PDA

View Full Version : Punk rock at London ceremony

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 12:51 AM
What do you think about The Clash (London Calling, of course) being played when the trophies were being presented on Sunday? We've sure come a long way since late 70s.

What do you think? Was it a long time coming? Too early for this perhaps?

(I know the Clash are not just any punk-rock band, and this is not really punk rock, but more like ska, still..)

slice bh compliment
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I love that song.

I felt that way a year or two ago when one of the really mainstream networks (ESPN or NBC) used London Calling for an intro or an outtro for a Wimbledon telecast.

They used the Cult's She Sells Sanctuary once, too.

Songs like that used to be considered edgy, and now they're hallmarks. It's like when the establishment hates a rocker.....but then 30 yrs later, he is knighted and has a 'Sir' at the front of his name.

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiVvA9YQpiI

I love that song.

I felt that way a year or two ago when one of the really mainstream networks (ESPN or NBC) used London Calling for an intro or an outtro for a Wimbledon telecast.

They used the Cult's She Sells Sanctuary once, too.

Songs like that used to be considered edgy, and now they're hallmarks. It's like when the establishment hates a rocker.....but then 30 yrs later, he is knighted and has a 'Sir' at the front of his name.

I love it, too. I don't remember it was used before. Which year?

But, even so, this is different. In London, it was played during the actual ceremony, which is more serious than just an intro clip. I didn't pay attention at first, but then it occurred to me that this is something new.

Too bad Joe Strummer died. He would have been knighted as well.

slice bh compliment
12-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiVvA9YQpiI

I love it, too. I don't remember it was used before. Which year?

But, even so, this is different. In London, it was played during the actual ceremony, which is more serious than just an intro clip. I didn't pay attention at first, but then it occurred to me that this is something new.

Too bad Joe Strummer died. He would have been knighted as well.

Definitely a bigger deal to play it at the venue (won't be happening at the AELTC).

NBC or ESPN did it either this past yr or '08, leaving RG and previewing WImbledon, iirc. The clip featured Rog, Muzzer, Raf et al with footage from the Wimbledon before.....Big Ben, the ivy covered walls, etc. That and the NBC Wimbledon theme get me every time.

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Hearing the Clash, was yet another thing that made the O2 experience so great last week:)

Gorecki
12-01-2009, 04:52 AM
What do you think about The Clash (London Calling, of course) being played when the trophies were being presented on Sunday? We've sure come a long way since late 70s.

(I know the Clash are not just any punk-rock band, and this is not really punk rock, but more like ska, still..)

a few considerations on the subject:

1 - The clash is not a Punk Band, neither it's a Ska one.. The Clash is one of the greatest Rock bands ever and if not for the last album (ironically called cut the crap) they would be top 10 ers imo. encapsulatiing them in a label like that does not do them justice no matter how you look at it.

2 - any moment is good to listen to The clash. why would it be to soon?

3 - no.. we did not come a long way since Joe strummer and fellows... nowdays rock\punk bands (in refering to the band within that musical spectrum) are not worth to share the planet earth with the likes of Clash, Sex pistols, Wire et. al.

slice bh compliment
12-01-2009, 05:22 AM
1 - The clash is not a Punk Band, neither it's a Ska one.. The Clash is one of the greatest Rock bands ever and if not for the last album (ironically called cut the crap) they would be top 10 ers imo. encapsulatiing them in a label like that does not do them justice no matter how you look at it.

2 - any moment is good to listen to The clash. why would it be to soon?

3 - no.. we did not come a long way since Joe strummer and fellows... nowdays rock\punk bands (in refering to the band within that musical spectrum) are not worth to share the planet earth with the likes of Clash, Sex pistols, Wire et. al.

1] Yeah, I bet he knew that, he was just sayin'. Jus' sayin' is most of the labelling that goes on......I give the OP a pass on that because he used Punk and/or Ska as a frame, that's all. I think his point was that in 1979, a gathering of the haves and the have mores would not have had revolutionary music like that blaring. Well, maybe in the kitchen. THey'd be blasting Cliff Richard not Keith Richards. The Baroque, not the Clash.

