not be getting all these harsh fines and suspensions.

Mick
11-30-2009, 07:55 PM
80 some grand? Oh what a punishment:( Freakin pocket change to that nutjob.

for an average person that is a lot of money but for serena, that is less than a week's pay.

G-12
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
for an average person that is a lot of money but for serena, that is less than a week's pay.

It seems as if the problem with the fine is not the amount of money she has to pay, but why she got the fine in the first place.

Rabbit
11-30-2009, 08:07 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% in agreement. Williams should have been banned. A 3-year probabtion? Let's see, she's 28 now...that should cover her until 31 which is probably a year past retirement. So basically, she has to pull chump change out of her pocket and gets a slap on the wrist with a "be a good girl and don't do it again" from the governing body of the Majors.

What a joke. Professional tennis officiating is a joke. Rather than ban what they consider a top draw to tournaments, they give her a hall pass for 3 years or until she retires. Hell, I'll bet they provide the umpires Valium to give her...it'll be like a fire alarm, "Break Glass in Case of Foot Fault" there will be two Valiums behind the glass. Either that or they should keep a supply of Big Macs in the chair to pacify her. Geeze....unbelievable.

really? What kind of mistake was it an irregular human mistake? The line judge saw a foot fault and called it end of story. Williams even said she'd been called all tournament long for foot faults. Let it go. The call was correct.

Serena is a boiling cauldron of anger, hostility, competitiveness, and sexuality.

Oh my God....I may never eat again.....

You cannot be serious.....

please let me fix your post for you:

Serena is a boil on the *** of tennis. She is angry and hostile when things don't go her way. Serena's competitiveness is fueled by Taco Bell, Burger King, and Popeye's Chicken in large quantities. Serena's sexuality is still to be determined. Some think she's a shim.

Part of it is her nature, part is fueled by reactions to her. There was probably not even a male tennis player with so much anger, except Johnny Mac

Yeah, Serena Williams is just like John McEnroe

ebrainsoft
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I guess they can transfer the $82k from Serena to Kantarian
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AtZvnJq9HfJDWiCEc4zkOHc4v7YF?slug=ap-usopen-kantariancompensation&prov=ap&type=lgns

Tennis is in bad shape.:sad:

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-30-2009, 08:17 PM
What did that black lady say? She's in BIG trouble.

While mcenroe-connors could say anything they wanted and people just laugh.

Mcenroe yells at people in the crowd and cusses at them, but that's ok and nobody hears a word of it.

rommil
11-30-2009, 08:18 PM
That line lady needed her two minutes of fame on TV. In the history of watching matches, I have never seen such a poor act on behalf of a linesperson in regard to any player.

Fail. If she wanted such attention, the linesperson would have been in every talkshow/tabloid/billboard after the incident. Yet we have never heard from or about her after. I think Serena swallowed her and her whole family alive.

rommil
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
If serena was not black she would not be getting all these harsh fines and suspensions.

Black or not, Serena acted in a despicable manner. My biggest regret was watching the incident discussed over an over on TV and seeing Serena's gigantic *** displayed repeatedly. Now that was the real travesty!

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% in agreement. Williams should have been banned.

You obviously don't like serena. If it was mcenroe, connors, or anybody that 'you' like you would never say such a thing. If mceroe said the same thing serena said to a umpire would you say he should be banned? Heck no. Just calling it like i see it.

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Black or not, Serena acted in a despicable manner!

True, but that footfault call was a BS call at that point in the match. No need to rehash that. I don't even really like serena, but it's easy to see how much people here don't like her saying she should be banned etc. Be it that they are racist, hate big buts, and her kentucky fried chicken habits.

TennisNinja
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Mcenroe yells at people in the crowd and cusses at them, but that's ok and nobody hears a word of it.

They didn't threaten to kill anyone.

rommil
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
True, but that footfault call was a BS call at that point in the match. No need to rehash that. I don't even really like serena, but it's easy to see how much people here don't like her saying she should be banned etc. Be it that they are racist, hate big buts, and her kentucky fried chicken habits.

The call was a call and if I remember correctly when Serena got mad, she didn't question the call, she was just mad about the call. Unfortunately, there is a rule against footfaulting. Quit it with that racist bs. Serena gets the reception that she does because of how she acts. I don't think people would be as bad if it were Venus. Then again, Venus probably wouldn't do such thing.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Serena didn't either.

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM

Yup, serena was going to commit murder with her vulgar claim :roll: What a joke.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Yup, serena was going to commit murder with her vulgar claim :roll: What a joke.

No tennis balls are deadly weapons now. ;)

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Quit it with that racist bs. Serena gets the reception that she does because of how she acts.

Racist, how she act's, just not liking her, is not enough reason to be banned for saying whatever she said regardless. It's not like she is known to blow up like Mcenroe who people still love even though he is a azz who can only yell at umpires and people in a crowd.

G-12
11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% in agreement. Williams should have been banned. A 3-year probabtion? Let's see, she's 28 now...that should cover her until 31 which is probably a year past retirement. So basically, she has to pull chump change out of her pocket and gets a slap on the wrist with a "be a good girl and don't do it again" from the governing body of the Majors.

What a joke. Professional tennis officiating is a joke. Rather than ban what they consider a top draw to tournaments, they give her a hall pass for 3 years or until she retires. Hell, I'll bet they provide the umpires Valium to give her...it'll be like a fire alarm, "Break Glass in Case of Foot Fault" there will be two Valiums behind the glass. Either that or they should keep a supply of Big Macs in the chair to pacify her. Geeze....unbelievable.

really? What kind of mistake was it an irregular human mistake? The line judge saw a foot fault and called it end of story. Williams even said she'd been called all tournament long for foot faults. Let it go. The call was correct.

Oh my God....I may never eat again.....

You cannot be serious.....

please let me fix your post for you:

Yeah, Serena Williams is just like John McEnroe

Are you joking?
Banned?
If you think she should have been banned for what she did, could you please explain to me, as one of the other posters also asked, what would happen to Conners, McEnroe, Nastase, Safin and all of the other players who throw emotional tantrums on the courts?

Did you happen to see the video of Safin throwing his racquet at his bench during the changeover and having the racquet literally crack in half upon impact? Sounds pretty dangerous to me. If they are going to impose any penalty on Serena, why not have the penalty for everybody else?

ebrainsoft
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
If I went to work and threatened to shove a tennis ball down my co-worker's throat, I'm pretty sure I would get suspended and possibly fired.

Serena (as well as all tennis pros) should be treated like the rest of the world. The tennis court is their office and the lines people are their co-workers.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 09:22 PM
If I went to work and threatened to shove a tennis ball down my co-worker's throat, I'm pretty sure I would get suspended and possibly fired.

Serena (as well as all tennis pros) should be treated like the rest of the world. The tennis court is their office and the lines people are their co-workers.

By your logic, if you cursed at your boss, you would be suspended or fired. Does that mean Federer should have been suspended for cursing at the chair at the USO? Or all the people who argue with the ump, should they be suspended? Surely you would be suspended if you argued with your boss. That's your logic right?

rommil
11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
By your logic, if you cursed at your boss, you would be suspended or fired. Does that mean Federer should have been suspended for cursing at the chair at the USO? Or all the people who argue with the ump, should they be suspended? Surely you would be suspended if you argued with your boss. That's your logic right?

He said "threatened" not "cursed" and also different analogy.

rommil
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Racist, how she act's, just not liking her, is not enough reason to be banned for saying whatever she said regardless. It's not like she is known to blow up like Mcenroe who people still love even though he is a azz who can only yell at umpires and people in a crowd.

I don't know why we keep going back to McEnroe and I am not familiar with the guidelines then and now. Obviously, what Serena did is not a common occurence but it doesn't take away the gravity of what she did. We will all have opinions on what should have been imposed on her. Personally, I think she should have been disqualified from playing her dubs finals but of course, that's money lost for USTA.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 09:36 PM
He said "threatened" not "cursed" and also different analogy.

I'm just saying that if all things unacceptable in real life were unacceptable on the tennis court, then players would get defaulted for cursing at chair umpires.

