PDA

View Full Version : Federer will not win a slam in 2010

vanity
11-30-2009, 10:57 AM
My bold prediction which of course most on here will rebuff. Well, the competition is getting stronger and Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will all step up there game and take 3 of the possible 4 slams. While either Del Potro or Davydenko will scoop the last one. Federer's already lost to 3 of the 5 players noted in the past few weeks.

tudwell
11-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Federer will win the Australian Open and Wimbledon. You heard it hear first.

Cody
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
My bold prediction which of course most on here will rebuff. Well, the competition is getting stronger and Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will all step up there game and take 3 of the possible 4 slams. While either Del Potro or Davydenko will scoop the last one.

It surely is bold.

Federer's serve if it clicks will give him some slams, while i think delpony will play well, i don't feel anything for murray.

This indoor season is always the low point of the year and many assumptions are made.

Just wait til next year.

vanity
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Federer will decline hugely next season. I can already see this happening.

Jchurch
11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Federer will win Wimbledon for sure and still has a shot at the Grand Slam. He was only two sets away from a Grand Slam this year.

Jchurch
11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Federer will decline hugely next season. I can already see this happening.

Decline? Hmmmm this season he sure was better than last season. If anything he is on the ride :)

Wow Sampras and Aggassi Careers in one :wink: A strong start and a strong finish

scotus
11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Many thought the same in 2009.

With Rafa winning the AO and Roger failing miserably in subsequent tournaments, many people predicted a slamless year for Roger.

Funny how things turned out.

vanity
11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Decline? Hmmmm this season he sure was better than last season. If anything he is on the ride :)

Wow Sampras and Aggassi Careers in one :wink: A strong start and a strong finish

Yes, it's true many thought the decline would be this year. However, with the competition getting stronger i don't think he will be able to keep up.

kishnabe
11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Pretty bold or stupid. Either way Federer has the tools at least to win one slam next year.

Tsonga#1fan
11-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Wimbledon....maybe, that's about it. His record last year against other top players won't get any better and he won't be able to squeek by anymore. Rapid decline, no. Slow decline already in progress, yes.

Federer in '09

Nadal 1-1
Djokovic 2-3
del Potro 3-2

slam finals: 2-2

Nadal 0-1
del Potro 0-1
Roddick 1-0
Soderling 1-0

Clearly he doesn't dominate the top players anymore, and if one is to reason he was two sets away from the Grand Slam, the same reasoning could be that he was one set away from loosing Wimbledon

BigServer1
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Wimbledon....maybe, that's about it. His record last year against other top players won't get any better and he won't be able to squeek by anymore. Rapid decline, no. Slow decline already in progress, yes.

Federer in '09

Nadal 1-1
Djokovic 2-3
del Potro 3-2

Nadal 0-1
del Potro 0-1
Roddick 1-0
Soderling 1-0

Clearly he doesn't dominate the top players anymore, and if one is to reason he was two sets away from the Grand Slam, the same reasoning could be that he was one set away from loosing Wimbledon

You do realize what you're saying, right? The fact that he was 2-2 in slam finals means that he made all 4 finals...You're also completely missing the fact that he beat DelPo in Australia and France and beat Djokovic at the US Open. That means that this year he was 2-1 against DelPo in slams and 1-0 against Djokovic.

Also, 1-1 against Nadal is .500. I can't remember the last time Fed finished a year with a non-losing record against Nadal (2005?). All in all, 2009 was a MUCH better year for Fed than 2008, and that was with Nadal getting better and guys like DelPo, Djokovic and Murray taking off or continuing to do so, not to mention Roddick's resurgence and the stellar play of guys like Soderling and Davydenko later in the year.

We've heard this for years. Fed won't win a slam in '07 (he won three), Fed won't win a slam in '08 (won another one there), Fed won't win a slam in '09 (won two). Now it's about to be 2010, and there are doubters again. Will he win 2-3 slams next year? Probably not, but at this point I'd say 2-3 is far more likely than 0.

Carsomyr
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
So you predict Federer to have the same amount of Slams next year that Murray will have in his career? Interesting.

King_roger
11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Federer will not win a slam in 2010
http://ui08.gamespot.com/1735/failed_2.jpg

fps
11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
screw these longshot threads which everyone forgets when the OP is revealed to be the fool he was suspected to be, and looks like a genius if they come off. same poster under a different name probably did one last year.