2] Not 'too soon', just a little out of place and basically just too great......for a fuddyduddy event like a year-end tennis event. In London.

3] Yeah, today's 'pseudo-neo-punk' bands couldn't roadie for Green Day, who couldn't roadie for The Ramones or Nirvana, who'd happily roadie for The Clash. And vice versa.

By the way, I'm hearing stuff from my school years on the local oldies station nowadays. I heard some George Harrison, some Thin Lizzy and they even played The Clash, believe it or not.

Are times changin' or are the people in the booth just getting older and desensitized?
Next: Public Enemy on an episode of Real Housewives?

sphinx780
12-01-2009, 07:52 AM
I never like to pass up on hearing the Clash but I couldn't help but feel that they didn't really pay attention to the context of the song they were playing.

It says "London" in it, oh joy! We're in London, let's play it!

A song about the degrading rut of culture that London held fast to from a band that stood against the increasing divide of rich and poor...played at an expensive tennis event...just seems a bit ill fitting.

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
The Clash were not only a Punk band, but one of the very first along with Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks and Damned!

The Clash were an interesting band, as Joe Strummer came from a very middle class background, but they did indeed highlight rich/poor divide!

Anyway, a great band, if not one of my absolute favourites, but was good to hear them at the O2:)

Dedans Penthouse
12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
What do you think about The Clash (London Calling, of course) being played when the trophies were being presented on Sunday? Why not? Besides, phony Beatlemania's bitten the dust. ;-)

When they kick out your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun

"The Guns of Brixton" ..... love the opening to that song.

Fatmike
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
England is not as stuck up as I thought !

dParis
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
When they start playing cuts from Straight Outta Compton at the awards presentations I'll say we've come a long way (for better or worse?).

I thought The Clash have been a fairly accepted mainstream band ever since "Rock the Casbah" in the 80's. Not really Punk. At least not true Punk like DK, Circle Jerks or even the Sex Pistols. The Clash was much more refined and talented than most (all) Punk bands.

slice bh compliment
12-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Guns of Brixton.
White Riot would've been a great choice, too.

Even better: God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols.

Funny that it mentions London...so they happily play it!

I guess it's like:

*playing Born In The USA at a pep rally or an optimistic political rally! Then you listen to the words and it's kind of sad.

*playing ONE by U2 at a wedding. Amazing song, but when you actually listen to the lyrics, it's not really a romantic man/woman song.

Anyway, about the Clash, yeah, they evolved towards the end.

Long live their music. Actually, my first grader is a fan of their poppier stuff (Train in Vain, Stay or Go, London Calling, and that funny song with the sherrif and the jet fighters -- I think it's called something like "Lock the Cash Box").

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
It does make me laugh though that some people don't think of the Clash as a punk band!

Yes of course they released some pop songs on the last 2 albums, but you can't get more of a Punk band than the Clash, they started Punk with groups like the Sex Pistols as already mentioned!

Just like when people don't realise reggae was a huge influence on Punk as well as say the Ramones!

sphinx780
12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
It does make me laugh though that some people don't think of the Clash as a punk band!

Yes of course they released some pop songs on the last 2 albums, but you can't get more of a Punk band than the Clash, they started Punk with groups like the Sex Pistols as already mentioned!

Just like when people don't realise reggae was a huge influence on Punk as well as say the Ramones!

I completely agree, it's funny how the context of what punk is has changed through the years. Now it's associated with a specific style of music more similar to the sex pistols fast pace. When it all came around, it was more of an ideology or ideologies and a DIY ethos. Someone that really hasn't studied how/what the punk scene was upon it's arrival tend to see a very single faceted definition of what punk is.

Put in some Patti Smith and watch everyone tell you that it's absolutely not punk. Yet she was a critical component of the American punk movement.

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I completely agree, it's funny how the context of what punk is has changed through the years. Now it's associated with a specific style of music more similar to the sex pistols fast pace. When it all came around, it was more of an ideology or ideologies and a DIY ethos. Someone that really hasn't studied how/what the punk scene was upon it's arrival tend to see a very single faceted definition of what punk is.

