PDA

View Full Version : Weeks at Number 1: Fed effectively passes Connors and Lendl?

OrangeOne
11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok, so I'm not one of those that spends hour after hour crunching rankings data, but if the weeks at number 1 now reads something like:

1. Pete Sampras 286
2. Ivan Lendl 270
3. Jimmy Connors 268
4. Roger Federer + 259*

Then one would have to think that unless something very, very unexpected happens in Melbourne, Connors and Lendl are effectively passed or thereabouts.

Given it was Nadal that had the good start to 2009 and not Federer too, one would think that a semi-decent start to the year and Sampras' number will be close to gone too....

OddJack
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the data...The way I see it he is safely past Connors and Lendl and then only needs 18-19 more weeks to take over sam. Nadal has much to lose in AO and if Fed makes the final of FO and W I dont see how he can lose the top spot anytime soon.

Rhino
11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah the great thing about finishing #1 at the end of the year is that he will get the next 7 weeks or something at #1 'for free' because nobody can effect the rankings between now and the AusOpen. Fed should pass Sampras with ease, especially the way nadal is playing.

MuseFan
11-30-2009, 06:19 PM
No doubt he will pass Sampras by June all consecutive weeks.

TheChosenOne
11-30-2009, 06:24 PM
At this point it is looking more likely for Roger to pass Pete. Unless we see a Nadal new and improved and where he left off early 2009 next year. Doubt that though.. To think Nadal is going to reclaim his AO title with the way he has been playing? Not likely. Though Wimbeldon and the French may get interesting. I dont see anyone out there right now stopping Fed though unless its Nadal. Murray and Djoker have yet to prove slam worthiness

volleynets
11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
At this point it is looking more likely for Roger to pass Pete. Unless we see a Nadal new and improved and where he left off early 2009 next year. Doubt that though.. To think Nadal is going to reclaim his AO title with the way he has been playing? Not likely. Though Wimbeldon and the French may get interesting. I dont see anyone out there right now stopping Fed though unless its Nadal. Murray and Djoker have yet to prove slam worthiness

I believe Del Potro is also a threat to Federer too at slams after all he is the first person to beat Federer in a slam final EVER whose name is not Nadal. He certainly proved he is there when he beat Federer this week too. Delpo could easily have been the FO champion.

I was really nervous that Federer would not get it on his best chance yet and Del Potro proved himself there not only winning his first set against Federer but being up 2-1 in sets. I would like to see a Nadal v Del Potro at the FO. Another good one would be Fed Vs Djoko at the FO. Those would be awesome FO Semifinals for 2010 and even better if Federer managed to take Nadal (not tired or injured or parents divorced or other excuse).

kishnabe
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I believe Del Potro is also a threat to Federer too at slams after all he is the first person to beat Federer in a slam final EVER whose name is not Nadal. He certainly proved he is there when he beat Federer this week too. Delpo could easily have been the FO champion.

I was really nervous that Federer would not get it on his best chance yet and Del Potro proved himself there not only winning his first set against Federer but being up 2-1 in sets. I would like to see a Nadal v Del Potro at the FO. Another good one would be Fed Vs Djoko at the FO. Those would be awesome FO Semifinals for 2010 and even better if Federer managed to take Nadal (not tired or injured or parents divorced or other excuse).

I agree both those semifinals will be superb. I also would like Gael Monfils quaters against Nadal. Just to see the running clay battle. I believe there is a heavy chance for Federer to pass Sampras even not in one stide but in many strides.

TheChosenOne
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Del Potro certainly has the ability to beat Fed. But Del Potro was also playing lights out tennis and the best of his career thus far at the USO. Im not so sure about Del Potro. Hes up in the air. I dont feel that he is going to be that consistent WINNER. Im not just talking about a consistent deep run slam player, but a player who can consistently win at big tournaments such as masters and slams, and take everyone out who stands in his way. Just not sold on the youngster yet though he could prove me wrong.

OddJack
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Del Potro certainly has the ability to beat Fed. But Del Potro was also playing lights out tennis and the best of his career thus far at the USO. Im not so sure about Del Potro. Hes up in the air. I dont feel that he is going to be that consistent WINNER. Im not just talking about a consistent deep run slam player, but a player who can consistently win at big tournaments such as masters and slams, and take everyone out who stands in his way. Just not sold on the youngster yet though he could prove me wrong.

This is what I have said also. I like the guy. He plays entertaining tennis. But not for long and my reasoning was his anatomy.

At any rate, he is not a threat for Rodge's top spot by june, where he would take over Pete's record.

MuseFan
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Del Potro is only 21. He has at least 3 years before his body starts breaking down. In those 3 years he can win a lot of titles.

OddJack
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Del Potro is only 21. He has at least 3 years before his body starts breaking down. In those 3 years he can win a lot of titles.

There is a difference with being 21 and 6'6". He is more prone to injuries. Why do you think he is the tallest slam winner in history? It takes alot more to haul that body around for 5 sets.
A lot of titles yes, but not many of them will be majors.

