PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis may lose ATP tournament

JennyS
11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/10452956/Indianapolis-will-likely-lose-ATP-event

I wonder if they'll have a tournament to replace it. If so, I think they should have a tournament in an area of the country that doesn't have a tournament.

Fedace
11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/10452956/Indianapolis-will-likely-lose-ATP-event

I wonder if they'll have a tournament to replace it. If so, I think they should have a tournament in an area of the country that doesn't have a tournament.

I doubt small city like that would get a replacement tournament. I would guess it will move to Bigger city with More money like Chicago....

Grigor#1fan
11-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Isn't it already a done deal? I heard Atlanta is getting that ATP spot.

JennyS
11-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I doubt small city like that would get a replacement tournament. I would guess it will move to Bigger city with More money like Chicago....

Yeah, it doesn't have to be a small city, just at least in a state that doesn't have a tournament.

dlk
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Isn't it already a done deal? I heard Atlanta is getting that ATP spot.

That's where it's going:cry:

Fedace
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it doesn't have to be a small city, just at least in a state that doesn't have a tournament.

When i flew out there couple of years ago, it was a pretty good tournament. It was hot as heck....but really nice HOT indiana university girls there, especially in the ticket booth.....I will miss them. :):)

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Killer, I live in Atlanta. Sorry Indianopolis.

dlk
11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Killer, I live in Atlanta. Sorry Indianopolis.

Yes, a bummer. Sponsor (Eli Lilly) would not commit soon enough it seems; economy?

Fedace
11-30-2009, 07:06 PM

You are not one of those hot girls in the ticket booth,, are you ?:)

kishnabe
11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Well the tournament was good why change it. Maybe Madrid should be taken off that this.

robow7
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I know it was several years ago now but Indy used to be the home of the national clays for men and women, and then it went to just the guys on hardcourt but for several years it was voted by the players as one of the best if not the best tourney to participate in because the way Indy went all out for the players. Of course the last couple of years, it's been a second tier tourney. So sad, been seeing matches there for over 25 years. :(

Lefty5
12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Where in Atlanta? Anybody know?

Tsonga#1fan
12-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Didn't Atlanta host a popular ATP indoor season indoor carpet tournament in years past? Back in the Edberg/Lendl era? I think it was at The Omni?

slice bh compliment
12-01-2009, 07:41 AM
When i flew out there couple of years ago, it was a pretty good tournament. It was hot as heck....but really nice HOT indiana university girls there, especially in the ticket booth.....I will miss them. :):)

I happen to know three of them. They miss you, too!

kwyjibo
12-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Yes, it was the Omni.

It will likely be in the Georgia Dome or the World Congress Center (re-vamped Omni).

Tsonga#1fan
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I love the city of Atlanta. I am glad they have another ATP tour event.

stanfordtennis alum
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
good to see the ATL get a big tment like this

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Looks like Roddick will be the highest ranked player there. Anyone know if this is right?

Fee
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
This is not a done deal and there are now whispers that the ATP is not going to reassign this spot on the calendar at all, not to Atlanta or anyone else. Stay tuned, this is still developing.

(It's possible that the ATP made a final decision on this at Board meetings last week and they just aren't talking yet, we'll see).

Fedace
12-01-2009, 04:12 PM
This is not a done deal and there are now whispers that the ATP is not going to reassign this spot on the calendar at all, not to Atlanta or anyone else. Stay tuned, this is still developing.

(It's possible that the ATP made a final decision on this at Board meetings last week and they just aren't talking yet, we'll see).

Then they are losing a tournament, which means losing money. How are they planning on making up the revenue ?

Fedace
12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I happen to know three of them. They miss you, too!

How do you know them ? and do you have their phone number or email adress ?

bluetrain4
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Too bad if it's true. Indy was a great, fan-friendly tourney.

SuperFly
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM

That's the first good thing I've ever seen you write. I'd love to have an ATP event in the Chi. :)

Fedace
12-01-2009, 04:28 PM
That's the first good thing I've ever seen you write. I'd love to have an ATP event in the Chi. :)

As the saying goes,, the Money talks....... Who would sponsor this tournament in Chicago ? Any large corporation have any interest ??

CCNM
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
to the people of Indianapolis-very sorry to hear this news...

slice bh compliment
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
How do you know them ? and do you have their phone number or email adress ?

Yes, which ones are you talking about? The Ribble sisters: Melissa and Monica or the statuesque sister with the kinky afro (Frodesia)?

Try them at:
first name . last name @ IU . edu \ desperate Standfordgrad / mailorderbride.net

Moose Malloy
12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I remember when this tournament was regularly voted the players favorite event on tour in the 90s. Some years it even had better fields than the Canadian Masters Series event.

SuperFly
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
As the saying goes,, the Money talks....... Who would sponsor this tournament in Chicago ? Any large corporation have any interest ??

No clue, but if I had to choose out of thin air maybe the CBOE will get into the action. Exchanges can sponsor tournaments too, just look at NASDAQ in Miami.