Put in some Patti Smith and watch everyone tell you that it's absolutely not punk. Yet she was a critical component of the American punk movement.

Indeed:)

And looking at where you are from. One of my musical heroes is Grant Hart. On his great new album he thanks Patti Smith, who he did some gigs with last year I think!

Also, Husker Du were an amazing band:)

dParis
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I thought The Clash have been a fairly accepted mainstream band ever since "Rock the Casbah" in the 80's. Not really Punk. At least not true Punk like DK, Circle Jerks or even the Sex Pistols. The Clash was much more refined and talented than most (all) Punk bands.

You guys are right. After looking at what I posted, I realize it was a poor choice of words and some ignorance of Punk history thrown in as well. I was thinking of Punk in the narrow perspective of the hair, the speed, the unintelligible lyrics etc... More the exception than the rule after you had me think about it a little. Still, The Clash always had more mainstream success and acceptability than other bands considered "great" in Punk circles.

sphinx780
12-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Indeed:)

Also, Husker Du were an amazing band:)

I grew up to the Husker's. May have to break them out on the drive home tonight.

sphinx780
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
You guys are right. After looking at what I posted, I realize it was a poor choice of words and some ignorance of Punk history thrown in as well. I was thinking of Punk in the narrow perspective of the hair, the speed, the unintelligible lyrics etc... More the exception than the rule after you had me think about it a little. Still, The Clash always had more mainstream success and acceptability than other bands considered "great" in Punk circles.

No worries, now you have an additional perspective :)

jimbo333
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
I grew up to the Husker's. May have to break them out on the drive home tonight.

You just can't go wrong with Husker Du, so underrated:)

I saw their last ever UK gig at the Glastonbury festival in 87, just before they spilt up!

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 01:47 PM
1] Yeah, I bet he knew that, he was just sayin'. Jus' sayin' is most of the labelling that goes on......I give the OP a pass on that because he used Punk and/or Ska as a frame, that's all. I think his point was that in 1979, a gathering of the haves and the have mores would not have had revolutionary music like that blaring. Well, maybe in the kitchen. THey'd be blasting Cliff Richard not Keith Richards. The Baroque, not the Clash.

2] Not 'too soon', just a little out of place and basically just too great......for a fuddyduddy event like a year-end tennis event. In London.

3] Yeah, today's 'pseudo-neo-punk' bands couldn't roadie for Green Day, who couldn't roadie for The Ramones or Nirvana, who'd happily roadie for The Clash. And vice versa.

By the way, I'm hearing stuff from my school years on the local oldies station nowadays. I heard some George Harrison, some Thin Lizzy and they even played The Clash, believe it or not.

Are times changin' or are the people in the booth just getting older and desensitized?
Next: Public Enemy on an episode of Real Housewives?

On my local oldies station, they play Clash as well. But only "Should I stay" and "Rock the Casbah".

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Guns of Brixton.
White Riot would've been a great choice, too.

Even better: God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols.

Funny that it mentions London...so they happily play it!

I guess it's like:

*playing Born In The USA at a pep rally or an optimistic political rally! Then you listen to the words and it's kind of sad.

*playing ONE by U2 at a wedding. Amazing song, but when you actually listen to the lyrics, it's not really a romantic man/woman song.

I guess "I fought the law" was too obvious. They would never get fooled by that.

What's next then?

"California Uber Alles" at Indian Wells? I mean, Californians cannot be stuffier than the Brits.

"American Idiot" at US Open?

"Rock the Casbah" in Dubai?

Anyway, about the Clash, yeah, they evolved towards the end.

Long live their music. Actually, my first grader is a fan of their poppier stuff (Train in Vain, Stay or Go, London Calling, and that funny song with the sherrif and the jet fighters -- I think it's called something like "Lock the Cash Box").

johanneskepler
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM

They were an outstanding band. i saw them live once at the Hammersmith Odeon and its one of the 3 best gigs i have seen.
They played with passion , energy and honesty. Good band.