OrangeOne
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Agreed with the various comments on Delpo.

Agreed also with Rhino on the "Free" 7 weeks, hence the motivation for this thread. It seems the Connors and Lendl numbers are already passed, even though it's weeks in the future.

Starting to be fewer and fewer statistics in the way of any 'GOAT' discussion, and that's without looking at how he hits the ball (a basis on which I'd give it to him almost without the stats).

Tsonga#1fan
12-01-2009, 03:47 AM
The biggest advantage Roger has in his quest for getting that record for most weeks at #1, is that his hard court season (spring) last year sucked. He won't have an unreasonable amount of points to defend and combine that with Nadal's apparent lack of form going into next year, by Wimbledon next year (after Federer defends his title successfully of course) he will be knocking on the door.

OrangeOne
12-01-2009, 01:27 PM
by Wimbledon next year (after Federer defends his title successfully of course) he will be knocking on the door.

Wimbledon's in the 26th & 27th week of next year. He'll be on 263 at the end of this year (give or take a week). 22 more weeks to equal Sampras, 23 to pass.

If he holds on to #1 as many expect, (keeping in mind anything can happen - poor form, injury, etc), then by my very basic maths based on wiki current totals :) ....he'll equal and pass Sampras during (or very close to) the 2 weeks of the 2010 French Open!!

Sheesh, potentially another huge milestone for Federer during or next to a slam!

TMF
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
^And after that milestone, there’s only one more record left for Roger to catch, and that’s the 6 years end #1.

He’s still only 28 years old!

timnz
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
^And after that milestone, thereís only one more record left for Roger to catch, and thatís the 6 years end #1.

Heís still only 28 years old!

Love to see him get the record for most Wimbledon singles wins by a male player in history (not just in the open era) - 8. So 2 more to go, its a big ask, I wonder if he can do it?

Andy G
12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I just want to see him get to 300 weeks at #1 because no other male player has achieved that. Year end #1 is stupid. Player 'A' could be #1 for 51 weeks and Player 'B' could get some Davis Cup points in Dec. and pass him in week 52 and be year end #1. Completly ******** and meaningless. Why people talk about it so much is beyond me. I would also like to see him get 20 GS wins. Maybe 2 this year and next. Then he would only need 1 more after being 30. Now that I think about it, I also want to see him pass Agassi's 17 Masters titles. He should be able to get to 20 of those by retirement, though.

OrangeOne
12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
^And after that milestone, thereís only one more record left for Roger to catch, and thatís the 6 years end #1.

Heís still only 28 years old!

True on the only 28... amazing. A couple of good years left, even if not at the magic 04 to 07 level, who cares. As long as he keeps focussing on the slams.

I just want to see him get to 300 weeks at #1 because no other male player has achieved that.

It's kinda amazing that the top 4 are all bunched between 5 & 5.5 years. But yeah, 300 would be special, so would 312 which would be the first player to ever go 6 years (in total) at #1.

Year end #1 is stupid. Player 'A' could be #1 for 51 weeks and Player 'B' could get some Davis Cup points in Dec. and pass him in week 52 and be year end #1. Completly ******** and meaningless. Why people talk about it so much is beyond me.

Hardly ever gets focus here in aus, I wonder if it is one of those 'mostly american' things, and partly because an american holds the record.

I would also like to see him get 20 GS wins. Maybe 2 this year and next. Then he would only need 1 more after being 30. Now that I think about it, I also want to see him pass Agassi's 17 Masters titles. He should be able to get to 20 of those by retirement, though.

Hmmm, 20 is a big target, but it's not out of reach.

I still think his run of grand slam finals and grand slam semis is still one of the most impressive stats ever. To be that consistent is something the game has never seen, and may never again. Almost all of the past number 1s (with the exception of the previous semi-record, lendl) have occasionally been vulnerable early on, let alone in quarters, or on their least preferred surface....

dlk
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
No doubt he will pass Sampras by June all consecutive weeks.

Bumping this statement.

MuseFan
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
By the time Federer retires he will have:

19 GS titles(4 AO, 2FO, 8 Wimby, 5 US Open)
20 Masters
6 YEC titles
7 YE#1 finishes
300+ weeks at #1
75 total ATP titles

TMF
12-01-2009, 04:02 PM

20 Masters
6 YEC titles
7 YE#1 finishes
300+ weeks at #1
75 total ATP titles

If your wish came true, this will leave Sampras and Laver in the dust!

MuseFan
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM
If your wish came true, this will leave Sampras and Laver in the dust!

If anyone can do it - Roger can!

Andy G
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM

20 Masters
6 YEC titles
7 YE#1 finishes
300+ weeks at #1
75 total ATP titles

I agree to the point of,

20 GS, same as you except 6 USO Titles
25 Masters Titles
at least 80 total titles
everything else the same

And as TMF said, Laver and Sampras can eat it. They'll dry their tears in RF hankies.

dlk
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Possibly, I realistically see as many as 22 GS titles.