PDA

View Full Version : Long or Short Backswing?

mauri_99
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi i have a question about the backswing. First of all i play with a western forehand grip and my question is:
do a longer backswing helps you getting more power? for example Novak Djokovic has a pretty long backswing (not Gonzalez) but you know what i mean:)
i dont have a long backswing and im wondering if that is the reason that i dont hit with much pace my backswing almost is take back a little and hit hope you help thnx

Netspirit
11-30-2009, 06:19 PM
If you can get a higher racket head speed by increasing the length of your backswing, do it until it stops to pay off.

At that point you do not want a backswing any longer since the longer it is, the more difficult it is to time it, the less consistent your shots become.

SystemicAnomaly
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
If you find it difficult to properly time your forward swing, shorten up the preparation or the lenght of the backswing (or the size of the loop ). Power can be derived more efficiently from a properly-timed swing and by using the legs, hip rotation, and torso rotation rather the relying on a huge backswing.

Bungalo Bill
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi i have a question about the backswing. First of all i play with a western forehand grip and my question is:
do a longer backswing helps you getting more power? for example Novak Djokovic has a pretty long backswing (not Gonzalez) but you know what i mean:)
i dont have a long backswing and im wondering if that is the reason that i dont hit with much pace my backswing almost is take back a little and hit hope you help thnx

You can have a longer backswing if you want. However, whatever you choose I would highly recommend you develop a takeback that keeps the racquet head on the same side as the hitting hand.

GuyClinch
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
^^^Yes. Actually most pro players look to have about the same length backswing on alot of shots - very few go past pointing at the back fence, IMHO.

It's a bit tricky to tell because backswings vary a bit from shot to shot..

That being said I have seen some players (dinkers) who basically don't use much of a backswing (or shoulder turn) at all and just push the ball with a fully open stance and a WW finish. If your that kind of player you should learn a unit turn and backswing to take your game to the next level..

Pete

LeeD
12-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Kinetics play a huge role.
Skinny or weaker players, when they want to hit fast balls, use longer swings.
Stronger players can use short backswings and still get the rackethead speeds to hit the ball fast.
Time is the main factor on groundies. Incoming ball can give you little time, and shorter backswings counter that. Soft, slow incoming balls, you can use a longer backswing.
So the answer, as always is DEPENDS on what you need and what works for you against the level of play you're at....

mauri_99
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Kinetics play a huge role.
Skinny or weaker players, when they want to hit fast balls, use longer swings.
Stronger players can use short backswings and still get the rackethead speeds to hit the ball fast.
Time is the main factor on groundies. Incoming ball can give you little time, and shorter backswings counter that. Soft, slow incoming balls, you can use a longer backswing.
So the answer, as always is DEPENDS on what you need and what works for you against the level of play you're at....

Thank you you did a really really good point. Im not a strong guy and today in the afternoon i tried to make a longer backswing and it did helped alot my forehand are more powerfull and it helped me to hit more through the ball since i use a western grip
So i think that is a differece between nadal and djokovic nadal has a western (very extreme semi western so it is almost the same) and djokovic full western and that is why djokovic has a longer backswing and nadal a relative short one NADAL is strong and Djokovic not too much

fruitytennis1
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
With a western grip I would agree with the longer backswing. If you have an extremely long backswing though once you start getting to a higher level timing gets really hard.

Bungalo Bill
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Thank you you did a really really good point. Im not a strong guy and today in the afternoon i tried to make a longer backswing and it did helped alot my forehand are more powerfull and it helped me to hit more through the ball since i use a western grip
So i think that is a differece between nadal and djokovic nadal has a western (very extreme semi western so it is almost the same) and djokovic full western and that is why djokovic has a longer backswing and nadal a relative short one NADAL is strong and Djokovic not too much

Please do not believe that. There are many variables in why a player likes a certain type of swing. Nearly all good tennis players take the racquet back and keep the head of the racquet on the same side as the contact side.

The strength of the player does not dictate how short they swing the racquet because technically if you assume Nadal is the strongest player on tour, he should be using a takeback that resembles a volley to hit his groundies.

Further, the takeback does not translate into more momentum or faster swing speeds alone. A player that knows how to transfer energy through his body better can afford to use a short takeback and a fast swing speed to hit for power. However, that doesn't mean he needs to or he should because he is stronger.

Andre Agassi had a short takeback and was he the strongest player on tour? Hardly. However, he did have excellent timing and because he liked taking the ball on the rise, the shorter takeback allowed him to play multiple surfaces well.

Even Guga was known for shortening his takeback as he wanted to compete better on the hardcourts.

Further, it is also the elasticity in a players muscles that also help to increase racquet head speed. Some muscle bound players can't hit a ball with pace to save their lives unless they take a huge home run swing.

