View Full Version : Nadal has lost muscle mass

JoshDragon
11-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Take a look at this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Nadal_vs_Federer_RG_2007.jpg

http://www.puntodebreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/2007nadal.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3457/3241205178_d741c2a178.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUCOy2cMkI&feature=related

Now look at this video. I'm not surprised that he switched from a sleeveless shirt to a polo, he obviously doesn't look as ripped as he did 2 years ago.

Vyse
11-30-2009, 10:01 PM
it appears he is losing weight as his game is transitioning to something of a bit more well rounded game. There will be less stress on his knees and body from having less weight and this should be something to take into account as well. I think Nadal has been trying some new things over his last few tournaments including the WTF which is why his results haven't been there. But soon, Nadal will be back better than ever

Blinkism
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Nadal, during his doubles match in Montreal - August 2009
http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef0120a4e2857c970b-pihttp://www.cyberpresse.ca/images/bizphotos/569x379/200908/11/100049-rafael-nadal.jpg
Doesn't look like he lost too much muscle, IMO ^^^^

Nadal, walking off court after practice in New York - August 2009
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/08/0831_rafael_nadal_1054673_inf.jpg
And that's his right arm!!! ^^^^

IvanAndreevich
11-30-2009, 10:37 PM
^ Exactly. People can always choose the photos to "show" Nadal has lost muscle. If that's what they are looking for.

MuseFan
11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Why doesn't Nadal go back to muscle shirt?

CMM
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
:cry:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3589/toninadalnormalrafamora.jpg

RafaBrain
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
imo, Nadal has not lost much muscle mass, but more on mental mass.

edmondsm
11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Maybe a little. That's what will happen when you play half as much tennis as you are used too.

Pink_Shirt
11-30-2009, 11:39 PM
I think he lost the weight to ease the pressure on his knees, just a theory though.

Omega_7000
12-01-2009, 04:24 AM
People here see what they want to see...

Gen
12-01-2009, 05:15 AM
It became a local tradition to have a thread dedicated to Nadal's weight every other week. Mods, why don't we have a separate forum where all the weight-concerned guys can quietly discuss this fascinating subject 24/7/365.

marpiw
12-01-2009, 05:29 AM
At the light of all his latest mishaps and sport results I think that Nadal is losing everything lately...not only his muscle mass...
It will be very difficult for him to recover the leadership of the ATP standings taking into account that another players such as Del Potro,Verdasco,Djokovic,Davydenko,etc are advancing very much in their effectiveness...
Even if he is very young I would reccommend him to strart thinking on retirement...sorry...

CMM
12-01-2009, 05:36 AM
At the light of all his latest mishaps and sport results I think that Nadal is losing everything lately...not only his muscle mass...
It will be very difficult for him to recover the leadership of the ATP standings taking into account that another players such as Del Potro,Verdasco,Djokovic,Davydenko,etc are advancing very much in their effectiveness...
Even if he is very young I would reccommend him to strart thinking on retirement...sorry...
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1594/nadalm.jpg

Blinkism
12-01-2009, 05:40 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31M9WVG9tLL._AA280_.jpg

And I recommend that you start thinking about a basic formal education.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 05:42 AM
This is what happens when you stop cold turkey.

Blinkism
12-01-2009, 05:45 AM
http://www.tfaoi.com/am/8am/8am77.jpg

marpiw
12-01-2009, 05:55 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31M9WVG9tLL._AA280_.jpg

And I recommend that you start thinking about a basic formal education.What is basic formal education?...Never to say what you are thinking?...that has never been my basic formal education...the Argentinian Military Governments have taught me that freedom of speech is the best way to make yourself understood...

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-01-2009, 05:58 AM
I think he lost the weight to ease the pressure on his knees, just a theory though.

This makes sense however he has also lost foot speed. I dont get it.

klementine79
12-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Ok.

Looking at some of the photos that have been posted, I admit-- Nadal doesn't seem to have used/ is using steroids.

I was speculating from some photos that I had seen ( where there was more of a drastic difference between photos ) that the only explanation would be PED's.

I retract every comment I made based on my belief.

Nadal looks like he might have lost some 'meat' in his legs.. but the torso seems static/unchanged.

Again-- this is probably due to his transition from a hustle, power-baseline game to a more (at least trying to) 'all-court' game.

settolove
12-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Mark Philippoussis on Simon Mayo's show on BBC Radio Five Live said that Nadal has dropped fifteen pounds. Someone asked a question about whether Nadal was going to go down his road. Listen again should be available later, he came in after 2:30.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 06:14 AM
It's amazing that people think steroids immediately means one will have huge muscles.

