PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a small crack in racquet?

Funbun
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I got a small crack on one point around the frame of my racquet. It's small, but it goes around the racquet. It doesn't seem to affect my performance, nor does it appear to snap apart at any time.

Can I fix this crack in some way? Or at least apply something on it to "bandage" it?

Also, rather importantly, can I still restring my racquet? Or will it just fall apart while restringing?

I really don't want to hog my parent's money to buy another one for Xmas.

Funbun
11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
The paint's obviously chipped around that part of the racquet, too, but it's only really small.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
if you mean its a crack going along the surface of the beam, it should be fine. it is probably a crack by hitting the racket on the floor thus causing stress on the paint.
it should be fine

kcmiser
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure what you are describing, but it sounds like a little hairline fracture. My Babolat developed those in various areas. I put superglue on them, which seemed to stop them from spreading. I chose superglue because it's very cheap, easily available, extremely strong, and very, very thin (like a liquid) as you apply it, so I figured it would seep into the tiny cracks and hold things together. The cracks stopped spreading after I applied it, so I've been happy, but your situation may be different.

[d]ragon
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I had a K6.1 in my possession. One day I noticed a small crack in the throat. Didn't think much of it. Kept hitting with it abit. Crack didn't grow. Ok maybe it's just a paint crack or its just a really minor crack. Didn't play with it for awhile. Then I took it out for a spin again. Hitting with it felt very flat. Restrung it. Still felt flat and limp, dead. After awhile my wrist started hurting and it would go away immediately after switching frames.

Lesson: once it's cracked, it's only a matter of time before it goes

Fedace
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
You can dip it in the molten metal bath in the steel mill...

khw72004
11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
you could always buy a new one.

quest01
11-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Would doing this make the racquet unplayable?

Kick Serve 14
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM

do you censor yourself? or just write everything that comes to mind in the name of adding to your post count? Honestly....
anyways, you might be able to play with it, though i cant gaurentee how well it will preform... when it comes time to restring it, check the crack, if it has spread replace the racket, if not, see think about how it preforms with the crack in comparison to before, then make your decision...

Fedace
11-30-2009, 06:15 PM
do you censor yourself? or just write everything that comes to mind in the name of adding to your post count? Honestly....
anyways, you might be able to play with it, though i cant gaurentee how well it will preform... when it comes time to restring it, check the crack, if it has spread replace the racket, if not, see think about how it preforms with the crack in comparison to before, then make your decision...

My point is this. If Racket is cracked,,, even a small crack, for sure,, dump it. At first you will think, racket is playing ok then you realize your control isn't as good as before. and you will wonder, maybe i just suck today.....then you find out that the racket is twisting on impact and that is why you are losing control.

volleynets
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

you are my favorite poster.

SuperDuy
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

yeah dude, couldnt of said it better myself!

Kick Serve 14
11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
My point is this. If Racket is cracked,,, even a small crack, for sure,, dump it. At first you will think, racket is playing ok then you realize your control isn't as good as before. and you will wonder, maybe i just suck today.....then you find out that the racket is twisting on impact and that is why you are losing control.

okay... then put it like that... or be silent. as my dad tells me: It is better to be quiet and give the impression that you are intelligent, rather than say something and eliminate all doubt...

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Throw it in the wastebasket.

Kick Serve 14
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
on a related note:
I have a question for all posters, excluding Fedace, unless he gives intelligent information.
I have a racket, in which on several spots, the paint is scratched so that i can see the bare graphite.... it is not cracked... so what i am wondering is if my racket will be fine to play with, or if it will die a slow painful death.... i played with it recently, and it seemed fine, but i would like to hear responces from intelligent posters...

Fedace
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
on a related note:
I have a question for all posters, excluding Fedace, unless he gives intelligent information.
I have a racket, in which on several spots, the paint is scratched so that i can see the bare graphite.... it is not cracked... so what i am wondering is if my racket will be fine to play with, or if it will die a slow painful death.... i played with it recently, and it seemed fine, but i would like to hear responces from intelligent posters...