Tsonga#1fan
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
You do realize what you're saying, right? The fact that he was 2-2 in slam finals means that he made all 4 finals...You're also completely missing the fact that he beat DelPo in Australia and France and beat Djokovic at the US Open. That means that this year he was 2-1 against DelPo in slams and 1-0 against Djokovic.

Also, 1-1 against Nadal is .500. I can't remember the last time Fed finished a year with a non-losing record against Nadal (2005?). All in all, 2009 was a MUCH better year for Fed than 2008, and that was with Nadal getting better and guys like DelPo, Djokovic and Murray taking off or continuing to do so, not to mention Roddick's resurgence and the stellar play of guys like Soderling and Davydenko later in the year.

We've heard this for years. Fed won't win a slam in '07 (he won three), Fed won't win a slam in '08 (won another one there), Fed won't win a slam in '09 (won two). Now it's about to be 2010, and there are doubters again. Will he win 2-3 slams next year? Probably not, but at this point I'd say 2-3 is far more likely than 0.

If you consider '09 with a second half of the year having a sub-par Nadal better than his '08, then I can understand how you might consider it a great year. It was just that, a great year. Not a dominating year and the fact that he lost ground to Nadal in '08 through the beginning of '09 and has started to loose more frequently tells me he isn't likely to have the continued success of previous years. He will remain a contender but I don't consider him any more of a favorite than some of the others.

Mick
11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
come on.

we are talking federer with blx here.

federer without blx was good enough to win 15 gs.

federer with blx, well i feel sorry for the competitions :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-30-2009, 11:58 AM
My bold prediction which of course most on here will rebuff. Well, the competition is getting stronger and Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will all step up there game and take 3 of the possible 4 slams. While either Del Potro or Davydenko will scoop the last one. Federer's already lost to 3 of the 5 players noted in the past few weeks.

This was being said at the end of 2008 as well, he responded with winning 2 slams reaching the final in the other 2 :)
Seriously, why create a thread like this?? You will only look like a fool in September of 2010.

tudwell
11-30-2009, 12:04 PM

Federer in '09

Nadal 1-1
Djokovic 2-3
del Potro 3-2

That's one way to look at it. Or you could say that he went 26-2 in grand slams this year.

Tsonga#1fan
11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
come on.

we are talking federer with blx here.

federer without blx was good enough to win 15 gs.

federer with blx, well i feel sorry for the competitions :)

LOL!......I feel sorry for anyone who walks on a court with that BLX. It has to be the ugliest racquet EVER produced. KSix-One looks sharp though.

RalphNYC
However, with the competition getting stronger i don't think he will be able to keep up.
Or weaker, in Nadal's case...

fleabitten
I actually don't think is all that "bold" of a prediction. He's tapering off, he's a dad and it happens.

Rhino
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Oh it must be December. Every year it's the same:
"Federer will not win a slam in [insert year]"

Mick
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
LOL!......I feel sorry for anyone who walks on a court with that BLX. It has to be the ugliest racquet EVER produced. KSix-One looks sharp though.

haha. you to have to re-read my post and replace "blx" with "balls"
that's what "blx" means, according to our english forum members :)

Tsonga#1fan
11-30-2009, 12:10 PM
In reality I agree he is not in a slight decline. He had his best ever year in '08 and it was even better in '09. I believe he will not loose a single match next year. I believe he will never loose another match again ever. I will be surprised if he is not still winning slams ten years from now. Yea, right. Wake up people, it is inevitable and it is staring you all square in the face.

Rhino
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
In reality I agree he is not in a slight decline. He had his best ever year in '08 and it was even better in '09. I believe he will not loose a single match next year. I believe he will never loose another match again ever. I will be surprised if he is not still winning slams ten years from now. Yea, right. Wake up people, it is inevitable and it is staring you all square in the face.

Well he's been written off so many times before on this board it's a joke.
But sure, eventually if you keep saying it every year then it will eventually be true. And then people will say "I told you so!!!".

Tsonga#1fan
11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Well he's been written off so many times before on this board it's a joke.
But sure, eventually if you keep saying it every year then it will eventually be true. And then people will say "I told you so!!!".