McBrat
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Serena didn't either.LOL, yes. It would have been completely up to the lineswoman to keep breathing and making line calls with a ball shoved down her ******* throat.:rolleyes:

Anyway, regarding the punishment, I think deducting ranking points would have been more effective. The goal should be to ensure players don't behave in this manner at all rather than do it just once, which is where a suspended sentence fails.

The (long) 3-year suspended sentence means this incident will be dragged on much longer than it needs to. And considering the controversial nature of this incident, it will be brought up quite a bit by the media and in tournaments by commentators, not to mention "fans" displaying banners. This tends to affect the game almost as much as Williams herself. I don't think suspended sentences really address anything and I don't think it will sit well with people on either side of the debate once they see the results.

jamesblakefan#1
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
LOL, yes. It would have been completely up to the lineswoman to keep breathing and making line calls with a ball shoved down her ******* throat.:rolleyes:

Yes because there's so many tennis ball choking related deaths world wide. There's so many instances of someone dying via tennis ball asphyxiation. Gimme a break.

I can't believe people on here don't like Serena that much to actually believe Serena would shove a tennis ball down someone's throat. It's a figure of speech. Should all people who've ever told someone "I just want to rip your head off" actually be investgated for decapitation? Exactly.

Dreamcastin
11-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes because there's so many tennis ball choking related deaths world wide. There's so many instances of someone dying via tennis ball asphyxiation. Gimme a break.

I can't believe people on here don't like Serena that much to actually believe Serena would shove a tennis ball down someone's throat. It's a figure of speech. Should all people who've ever told someone "I just want to rip your head off" actually be investgated for decapitation? Exactly.

dont bring logic in here.

JoshDragon
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM

JBF#1: While Serena probably wouldn't have physically done anything to the lineswoman, it's still important to realize that she was waaaaaaaaay out of control. She was borderline out of control through out the whole match, that incident at the end just clinched her DQ.

JoshDragon
11-30-2009, 10:43 PM

If you are going to bring up racism then please don't bother posting here. This thread is about Serena's fine, and your comments about racism are not appreciated.

As for the foot fault, it wasn't BS. I went back and watched it like 10 times, it's close but if you watch very carefully you can tell that she stepped over the line just before she made contact with the ball.

edmondsm
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Not if it is proportional to the players winnings...

Is that how they came up with the number? Didn't realize that. Well, I guess it's BS then. Oh well.

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 10:59 PM

I don't get the mentality of that... "at that time of the match", we play by a set of rules I didn't realize that these change during the course of a match. What if it was you were on the other side of the net, would you let your opponent break the rules and deprive you of two match points to the finals of the USO?

Why don't we just let her serve from her service line... where would you like to draw the line...???

Are you joking?
Banned?
If you think she should have been banned for what she did, could you please explain to me, as one of the other posters also asked, what would happen to Conners, McEnroe, Nastase, Safin and all of the other players who throw emotional tantrums on the courts?

Did you happen to see the video of Safin throwing his racquet at his bench during the changeover and having the racquet literally crack in half upon impact? Sounds pretty dangerous to me. If they are going to impose any penalty on Serena, why not have the penalty for everybody else?

Connors and McEnroe never tried to physically intimidate a lines person or threaten their life, I would rather take on Connors and McEnroe in a dark alley opposed to being between Serena and a donut. And I believe Serena got a racket abuse warning earlier in the match for smashing a racket on the court til it was in little pieces. The footfault debacle was her second violation that defaulted her... so it was not like she was not warned.

As mentioned earlier if it was any player outside the top 3 it would probably been a suspension. And to summarize... no player is bigger than the game... I wish the WTA would realized that... and the fact that there would be support for her suspension.

Gee... no Serena... we have Kim, Justine, Venus, Maria and a boatload of other good stories waiting to be cultivated.

edmondsm
11-30-2009, 11:06 PM

Actually, didn't McEnroe get defaulted from the Aussie Open for cussing at the ref?

THUNDERVOLLEY
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
And to summarize... no player is bigger than the game... I wish the WTA would realized that...

Tennis is also a business, and no sound business is going to get rid of one who only had a single minor outburst (allegedly worth this fine) amongst a continuing, great career that has only helped the sport.

and the fact that there would be support for her suspension.

Where? There is no widespread call for her suspension, as most realize that incident was nothing to get one's panties up in a bunch over. It is a closed matter as it should be.

McBrat
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes because there's so many tennis ball choking related deaths world wide. There's so many instances of someone dying via tennis ball asphyxiation. Gimme a break.No, I don't think she would do it. Not just in this instance, but ever. I'm just saying that if she did go ahead with it...

Measures should be in place to discourage players from such behaviour, especially the ones that can be taken out of context. The game is more global and watched by a broader demographic. Not everyone understands then intent behind such words and the mindset of players when they say something like this.

Obviously, many knowledgeable people don't think she would have acted on the actual threats she made (or the suspension would be harsher) but you can't say that she couldn't have been *thinking* of physical violence at that particular moment.

Players who say this during a tennis match should be investigated (not necessarily suspended) for intent to cause physical harm. In full context, of course.

OrangeOne
11-30-2009, 11:21 PM
single minor outburst

Yeah. That's what it was. :confused:

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Tennis is also a business, and no sound business is going to get rid of one who only had a single minor outburst (allegedly worth this fine) amongst a continuing, great career that has only helped the sport.

Absolutely and that is why it took this long to address. And sure she is a GOAT... and the game of tennis would never have survived this decade without her... sorry Justine, Maria, Kim, Lindsey, and sister Venus... and a myriad of others...

Where? There is no widespread call for her suspension, as most realize that incident was nothing to get one's panties up in a bunch over. It is a closed matter as it should be.

I like to think that any general forum is a sampling of the community and it is pretty clear on this thread that Serena's actions are not exceptable behaviour and the general consensus is that a suspension would have been in order.

Ripper014
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Players who say this during a tennis match should be investigated (not necessarily suspended) for intent to cause physical harm. In full context, of course.

Her intent was to intimidate the lineswoman who I do not believe is being paid for her services... by someone (Serena) 3 times her size and 5 times her weight; waving a large stick (racket) and threatening her with a fuzzy yellow throat lozenge (tennis ball), and then has the nerve to deny doing it on national tv. The lines person is there to do a job to the best of her ability... and Serena is there to play tennis not argue with a linesperson... if she has an issue with the call... take it up with the Umpire they are paid to deal with egomaniacal personalities...

BLX
12-01-2009, 01:40 AM

I totally agree with you! The ITF are very inconsistent with the disciplinary actions they take regarding verbal abuse.

ANOTHER example of ITF giving preferential treatment to a tennis pro who verbally abused a chair umpire. Obviously this tennis player has the benefit of the doubt from the ITF , I wonder why that is..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=ff6_UTPDO9s&FMT=18

Blinkism
12-01-2009, 02:15 AM

The point isn't what she said, but if the linesperson was genuinely in fear for her own safety.

She shouldn't have to fear for her own safety on the job. It's not in her job description to take ***** from tennis players, especially ones who are almost twice her size wielding something that could be used as a weapon.

It really doesn't matter what Serena intended, she has to take responsibility for her actions which can harm someone emotionally and/or psychologically- even if she didn't actually mean any harm.

If she said "you're the worst linesperson ever", that'd be a different story. That's just empty criticism.

Simply saying the words that she did say, tough, to someone in a different context would bring about a different result. If I say it to my buddy jokingly on a tennis court, there is a level of understanding between us, as friends, that the tone of my voice and the situation surrounding what I said gives no indication that I was serious at all.

However, there was no level of understanding between Serena and the linesperson that Serena was not serious about what she said.

All the linesperson knew is that here's a very angry and very large woman threatening me with something she is holding in her hand. In the other hand, she has a perfect tool to use to project that certain something at me at speeds that have been clocked, previously, going over 100 miles per hour.

Yeah, she was probably scared *****less.

That's enough. Serena's intent is irrelevant at that point. The threat was perceived as real, and the threat was made. These things are fact.

Serena should be punished for these wrongdoings.