Steroids are taken for a number of different reasons.

On another note, Nadal has definitely lost weight/muscle mass. Is this due to a stop in "steroids", a change in eating/training habits, etc?

Was he using another substance? EPO perhaps? and has stopped using??? I believe he has.

TheMusicLover
12-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Mark Philippoussis on Simon Mayo's show on BBC Radio Five Live said that Nadal has dropped fifteen pounds. Someone asked a question about whether Nadal was going to go down his road. Listen again should be available later, he came in after 2:30.

I didn't know Scud was Nadal's doctor nowadays.

Rabbit
12-01-2009, 07:08 AM

yeah, I heard he lost the weight by quit taking juice

TMF
12-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Nadal has to regain his old muscle back if he wants to compete against these top ten players. Notice ever since he lost weight, they bullied him around.

TheMusicLover
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Nadal has to regain his old muscle back if he wants to compete against these top ten players. Notice ever since he lost weight, they bullied him around.

He hasn't lost that much at all. Look at the pictures Blinkism posted on the first page of this thread.

Recon
12-01-2009, 07:23 AM
clowns. how you go from picking a picture of nadal picking up his bags (emulating a bicep curl) OF COURSE ITS GOING TO APPEAR BIGGER. ITS FLEXED! Then you post a picture of his arm stretched out and say hes lost mass? Because its stretched and not flex. There seems to be a lack of knowledge on how muscles work around here, and im no expert but thats obvious. And if he has lost muscle, its not by much. Also while your playing adrenaline causes your muscles to expand, so that's why his left looks a lot bigger, but off court he goes back to being lean. Use your damn brains.

TMF
12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
He hasn't lost that much at all. Look at the pictures Blinkism posted on the first page of this thread.

But watching all of his matches lately, he doesn't look as strong as he's use to be. His shots isn't as penetrating, and the UFEs piled up. Lost of strength on his swing causes too many short ball coming back for the other players to crushed it. Also, he's been netting the ball too much lately, and i think it has to do with his weak swing. He needs to gain that power back to compete again these big boys, and i don't care it if takes steroid to do it. At this moment, he lost that edge.

TheMusicLover
12-01-2009, 07:37 AM
But watching all of his matches lately, he doesn't look as strong as he's use to be. His shots isn't as penetrating, and the UFEs piled up. Lost of strength on his swing causes too many short ball coming back for the other players to crushed it. Also, he's been netting the ball too much lately, and i think it has to do with his weak swing. He needs to gain that power back to compete again these big boys, and i don't care it if takes steroid to do it. At this moment, he lost that edge.

Oh, I agree that he doesn't come across as stronglately as he used to, but is that necessarilly due to muscle loss? I don't think so. It's called a 'slump' - and it happens to all players once in a while. No big deal, he'll get out of it.

And you wouldn't care if he'd need steroids? Well I most certainly would, as that would essentially mean that he's cheating, and I'm pretty sure he'd never want to do that.

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 07:54 AM

Yes I heard this!

It is clear for whatever reason that Nadal has lost quite a lot of weight. 15 lbs is quite a lot for anyone, certainly an athlete like Nadal. It was apparently according to Mark so that there is less weight/strain on his knees, which would make sense!

sureshs
12-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Yes I heard this!

It is clear for whatever reason that Nadal has lost quite a lot of weight. 15 lbs is quite a lot for anyone, certainly an athlete like Nadal. It was apparently according to Mark so that there is less weight/strain on his knees, which would make sense!

Roddick also lost 15 lbs last winter in preparation for 2009, working with Stefanki.

Nadal has lost weight to ease the load on his knees.

TMF
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh, I agree that he doesn't come across as stronglately as he used to, but is that necessarilly due to muscle loss? I don't think so. It's called a 'slump' - and it happens to all players once in a while. No big deal, he'll get out of it.

And you wouldn't care if he'd need steroids? Well I most certainly would, as that would essentially mean that he's cheating, and I'm pretty sure he'd never want to do that.

Of course it bothers me if he was cheating. What I meant was whatever it takes to get him back to the usual form, then he can compete at a high level. Notice this year AO, he won back to back matches in 5 brutal sets against Verdasco and Federer. Rafas current form would never have that energy and strength to beat them back to back.

namelessone
12-01-2009, 08:46 AM

First of all,Rafa was abused on HC even last year,when he was "using". Second,big muscles don't help you in tennis,in fact you will be fatigued faster because big muscles consume more oxigen.I for one am sick of the whole "is nadal's biceps smaller" contest. The weight loss is mostly in the legs people!!!