I understand! I read the crap on here. I like Roger Federer very, very much and am greatly going to miss the time when he no longer is competitive for slams. I have no interest in him not winning. Some of the recent slam looses (the last two years) I would have been just as happy to have seen Federer win them. Wimbledon '08 for sure. Tennis fans were the winner in respect to that match. I have never said he can't or won't win a couple of slams next year or beyond. I am saying objectively while he is still very much a threat he is no longer as dominate and therefore not an undisputed favorite he once was. Good luck to Federer!

Knightmace
11-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Federer will win 3

RafaBrain
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Federer will not win a slam in 2010?
it is difficult to believe that unless he runs into a tree like tiger before all slams.

shaysrebelII
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
he'll win at least one, he'll be a finalist in at least two, and he'll keep his semifinals streak alive through the whole year.

and I think this is a conservative estimate.

Dgpsx7
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
making this thread gives you the characteristics of a bandwagon jumper. Fed slows down at the end of the year in a year where he has won two slams and was in the final of every single slam. You think you can judge all of 2010 on his performance since the US Open? I guess we will see what happens..

Grigor#1fan
11-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Federer will not win a slam in 2010?
it is difficult to believe that unless he runs into a tree like tiger before all slams.

Maybe Mirka will smack Roger in the face with one of his new BLX racquets like what's her name did "Tigger" with a driver...... "FORE"!

IvanAndreevich
11-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Why don't you just play it safe and make a thread like "Federer Will Not Win a Slam in 2020" or something along those lines?

Otherwise you are setting yourself up for point and laugh posts by the time AO rolls around.

Grigor#1fan
11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
making this thread gives you the characteristics of a bandwagon jumper. Fed slows down at the end of the year in a year where he has won two slams and was in the final of every single slam. You think you can judge all of 2010 on his performance since the US Open? I guess we will see what happens..

A smart, objective opinion takes into account not only recent results but the ones from the last year, year and a half. Given those results, Federer is one a definite decline. Since Olympics 2008, Roger has at the very least been inconsistent. I don't even think Federer will make Australian semi's unless he gets some of his old form back.

edmondsm
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM

I'm curious what makes you think Nadal will step up his game. He wasn't even competitive at the YEC. I know the surface doesn't suit him but come on, that was pathetic. I could definitely see Fed going slamless because Murray, Djokovic, and Delpo step it up, but I really doubt that Nadal is going to be a threat at the Aussie and USO, and probably not the other ones either.

sh@de
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Fed didn't win a slam in 2010. He's nowhere near as dominant as he once was; he loses against so many of the top 5, and if he's to win a slam, I very much doubt he can win it without playing any of the other top 5.

MuseFan
11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Fed didn't win a slam in 2010. He's nowhere near as dominant as he once was; he loses against so many of the top 5, and if he's to win a slam, I very much doubt he can win it without playing any of the other top 5.

Nadal won the Aussie Open after doing nothing post-Olympics. So why can't Fed?

edmondsm
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
A smart, objective opinion takes into account not only recent results but the ones from the last year, year and a half. Given those results, Federer is one a definite decline. Since Olympics 2008, Roger has at the very least been inconsistent. I don't even think Federer will make Australian semi's unless he gets some of his old form back.

Have to say, you don't have much of a point. Federer has been inconsistant? He's made the last 22 GS semifinals LOL. Yeah he might be dropping some matches here and there, he's not winning 80+ matches every year, but to say he's been inconsistent is seeing the world with Nadal-colored-glasses.

I don't disagree that he might not win a slam next year. His two slam wins this year came over dudes that he has always owned, and he should have lost that Wimbledon final, Roddick gagged. I think if Delpo, Djoker, and Murray are able to step it up, then he could very easily end 2010 without a slam.

TheFifthSet
12-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Why is Murray in better position to win a slam than Federer?

sh@de
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Nadal won the Aussie Open after doing nothing post-Olympics. So why can't Fed?

I'm not saying Fed can't, I'm only saying that if he doesn't, I wouldn't be particularly surprised. Whereas before, back in 05, 06 and 07, it would have been surprising if Fed didn't win a single slam.

vndesu
12-01-2009, 12:43 AM
if the op thinks fed wont win a slam then i think murray wont win a slam :)

crazylevity
12-01-2009, 05:31 AM
OP must be jealous of the attention sureshs gets for his fail threads and wants some of it.

marpiw
12-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I guess that he wont win anything substantial in 2010 because all players have upgraded their play too much...
He should announce his retirement at the end of the season,effective immediately...