If the ITF sincerely thinks fining her $175,000 is enough, then I am supremely disappointed with their decision.

5th Element
12-01-2009, 02:41 AM
I'm sure she'll misbehave again in 2012 before retiring just to prove how ridiculous the 'suspended sentence' is.

THUNDERVOLLEY
12-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Absolutely and that is why it took this long to address. And sure she is a GOAT... and the game of tennis would never have survived this decade without her... sorry Justine, Maria, Kim, Lindsey, and sister Venus... and a myriad of others...

Sarcasm fails you, and BTW, of the names you mentioned, yes, she is superior to each, including her sister (in overall success). Serena's status and popularity has helped the sport in ways the limp ad campaign called Sharapova, and Cljisters and Henin (who have not served as a magnet for the potential fans) could not. Deny it if you want, but the intent behind your sarcasm is about as false as any idea could be.

I like to think that any general forum is a sampling of the community and it is pretty clear on this thread that Serena's actions are not exceptable behaviour and the general consensus is that a suspension would have been in order.

A handfull of TT members do not--in any way--represent the opinion of the world community no matter the subject, otherwise SW would never have been the popular player she is (hence no suspension of a player in her league), her finals ratings would not eclipse all others (where a Williams was not present), etc.

TT is home to many a bitter person electing to live in the fantasyland of their mind, such as those who champion players like Djokovic and Murray, while in the same breath, blasting everything about Federer, as though the latter was simply gifted his slam record. The same applies to SW when minor blips on the current tennis landscape (and likely, to history) are celebrated while at the same time, the same people point out the otherwise meaningless minutiae of SW's life, trying to elevate it into some negative and a reason for them to wish she fades away.

adlis
12-01-2009, 04:00 AM

Del pony was inspired by your comment.

ballgate williams vs small asian woman
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06DaemubX93f9/610x.jpg
http://www.playkon.com/uploads/2008/02/No-U.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0d5B94u1yR43Q/910x.jpg

pound cat
12-01-2009, 04:35 AM

Not quite,

The world number one will incur the ban if she commits any further "major offence" before the end of 2011

I'm sure she is clever enough to keep her mouth shut.

pound cat
12-01-2009, 04:38 AM
I totally agree with you! The ITF are very inconsistent with the disciplinary actions they take regarding verbal abuse.

ANOTHER example of ITF giving preferential treatment to a tennis pro who verbally abused a chair umpire. Obviously this tennis player has the benefit of the doubt from the ITF , I wonder why that is..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=ff6_UTPDO9s&FMT=18

Serena is a big ticket. The last thing ITF wants is to not have her not play the USO for 3 years.

Once again it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JankovicFan
12-01-2009, 04:46 AM
I think the fine and lack of more severe penalty tends to trivialize what Serena actually said to the lineswoman. The fine does address out of control behavior, making a scene, embarassing the association and other players, or not feeling accountable for the behavior, but it doesn't address what Serena actually said.

BLX
12-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Serena is a big ticket. The last thing ITF wants is to not have her not play the USO for 3 years.

Once again it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i was talking about roddick

marpiw
12-01-2009, 05:01 AM
I thought that she would be fined with an amount not less than half a million dollars.
Actually they are just taking the small change she always carries in her wallet...WHAT A CRUELTY TO TAKE ALL THE COINS FROM HER...HOW IS SHE GOING TO TAKE THE BUS BACK HOME?....

BLX
12-01-2009, 05:04 AM
I thought that she would be fined with an amount not less than half a million dollars.
Actually they are just taking the small change she always carries in her wallet...WHAT A CRUELTY TO TAKE ALL THE COINS FROM HER...HOW IS SHE GOING TO TAKE THE BUS BACK HOME?....

you mean back of the bus ?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0804/epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1208222805.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 05:07 AM
JBF#1: While Serena probably wouldn't have physically done anything to the lineswoman, it's still important to realize that she was waaaaaaaaay out of control. She was borderline out of control through out the whole match, that incident at the end just clinched her DQ.

I'm not disagreeing that what she did was out of line. I already said that stripping her USO prize money and pts would have been a fair punishment.

But IMO to ask that someone be banned for life, for a heat of the moment incident, is overdoing it. And to claim that what Serena said on the court should be taken as a death threat is even more overdoing it. I'm sure we've all gotten so upset about something or someone that we wished we could do physical harm to them. Would we actually do it? No. Serena's moment just happened to occur in front of millions of people.

Her intent was to intimidate the lineswoman who I do not believe is being paid for her services... by someone (Serena) 3 times her size and 5 times her weight; waving a large stick (racket) and threatening her with a fuzzy yellow throat lozenge (tennis ball), and then has the nerve to deny doing it on national tv. The lines person is there to do a job to the best of her ability... and Serena is there to play tennis not argue with a linesperson... if she has an issue with the call... take it up with the Umpire they are paid to deal with egomaniacal personalities...

Yes, because the tennis ball is an obvious tool of murder...:rolleyes:

PatrickB
12-01-2009, 05:08 AM
You obviously don't like serena. If it was mcenroe, connors, or anybody that 'you' like you would never say such a thing. If mceroe said the same thing serena said to a umpire would you say he should be banned? Heck no. Just calling it like i see it.

This just in, Macenroe was defaulted from the australian open due to swearing at the umpire, which under current rules would result in the loss of the *entire* prize purse along with *all* points from the event. Serena's punishment for her poor behavior was *less* than what she would have received if she had been defaulted *like Macenroe was*!

NamRanger
12-01-2009, 05:37 AM
I'm not disagreeing that what she did was out of line. I already said that stripping her USO prize money and pts would have been a fair punishment.

But IMO to ask that someone be banned for life, for a heat of the moment incident, is overdoing it. And to claim that what Serena said on the court should be taken as a death threat is even more overdoing it. I'm sure we've all gotten so upset about something or someone that we wished we could do physical harm to them. Would we actually do it? No. Serena's moment just happened to occur in front of millions of people.

The point is that a professional athlete should never lose their temper like that on a person doing their job, regardless or not if the call was right or wrong.

The point of also suspending Serena Williams is to make an example of her to show that no one is above the rules. This incident only further proves that the ITF is a bunch spineless fools who refuse to enforce anything ranging from time violations to doping regulations.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 05:53 AM
The point is that a professional athlete should never lose their temper like that on a person doing their job, regardless or not if the call was right or wrong.

The point of also suspending Serena Williams is to make an example of her to show that no one is above the rules. This incident only further proves that the ITF is a bunch spineless fools who refuse to enforce anything ranging from time violations to doping regulations.

So Serena should be punished more harshly b/c of who she is? Believe me if she was some 70th ranked player, this wouldn't be half the story it is.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Yes, shes a disgrace.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 06:18 AM
serena should have been immediately suspended after the incident, and the following week, banned for a minimum of 2 years.

malakas
12-01-2009, 06:31 AM
So Serena should be punished more harshly b/c of who she is? Believe me if she was some 70th ranked player, this wouldn't be half the story it is.

there would be half the news reports on this,and twice harder the punishment.

Rabbit
12-01-2009, 06:45 AM

You have then not read any of my posts. I have called in the past for McEnroe to be thrown off the seniors tour. All that said, yelling you're a bum and threatening to kill someone are two entirely different levels of discussion.

Please do be presumptuous on what I would or would not do. In the 40 years I've watched tennis, I've never heard McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, or Nastase make a physically threatening comment to an official or a fan. They have make smart-assed remarks, they've commented on the lineage and their intelligence, but not once have any of them threatened to kill someone.

I was in full support of Agassi's default at the Sybase a few years ago for repeated and offensive remarks to a linesman. However, those remarks did not threaten the physical safety of the linesman as Williams did.

Do you see the difference? Liking or not has nothing to do with this. Williams went way past where any other pro has ever gone. All that said, her "penalty" is less than what Tarango had to endure and he didn't threaten Rubeau, he challenged Rubeau's integrity in public.

Are you joking?
Banned?

Banned from at least one major, yes. McEnroe has been banned. As I mentioned above, none of those listed pros ever approached the level that Williams did. For this, the penalty should be appropriate and simply telling her to behave is not sufficient.