Sounds like Paint chip which will not affect play at all...

Kick Serve 14
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Sounds like Paint chip which will not affect play at all...

that's what i assumed, however, since it goes all the way to the graphite, i was not sure if i should take any extra precautions about preventing my racket from being damaged any further...

Fedace
11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
that's what i assumed, however, since it goes all the way to the graphite, i was not sure if i should take any extra precautions about preventing my racket from being damaged any further...

Babolat Head tape will cover it up and give some protection...

Kick Serve 14
11-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Babolat Head tape will cover it up and give some protection...

no, this is just outside the range of the tape, i already tried it and it doesn't reach, but then again i guess i coujl use 2 layers, one extending more onto one side than the other to protect the whole frame...

coolblue123
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
10 years back when I was playing with a cracked Kawasaki racquet. (It looks very similar to either a Yonex or a PK). Believe it or not, I put white out in there. Seems to be good for 6 months till it cracked again. Unfortunately, couldn't find another Kawasaki racquet.

Funbun
12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Odd, another Marylander.

Did you recognize a change in feel or anything on the Kawasaki? Did you restring it much during that time? I might try white-out; super glue and head tape are inaccessible to me. Plus, super glue's kinda risky.

khw72004
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm wondering if you remember the model or the Kawasaki racket you had. I believe I have 2, one is 100% graphite I think the model is "silver shot" (when I find it I will double check). I haven't played with it cause I have too many rackets now and not enough time.

Bent
12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Pics would be nice:-)

Well, I repaired a PC 600 once.

It had a inch crack. Not a critical place, but still.

I removed the grommets. Took a metal saw and sawed a clean line as deep as the graphite.

Filled with 2 component epoxy glue (Araldit). After drying, sanded down carefully. Painted the small area wit a similar colour.

Very rewarding and and a good result with a small amount of energy+time. And free :-)

brownbearfalling
12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Bent:
how did the racquet play after you repaired it?
How long did you play with the racquet after you repaired it?
Did you saw the racquet veritcal or horizontal?
Interesting process you went through. I've never heard of anyone actually repairing a racquet. And the metal putty adhesive at the hardware store that i tried made the racquet way to heavy.

TheLama
12-02-2009, 05:37 AM
okay... then put it like that... or be silent. as my dad tells me: It is better to be quiet and give the impression that you are intelligent, rather than say something and eliminate all doubt...

"If one's words are no better than silence, then one should be silent"...Chinese Proverb.

MethodTennis
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
try electre if your in the uk you can send them and they will repair it at a small cost

Bent
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Bent:
how did the racquet play after you repaired it?
How long did you play with the racquet after you repaired it?
Did you saw the racquet veritcal or horizontal?
Interesting process you went through. I've never heard of anyone actually repairing a racquet. And the metal putty adhesive at the hardware store that i tried made the racquet way to heavy.

It played like a new racket. No strange sounds. Lust like the other identical rackets.

I strung it 2 weeks after to make sure it was hardened. A rather small amount of glue.

I sawed vertically along the crack.

No problem. Fun. Rewarding.

kalic
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM
My stringer repairs smashed racquets with "liquid kevlar". I don't know what it is, but it works...

Mano
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Carbon rackets are basically weaved carbon fibers glued together with epoxy under high pressure and temperature. So the proper way to repair your racket is to use a epoxy glue, like Bent did.

I might try white-out; super glue and head tape are inaccessible to me. Plus, super glue's kinda risky.

If your racket has a crack, using super glue is not the risk you should worry about, it's the restringing and playing with it without proper repairment (read white-out) that should worry you.
But even with a epoxy glue, there is no guarantee it will last long. Maybe its time has just come to go to the everlasting tenniscourts.

frankyfrank94
04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
does using head tape affect racquet weight?