Whoever said this to you does not understand the dynamics and variables that go into swinging a racquet.

mauri_99
12-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Please do not believe that. There are many variables in why a player likes a certain type of swing. Nearly all good tennis players take the racquet back and keep the head of the racquet on the same side as the contact side.

The strength of the player does not dictate how short they swing the racquet because technically if you assume Nadal is the strongest player on tour, he should be using a takeback that resembles a volley to hit his groundies.

Further, the takeback does not translate into more momentum or faster swing speeds alone. A player that knows how to transfer energy through his body better can afford to use a short takeback and a fast swing speed to hit for power. However, that doesn't mean he needs to or he should because he is stronger.

Andre Agassi had a short takeback and was he the strongest player on tour? Hardly. However, he did have excellent timing and because he liked taking the ball on the rise, the shorter takeback allowed him to play multiple surfaces well.

Even Guga was known for shortening his takeback as he wanted to compete better on the hardcourts.

Further, it is also the elasticity in a players muscles that also help to increase racquet head speed. Some muscle bound players can't hit a ball with pace to save their lives unless they take a huge home run swing.

Whoever said this to you does not understand the dynamics and variables that go into swinging a racquet.

yes you are true but those guys you mentioned didnt have an extreme grip like Nadal or Djokovic
with a conservative grip is obviously easier to hit with more pace because you hit more thorugh the ball but with a western grip you have to hit harder because the normal swing is more up that is why nadal gives ridiculous top spin to the ball. because his backswing is more take the racket down to his feet and hit
but Novak backswing is take the racket far behind and up so that you can see more or less a letter "C" when he is hiting the ball.

Bungalo Bill
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
yes you are true but those guys you mentioned didnt have an extreme grip like Nadal or Djokovic
with a conservative grip is obviously easier to hit with more pace because you hit more thorugh the ball but with a western grip you have to hit harder because the normal swing is more up that is why nadal gives ridiculous top spin to the ball. because his backswing is more take the racket down to his feet and hit
but Novak backswing is take the racket far behind and up so that you can see more or less a letter "C" when he is hiting the ball.

Doesnt matter. There is little to no association to a players strength and the length of their backswing.

LeeD
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Agassi SAID he used the shorter backswing because he tended to stand right atop the baseline, taking many balls on the rise. He didn't like standing 8' behind the baseline and trading big blows.
Courier another with shorter swing, but he was strong.
Nadal uses a longish stroke and his strong, but he hits HARDER, with more spin and lots of speed, than many other pros.
Hewitt is a little tyke using long strokes. Grooved long strokes to be sure, but long.
Gonzalez another shortie, and long loopy strokes.
You might say McEnroe wasn't strong, but he also didn't hit groundies hard, he had superior placement.
So sure, timing is the most important with correct form, but little guys need longer swings to accelerate the ball, while the Karlovics, DelPorto's, Querry's, and Isners can hit hard with shorter strokes FOR THEIR SIZE.
Just like TimLincicum needs a really long, elaborate motion, while RandyJohnson, a foot taller, needs only to rear back and toss it.

sawedust
12-01-2009, 03:29 PM

LOL. Don't have an extreme grip like Nadal or Djokovic.

Guga surpasses them both on forehand AND backhand sides.

Listen to Bill, he knows what he's talking about.

junbumkim
12-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I tend to prefer shorter backswing because there is less that can go wrong, and you can adjust quicker.

The bottom line is you can take as big of backswing as you want as long as you get under the ball before you start your forward swing.

With longer swing, I think you have more time to build up more momentum.

Consider Thomas Muster, he had EXTREME western grip so did Brugeura. Their backswing was real compact.
BTW, Nadal's forehand grip isn't much more extreme than good old regular semi-western grip.

Atomicman
09-01-2013, 04:34 PM
but Novak backswing is take the racket far behind and up so that you can see more or less a letter "C" when he is hiting the ball.Bull! Total Bs

their swings are almost identical.

the important part is learning to naturally lay your wrist back and learn the racquet lag.

On your back swing the racquet should point away from you (to the right if you are right handed) and then you as you let you arm go back to the six o'Clock position your string bed should be flat parallel with the ground but your racquet continues to travel back more before you pull the grip through with the butt cap pointing straight at the ball again wrist laid back racquet lagging. Of course this is an open stance forehand.

Watch this video. Should be very helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJJS3d2N1c

SystemicAnomaly
09-02-2013, 01:27 AM
It is doubtful that mauri_99 will ever see your reply. This thread is nearly 4 years old and this poster has not ben active at all for more than 3 years. Sadly, Bungalo Bill has not been active for quite a while either.

Atomicman
09-02-2013, 10:17 AM
It is doubtful that mauri_99 will ever see your reply. This thread is nearly 4 years old and this poster has not ben active at all for more than 3 years. Sadly, Bungalo Bill has not been active for quite a while either.

.Yeah, I figured that, but you never know who it may help!