I couldn't agree more. It appears that if you make enough money for the WTA or ATP, then the rules don't apply. You can take an illegal or performance enhancing drug, jot a note down on a legal pad, send it in and get a hall pass or you can threaten the life of a linesperson in full view of 20,000 people on national TV and just be told to not let it happen again and pull whatever money is in your purse to mimic a "fine". It is a disgrace.

For those who think this is out of line or "hating" on Williams, justify the severity of what she did and her penalty to what Tarango did....he was banned from competing in a future major, not probation.....this is shameless.

serena should have been immediately suspended after the incident, and the following week, banned for a minimum of 2 years.

I agree although I would have accepted 1 year. The powers that be sent a message, the message they sent and continue to send is that if you are a big enough draw in our circus, then we'll let you do or take whatever you want to.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 06:52 AM

No trust me it wouldn't. Just look at some of the stuff Koellerer does on court, and he gets no grief.

malakas
12-01-2009, 07:12 AM
No trust me it wouldn't. Just look at some of the stuff Koellerer does on court, and he gets no grief.

No grief??He was banned for 6 months for all ATP events!No probation bs.
I guess they felt he didn't need any warnings

ebrainsoft
12-01-2009, 07:15 AM

I think there is a big difference between cursing in frustration and threatening to shove a ball down someone's throat.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:19 AM
No grief??He was banned for 6 months for all ATP events!No probation bs.
I guess they felt he didn't need any warnings

He had plenty of warnings, and even then wasn't suspended from the slams.

icedevil0289
12-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I wonder what cuddles26 or whatever her name is has to say about this.

3 years does seem a bit harsh though.

federer_FREAK
12-01-2009, 07:24 AM

Why shouldn't professional athletes lose their tempers? Are professional athletes some perfect gifts from God that were place on Earth to be perfect role models for all of mankind?

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Why shouldn't professional athletes lose their tempers? Are professional athletes some perfect gifts from God that were place on Earth to be perfect role models for all of mankind?

Yeah I think Charles Barkley said it best - "I am not a role model" Most professional athletes don't profess to be role models or perfect beings. All humans make mistakes, certainly Serena for all the good she's done deserves the opportunity at a second chance.

malakas
12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
He had plenty of warnings, and even then wasn't suspended from the slams.

yes because unfortunately the whole of tennis isn't controlled by a single body.There's the ITF which controls the Slams and the ATP which controls the rest.

What Dani did was in ATP so the ATP punished him they couldn't ban him from any Slam because they don't jurectition(how's that spelled anyway!??!lol)

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:38 AM
yes because unfortunately the whole of tennis isn't controlled by a single body.There's the ITF which controls the Slams and the ATP which controls the rest.

What Dani did was in ATP so the ATP punished him they couldn't ban him from any Slam because they don't jurectition(how's that spelled anyway!??!lol)

My point is, you hardly even hear about Koellerer, or see any outrage about what he does on court. He does it habitually, yet Serena has one bad incident in her career, and we should banish her?

malakas
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
My point is, you hardly even hear about Koellerer, or see any outrage about what he does on court. He does it habitually, yet Serena has one bad incident in her career, and we should banish her?

of course you don't because he doesn't act up like that in the US Open semifinal in front of all these people and in international live television coverage!Otherwise you can bet he would be banned from all slams for 2 years the very next day.

Serena is famous that's why it's reported so much in the news.Serena is famous that's why the punishment is much lighter.2 sides of the coin.

THUNDERVOLLEY
12-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Yes..to some, i'm sure they will claim in the annals of world crime, tennis balls have been responsible for thousands of murders, accidental/lethal tennis ball hits in the home, the ball firing off by accident to kill a passerby.....

The TT fantasy advocates should call for the ban of the ball.

TonLars
duplicate post

Ripper014
Sarcasm fails you, and BTW, of the names you mentioned, yes, she is superior to each, including her sister (in overall success). Serena's status and popularity has helped the sport in ways the limp ad campaign called Sharapova, and Cljisters and Henin (who have not served as a magnet for the potential fans) could not. Deny it if you want, but the intent behind your sarcasm is about as false as any idea could be.

Serena is in no way a GOAT... she has failed to perform consistantly over a decade of play... yes she has won majors... but has failed to be a consistant winner over a whole season (my definition of a GOAT). She can win a large share of the big ones over rather weak field... but she cannot maintain her level of play over the whole year. Graf did it... Navratilova did it.... Evert did it... Court did it... I could not put her in the same class of player.

I personally am not a fan of Serena... she is an egoistic... (if you need help look it up)... we could argue most are... but by far she is at the far end of that scale. I would argue... Sharapova is the most popular and best advertised of any tennis player in the last decade male or female. Cljisters, Davenport and Henin are more private individuals that are here to just play tennis. And if Serena never played professional tennis... we would have moved along just fine...

A handfull of TT members do not--in any way--represent the opinion of the world community no matter the subject, otherwise SW would never have been the popular player she is (hence no suspension of a player in her league), her finals ratings would not eclipse all others (where a Williams was not present), etc.

We are all entitled to our opinions... and mine is no more important than that of anyone elses... and those of this forum may be a more educated one than the average fan. I don't believe she is nearly as popular as you like to believe, she may be well known... I have no idea what her ratings have to do with this discussion... and I would argue her popularity in the US partially due to national pride... who else do you have to cheer for?

TT is home to many a bitter person electing to live in the fantasyland of their mind, such as those who champion players like Djokovic and Murray, while in the same breath, blasting everything about Federer, as though the latter was simply gifted his slam record. The same applies to SW when minor blips on the current tennis landscape (and likely, to history) are celebrated while at the same time, the same people point out the otherwise meaningless minutiae of SW's life, trying to elevate it into some negative and a reason for them to wish she fades away.

I assume you are speaking personally, because I do not feel like a bitter person living in Never Never Land... and Federer is my current favorite player... someone I consider a bit of a throw back to when I started playing tennis. Someone with an all-court game and 1HBH, someone I can relate to.

Serena is a totally different story she egomaniacal to the nth degree... she brings attention to herself... because it would kill her not to be the center of everyones world... Guess what I don't care... Have you ever heard of the axiom "you earn what you reap", any thing negative directed at Serena is more than deserving. It is too bad the punishment did not fit the crime... and don't kid yourself this was a crime... the only place you could get away with it would be in the middle of a sporting event. If you saw this on the street you would probably be taken away in a car with a cherry on top.

TonLars
12-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Im a 'troll'

Ahhh I see now

BLX = adlis

The troll has at least two accounts now, that sounds like grounds for IP banning to me

Chadwixx
12-01-2009, 07:54 AM
When will you guys learn, much like oj, serena can do no wrong in the eye's of her "fans".

Your peeing against the wind arguing with these racially bias fans.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM
When will you guys learn, much like oj, serena can do no wrong in the eye's of her "fans".

Your peeing against the wind arguing with these racially bias fans.

Yes, because yelling at a lineswoman is the same as being accused of murder.

What an ignorant comment.

LDVTennis
12-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Black or not, Serena acted in a despicable manner. My biggest regret was watching the incident discussed over an over on TV and seeing Serena's gigantic *** displayed repeatedly. Now that was the real travesty!

Apparently, you weren't the only one who found her *** and everything else about her that night objectionable.

See this: http://www.cnbc.com/id/33003120.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
BTW I already said that a total strip of her prize money and points would have been fine. I think punishing further for one heat of the moment incident would have been overdoing it. But apparently not wanting Serena banned for life makes you racially biased.

Chadwixx
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Attempted murder :)

Btw, people refer to the weapon as the racket serena was shaking in the lineswomans face, not the tennis ball. Not sure if your previous posts about the tennis ball were serious or not.

malakas
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Hey guys, have you seen this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1232252/Serena-Williams-laughs-swimsuit-malfunction--fined-50-000-outburst.html

LOL.

LOL!!Why does she wear something like this in the first place??!:rolleyes:That was normal to happen sooner or later!

malakas
12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
BTW I already said that a total strip of her prize money and points would have been fine. I think punishing further for one heat of the moment incident would have been overdoing it. But apparently not wanting Serena banned for life makes you racially biased.