Nadal's problem is one of adjusting to his new "game"(if one can call it that),because he can't get any rhythm on his shots(his game was improving during USO but then he got sidelined again with stomach injury) and because he isn't as focused as before. It's a process,he is working on it,but he can't get a string together a few good games right now,let alone win tournaments.

Rafa has lost some racket head speed but it's not that significant.I have seen him hit like before in a few matches but he could rarely do it more than a few games at a time. His shots aren't really timed well nowadays(he is worse in practice as well from what I have heard) and to make it worse he is on a surface that takes time away from him. Also,he seems tentative to me,he doesn't seem to push his knees anymore and it seems to me that he has some problems playing on his BH side,he moves worse to the right than to the left from what I have seen.

Rafa has lost a bit of muscle from the upper body,has lost quite a lot from his legs and he has lost timing on his shots,not to mention confidence. I am looking forward to DC to see how he does on clay.

TMF
12-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Roddick also lost 15 lbs last winter in preparation for 2009, working with Stefanki.

Nadal has lost weight to ease the load on his knees.

Roddick lost 15 lbs of body fats, but Rafa lost muscles. Big difference.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
The weight loss is mostly in the legs people!!!

LOL.

I didn't realize he was placing his legs thru the arm holes in his shirt.

CMM
12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Today, I believe...
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1686/rafaele.jpg

drakulie
12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
^^^He looks thinner to me.

Thanks for confirming he has lost weight.

Bud
12-01-2009, 09:00 AM
clowns. how you go from picking a picture of nadal picking up his bags (emulating a bicep curl) OF COURSE ITS GOING TO APPEAR BIGGER. ITS FLEXED! Then you post a picture of his arm stretched out and say hes lost mass? Because its stretched and not flex. There seems to be a lack of knowledge on how muscles work around here, and im no expert but thats obvious. And if he has lost muscle, its not by much. Also while your playing adrenaline causes your muscles to expand, so that's why his left looks a lot bigger, but off court he goes back to being lean. Use your damn brains.

Agreed. There are many ***** on this forum who do not use common sense.

TennisandMusic
12-01-2009, 09:02 AM

And where exactly is the weight gone from?

For someone who goes around insulting just about everyone for being an ignoramous, you sure should take a look in the mirror sometime.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
And where exactly is the weight gone from?

from his toes.

Bud
12-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Today, I believe...
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1686/rafaele.jpg

Uh oh... he's 'using' again! :roll:

Rafa... able to go from wimp to muscle bound within the span of 3 days!

gsharma
12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Drakulie, can you please post your stats? Age, weight, height, training history. Maybe best bench-press, best squat and deadlift. I'm curious to know what kind of a training background you have as you seem to know a lot about muscle mass, athletes and strength training.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
^^^what does any of that have to do with me looking at a player and seeing he is thinner? BTW, my eyesight is 20/20, FYI.

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Nadal has admitted to losing 15lbs according to Mark Philippoussis!

Losing weight is not likely to have a huge impact on his game. Nadal has clearly lost confidence at the moment, and it will be interesting to see if he gets it back soon!

The game of tennis needs a confident/fit Nadal at the moment. He had more fans at the O2 than anyone, along with Federer!

drakulie
12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

In that case,,,,, according to the hysterical, love-struck Nadal fans on this board, that would make Nadal a Rafa hater.

gsharma
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
It's amazing that people think steroids immediately means one will have huge muscles.

Steroids are taken for a number of different reasons.

On another note, Nadal has definitely lost weight/muscle mass. Is this due to a stop in "steroids", a change in eating/training habits, etc?

Was he using another substance? EPO perhaps? and has stopped using??? I believe he has.

Based on your above statement, you are implying that you have above average knowledge of human physiology, endrocrine system as you seem to know what the players are taking and when they stop taking PE substances.

It's not a trick question, I just want to know your training history. Height, weight, # of years training, best bench press, best squat/deadlift. Don't be shy, I will take your statements at face-value and not infer anything.

drakulie
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Based on your above statement, you are implying that you have above average knowledge of human physiology, endrocrine system as you seem to know what the players are taking and when they stop taking PE substances.

It's not a trick question, I just want to know your training history. Height, weight, # of years training, best bench press, best squat/deadlift. Don't be shy, I will take your statements at face-value and not infer anything.

and again, what does this have to do with seeing a player as being thinner???

Here is a link on EPO:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/epo.html

do your own research.

