PDA

View Full Version : Tennisweek.com no more??

pc1
12-01-2009, 07:29 AM
I mistakenly started this thread in the Former Player Discussion so I'm starting another one here.

I tried to reach the Tennisweek website today and was unable to. I called IMG and someone there informed me that the Tennisweek website is no more.

I hope that this person is wrong. Tennisweek.com was one of the more informative and best websites on tennis.

Tsonga#1fan
12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I mistakenly started this thread in the Former Player Discussion so I'm starting another one here.

I tried to reach the Tennisweek website today and was unable to. I called IMG and someone there informed me that the Tennisweek website is no more.

I hope that this person is wrong. Tennisweek.com was one of the more informative and best websites on tennis.

I had a subscription to their magazine up until about a year and a half ago. They just stopped sending me magazines even though I had recently paid for a renewal. I figured that place was bound to go belly-up eventually, so I wouldn't be surprised if the web site folded as well.

MAX PLY
12-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Similar experience here. They did send me a letter notifying me that they would no longer publish over a year ago but I don't think I got a refund. I was a long time subscriber to the magazine (while Gene Scott was alive it was by far the best tennis publication available). The website was a daily "go to" for me but it is apparently now dead. A shame really--Tennis Magazine and tennis.com is really just average.

sureshs
12-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Print media is finding it increasingly difficult to survive. Though I personally like magazines in print form, I understand that it is pure nostalgia without regard to the environment. There is really no reason to cut down trees, use toxic chemicals, and consume energy in the distribution channels just for people who don't want to read the digital form.

Even in digital form, small publications such as tennisweek will collapse in this economy due to lack of advertiser support and increasing costs of journalism coverage.

Tsonga#1fan
12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I agree with both of the two previous posters. I thought TENNISWEEK was a terrific magazine and was by far the best. I too still look foreward to receiving my monthly TENNIS magazine (10 times a year) although there is nothing especially great about it that I cant get on the internet. I too find TENNIS web site average but can't help checking in almost every day.

pc1
12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Richard Pagliaro did a fabulous job as the Tennisweek online editor. Unfortunately after the magazine folded I suppose it was just a matter of time before the website shut down. So many great articles lost forever.