Bannishment for life sure is overdoing it.But also just taking away some money and points is very little.There's everywhere a happy medium.Like a banishment from the next slam along with a heavy fine.

Ripper014
12-01-2009, 08:12 AM

I see you are willing being reasonable in at least seeing she needs to be punished for her outbreak... but punishment needs to be penal to offender (in this case Serena). Losing points and money will not do that for any of the top players...

According to Forbes she earned 17 million in 2009, so at $85,000 it is like 0.5% of her earnings for this year. And the more money you have... the less significant that .5% is....

Serena has plenty of money and the points are meaningless to her. What is important to her is major titles... and for this outburst which I consider severe... I would have solicated for a ban of 4 majors... she could still make a living playing the regular circuit... she just would not be allowed to play a major again until the USO 2011, the tournament where the incident happened.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Yes, because yelling at a lineswoman is the same as being accused of murder.

What an ignorant comment.

she threatened her with physical violence, while towering above her, and waving her racquet at her. She also used vulgar language.

What you don't seem to comprhend is, Serena being who she is, and in that "arena" is already in a position of power. Couple that with her act, and she needs to be banned.

sureshs
12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
LOL!!Why does she wear something like this in the first place??!:rolleyes:That was normal to happen sooner or later!

I like what I see

Chadwixx
12-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I like what I see

Its a great picture if your going on a diet. I know i threw up a little in my mouth just now and probably not going to have a big lunch.

SteveI
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
she threatened her with physical violence, while towering above her, and waving her racquet at her. She also used vulgar language.

What you don't seem to comprhend is, Serena being who she is, and in that "arena" is already in a position of power. Couple that with her act, and she needs to be banned.

She also, ealier in the match broke a racket (distroyed) with one swing. She was on edge the entire match as Kim as taking it to her. If you go back and look at the tape. The lines person went to the chair the 1st time to report Williams action. The 2nd time she was running for protection from the chair and officals. I think if I was in her place, I would have done the same. She was out of control and seemed dangerous to many. The fine and suspended ban is not in line with her actions. It is clear she is being given a pass because of what she means to the WTA, ITF and USTA in terms of earning power. If it was much lower ranked and less important figure.. the book would have been thrown at that player. It also seems clear that many of the members of TT do not support this tooth-less action by the ITF, WTA and USTA. Even if you are a fan of S. Williams, you have to know what she did was way out of line and should have been addressed in a much more harsh way. I am out.

JoshDragon
12-01-2009, 09:04 AM

JBF#1: It wasn't a heat of the moment incident. I've heard some people say that it was and it couldn't be farther from the truth. Serena's anger was building up during that whole match.

Please note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMJW2Wmcew&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ya3mfwm4a4

Does that look like sportsman like conduct to you? If you watch the last few minutes of the match, you'll notice that her screaming gets louder and louder, signaling that she's getting more and more out of control.

Like I said before her outburst at 15-30 wasn't just a heat of the moment incident. She was building up to that point since the moment she lost the first set.

Here is her post match interview. She basically tries to ignore her reaction as much as she can because she knew that she was wrong but didn't want to admit it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHd_Oj3yqSM&feature=related

malakas
12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I like what I see

Of course you do you Serena-lover!!!!http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/hug.gif

THUNDERVOLLEY
12-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Serena is in no way a GOAT

No one said she was the GOAT, but of the names you mentioned, she is far and away the superior player, and the record proves it. Like it or not.

I personally am not a fan of Serena... she is an egoistic... (if you need help look it up).

^ This from one suffering from abounding grammatical errors. Amusing.

Sharapova is the most popular and best advertised of any tennis player in the last decade male or female

Funny--Sharapova's USO final ratings are far below that of finals with Serena (or Venus) as participants. As heavily advertised the Gangly One is in the U.S., it did not help her, hence the claim she's most popular does not match her ratings performance.

Cljisters, Davenport and Henin are more private individuals that are here to just play tennis. And if Serena never played professional tennis... we would have moved along just fine...

What a historically-challenged post. Without SW (and her sister), modern tennis for women would be damn near dead and buried, as few only cared about the players you cite if they were playing one of the Williams sisters. See USO ratings over the past decade for finals sans a Williams for an example of audience disinterest.

and I would argue her popularity in the US partially due to national pride... who else do you have to cheer for?

You are not obligated to cheer for the home player. It is a choice.

I assume you are speaking personally, because I do not feel like a bitter person living in Never Never Land.

If you were able to comprehend the original post, your quote would not exist.

It is too bad the punishment did not fit the crime... and don't kid yourself this was a crime... the only place you could get away with it would be in the middle of a sporting event. If you saw this on the street you would probably be taken away in a car with a cherry on top.

Quite bitter.

LafayetteHitter
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Wow while reading this thread it becomes quite obvious that the Williams fans are just as racist as the people they accuse of racism.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I see you are willing being reasonable in at least seeing she needs to be punished for her outbreak... but punishment needs to be penal to offender (in this case Serena). Losing points and money will not do that for any of the top players...

According to Forbes she earned 17 million in 2009, so at $85,000 it is like 0.5% of her earnings for this year. And the more money you have... the less significant that .5% is....

Serena has plenty of money and the points are meaningless to her. What is important to her is major titles... and for this outburst which I consider severe... I would have solicated for a ban of 4 majors... she could still make a living playing the regular circuit... she just would not be allowed to play a major again until the USO 2011, the tournament where the incident happened.

In Serena's case the points would've possible cost her the YE #1 rank.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. It's obviously something that there's two distinct opinions about. Again I'm not saying that she did nothing wrong or shouldn't have been punished, just that suspending her from future slams would've been too harsh. I can even see possibly a one slam penalty being reasonable. But anything past that, like a full year of slams, would've been too much IMO.

Wow while reading this thread it becomes quite obvious that the Williams fans are just as racist as the people they accuse of racism.

Hopefully you weren't referring to me in this post. If you were I think you need to reassess your opinion.

sureshs
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Of course you do you Serena-lover!!!!http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/hug.gif

But I don't want her to love me. I would be squished.

pound cat
12-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Entertaining and right on article from the Telegraph (UK)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/williamssisters/6701977/Serena-Williamss-suspended-US-Open-ban-brings-tennis-into-disrepute.html

LafayetteHitter
12-01-2009, 01:41 PM
When I read the title I thought maybe she was being fined for wiping out the meatloaf tray at her local buffet.

OrangeOne
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM

QFt - entirely correct....

federer_FREAK
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM

None of that has anything to do with murder or attempted murder.

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Should have been more. That was totally not cool

imalil2gangsta4u
12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Finally this is over.

Chadwixx
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Finally this is over.

It aint over til serena sings :)

se0what
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
what i dont get is that this final verdict came so late after the tirade... maybe a week max but i think thats just unfair of them to give it this late
not saying that sarena did any good but its unfair (for one thing you see nfl commish sendin out fines in less than a heart beat)

Cantankersore
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Man, for once I agree with Bodo's opinion (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4700479&name=bodo_peter). If Serena keeps up her usual pretty good behaviour, no more punishment should be needed, which should please her fans. If something like this pops up again, she'll get a ban that will be a pretty big deal for her ranking and winnings, which will be deserved because it will be a repeat offense.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
12-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Man, for once I agree with Bodo's opinion (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4700479&name=bodo_peter). If Serena keeps up her usual pretty good behaviour, no more punishment should be needed, which should please her fans. If something like this pops up again, she'll get a ban that will be a pretty big deal for her ranking and winnings, which will be deserved because it will be a repeat offense.

i don't understand all this "ban now" nonsense....It's the USTA that should make.the primary decision as it's their tourny...if they want to ban her for anything,
surely it should be the next US open 2010 or perhaps to be really
sadistic the US open series 2010. Why should fall tourny's in europe
or serena suffer later when they have nothing to do with usta or the incident.

Johhny mac played two tourny's in Italy(one in milan) a couple weeks after
being banned from 90 Ao open...regarded as a major transgression at the time.

