PDA

View Full Version : University of Arizona mens tennis

SirSweetSpot
11-30-2009, 11:16 AM
With all of the talk (as usual) going to the California schools, does anybody see a chance for the resurgent Cats to take the Pac-10? Tad Berkowitz, Pac-10 coach of the year and Jay Goldman leading the way.

10isDad
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
...better than middle of the 'pac', but not at the very top.

Arango is supposedly off the team. Carrasco is injury prone. Metham isn't the most consistent guy around - recently lost to the probable #1 at Scottsdale Community College; same with Embry - dangerous when he's on but often a bit off.

SirSweetSpot
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Zafiros should continue to blossom, it'll be interesting to see what freshman Frank Chen can do (562 in world juniors and 17 in Taiwan), Embry is eligible to play this season so the word is still out on him, I see a strong season from Goldman, who will likely have to carry the team on his shoulders.

Kick_It
12-01-2009, 07:58 AM
They're clearly doing better; last year's NCAA team performance was the best I remember in the past ~20 years. Tad is doing a good job with recruits.

It will be interesting to see how they do against Cal and Washington both head to head and in conference standings.

K_I

OleNole
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't see how they do better than 4th in conference.
Kick It is right in that the real question to be answered this year is if they've joined Cal and UDub in the second tier of the Pac-10.

Fedace
12-06-2009, 04:41 PM
With all of the talk (as usual) going to the California schools, does anybody see a chance for the resurgent Cats to take the Pac-10? Tad Berkowitz, Pac-10 coach of the year and Jay Goldman leading the way.

I seen Jay Goldman. He is a Jackle and Hide in person. Had no idea he could be so good one day and so bad on another. and he is a muscle bound he-man like Nadal and Verdasco at OREGON. :)

10isDad
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I seen Jay Goldman. He is a Jackle and Hide in person. Had no idea he could be so good one day and so bad on another. and he is a muscle bound he-man like Nadal and Verdasco at OREGON. :)

Perhaps you mean you "have" seen Jay Goldman and he is a "Jeckyll and Hyde" in person. I would have to completely disagree about him being overly muscular. He's stocky but he's far from being a "muscle bound he-man".

Fedace
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Perhaps you mean you "have" seen Jay Goldman and he is a "Jeckyll and Hyde" in person. I would have to completely disagree about him being overly muscular. He's stocky but he's far from being a "muscle bound he-man".

He isn't as bad as Verdasco at Oregon but Jay is built like a football player. If he was 6 inches taller and more consistant, he would be top 5 player in NCAA and a chance in the Pros..

SirSweetSpot
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I hope its different than last year. There was a lot of mindless ball-bashing going on with no regards to tactics. They definitely overachieved but there's only so much a coach can do when most of the team just wants to hit a no-paced topspin groundie that lands on the service line all the time. So many sprayed forehands going well wide and long...etc., etc., etc.

There is no sound doubles team, just 2 singles players on the same side of the court.

Metham is just plain terrible, uggh, and let's be honest Goldman got to beat up on a weaker than usual Standiford team that was missing their #1 and #2 singles. Still, he stepped up and I see him continuing to shine this season and next. I believe he will be a ranked player this year, for he is a damn good player.

Fedace
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I hope its different than last year. There was a lot of mindless ball-bashing going on with no regards to tactics. They definitely overachieved but there's only so much a coach can do when most of the team just wants to hit a no-paced topspin groundie that lands on the service line all the time. So many sprayed forehands going well wide and long...etc., etc., etc.

There is no sound doubles team, just 2 singles players on the same side of the court.

Metham is just plain terrible, uggh, and let's be honest Goldman got to beat up on a weaker than usual Standiford team that was missing their #1 and #2 singles. Still, he stepped up and I see him continuing to shine this season and next. I believe he will be a ranked player this year, for he is a damn good player.

Wow,, some hard hitting sports opinion there...:shock: FYI,,, it is the Coach's responsibility to make the players use sound tactics, if he can't do it, he needs to step down. and Once again this year, we will bring the weaker than usual STANDIFORD team and shut arizona down. :) and no, last year, Goldman beat a very good player, named Bradley Klahn. That was no accident..

SirSweetSpot
12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow,, some hard hitting sports opinion there...:shock: FYI,,, it is the Coach's responsibility to make the players use sound tactics, if he can't do it, he needs to step down. and Once again this year, we will bring the weaker than usual STANDIFORD team and shut arizona down. :) and no, last year, Goldman beat a very good player, named Bradley Klahn. That was no accident..

I don't if Klahn ate some bad Chinese or something, but he was not impressive at all. Looked like a #6 or so from say, a Colorado.

SirSweetSpot
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Against Goldman I mean, I didn't watch him all year like you did Fed. He seemed really apprehensive with his strokes and failed to hit through the ball at all. Played a real ladyboy type of match. Sorry. Again, I didn't get to see him all year.

Fedace
12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't if Klahn ate some bad Chinese or something, but he was not impressive at all. Looked like a #6 or so from say, a Colorado.