BTW, you never responded to my post in this thread:

You just proved to everyone by your ignorance that you have never played any sport competitively. In almost all injuries, the athlete is required to extensively rehab which more than often involves doing physical exercise other than their primary sport. Ever seen or heard injured players swimming, doing the stationary bike etc? In fact it's not uncommon to train your legs, for instance, when you have injured your shoulders or upper body. Like I said, your arguments are horribly weak. If you want to prove your point, give us a solid argument; Nadal playing exhibition games and not defending his title for the sake of tradition is facetious.

really?? You think so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYN8oGBlfPA

I played Tennis in highschool, college (scholarship), as well as baseball. Guess what ended my "tennis career"??? An injury to my shoulder. And I could tell you this, I sure as hell wasn't rehabbing on a tennis court "while injured". Not even close. Additionally, have suffered a knee injury during that time. Again, didn't rehab on a tennis court. Lastly, I know what it is like to play hurt, and not 100%. I've never withdrawn from a match or tournament because of either.

try again, and let us know when you can actually hit a ball over the net.

Now, go buy yourself a pair of glasses.

gsharma
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
and again, what does this have to do with seeing a player as being thinner???

Here is a link on EPO:

do your own research.

BTW, you never responded to my post in this thread:

Now, go buy yourself a pair of glasses.

Unlike you, I not on these forums everyday, for multiple hours a day and I did not see your post. To answer you question, I'm now a 4.5 players, was on my tennis team (division I).

How are you so familiar with spotting someone who took EPO? Did you take it at some point?

How come you didn't answer my question about your training history?

CMM
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
really?? You think so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYN8oGBlfPA

I played Tennis in highschool, college (scholarship), as well as baseball. Guess what ended my "tennis career"??? An injury to my shoulder. And I could tell you this, I sure as hell wasn't rehabbing on a tennis court "while injured". Not even close. Additionally, have suffered a knee injury during that time. Again, didn't rehab on a tennis court. Lastly, I know what it is like to play hurt, and not 100%. I've never withdrawn from a match or tournament because of either.

try again, and let us know when you can actually hit a ball over the net.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1934/homealonecrop.jpg

You're a grown man!

BigServer1
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
His polos definitely make him look smaller, but I think he is thinner overall. I dunno if it's 15 pounds, but it's something. Look at videos from 2006/2007/2008 and he just looks a lot bigger than he is now. Again, I think part of that is the shirts, but it can't account for all of it.

CMM
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Here is a link on EPO:

Nadal would never use this because it's very dangerous. He wouldn't have any reason to risk his life for tennis, knowing that he always had money and a good education.

sureshs
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Roddick lost 15 lbs of body fats, but Rafa lost muscles. Big difference.

That is because Roddick was not on steroids.

TMF
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
That is because Roddick was not on steroids.

All I can say is Roddick lost 15 lbs and clearly it improved his movements. His court coverage is better and helps him to rally longer than before. However, Nadal is the opposite according to his fans....Rafa lost 15lbs and now hes slower and can't consistently in keeping more than 10 strokes in a rally. You may be right about steroids.

sureshs
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
All I can say is Roddick lost 15 lbs and clearly it improved his movements. His court coverage is better and helps him to rally longer than before. However, Nadal is the opposite according to his fans....Rafa lost 15lbs and now hes slower and can't consistently in keeping more than 10 strokes in a rally. You may be right about steroids.

He also had an abdominal tear. Plus he is mentally weak now. In any case, it is difficult to keep up the momentum. If you play at a level when you can thrash Federer in 3 consecutive Slam finals, the drop will be painful. Higher you go, the more you fall.

TennezSport
12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
When a player at any level consistently has injuries there will come a time when he/she will begin to lose confidence in their abilities. With a totally physical game like Rafa has this was inevitable. He may be afraid to push too hard for fear of re-injury and it will take time to regain confidence.

Now that he has strained his back, that will only add to the lack of confidence. I think the loss of weight was an attempt to save his knees, but it will also put stress on other parts of his body to regain form. I think Rafa will come back strong next year, but it's going to get very difficult for him to maintain it, if injuries return.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Lots of people close to the sport have said Rafa is smaller. I trust their judgement more than I trust some biased *********s, especially since he also seems less explosive.

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Nadal would never use this because it's very dangerous. He wouldn't have any reason to risk his life for tennis, knowing that he always had money and a good education.

EPO is not dangerous, it's the abuse that is. It's also dangerous to drink ten liters of orange juice.

JennyS
12-01-2009, 01:27 PM
In that case,,,,, according to the hysterical, love-struck Nadal fans on this board, that would make Nadal a Rafa hater.

LOL, nice one!