Ripper014
12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
No one said she was the GOAT, but of the names you mentioned, she is far and away the superior player, and the record proves it. Like it or not.

This is debatable but I would choose Henin over Serena... based over the years they played each other. Henin stopped playing at the top of her game... granted it was her choice... but when she retired she was number one and dominated the womens circuit as much as anyone since 2000.

Funny--Sharapova's USO final ratings are far below that of finals with Serena (or Venus) as participants. As heavily advertised the Gangly One is in the U.S., it did not help her, hence the claim she's most popular does not match her ratings performance.

I was not talking about her ratings.. you claimed,

"Serena's status and popularity has helped the sport in ways the limp ad campaign called Sharapova, and Cljisters and Henin (who have not served as a magnet for the potential fans) could not."

I just wanted to clarify that Sharapova's popularity and appeal is far more than that of Serena.... total earnings... Serena 2009 roughly 14 million including endorsements... Sharapova roughly 24 million... given that Maria was injured most of 2009 that income would mostly be through endorsements. So to say she is not popular... I would disagree.

What a historically-challenged post. Without SW (and her sister), modern tennis for women would be damn near dead and buried, as few only cared about the players you cite if they were playing one of the Williams sisters. See USO ratings over the past decade for finals sans a Williams for an example of audience disinterest.

Nope you may not wish to watch anyone but the Williams sister but that is your choice... I would perfer to watch anyone over them... so who is right? If they were not american, there would be nowhere the same interest.

If you were able to comprehend the original post, your quote would not exist.
Quite bitter.

There you go again.. what would I have to be bitter about? Unlike you I have nothing invested in this thread... I offered an opinion... but it was important enough to you to attack me personally by stating I am Bitter. I have stated my point of view regarding the resolution of her conduct... and anything else you have to say is of no interest to me.... so have yourself a nice night.

malakas
12-01-2009, 07:58 PM
But I don't want her to love me. I would be squished.

...isn't that the point?..:confused:

I thought you were a masochist .. :-?

Tony48
12-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Has she really been banned from the U.S. Open? I can't find any American source that can verify this.

Blinkism
12-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Leave Serena ALONE!

If she was a short, balding, russian male this would never be happening!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/30/article-1232098-0667DD98000005DC-14_468x354.jpg

Outbeyond
12-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Leave Serena ALONE!

If she was a short, balding, russian male this would never be happening!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/30/article-1232098-0667DD98000005DC-14_468x354.jpg

Yeah!

You just GO, girl!!!!

THUNDERVOLLEY
12-02-2009, 05:41 AM
This is debatable

Numbers and effect do not lie. Henin is not in the same league with SW, and never will be even as she returns.

I just wanted to clarify that Sharapova's popularity and appeal is far more than that of Serena.... total earnings... Serena 2009 roughly 14 million including endorsements... Sharapova roughly 24 million... given that Maria was injured most of 2009 that income would mostly be through endorsements. So to say she is not popular... I would disagree.

Public interest in their sport still proves your Sharapova praise incorrect. She could not break or equal any SW finals ratings--even with the unwarranted hype surrounding Sharapova, which is proof she is not what you claim she is.

There you go again.. what would I have to be bitter about?

Delusion does not suit you. Your every post is a denial of fact, which stems from bitter feelings that your cherished Henin (or Sharapova) is on SW level as a champion, and most likely never will be. ..not to mention an utter act of fantasy regarding the USO non-incident.

..but continue to pretend you do not have issues. We believe you....

LDVTennis
12-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Numbers and effect do not lie.

Public interest in their sport still proves your Sharapova praise incorrect. She could not break or equal any SW finals ratings--even with the unwarranted hype surrounding Sharapova, which is proof she is not what you claim she is.

Delusion does not suit you.

You may want to reconsider your own delusions because Ripper014 spoke the truth. Sharapova's endorsement money dwarfs Serena's. Serena's TV ratings may be better, but that hasn't translated into more endorsement money for her.

That strongly suggests, as I have argued in the past, that there is some disconnect between those ratings and Serena's actual worth to the market.

The companies that have signed Sharapova to those contracts obviously know something you don't. Their internal metrics must tell them that Sharapova is more marketable than Serena Williams.

One of those companies happens to be SonyE, the corporate sponsor of the WTA. If anyone would know about the TV ratings, you would think it would be SonyE. Despite that, they signed Sharapova last year to an exclusive contract. SonyE hasn't made a decision yet whether to renew their sponsorship contract with the WTA tour, yet they did not hesitate last year to sign Sharapova as a product ambassador. After 5 years as the tour sponsor, it seems Sharapova is the only player that they considered to have long term value for them. Imagine that.

srinrajesh
12-02-2009, 06:41 AM
well pocket change fine for a life threatening temper tantrum no real ban for a single slam or WTA tourney ...
serena definitely got away easy on this one

well another tantrum may well be termed "minor" so even the suspended ban may never come to reality..
tarango actually got suspended for his antics. does this show bias for top players agaisnt the rest of the players

jorel
12-02-2009, 06:45 AM
not to beat a dead horse....but

did anyone see them in the hallway outside their dressing room right after the incident on tv

it looked like Venus asked Sarena what happened and they were both laughing, giggling and smiling

that was right before her entourage/handlers shoved the camera away and the camera guy said somthing like "dont touch me"

makes me think if all those apologies were genuine remorse

jorel
12-02-2009, 06:45 AM
BTW. the australians are outraged at the ITF decision

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...serena_1319217 (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_australian-tennis-officials-fans-disgusted-over-soft-stance-on-erring-serena_1319217)

jwbarrientos
12-02-2009, 06:49 AM
I am ok with ITF sanction, probation period and also money, that is more proper than initial $10k given by USTA

forthegame
12-02-2009, 07:24 AM
A lot of people are being very silly wrt this issue IMHO. I believe it's because it's Serena Williams, none of this would have happened if it was Sharapova or any of the cute blondes.

A fine and a suspended sentence is very fair and sends a message.

John McEnroe did similar stuff.
You guys are pontificating.
Simply let this debate die!! Not good for tennis to keep dragging this on and on. Everyone moved on from Mac and Connors' bad behaviour.

Chadwixx
12-02-2009, 07:31 AM
none of this would have happened if it was Sharapova or any of the cute blondes.

Cute blondes dont act like animals, people like serena do.

Another reason to not watch wta tennis. I have no interest in their product anymore. They are no longer a respectable organization.

Camilio Pascual
12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
If Serena keeps up her usual pretty good behaviour, no more punishment should be needed, which should please her fans. If something like this pops up again, she'll get a ban that will be a pretty big deal for her ranking and winnings, which will be deserved because it will be a repeat offense.
Most sensible.
I'm a fan and agree she should be banned if she repeats it.

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 07:44 AM
You may want to reconsider your own delusions because Ripper014 spoke the truth. Sharapova's endorsement money dwarfs Serena's. Serena's TV ratings may be better, but that hasn't translated into more endorsement money for her.

That strongly suggests, as I have argued in the past, that there is some disconnect between those ratings and Serena's actual worth to the market.

The companies that have signed Sharapova to those contracts obviously know something you don't. Their internal metrics must tell them that Sharapova is more marketable than Serena Williams.

One of those companies happens to be SonyE, the corporate sponsor of the WTA. If anyone would know about the TV ratings, you would think it would be SonyE. Despite that, they signed Sharapova last year to an exclusive contract. SonyE hasn't made a decision yet whether to renew their sponsorship contract with the WTA tour, yet they did not hesitate last year to sign Sharapova as a product ambassador. After 5 years as the tour sponsor, it seems Sharapova is the only player that they considered to have long term value for them. Imagine that.

I was not going to post anymore on this thread... but I wanted to thank you for posting something that it seems I was failing to articulate.

I find this point interesting... and something I have never looked into or considered... could it be because those that are tuning in are hoping to see her fail, rather than actually supporting her tennis and antics.

jorel
12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
A lot of people are being very silly wrt this issue IMHO. I believe it's because it's Serena Williams, none of this would have happened if it was Sharapova or any of the cute blondes.

