PDA

View Full Version : Wetheim Fails Again....Jeter SI Sportsman Of The Year

marc45
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
every year wertheim nominates fed (other than last year when he nominated rafa), but fed loses out again...and i have to suffer another yankee cover and jeter praise....the fact that si ignored the greatest athlete on the planet so many years is a joke....and the only reason i begrudge them not going with rafa last year is phelps (or bolt if they had gone that way).....i'm boycotting gillette too :)

marc45
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
sorry folks, didn't see the other thread

JoshDragon
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
every year wertheim nominates fed (other than last year when he nominated rafa), but fed loses out again...and i have to suffer another yankee cover and jeter praise....the fact that si ignored the greatest athlete on the planet so many years is a joke....and the only reason i begrudge them not going with rafa last year is phelps (or bolt if they had gone that way).....i'm boycotting gillette too :)

I'm not trying to put down Phelp's achievement last summer but I think Rafa deserved it over him. Rafa dominated the whole spring/summer and also won the gold medal. IMO, what he did at Wimbledon should have guaranteed him sportsman of the year.

marc45
11-30-2009, 06:19 PM
and i apologize again...sl price this year, not wertheim

marc45
11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm not trying to put down Phelp's achievement last summer but I think Rafa deserved it over him. Rafa dominated the whole spring/summer and also won the gold medal. IMO, what he did at Wimbledon should have guaranteed him sportsman of the year.
i don't disagree, he certainly had to dominate over a longer period than phelps or bolt, but all were worthy....olympic years give those folks the advantage....even jeter i believe would have lost out.....u.s. bias and east coast bias this year to be sure...hell the red sox team won in 2004

grafselesfan
11-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Phelps put on the greatest performance by an Olympic athlete in history. What Rafa did last year was just incredible but I dont see how anyone but Phelps could have been Athlete of the Year. That includes Bolt also IMO. This year though the athlete of the year should have been Bolt, not Jeter though. Bolt outdid even his Beijing heroics at the World Track and Field Championships. Jeter isnt even the best baseball player this year, what a joke his winning is.

I agree Federer probably should won at some point, but he also did not deserve to win the Laureus Athlete of the Year all 4 years he won it. For example the award given out in spring of 2008 for the year 2007 should have been Phelps hands down for his historic performance at the 2007 World Acquatic Championships.

I am not a big fan of either swimming or track btw, but fair is fair.