I think it's obvious that he's thinner. His face looks a lot thinner than in previous years.

timnz
12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Nadal, during his doubles match in Montreal - August 2009
http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef0120a4e2857c970b-pihttp://www.cyberpresse.ca/images/bizphotos/569x379/200908/11/100049-rafael-nadal.jpg
Doesn't look like he lost too much muscle, IMO ^^^^

Nadal, walking off court after practice in New York - August 2009
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/08/0831_rafael_nadal_1054673_inf.jpg
And that's his right arm!!! ^^^^

Exactly. Hence, it doesn't establish anything. His left arm would have been a better view since he plays left handed.

All-rounder
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
People are comparing nadal of august 2009 to nadal of november 2009. Lool don't make me laugh.

Compate nadal from FO 05 to FO 09 then you will see your real difference

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Still looks fit

TMF
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
People are comparing nadal of august 2009 to nadal of november 2009. Lool don't make me laugh.

Compate nadal from FO 05 to FO 09 then you will see your real difference

Who are they trying to fool? As if they think people in here are kindergarten.:roll:

settolove
12-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't know Scud was Nadal's doctor nowadays.

Neither did I. I guess you learn something new every day :rolleyes:

The interview is available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070ltf 1/12/09. Starts about 1hr 50mins in. I don't know if it works outside the UK. The interview was about 15 - 20 minutes. Pretty interesting even ignoring his talk about Nadal.

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
wow...all of you are ********. he probably lost weight. he's not on steroids. he can't be. his weight is equally rational with what it is supposed to be. if he was 220 pounds and 6 feet tall, then yeah he would have more muscle mass than most 6 foot people are. but he is 180 pounds. he cannot be on steroids. he might of used "creatine". it helps with athletic performance and it is completely legal. i use it. it helps with muscle repair and protein synthesis. the problem is that it holds water in your muscle tissue, which can cause dehydration. if you stop using it, your muscle's loose volume. maybe he used that and stopped using it to keep his weight down. but as i said you guys need to think like adults and stop saying that he uses steroids. i know guys three times as big that are not on steroids. also he doesn't have a six pack. meaning that his BMI or fat percentage must be above 10%.

You are an idiot. Nadal isn't heavier than he is (86 kg according to himself) because it would affect key aspects of his game such as stamina, quickness and agility negatively. A clay court grinder is never gonna way anywhere near 220 lbs (100 kg) whether on steroids or not, unless he is absolutely ********. A tennis player would use steroids to improve his recovery and strength, not to bulk up so much that it would hamper his game, genius. Bernard Kohl, Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis were all on steroids. Now go ahead and picture google them to see how "huge" they are...

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM
It's "weigh", I know.

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Maybe Nadal had really heavy hair, as he's lost lots of that:)

Annika
12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
His neck is not as thick as it use to be; nor his shoulders and upper arms. I think he's his normal size now. Dare I saw what I think he was taking? :shock:

Rhino
12-01-2009, 06:39 PM
He had to get lighter so that he could save his knees.

Annika
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
You don't lose and gain weight in your neck. :)

drakulie
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
To answer you question, I'm now a 4.5 players, was on my tennis team (division I).

I never asked you a question. Go back, read and try to comprehend.

How are you so familiar with spotting someone who took EPO?

For starters, unlike YOU, I read, and more importantly comprehend what I'm reading.

Did you take it at some point?

What does this have to do with anything? I've never eaten a pile of ***** either, but can tell you it won't taste good. Do you have a different opion based on personal experience?

How come you didn't answer my question about your training history?

I alread did. Like I said, go back and read.

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.****************.com/showpost.php?p=9377030&postcount=9

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/General/2007_04_30_NadalFederer2_article.jpghttp://timesonline.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451586c69e2012875cf5575970c-400wi

CMM
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
EPO is not dangerous, it's the abuse that is. It's also dangerous to drink ten liters of orange juice.

EPO IS DANGEROUS. Nadal wouldn't use this thing.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4836/londreswtf1125rr2vsdavy.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8200/yy7.jpg

CMM
12-01-2009, 11:42 PM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/General/2007_04_30_NadalFederer2_article.jpghttp://timesonline.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451586c69e2012875cf5575970c-400wi
Yes, he was a boy and now he's a man.
And Rodge has a strange look.:shock:

TennisFan008
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Yes, he was a boy and now he's a man.
And Rodge has a strange look.:shock:

Huh? :-?
The left pic is from 2007 depicting a 21 year old Nadal. The right one is from London 2009. He has clearly lost weight.