Simply let this debate die!! Not good for tennis to keep dragging this on and on. Everyone moved on from Mac and Connors' bad behaviour.
can you imagine Sharapova threatening to shove a ball down a tiny asian women's throat and killing her>?

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Serena is a fat hog who should have been suspended. It will be fun watching Henin and Clijsters kick her fat *** in all year.

LDVTennis
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
II find this point interesting... and something I have never looked into or considered... could it be because those that are tuning in are hoping to see her [Serena] fail, rather than actually supporting her tennis and antics.

If there is a "bearded lady" effect, I think it is minimal.

I think it has more to do with two other factors: (1) the demographic of Serena's audiences are probably not appealing to the sponsors who have been traditionally associated with the game; (2) there's also the problem of Serena's limited international appeal. Sharapova's look has more appeal to consumers outside the US, particularly in Europe and Asia.

jamesblakefan#1
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Serena is a fat hog who should have been suspended. It will be fun watching Henin and Clijsters kick her fat *** in all year.

Oh god, a new moron on TTW. Welcome to my ignore list.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM

1.) previous outbursts by McEnroe or any other player were just that, outbursts. What serena did can be and is considered an assault (a crime) in most US states (if not all).

2.) just because it was okay before doesn't mean it's okay now. We as a society improves over time (or should be). Example, if a company discriminates against a person of color, that company would be in trouble and can't use the excuse that it was okay before.

I think fine and suspended sentence is okay, if and only if she was DQ from US Open. I mean if the act warned so much attention and additional fine, why was/is she not DQ from the tournament where it took place??

pmerk34
12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
1.) previous outbursts by McEnroe or any other player were just that, outbursts. What serena did can be and is considered an assault (a crime) in most US states (if not all).

An assault? LOL.

2.) just because it was okay before doesn't mean it's okay now. We as a society improves over time (or should be). Example, if a company discriminates against a person of color, that company would be in trouble and can't use the excuse that it was okay before.

When was the last time it was ok for a "company" to discriminate a against a "person of color"? 1933?

I think fine and suspended sentence is okay, if and only if she was DQ from US Open. I mean if the act warned so much attention and additional fine, why was/is she not DQ from the tournament where it took place??

She was defaulted from the US Open. Just as Mac was from the 1990 Aussie. And both deserved it.

Cantankersore
12-02-2009, 01:59 PM
She was defaulted from the US Open. Just as Mac was from the 1990 Aussie. And both deserved it.

No, it was a point penalty on match point. She got the point penalty because it was her second violation of the match after some earlier racquet abuse.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM

the point is that: what was okay 100 years, 10 years, even 1 year ago doesn't justify a wrong. and shouldn't be used to defend the actions happening now.

okay, in NY state law it doesn't fall under assault but menacing

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article120.htm#120.13

what she did is probably 2nd or 3rd degree menacing (class A or B misdemeanor). Class A carries a possible sentence of up to 1 year. Class B carries a possible sentence of up to 6 months.

bdudaday
12-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Personally I think this ruling is a bit harsh. What would they have done to Johnny Mac back in the day?

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Personally I think this ruling is a bit harsh. What would they have done to Johnny Mac back in the day?

harsh? she only got a fined. That was it. The "ban" is only if she repeats her behavior again.

and again, what was okay back then doesn't mean it's okay now. And shouldn't be used to defend her actions.

because using that logic ("What was okay yesterday should be okay today"), society wouldn't have advanced. And if you continue that in a circular logic, it would be "okay" to have slaves, discriminate against ppl based on race or sex, and etc... (I.E. "it was okay to have slaves yesterday, why not today"? the next day, "it was okay yesterday because it was okay the day before that", so it's okay today, ....)

federer_FREAK
12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
harsh? she only got a fined. That was it. The "ban" is only if she repeats her behavior again.

and again, what was okay back then doesn't mean it's okay now. And shouldn't be used to defend her actions.

because using that logic ("What was okay yesterday should be okay today"), society wouldn't have advanced. And if you continue that in a circular logic, it would be "okay" to have slaves, discriminate against ppl based on race or sex, and etc... (I.E. "it was okay to have slaves yesterday, why not today"? the next day, "it was okay yesterday because it was okay the day before that", so it's okay today, ....)

Slaves were over 150 years ago. The Johnny Mac thing was less than 20 years ago. Big difference.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Slaves were over 150 years ago. The Johnny Mac thing was less than 20 years ago. Big difference.

there is no difference, doesn't matter if it was 150 years, or 20 years ago.
the point is you can't justify a wrong because it was "okay" some number of years ago!!!

so using your logic, if someone practiced slavery within 20 years of when it was okay, then it was okay? and if someone practiced it within the 20 years after the initial 20 years, it'll be okay? it'll just go on and on, and using that circular logic, it should be okay now too.

Chadwixx
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
why was/is she not DQ from the tournament where it took place??

Because its the usta, a non profit company in which the ceo makes 9million a year. They are all about the dollar and serena had her doubles final left to play. They arent going to punish their biggest draw (#1 us woman) much like the atp didnt with agassi.

federer_FREAK
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
there is no difference, doesn't matter if it was 150 years, or 20 years ago.
the point is you can't justify a wrong because it was "okay" some number of years ago!!!

so using your logic, if someone practiced slavery within 20 years of when it was okay, then it was okay? and if someone practiced it within the 20 years after the initial 20 years, it'll be okay? it'll just go on and on, and using that circular logic, it should be okay now too.

Slavery and yelling at someone are completely different things that shouldn't even be compared.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Slavery and yelling at someone are completely different things that shouldn't even be compared.

not comparing the two directly,
but comparing the logic that you are using to defend the actions.

slavery was just an example i was giving. It could be any other social behaviors that were acceptable a year (few years, few decades) back that are not acceptable NOW And you can't defend those actions now, just because it was acceptable before. That is the point i'm trying to get across.

[Edit]
here might be a few examples that might be easier to compare

1.) not wearing a seatbelt while driving, this didn't use to be a ticket-able offense. Try using that on an officer if you were being ticketed and see if it works.

2.) using headheld cell phone while driving, this didn't use to be a ticket-able offense (but in some states, NY, CT, it is)

jimbo333
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Connors was banned for less!

I like Serena, but she needs to be honest with herself, she has anger problems!

Jimmy knew what his problems were, and was at least honest!

Skabeast121
12-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Listen Serena is a bizatch and I'm p!ss3d she didnt even get banned from the tournament they were so lenient it was rediculous. If I were in charge of the WTA I woundnt allow her to play the US open ever again. It was an embarrassment to herself, tennis, and her country. I mean seriously at her country's own SLAM! And IMHO she only did it because she didnt wanna really lose to Clistlers so she used that as an excuse for her failure to win.

fruitytennis1
12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Hes singles prize money should have been taken away. Also she shouldnt be able to play wta singles for 2 years.

forthegame
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
...I like Serena, but she needs to be honest with herself, she has anger problems!...

Agree Jimbo, what she did was terrible. I cringe every time I see it.

It's folk's continuing reactions that I find galling. IMHO, it seems to me that there is an element of discrimination, not helped by the fact that Serena was not sufficiently conciliatory.

Just reading through some of the posts here and on other forums (e.g 606) saddens me. People want her banned for life, fined all her winnings, dropped by all her sponsors etc. I think some also want her sued for chrissakes!

I cannot remember details, but wasn't there a tennis player who physically chased an official??

Again IMHO, the Williams sisters have never been accepted as athletes and as champions who are as fallible as we all are.

When they showed up it was a case of 'they're spoiling tennis', 'too much power', etc. Now their brand of athleticism is the gold standard for women's tennis.

The reaction of British fans to a Williams victory at Wimbledon speaks volumes.

Once again, what she did was unsporting and very wrong. A moment of madness and weakness. Let's move on!

God knows what will happen if they ever dabble into drugs......

jimbo333
12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
^^^^My post above has been edited by you, you've added...'s. This is not allowed.

forthegame
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
^^^^My post above has been edited by you, you've added...'s. This is not allowed.

Really? Sorry I didn't know that. Why not?