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-01-2009, 05:54 AM
OP Fail
Marpiw Fail

David L
12-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Nah. I think Federer is going to be very motivated come the start of 2010. Some more players have shown their hand, so I'm expecting Federer to come super-prepared. Motivation can flag a little at the end of the year when most of the big events have passed, but everyone will be raring to go again in January. With less pressure than in the past 2 years and given some of the recent pressures he has had to overcome, it would not surprise me if next year was one of his best years. The idea of the Grand Slam could even vaguely be in the back of his mind somewhere. A tall order, but a great motivator for the man who has already achieved so much.

TheMusicLover
12-01-2009, 06:44 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vSyk6SJoF1M/SpXCS57hq6I/AAAAAAAADS0/KG1FD6wWIx8/s400/broken+clock.jpg

icedevil0289
12-01-2009, 06:55 AM
lol karin. Like Sh@de said, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win a single slam next year. He is getting older, his game is on decline and has been for a while now and there are younger players who are hungrier and are only going to make it tougher for fed. However, I think people should know by now not to judge him based on how he does in master events. Despite playing mediocore at the master events, he still made all 4 finals, evening winning 2 slams. Fed is different when it comes to slams, so I wouldn't rule him out, but in this sport, anything can happen.

Cesc Fabregas
12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
lol karin. Like Sh@de said, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win a single slam next year. He is getting older, his game is on decline and has been for a while now and there are younger players who are hungrier and are only going to make it tougher for fed. However, I think people should know by now not to judge him based on how he does in master events. Despite playing mediocore at the master events, he still made all 4 finals, evening winning 2 slams. Fed is different when it comes to slams, so I wouldn't rule him out, but in this sport, anything can happen.

How come you don't post here that often any more?

TheMusicLover
12-01-2009, 07:02 AM

Hey Usha, I didn't even expect him to win one this year, let alone two. :)
But like you say - anything can happen and it's rather silly to state such a thing so boldly about a player who's been in all of the 4 GS finals this year. Unless it's OP's wish - which I suspect.

icedevil0289
12-01-2009, 07:07 AM
How come you don't post here that often any more?

I've been busy with school and some other stuff. I still browse this thread, and I post once or twice in the pro match results section.

Hey Usha, I didn't even expect him to win one this year, let alone two. :)
But like you say - anything can happen and it's rather silly to state such a thing so boldly about a player who's been in all of the 4 GS finals this year. Unless it's OP's wish - which I suspect.

lol, I up until madrid, and even then, I didn't really expect him to win a slam either, although I still hoped. Anyway, if he doesn't win a slam in 2010, fine with me. He's already won practically everything and it would be nice to see other players win slams as well.

TheNatural
12-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Fed will focus on trying to win his first Davis cup on 2010

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Fed will focus on trying to win his first Davis cup on 2010

He still doesn't have a team. Wawrinka is not consistent enough to be depended on to come through in Davis Cup, and it would take too much energy for Federer to carry the Swiss to a DC title.

Cesc Fabregas
12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
He still doesn't have a team. Wawrinka is not consistent enough to be depended on to come through in Davis Cup, and it would take too much energy for Federer to carry the Swiss to a DC title.

Who were Becker and Borg's great team mates when they led their teams to Davis Cup titles?

10ACE
12-01-2009, 07:35 AM

HAHA Nadal has lost to all of them the last few weeks.

Good laugh though, I grant you that

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Who were Becker and Borg's great team mates when they led their teams to Davis Cup titles?

Who cares in the grand scheme of things? I know where you're trying to go with this...it's different times now. The DC is much harder to win now, the competition is much deeper...you know this.