Blinkism
12-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Exactly. Hence, it doesn't establish anything. His left arm would have been a better view since he plays left handed.

The first pair of photos is of his left arm.

Blinkism
12-02-2009, 12:22 AM
You're a grown man!

In fact, tennis was more difficult in drakulie's youth than it is now. Back then, they had to scare off all the dinosaurs from the courts to get any court time in.

jimbo333
12-02-2009, 02:54 AM

Losing weight is not likely to have a huge impact on his game. Nadal has clearly lost confidence at the moment, and it will be interesting to see if he gets it back soon!

The game of tennis needs a confident/fit Nadal at the moment. He had more fans at the O2 than anyone, along with Federer!

I didn't get this originally, but now see this is very funny:)

Nadal has admitted to losing 15lbs, but some Nadal fans are still insisting he hasn't lost any weight!

namelessone
12-02-2009, 03:02 AM
From a recent Nadal interview,from 21st of November:

"All the time it happens,” Nadal says. “When somebody wins [something he last did in Rome six months ago] they look bigger, they have more muscle. A lot of people look and say, ‘This guy is losing weight’, but the fact is, I am exactly the same — 86 kilos. It is because I don’t wear the shirt without sleeves or the tight T-shirt. It is an impression. When I win again, they will say, ‘Look how big Rafa is!’ ”

This is the link:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6926050.ece

So either Rafa is lying or he needs a new scale. To me he has lost weight especially in the legs but he seems to have lost 2-3 kg from what I can tell. Some people suggested 5 Kg but that seems overkill to me.

Outbeyond
12-02-2009, 03:02 AM

Pure and simple: on the left, he's fat. On the right, he's not fat. So what?? The rest of the shots floating around this thread show Rafa-arms that don't look different from earlier pix of the guy's arms we've been privileged to see over the years...muscle and all. Where they say he may have lost some muscle is in his legs.

My guess is no one asked Rafa how much he weighed when that left shot was taken...then he may've reported he weighed too much!

jimbo333
12-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Maybe Nadal had really heavy hair, as he's lost lots of that:)

I still think this explains everything:)

namelessone
12-02-2009, 03:10 AM

Can't believe no one is commenting Fed's change,he went from a multiple GS champ, metrosexual icon with perfect hair and smooth looks to a short,fat,balding guy handing Rafa a pear shaped trophy.:)

jimbo333
12-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Can't believe no one is commenting Fed's change,he went from a multiple GS, metrosexual icon with perfect hair and smooth looks to a short,fat,balding guy handing Rafa a pear shaped trophy.:)

.......LOL:)

CMM
12-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Can't believe no one is commenting Fed's change,he went from a multiple GS champ, metrosexual icon with perfect hair and smooth looks to a short,fat,balding guy handing Rafa a pear shaped trophy.:)
Ai vazut-o pe Sorana la sport.ro?

JennyS
12-02-2009, 06:27 AM

LOL, too funny!

bolo
12-02-2009, 07:33 AM

It's HUGE!

Recon
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
In fact, tennis was more difficult in drakulie's youth than it is now. Back then, they had to scare off all the dinosaurs from the courts to get any court time in.
ooooooooo shhhhhhhhhitaki mushrooms bro! thats messed up! Had me laughing for a good min. lol.

Bud
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
It's HUGE!

That's what she said :shock:

Annika
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Speaking of things that have been lost. Where are my two posts about Nadal's neck? :mad:

Cyan
12-02-2009, 02:16 PM

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8200/yy7.jpg

It's the grandpa clothes, so unflattering.

LiveForever
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
That's what she said :shock:
Damn it, sir. I was about to say that :)

veroniquem
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Pure and simple: on the left, he's fat. On the right, he's not fat. So what?? The rest of the shots floating around this thread show Rafa-arms that don't look different from earlier pix of the guy's arms we've been privileged to see over the years...muscle and all. Where they say he may have lost some muscle is in his legs.

My guess is no one asked Rafa how much he weighed when that left shot was taken...then he may've reported he weighed too much!
He didn't weigh too much. It's just that his jacket was too big...

jrepac
12-02-2009, 08:51 PM
he does still look muscular in the arms, but it is clear he is not quite as "ripped" as he used to be

there also used to be a muscular "bulkiness" about him that is gone now...just look at the way he used to walk around the court....like a muscle guy at the beach

now, if he's been on the juice, too bad; his problem, his risk...it will be exposed eventually...and, that would really be bad/sad for him

but, at 15lbs less now, given all his recent losses, he needs to figure out what to do next...maybe he was better off w/more muscle....something is clearly lacking right now in his game