YOu have no eye for talent at all. Bradley is top 10 player in NCAA. and he is going to make a run at the NCAA championships come next may....:)

Fedace
12-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Against Goldman I mean, I didn't watch him all year like you did Fed. He seemed really apprehensive with his strokes and failed to hit through the ball at all. Played a real ladyboy type of match. Sorry. Again, I didn't get to see him all year.

It was Extremely Windy that day,,, how do you expect him to hit out in your crappy courts that has very little protection against the windy conditions.....:-?

SirSweetSpot
12-07-2009, 12:43 PM
It was Extremely Windy that day,,, how do you expect him to hit out in your crappy courts that has very little protection against the windy conditions.....:-?

Yes, it was indeed very windy that day. Granted.

SirSweetSpot
12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
It's a good thing we have the ladies team to look forward to. As the up and coming Natasha Marks makes her inevitable climb atop Div. 1 singles. Not to mention she can play some mean doubles to with partner Claire Rietsch.

FedAce, its windy for both players. If he and Goldman played a hundred times, Jay would win a hundred times. Seriously, you'd trade him for Goldman any day of the week.

Fedace
12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
It's a good thing we have the ladies team to look forward to. As the up and coming Natasha Marks makes her inevitable climb atop Div. 1 singles. Not to mention she can play some mean doubles to with partner Claire Rietsch.

FedAce, its windy for both players. If he and Goldman played a hundred times, Jay would win a hundred times. Seriously, you'd trade him for Goldman any day of the week.

Yes,,, your ladies are indeed very hot. Who knows how they play... and Goldman is inconsistant and erratic, not good enough for top 10. and Klahn is dependable and Solid Winner when it COUNTS. he has the ability to raise his level when he needs it the most.....

Carlito
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Zafiros should continue to blossom, it'll be interesting to see what freshman Frank Chen can do (562 in world juniors and 17 in Taiwan), Embry is eligible to play this season so the word is still out on him, I see a strong season from Goldman, who will likely have to carry the team on his shoulders.

I don't know much about college tennis but I saw Embry play in a tournament in June. He beat a guy I know in the semis pretty easily. We were surpised because they guy he beat is really good, a former pro. In the finals, Embry played a guy currently ranked #650 or so in the ATP and took it to 3 sets. He looked pretty good.

ClarkC
12-07-2009, 04:49 PM

If Goldman could beat Klahn 100 times out of 100, why can't Goldman catch Klahn in the rankings (http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRankings/Rankings/2009-10_NCAA_Division_I_Men_s_Rankings/DI_Men_s_Singles_-_9_4_09.htm), where he is #36 and Klahn is #15?

Fedace
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
If Goldman could beat Klahn 100 times out of 100, why can't Goldman catch Klahn in the rankings (http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRankings/Rankings/2009-10_NCAA_Division_I_Men_s_Rankings/DI_Men_s_Singles_-_9_4_09.htm), where he is #36 and Klahn is #15?

cause Klahn is better than goldman ?? that is why brad is ranked #15. Klahn almost never loses to a player ranked below him and beats guys higher than him. While Goldman loses to guys outside of 100 and almost never beats the top players...

SirSweetSpot
12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
^^ Because U of A will never get the political love that the Standiford players receive. Goldman will rise this year just watch.

ClarkC
12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
^^ Because U of A will never get the political love that the Standiford players receive. Goldman will rise this year just watch.

Political love has little to do with computer rankings decided entirely on match results. Get a clue and stop all the stupid trash talking.

Fedace
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Pure Ignorance......maybe ignorance is bliss.....:)

SirSweetSpot
12-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Political love has little to do with computer rankings decided entirely on match results. Get a clue and stop all the stupid trash talking.

You are a naive fool to believe that human inteference doesn't influence rankings in any way. So get a clue and get over the fact that you worship a ladyboy...you and Fed both.

Fedace
12-10-2009, 09:23 PM
You are a naive fool to believe that human inteference doesn't influence rankings in any way. So get a clue and get over the fact that you worship a ladyboy...you and Fed both.

Who are you calling a lazyboy ??? Umpires that officiate at Stanford matches go out of their way not to show favoritism to the home team, just so that you know....

Puddy
12-10-2009, 11:31 PM
ladyboy = lazyboy?

ClarkC
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM

I am not a Stanford fan and have no great interest in the rankings of their players. I do know how the rankings work, unlike you, so I try to correct misinformation.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Leave it to the self-proclaimed "Doctor", FEDACE- aka "The Stanford Stalker" to wander his wanker opinions to an Arizona thread steering it to Stanford and adding his usual one pony- opinions that consist of, "Oh yeah"? "Yeah".

goldfish81
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
jay goldman is terrible and so annoying to play against

check out this pac 10 site,

pac10s.com

Clemson_tennis
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
7 of the 8 players are underclassmen this year

NickC
10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
7 of the 8 players are underclassmen this year

I've seen them hit a few times. They look decent, but I have a feeling that they'll get whipped by USC and Stanford.....like every year.