PDA

View Full Version : having trouble taking racquet back

bharat
11-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi All

is it just me or everyone has trouble taking racquet back sooner?

I try to remember it but the racket just seems too heavy to take back again and again. I'm a strong guy, so definitely not strength. I have the racket that nadal uses, the yellow aerodrive pro one

so is my technique wrong or may be i need a different kind of racket? I have to do a clock wise rotation to take it back and more often than not I dont have time to take that rotation. Taking it straight back seems tiresome to me, but I'm amazed at how others do it with ease.

LeeD
11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Try turning the shoulders first, then if you have more time, you can take the arm back some.
The shoulder turn should happen as soon as you recognize forehand or backhand, well before the ball clears the net.
Some pros wait longer (they are pros), and hold the racket with both hands and wait longer doing a full unit turn in time with the pace of the ball. That's not you, so turn your shoulders first.
Your racket is too light for most men's players in the top 500, and most with rackets that lightweight choose to weight it on the head with lead tape.
It's not the racket, it's you.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Try taking the racquet back with the handle pointed to the ground and the head pointed at the sky. This is done to help manage the weight of the racquet. Your racquet is very light by the way.

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I am not sure if you are saying that you feel the racket is too heavy... or you are late getting the racket back. Most beginners... have this problems because the do not take their rackets back until the ball bounces on their side of the court. And it is not the taking back of the racket that is tiring you as much that it could be the energy used to fight off each stroke.

When you recognize which side you are going to hit the ball... just make the shoulder turn and the racket will follow, the key is to turn before the ball crosses the net. If you can do this you will find you have ample time to hit the ball.

It is possible to run to the ball with your shoulders turned.

mike53
11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Taking it straight back seems tiresome to me, but I'm amazed at how others do it with ease.

Try pointing the butt cap at the ball with the hitting face of the racquet facing the ground. Using a semi-western grip, I found this to be the most natural movement for me. Once I could get the racquet back quickly and consistently without thinking, I was able to gradually get it higher for a more looping swing.

papa
11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Well, as LeeD pointed out get those shoulder perpendicular to the net as soon as possible making sure that your keeping both hands on the same side.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi All

I try to remember it but the racket just seems too heavy to take back again and again. I'm a strong guy, so definitely not strength. I have the racket that nadal uses, the yellow aerodrive pro one

so is my technique wrong or may be i need a different kind of racket? I have to do a clock wise rotation to take it back and more often than not I dont have time to take that rotation. Taking it straight back seems tiresome to me, but I'm amazed at how others do it with ease.

O.o You're a strong guy... Yet you can't swing around an 11 ounce racket and take the racket back early? :shock:

I'm a weak guy, and I regularly use a 12.8 ounce racket with a swingweight in the 340s and I have no problems at all getting the racket back early or swinging it. Hell I use 13.8 ounce rackets occasionally for fun, but it's got too much power for me to control. :(

Maybe your arms are what's too heavy.

bharat
11-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Maybe your arms are what's too heavy.
that may be true :lol:

I think I shd try to play with a heavier racket to see how it feels. May be its easier to swing a heavier racquet?

can anyone suggest a racquet I shd demo ? I am a beginning 3.5 player

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
that may be true :lol:

I think I shd try to play with a heavier racket to see how it feels. May be its easier to swing a heavier racquet?

can anyone suggest a racquet I shd demo ? I am a beginning 3.5 player

Actually... It's far easier to swing a lighter racket... Problem is, they have no power, control, or stability; so I tend to shy away from them.

Perhaps you're too tense on your stroke as well.

I'm pretty loose and don't even focus on my takeback anymore, it's ingrained into my muscle memory.

LeeD
11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm a sorta skinny 5'11" and 150lbs'er now, very weak and out of shape, and swinging a Mfil 200 at 12.4 oz is never a problem.
When I'm late, the ball comes faster than I realize, not my racket being the problem.

Bungalo Bill
11-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi All

If you are getting tired, there is definetly an issue with how you are taking back your racquet.

Your initial takeback of the racquet should be from your shoulder turn. Your hands that are holding the racquet should stay pretty much in the same place from the ready position.

The racquet does go up a bit more and farther back as the ball bounces, then drops and comes forward to meet the ball into the contact zone.

Most of the stuff that happens after your shoulder turn comes a lot from momentum, so little muscle involvment should be happening.

Normally when muscle fatigue sets in is because you are tightening the muscles somewhere in the swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5U8mJYWOo&feature=related

user92626
12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi All

I have the same racket, and the plus version at that. I used to get very tired playing with it. So, I bought a lighter wilson. But it was all because of my techniques.

+Just practice turning your shoulder to face the side fence while using the nonhitting arm to help.

+Learn to relax the hitting arm when it's not used in the forward swing motion. A trick is force yourself to spin the racket between rally shots.

papa
12-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Normally when muscle fatigue sets in is because you are tightening the muscles somewhere in the swing.

Had some players this morning who did exactly this - tried to have them keep pinky off racquet but even then it was difficult. One of the problems when you have a large group, its hard to isolate & attempt any correction.

bharat
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
yesterday I played the ball machine.

Things I did:

1. replaced the thick grip with 2 thinner grips (TournaGrip) which basically meant I reduced the grip size by a 1/4 size. This helped me ease up on the grip a bit

2. used my non hitting hand to point to the right fence which allowed me to turn shoulders easily

3. instead of trying to follow the ball all the way, I stopped looking it just a bit after it crossed the net and focused on the would be point of contact. This actually took a while to get used to but it definitely helped.

After the hour hitting 200 FH's and 200 BH's, i was still feeling fresh and not tired.

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I will keep up these habits when I play with people rather than ball machine. Have a doubles match 2nite, so lets see how I do. Still need to stop rushing and wait for the ball and take it easy a bit more. :)