JennyS
12-03-2009, 03:26 AM
I think the biggest difference is in Nadal's trunk. I don't have time to look for pictures now, but there is a big difference.

inkpw2
12-03-2009, 06:58 AM
haha go to school man. Bernard Kohl was tested positive for EPO that is not a steroid. how about you do some research before calling me an idiot

inkpw2
12-03-2009, 06:59 AM
You are an idiot. Nadal isn't heavier than he is (86 kg according to himself) because it would affect key aspects of his game such as stamina, quickness and agility negatively. A clay court grinder is never gonna way anywhere near 220 lbs (100 kg) whether on steroids or not, unless he is absolutely ********. A tennis player would use steroids to improve his recovery and strength, not to bulk up so much that it would hamper his game, genius. Bernard Kohl, Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis were all on steroids. Now go ahead and picture google them to see how "huge" they are...

go to school man haha. Bernard Kohl was tested positive for EPO, its not a steroid. go to school and do some research before you call me an idiot

Rabbit
12-03-2009, 10:57 AM

I think this whole post did exactly that......how then can a trustful relationship be fostered?

To answer you question, I'm now a 4.5 players, was on my tennis team (division I).

Players? Do you have a disorder? ;)

4.5 / Division 1? Surely you are from a country that is not the US? If so, how then do you know you are a 4.5? Most certainly D1 players here in the US are not 4.5s.

LOL, nice one!

I think it's obvious that he's thinner. His face looks a lot thinner than in previous years.

Yep. Commentators eveywhere from Jimmy Arias and Leif Shiras to Jason Goodall are saying that Nadal is

lighter
slower
less powerfulSeems like if he was trying to fix something.....he failed.

He had to get lighter so that he could save his knees.

But, by Nadal's own admission, his knees were "100%" when he played in Canada prior to the US Open. If they were/are 100%, what is there to save? Why wasn't he lighter then?

CMM
12-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Miami Masters 2009 (March 24)

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9092/miamif.jpghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7130/miami2d.jpghttp://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3756/miami3.jpg

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
It seems like he cannot hit through the court as much as early 2009. He did fix his knees I wonder if its worth losing muscle mass?

TMF
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Rafa right now is not as strong as he use to be. He can lose weight to save his knees. But on the flip side, hes not going to be that same beast he once was on the court. So whatever he do, he can only choose one. Take your pick rafa.

namelessone
12-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Yep. Commentators eveywhere from Jimmy Arias and Leif Shiras to Jason Goodall are saying that Nadal is

lighter
slower
less powerfulSeems like if he was trying to fix something.....he failed.

But, by Nadal's own admission, his knees were "100%" when he played in Canada prior to the US Open. If they were/are 100%, what is there to save? Why wasn't he lighter then?

Nadal is lighter because this was the last straw as far as his knees were concerned and he had to lose some weight(though he didn't lose that much). Nadal's health problems either appeared at the beginning of the season or at the end of the season and when they appeared at the beginning it was usually a continuation of the problems he had at the end of the year.

This time his problems hit him in the middle of the year,where he gets the bulk of his points. He missed wimbledon because of it. I think that's enough motivation to want to change something. Nadal has been lugging that 80 something kilo frame of his for the last 5 seasons or so,running around like crazy. Here is a small part of what Nadal's joints have been suffering these past years,not to mention the tendons attached:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_RqaEsBiM.

No one can play like that forever. And Nadal is not less powerful,it's just that the timing on his shots sucks nowadays and HC takes time away from him. Nadal steadily got better in the montreal-cincy-USO period but after USO it was almost like it was back to square 1 regarding his shots.

Also,how the hell is he slower? Most of the lost muscle mass has come from the legs,not the upper body,that's why he lacks explosiveness nowadays but when on the move he is still one of the fastest guys out there.

I would hold back my judgment on whether Nadal failed or not with this forced change after 2010. I think Nadal did a good thing. Nadal,with his heavier frame and punishing game,at the height of his career,had basically 6 month runs or so and then ended the year in a low note,usually with a injury to boot. This time Nadal's body broke down earlier and it's the fifth or sixth consecutive season in which he has had to take extended off periods because of this. It's time for a change. What else can he look forward to,playing another 1-2 years with 2-3 months runs,only to break down again?

Nadal's knees have been ok since montreal. It's his core that has given him problems,with a muscle tear in USO and back pain last week in WTF. Nadal looked the same around USO as he did in WTF.

