PDA

View Full Version : Editing video files help

thehustler
11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Does anybody know of a good program that's easy to use to edit video files? I have a tivo and have transferred some recordings to my laptop. I can easily burn them, but I would like to easily be able to remove commercials. I currently have MyDVD Studio, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way in the program to edit the files. I tried something it has, but it didn't seem to do what I wanted. I would prefer freeware if possible, trialware is ok as long as I can edit what I need. I'm not into spending $100's on something. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

fed_the_savior
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
virtualdub is decent

Bottle Rocket
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Mac or PC? If a PC, do you have Windows 7?

thehustler
12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
PC, Windows XP. Sorry forgot to mention that.

LightningZI
12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Edit as in Clip editing with Video FX and Transitions or some other kind of editing..

thehustler
12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I just want to remove commercials from some awesome tennis matches I have recorded. I would basically just like a dvd of a tennis match with no commercials and just the match play only.

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Use a Mac. It will be a lot easier

LightningZI
12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Alright, Then just get Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 (Or whatever version came out now..) All you have to do is drag your video clip down the to timeline, Get the line at the starting frame of the commercial, Press S key while highlighting that clip to cut it. Then cut it at the end of the commercial and repeat for all commercials, Then just drag each clip next to each other..

Go to

File > Render As

Render it as whatever you feel like, You can do HD settings. Render it, Then burn using Roxio or some other Dvd burner.

To find Vegas, Just go to google type Sony Vegas Download and go to the Sony site for the 30 day trial.

thehustler
12-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Use a Mac. It will be a lot easier

Sigh. There's always one. I don't care for a Mac. I don't have money to waste. I'm not an idiot on a computer, I just need something simple to use.

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I have been video editing since the early days of digital, and non digital. One of the best programs that I liked was Adobe Premiere. I use both PC and Mac. Sony Vegas products can get quite expensive. Microsoft "Moviemaker" is a joke. . . . but the iMovie is soooo awesome and so easy to use. Combine it with iDVD and you get a great quality output.

i can tell you one thing, once you try to open this can of worms on the PC, and you are in for quite a ride. Standard El Cheapo video editors can do a decent job on avi files taken and captured from video cams, but can not edit mpeg2's and TIVO files. Also, it is slow as heck.

You will have to get several programs to convert and counter convert, etc.

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Up until about a couple years ago, I insisted that I did not like any kind of macs, iphones, ipot, any apple products.

Now, I love Apple products. I am willing to fork out the extra bucks. It is worth it. Once you use an IBOOK PRO . . . . a laptop such as a DELL with it's MS VISTA or what ever OS really shows the limitations + the viruses.

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Okay, if you really want to use a PC, there is one software that is reasonably inexpensive that will handle editing MPEG2 files. I too was in need of a simple way to handle modifying mpeg2 video files. It seemed like a simple question, but no one seemed to understand what I needed. I had to try different ones by trial and error . . . .

spacediver
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
virtualdub is decent

what fed said.

free, powerful, simple, and lean.