Fedace
12-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, which ones are you talking about? The Ribble sisters: Melissa and Monica or the statuesque sister with the kinky afro (Frodesia)?

Try them at:
first name . last name @ IU . edu \ desperate Standfordgrad / mailorderbride.net

You can set me up with that cute blonde that was there in the booth selling tickets...

Fedace
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
No clue, but if I had to choose out of thin air maybe the CBOE will get into the action. Exchanges can sponsor tournaments too, just look at NASDAQ in Miami.

Is the CEO or the Vice president a big tennis fan ? That is what usually gets the initial interest. That is how all these Golf tournaments get their sponsors...

robow7
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe Obama can come in and lobby for the ATP tourney to be held in Chicago..............then again, probably better not.

PhoenixRising7
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
The ATP has blocked the sale of Indianapolis to Atlanta and instead will altogether disband the tournament in an attempt to shorten the schedule.

No tournament for Atlanta, nor for anywhere else.

And Atlanta's previous tournament was not at the Omni. It was a clay-court tournament held at the Atlanta Athletic Club. Roddick's first career title. Stefan Koubek also won a title there.

Fee
12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
The ATP has blocked the sale of Indianapolis to Atlanta and instead will altogether disband the tournament in an attempt to shorten the schedule.

And Atlanta's previous tournament was not at the Omni. It was a clay-court tournament held at the Atlanta Athletic Club. Roddick's first career title. Stefan Koubek also won a title there.

Matt Cronin is the only one who is reporting this so far. I'm waiting for a few others to weigh in (Doug Robson, perhaps Bonnie Ford). From http://tennisreporters.net/

ATP Denies Indy Sale to Atlanta
TUESDAY, DEC. 1 - The ATP Tour has denied the sale of the Indianapolis tournament to Atlanta, TennisReporters.net has learned. In a meeting on Wednesday, the ATP Board of Directors exercised its first right of refusal for the transfer, stunning officials at USTA Southern, which had already approved the purchase of the mid-July event.

When negotiating to purchase the 80-year-old tournament, the ATP allegedly told Atlanta officials back in the late summer that it would not oppose the sale, but apparently under a mandate to shrink the tourís long calendar, the board voted to the kill the sanction.

Officials of the Southern Section, which represents a whopping 25 percent of the USTA's national membership, will appeal the decision on Monday.

While ATP CEO Adam Helfant has discussed shortening the schedule, which goes from the first of January through late November, itís surprising that the board chose to eliminate a mid-summer tournament, which has no effect on the end of the season.

The Indianapolis week is the first stop of the US Open Series, which has become a successful and highly identifiable component of the American summer tennis. Losing another tournament would be a decent-sized blow to US pro tennis, as well as to the sport internationally, as America remains tennisí biggest market.

There are those industry insiders who argue that the 250-level tournament has little value because few of the stars show up to play, but there are still plenty of players outside of the Top 10 (especially American ones) who are willing to play that week, and if there are thousands of fans in Americans hottest tennis city who are willing to watch them, thereís little reason why the tour should deny them the opportunity.

What the tour is also failing to consider is that Atlanta is home to some of nationís top corporations, many of which might be willing to invest in the tournament, and perhaps the sport as a whole to a larger degree.

With the ATP struggling to find sponsors, itís hard to conceive why it doesnít want to gain a foothold in that arena. Additionally, USTA Southern's nine-state base and influential leadership at the national helm, should provide additional clout to help make the tournament a success.

However, politically and economically, the tour has become much more orientated toward Europe and Asia, so Southern officials might find it a tough go to garner enough votes to reverse the decision.
Something doesn't make sense here, if this is an attempt to 'shorten the schedule'. The summer schedule is not dictated by the ATP, it's dictated by the Grand Slam Committee's placement of Wimbledon and the USO. If neither one of those is moving, then getting rid of Indy just leaves an empty week on the schedule, it doesn't shorten the season. Arent there clay events in Europe played the same week as Indy sometimes?

bluetrain4
12-02-2009, 12:46 AM

I remember there being a short-lived unofficial tournament at the Omni. It was basically a "serious" exhibition, I think. No ATP points but decent money and the players played as if any other tournament, not like a hit-and-laugh exhibition.

slice bh compliment
12-02-2009, 04:56 AM
You can set me up with that cute blonde that was there in the booth selling tickets...

That's Melissa (Mis) Ribble.
Belive me, that's not the one you want to date.

But if you'd like, send me a lonk to your social networking pages so she can discreetly see photos of you. And a writing sample.

Gemini
12-02-2009, 05:11 AM
I first saw that Atlanta was going to get the tourney on the USTA website. I have to admit that whether it happens or not (Atlanta getting the tourney), it'll fail just like the AT&T Challenge and the WTA stop that surfaced just after the '96 Olympics.

Atlanta/Atlantans have proven time and again that no matter how crazy they are about playing tennis, they're just not that excited about watching it live.