Here's some shots of that famed left arm which everybody keeps bringing up:

Nadal right after comeback,in Montreal:
http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef0120a4e2857c970b-400wi

Nadal in USO 09':
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01475/rafael-nadal_1475816c.jpg

Also,here are some pics of Nadal at WTF:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=300358&page=4

TennisFan008
12-04-2009, 03:53 AM
haha go to school man. Bernard Kohl was tested positive for EPO that is not a steroid. how about you do some research before calling me an idiot

How about you do some research before abusing the keyboard with your greasy fingers? Bernard Kohl tested positive for CERA and admitted to also using HGH, testosterone and insulin for years. Keep making yourself look like an idiot! :roll:

crackbillionair
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
it appears he is losing weight as his game is transitioning to something of a bit more well rounded game. There will be less stress on his knees and body from having less weight and this should be something to take into account as well. I think Nadal has been trying some new things over his last few tournaments including the WTF which is why his results haven't been there. But soon, Nadal will be back better than ever

Okay. Let's say for a minute that this is true, which I am not even really willing to commit to. Nadal lost MM. Right. Nadal is more well rounded now and the proof of this is how poorly he has been playing. Also, he went to the YEC to fool around and try some new tactics/shots.

There have been new things. Way more slices and errors on the backhand side because he has slowed and the footwork is not there. And less fight.

He's a fighter, he's a warrior, blah blah blah. He can be. Or, he can be the guy who lost 6-0, 6-1 to Youzhny in Chennai or the guy who got smoked 2, 2, and 2 by Del Potro.

Like Arias said of him last week, 'if you aren't super fast then you'd better be super aggressive. And Nadal is not looking super fast at all.'

I don't like his style. It's boring. Tennis is about serving, it's about winners--shot making. People might say no, or yin/yang blah blah blah...but that style he plays is for those who do not have true tennis talent. That said, he's as good a grinder as any to come along in the last 25 years, maybe better, and he can definitely regain some of his form and have some more success. And it's a little weird to be studying pics of a man with his shirt off. Nothing he can do will shock me. He's got my full attention and he's very muscular. But he's always gonna be banged up, and grinders don't last. It's the gliders that do.

namelessone
12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Okay. Let's say for a minute that this is true, which I am not even really willing to commit to. Nadal lost MM. Right. Nadal is more well rounded now and the proof of this is how poorly he has been playing. Also, he went to the YEC to fool around and try some new tactics/shots.

There have been new things. Way more slices and errors on the backhand side because he has slowed and the footwork is not there. And less fight.

He's a fighter, he's a warrior, blah blah blah. He can be. Or, he can be the guy who lost 6-0, 6-1 to Youzhny in Chennai or the guy who got smoked 2, 2, and 2 by Del Potro.

Like Arias said of him last week, 'if you aren't super fast then you'd better be super aggressive. And Nadal is not looking super fast at all.'

I don't like his style. It's boring. Tennis is about serving, it's about winners--shot making. People might say no, or yin/yang blah blah blah...but that style he plays is for those who do not have true tennis talent. That said, he's as good a grinder as any to come along in the last 25 years, maybe better, and he can definitely regain some of his form and have some more success. And it's a little weird to be studying pics of a man with his shirt off. Nothing he can do will shock me. He's got my full attention and he's very muscular. But he's always gonna be banged up, and grinders don't last. It's the gliders that do.

He had a monster semifinal in Chennai with Moya.that's why he was finished physically in the final. Youzhny said the played against Nadal's shadow because that wasn't Nadal on-court,it was a spent guy. DelPo is a much better HC player than Nadal and had Nadal not played with an abdoment tear the score would have been much more respectable,though I still think he would have lost. Nadal won 6 games against delpo in the USO semi,Federer won 4 games in the RG final in 2008. Does that make Federer a bad player? No,it just means Nadal is a better claycourt player than him. The only thing that Rafa has against him is that he doesn't have a great HC game(probably 90% of all beatdowns have occured on this surface),he is terrific both on clay and grass which can't be said for most of the players today.

Tennis is not about serving,making winner and other bla bla crap you wanna throw in. Tennis is about keeping another ball in play and taking your chances when you feel like it with whatever weapons you have at your disposal.One style of play is not better than the other. There have been grinders who won more GS and MS than flashy players and viceversa. It is about maximizing your potential,whether you are a grinder or glider.

feetofclay
12-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't like his style. It's boring. Tennis is about serving, .

So by your logic we should look to Ivo Karlovic as being at the pinnacle of tennis.

pound cat
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Wrong, wrong wrong. As a matter of fact Nadal has gained at least 30 pounds...and so has Berych. Amazingly each has also become much shorter.

Drugs no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBy2DgkhZM