DC is not going to make or break Fed's career at this point, Fed knows this.

pame
12-01-2009, 08:54 AM

I'm sure you'll find it in your heart of hearts to grant that Fed is simply a human being... Bors and Becker didn't win 15 grand slam titles, did they? Maybe it's a little more difficult to do both. I guess you too have come to expect Fed is Superman... lol

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Wawrinka is a talented player who can beat anyone when he is on. Heck he has beaten Federer this year. His problem is he is a huge headcase. With on court coaching and Federer's encouragement and advice there is no reason he shouldnt be a real threat in Davis Cup play. Federer has played well in doubles with both Wawrinka and another pairing. He still has enough help there is no excuse to not put more effort into Davis Cup. Past greats have won with less. If he doesnt put in a real effort now that has the slam record and career slam especialy, then shame on him.

pame
12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Wawrinka is a talented player who can beat anyone when he is on. Heck he has beaten Federer this year. His problem is he is a huge headcase. With on court coaching and Federer's encouragement and advice there is no reason he shouldnt be a real threat in Davis Cup play. Federer has played well in doubles with both Wawrinka and another pairing. He still has enough help there is no excuse to not put more effort into Davis Cup. Past greats have won with less. If he doesnt put in a real effort now that has the slam record and career slam especialy, then shame on him.

Why don't we just cut tothe chase and be done with it. Even if Switzerland were to win DC with Fed, you lot would find one more thing he hadn't done that "past greats have done", and then you'd be harping on that non-stop too. And I'll refrain from asking the obvious "What did YOU do in the war, Daddy?"

dh003i
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Really, the Davis cup isn't as big a deal anymore. Sure, Federer has the career grand slam. He still doesn't have a calendar year grand slam. His primary goal for next year is going to be to win as many slams as possible, and I think that despite the possible emergence of Del Potro, Federer has a decent chance for the GS this year, as Nadal may be weaker on clay than before.

So that is going to be his #1 priority, winning as many slams as possible, and keeping the #1 ranking. Davis cup is at best a distance third (after the slams, the YEC is the most important tournament, although even that is over-shadowed enormously).

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Wawrinka is a bigger clown than Soderling, Verdasco, and some of the other players you love to pick on as today's clown. Is he talented, yes. But he's extremely inconsistent, and can lose to anybody on any given day. He hasn't even made a slam QF his entire career. His DC record of 11-11 shows how undependable and inconsistent he can be.

There's no reason why Federer should have to expend extra energy to try and carry the Swiss to the DC title by playing singles and doubles. As others have said, the DC isn't as important in the grand scheme of things when ranking the greats of all time. Is it something nice to have, yes. But is it something you need to have to be an all time great? No, and Federer shouldn't break his back to carry the Swiss to a DC title in exchange for slam success.

vanity
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
OP must be jealous of the attention sureshs gets for his fail threads and wants some of it.

Of course no one here is entitled to an opinion...:roll:

veroniquem
12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm curious what makes you think Nadal will step up his game. He wasn't even competitive at the YEC. I know the surface doesn't suit him but come on, that was pathetic. I could definitely see Fed going slamless because Murray, Djokovic, and Delpo step it up, but I really doubt that Nadal is going to be a threat at the Aussie and USO, and probably not the other ones either.
Nadal has never been very competitive at the YEC. Although he has made the semis twice, he has also skipped the event several times and it should be noted that he never qualified for the semis as the #1 of his RR group. He's also been severely beaten in the semis both times. This must be the only event where Fed has always completely dominated Nadal. Using YEC as a yardstick for Nadal's future performance in other events is as absurd as claiming that Nadal would never beat Fed again based on those 2 matches at YEC...
Thankfully for Rafa, indoor has become a marginal surface and he's practically guaranteed to do better anywhere else...

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
What if next year it turns out that Nadal is burnt out, that Murray still doesn't have a game for slams, that Del Potro cannot live up to expectations, that Djokovic still doesn't have stamina and fitness..? What then OP?

dropserve
12-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Federer has made 17 finals in the last 18 slams winning 11 of them.
That alone must indicate something.
Predicting he will go slamless next year is very risky.
Of course he is getting older but you have to take into acount his experience.
There are 5-6 guys that are the favorites for the slams and Fed is for sure among them.
I see some people put Davydenko into the equation just because he won WTF.
The guy has never been into a slam final yet and has the same age with Fed...
I am not saying Federer will win a slam in 2010 for sure but the odds, for me, are 80% winning at least one.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
What if next year it turns out that Nadal is burnt out, that Murray still doesn't have a game for slams, that Del Potro cannot live up to expectations, that Djokovic still doesn't have stamina and fitness..? What then OP?

The OP is Maximo under his 200th username. He will be banned again long before then anyway (although be back under some other names and banned under those too most likely). Hence the reason he isnt worried about being embarassed by a thread like this one.

fed_the_savior
09-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Perfect prediction.