As soon as I can edit my posts I'll try to sort it.

jamesblakefan#1
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Since when is this not allowed? Nowhere in forum rules does it say this is not allowed, particularly since forthegame didn't change the words/meaning of your post.

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
This is the only ban that I am aware from a grand slam event, as most of you know it was Jeff Tarango back in 1995.

Jeff Tarango has been banned from Wimbledon next year and fined an additional pounds 18,000, which means he will forfeit his total prize-money (pounds 28,000) from this year's championships, writes John Roberts. The Californian, who walked out on his third round match after a row with the umpire, has also been suspended from one other Grand Slam tournament.

In one of the most bizarre episodes ever witnessed at the All England Club, the 26-year-old Tarango was disqualified after abandoning the court during his match against the German Alexander Mronz on 1 July.

Tarango called the French umpire, Bruno Rebeuh, "the most corrupt official in the game". The player's French wife, Benedicte, assaulted Rebeuh as he made his way back to the referee's office, and Tarango, during his media conference, accused the French official of showing favouritism to certain players in exchange for their friendship.

At the time, Tarango was fined pounds 10,000 - the heftiest sum ever imposed by the All England Club for on-court offences. The penalty was in three parts: pounds 6,500 for verbal abuse to the umpire, pounds 250 for unsportsmanlike conduct (telling the crowd to "shut up"), and pounds 3,250 for failing to to complete the match, resulting in the default.

The ban, plus the additional fine of pounds 18,000, was announced by the International Federation yesterday following an investigation by the Grand Slam authorities. They found Tarango guilty of "aggravated behavour and conduct contrary to the integrity of the game", a charge which carries suspension for one or more of the four major championships for up to three years and a fine of up to pounds 65,000.

PatrickB
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM

She was not defaulted from the U.S. Open - she was given a point penalty on match point. If she had been actually defaulted from the U.S. Open, like Macenroe was defaulted from teh 1990 Aussie, she would have had to forfeit all her winnings and points from the Open.

OrangeOne
12-02-2009, 08:07 PM
she would have had to forfeit all her winnings and points from the Open.

Which would have been a slightly more just penalty.

Slightly.

pmerk34
12-03-2009, 04:40 AM
She was not defaulted from the U.S. Open - she was given a point penalty on match point. If she had been actually defaulted from the U.S. Open, like Macenroe was defaulted from teh 1990 Aussie, she would have had to forfeit all her winnings and points from the Open.

Either way she was thrown out of the tourney. But technically I stand corrected.

HellBunni
12-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Either way she was thrown out of the tourney. But technically I stand corrected.

lol, no she was not thrown out of the tourney.

as she went on and played and won the woman's doubles in the same tourney.

she got ranking points and prize money. If she was "thrown" out, she wouldn't get any points or money and wouldn't have been allowed back in to play the doubles.

jamesblakefan#1
12-03-2009, 07:37 AM
I think you guys really need to get over this, I mean seriously there's much worse things in life and in this world to be outraged about than Serena yelling at some lineswoman.

lambielspins
12-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I am no Serena fan but some of you guys are crazy. I never thought she would be actually suspeneded from tournament play. She was still punished sufficiently. I doubt very much she will be pulling a stunt like that ever again, no matter how peeved off she might be at a given moment, given the fall out of her actions even with no suspension. That very fact alone means mission accomplished, it is pretty much a cinch the point hit home. Let it go.

rommil
12-03-2009, 07:58 AM
I think you guys really need to get over this, I mean seriously there's much worse things in life and in this world to be outraged about than Serena yelling at some lineswoman.

That or maybe you should get over defending the situation. If people want to talk about it, let them be. Since the ruling just came out recently then it's pretty relevant. I for one will try to leave this behind but what Serena did was despicable and her subsequent "apology" was questionable. Bottom line, if people want to spend their time talking about it, it's none of your concern.

drakulie
12-03-2009, 08:01 AM

You have the most posts of anyone on this forum in this thread, and you are telling others to "get over it"? LMAO >>>>> *YOU* are the one that can't get over it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=300199

jamesblakefan#1
12-03-2009, 08:02 AM
That or maybe you should get over defending the situation. If people want to talk about it, let them be. Since the ruling just came out recently then it's pretty relevant. I for one will try to leave this behind but what Serena did was despicable and her subsequent "apology" was questionable. Bottom line, if people want to spend their time talking about it, it's none of your concern.

I never defended the situation or her actions. It's the constant clamoring for some type of banishment for life, that I don't get. I've stated numerous times throughout this thread that I would've been fine if she was suspended for a slam, or lost all prize money and pts from the USO. But it's the self righteous feeling that some have, that if Serena isn't suspended for at least a year if not more she's not getting punished. I don't get that. As I said, her reputation is damaged forever because of this incident, it always will be with her and will be hard to forget....at what point is enough enough, and it's just time to move on?

GrafisGOAT
12-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Whatever, she threatened to kill her. If someone else had done that they would have been suspended for 2 years. Lets say Tamarine Tanasugarn for example had done that.

drakulie
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I never defended the situation or her actions. It's the constant clamoring for some type of banishment for life, that I don't get. I've stated numerous times throughout this thread that I would've been fine if she was suspended for a slam, or lost all prize money and pts from the USO. But it's the self righteous feeling that some have, that if Serena isn't suspended for at least a year if not more she's not getting punished. I don't get that. As I said, her reputation is damaged forever because of this incident, it always will be with her and will be hard to forget....at what point is enough enough, and it's just time to move on?

^^ you now have 23 posts in this thread.

Get over it.

sureshs
12-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Agree with you, but not about the reputation part. Her reputation was always as a hostile person. This incident will add to her aura, like Mac capitalized on his image. After a few years, she will be boasting about how she gave the lineswoman her due for an incorrect call.

Blinkism
12-03-2009, 08:13 AM
^^ you now have 23 posts in this thread.

Get over it.

And you have over 17,000 posts of trolling and Federer worship

You win

drakulie
12-03-2009, 08:18 AM
And you have over 17,000 posts of trolling and Federer worship

You win

being that you average twice as many posts per day as me (all of which are either defending nadal, or stalking me), you will soon have twice as many posts in half the time it took me to accumulate those posts.

Cyan
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Meh, big deal. She has 11 slams. I'd rather be a biatch that won 11 slams like Serena than a nice girl with zero slams like Dementieva.

GrafisGOAT
12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Meh, big deal. She has 11 slams. I'd rather be a biatch that won 11 slams like Serena than a nice girl with zero slams like Dementieva.

Dementieva doesnt have the game to win slams. It has nothing to do with being a nice girl. She is a one dimensional baseline basher and there are others who can even outpower her from the baseline. She has no variety on her groundstrokes, no volleys, definitely no serve, and mentally cracks under pressure.

rommil
12-03-2009, 08:26 AM

LOL Serena would do a double take if she was offered nice thighs in exchange for her Slams.

pmerk34
12-03-2009, 08:57 AM
lol, no she was not thrown out of the tourney.

as she went on and played and won the woman's doubles in the same tourney.

she got ranking points and prize money. If she was "thrown" out, she wouldn't get any points or money and wouldn't have been allowed back in to play the doubles.

I could care less about the doubles. She got tossed from the singles which is all anyone cares about. Maybe she should have been defaulted from the tourney but then again Mac was defaulted in AO due to the point penalty system so why split hairs over this.

pmerk34
12-03-2009, 08:59 AM
LOL Serena would do a double take if she was offered nice thighs in exchange for her Slams.

Seriously doubt it. If she didn't like her thighs she sure isn't modest about showing them

Chadwixx
12-03-2009, 09:13 AM

What about a classy player with 22 grand slams like steffi?

Why set the bar so low and settle for a fat ***** with half the gs titles?

jamesblakefan#1
12-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Nevermind Graf, you've shown in this post that you lack class.

Chadwixx
12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Is that #25?

If so you win a prize :)

drakulie
12-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Is that #25?

If so you win a prize :)

That would make it 24 troll posts from a poster who feels everyone else needs to get over it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=300199

Cyan
12-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Because Steffi retired 10 yrs ago? Serena is still active.

But obviously Steffi >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Serena.