Also, the physical transportation and geography of Atlanta makes it a bear to host a tournament and expect decent crowd turnout. Atlanta will never be ready until they plant a major tennis facility in the heart of downtown because that's the only way people are going to show up.

chancep2120
12-02-2009, 05:54 AM
i live in indianapolis, and i thought the tournament was great. cinci is much better but i've went to the indy tournament like 6 years in a row

Fedace
12-02-2009, 05:23 PM
That's Melissa (Mis) Ribble.
Belive me, that's not the one you want to date.

But if you'd like, send me a lonk to your social networking pages so she can discreetly see photos of you. And a writing sample.

How do i know that you really know these girls and you are not just making this up....

widmerpool
12-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Great news for Atlanta!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/new-atp-event-coming-243111.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746

I just hope there's another venue besides Stone Mountain as that's not really Atlanta

jaggy
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I live in Bloomington just south of Indy so I will be sad to lose it but if we picked up a challenger I would be consoled somewhat, not as good but I am OK with watching the lower ranked guys.

Buckethead
12-17-2009, 04:14 PM
End of subject now folks.Atlanta is going to have an ATP 250 from July 17-25.

Gemini
12-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Great news for Atlanta!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/new-atp-event-coming-243111.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746

I just hope there's another venue besides Stone Mountain as that's not really Atlanta

I consider Stone Mountain as part of the metro Atlanta area. The issue is accessibility. The Stone Mountain tennis center and the Atlanta Athletic club are not easily accessible via public transit and Atlanta traffic SUCKS!!! So...the event will be here in 2010 and then move on to somewhere better suited in 2011.

amarone
12-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I saw an article saying that the venue had not been determined, but there are three candidates, including Atlanta Athletic Club. The other two were not named.

I don't know that Atlanta Athletic Club has hard courts. Certainly, the AT&T Challenge was on clay, and when I have played there it was clay.

Stone Mountain TC stadium is scheduled to be demolished. There is probably room around the next main court to erect temporary stadium seating, though.

Another possibility is Racquet Club of the South, which has stadium seating on the main court and mostly hard courts.

Gemini
12-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I saw an article saying that the venue had not been determined, but there are three candidates, including Atlanta Athletic Club. The other two were not named.

I don't know that Atlanta Athletic Club has hard courts. Certainly, the AT&T Challenge was on clay, and when I have played there it was clay.

Stone Mountain TC stadium is scheduled to be demolished. There is probably room around the next main court to erect temporary stadium seating, though.

Another possibility is Racquet Club of the South, which has stadium seating on the main court and mostly hard courts.

It's going to be a tough draw. I don't think RCS has the parking capacity for a major tour event. Also, there's no access via public transit.

Atlanta Athletic Club only has three indoor hard courts (side-by-side) that I know of so that's hardly an appropriate venue.

I'd love to see them construct a new tennis venue somewhere along the MARTA line. Chances of that happening are absolutely zero.

amarone
12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
It's going to be a tough draw. I don't think RCS has the parking capacity for a major tour event. Also, there's no access via public transit.

Atlanta Athletic Club only has three indoor hard courts (side-by-side) that I know of so that's hardly an appropriate venue.

I'd love to see them construct a new tennis venue somewhere along the MARTA line. Chances of that happening are absolutely zero.
I doubt that organizers will care much about public transit - there is very little in Atlanta anywhere. Even Turner Field doesn't have a MARTA stop. There have been exhibitions at RCS where park-and-ride has been set up (and was actually close enough to walk).

Stone Mountain TC doesn't have much parking either.

Gemini
12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I doubt that organizers will care much about public transit - there is very little in Atlanta anywhere. Even Turner Field doesn't have a MARTA stop. There have been exhibitions at RCS where park-and-ride has been set up (and was actually close enough to walk).

Stone Mountain TC doesn't have much parking either.

You're right. Turner field doesn't have a MARTA stop but somehow MARTA and the Braves have some sort of agreement where they run a shuttle from Five Points to the field. No need to pay an extra fare.

And you're right, Stone Mountain TC doesn't have much parking either. It's a pain in the a-- to get out to as well, but maybe the Target across the road will rent out some of its parking for the weekend matches?

pessimistic observer
12-22-2009, 08:40 AM
heres some attendance stats for you guys and shouldnt we consider talking this thread instead:Atlanta Tennis Championship (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302627&highlight=atlanta)
Indianapolis Tennis Center's Stadium~10,000
Stone Mountain Tennis Center's Stadium~8,000
Atlanta Athletic Club's Stadium~2.500
Racquet Club of The South's Stadium- unknown but less than 2,500

the last year of the Indanapolis saw attendance around 41,000 which was less than half its highest at 90,000+
the last year of atlantas old tournament was ~74,000 and ~70,000 the year before,over 9 days, which is pretty high considering how small the stadium was
also there was a marta stop a few hundred yards from the entrance of stone mountain park,not sure the route still goes there cause marta has been making lots of cuts, but as some of you may already know the entrance is 2-3 miles away from the tennis complex