PDA

View Full Version : Better serve Murray or Djokovic?

Cesc Fabregas
12-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Who out of the 2 has the better overall serve?

egn
12-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Murray has the better first serve, but Djoker has the better second serve. The numbers are close both but Murray has a really bad second serve. If it wasn't for him being so good that would be abig liability, but if you look at back at the match against Cilic or the match against Roddick we can all recall both of those guy teeing off on that second serve. Its a tossup though since Murray's first serve is really good. I can't decide but I will just edge Djoker because I haven't seen his second serve lose him matches in grandslams.

kishnabe
12-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Murray goes for more but Djokovic can stay consistent.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Murrays 1st serve is more effective and Djokovics 2nd serve is better.

mtr1
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Djokovic. The first serves are quite similar, but Murray's second serve is miles behind Djokovic's.

xcourt4hand
12-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Murray's second serve is definitely open to improvement and his first serve can wilt under pressure. Overall if my life depended upon it, I'd err on the side of Djokovic.

stanfordtennis alum
12-01-2009, 08:06 AM
i would say murray

Tsonga#1fan
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
I find Murray's whole game wilts under pressure more often than not. I actually find his first serve to be what keeps him in many matches, but over all I'd rather have the Djoker's serve.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Murray's first serve is good IF he gets it in, however when i watch him play he rarely serves over 50%. His second serve is possibly the worst shot in the top 10 and people take advantage of that.

Djokovic's serve isn't much better, but did (still can) but in big second serves and his first serve is more reliable as it is more consisent.

Djokovic has the better serve slightly.

P_Agony
12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Both aren't too impressive.

Murray has a good 1st serve, but his % isn't very good at times and he has a horrible 2nd serve (by pro standards of course).

Djokovic has a decent 1st serve and a good 2nd serve, but at times of pressure he becomes the Dementieva of men's tennis (in terms of DFs).

I would give the slight edge to Djoko though.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Both aren't too impressive.

Murray has a good 1st serve, but his % isn't very good at times and he has a horrible 2nd serve (by pro standards of course).

Djokovic has a decent 1st serve and a good 2nd serve, but at times of pressure he becomes the Dementieva of men's tennis (in terms of DFs).

I would give the slight edge to Djoko though.

Djokovic isn't as bad as someone like Verdasco in times of pressure - he throws in double faults as much as i do (but i'm 4"11)

Changmaster
12-01-2009, 08:29 AM
If you look at the serving stats on the ATP website, it's clear that Murray has the edge, although initially I would have leaned towards Djokovic (2nd serve). Djoker has 502 aces in 95 matches, while Murray has 575 aces in only 75 matches. Murray wins slightly more pts off the 1st serve, and surprisingly, they are equal in 2nd serve pts won. I would say based mainly on the fact that Murray averages significantly more aces per match than Djoker, that he has the better serve overall.

flying24
12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Overall Djokovic. I laughed earlier this year when the Murraytards actually believed Murray had a better serve than Federer (more mph on the 1st serve but that is his only edge). With Djokovic it is closer than it is with Federer, but I still would give it to Djokovic. Murray of course more power on the first serve, but not any better placement or variety, alot lower first serve percentage, and by far a worse 2nd serve.

Joseph L. Barrow
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
If you look at the serving stats on the ATP website, it's clear that Murray has the edge, although initially I would have leaned towards Djokovic (2nd serve). Djoker has 502 aces in 95 matches, while Murray has 575 aces in only 75 matches. Murray wins slightly more pts off the 1st serve, and surprisingly, they are equal in 2nd serve pts won. I would say based mainly on the fact that Murray averages significantly more aces per match than Djoker, that he has the better serve overall.
Ah, but things can be a little bit trickier than you think, here; yes, Murray wins more first serve points and their second serve points won are equal, but Murray's average first serve percentage is substantially lower than Djokovic's, which is also a crucial factor. Let me illustrate:

Let's say I win 100% of my first serve points and 50% of my second serve points, while you only win 90% of your first serve points and 40% of your second serve points. I win a higher percentage off both my first and second serves, so clearly my serve is better, right?

But now, let us say that I only make 10% of my first serves, while you make 90% of yours. In this scenario, you are winning 100% of those 10% of your service points which are begun with a first serve, and half of the other 90% of your service points (or 45% of the total), meaning you win a net total of 55% of your service points. On the other hand, I win 90% of the 90% of my service points which are begun with a first serve (81% of the total) plus another 40% of the other tenth of my service points (4% of the total), meaning that I win 85% of my net service points; hence, I win a much, much higher total percentage of my service points than you do, even though your point-winning averages are better off both the first and second serves respectively, simply because I have a much higher percentage of the primary point-winning serve (the first).

In this instance, anyway, the two both win 85% of their service games, while Murray has a 1% edge in service points won (67 to 66). Djokovic's 1% break points saved edge (66% to 65%) is probably what balances out the total service games, though there is most likely still some fraction-of-a-percent difference between the two, which may or may not be significant.

My impression is that Murray's serve is slightly better in a "routine" game, but Djokovic's is a little bit more reliable under pressure. Overall, they would rank virtually equal.

jamesblakefan#1
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Djokovic serves better on the bigger points. His serve is more consistent. Murray's 1st may be slightly better, but the disparity between the 2nd serves is enough to give Djokovic the edge.

Cyan
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Djoko loco, of course.

fruitytennis1
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Serve goes to djoker. Serve return on the other hand goes to Murray(the shaggy haired not so successful british guy.)

matchmaker
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Djokovic, he has a much better 2nd serve and his 1rst serve is on par with Murray's.

IvanAndreevich
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Novak. He rarely has below 50% firsts (something Andy is still prone to on occasion). Also his second is less of a weakness, while Andy's is a very big one IMO.

jimbo333
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Another example of Murray being basically hated on this forum:(

Murray clearly has the better serve overrall!

Murray has the best first serve of the two, but the worse second serve. But overrall Murray's is better. Put it this way on a fast court where serve is actually important, who's serve would you rather have? Yes Murrays:)

svijk
12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
OP is renowned for coming up with the most inane of posts....trend continues with this one. Wonder whats next ..."who runs better", " who eats a banana better".....ho-hum

IvanAndreevich
12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Another example of Murray being basically hated on this forum:(

Murray clearly has the better serve overrall!

Murray has the best first serve of the two, but the worse second serve. But overrall Murray's is better. Put it this way on a fast court where serve is actually important, who's serve would you rather have? Yes Murrays:)

I get it. You are more objective then me just because you don't share my opinion and you are English. :lol:

Claudius
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I can't believe you guys think that Djokovic has a better serve. As much as I hate Murray, he clearly has a better serve.

AM95
12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
murrays serve was totally owning roger in the first set of the YEC. but that was one time, and after Federer started reading it, Murray got screwed. Djoko has a better serve, and we can see that at the end of the year after he got used to that horrible racket of his.

IvanAndreevich
12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I can't believe you guys think that Djokovic has a better serve. As much as I hate Murray, he clearly has a better serve.

1) Low first serve %.
2) Worst second serve out of the Top 10.

How is that clearly better?

GrafisGOAT
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Murray is the most overhyped player in tennis today. Better serve? Novak easily.

Blinkism
12-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Murray has an excellent first serve.

(It's the only part of his game that I like)

jimbo333
12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I get it. You are more objective then me just because you don't share my opinion and you are English. :lol:

You are aware of course that Murray is Scottish, and also aware that Murray isn't really liked that much in England:shock:

Murray definitely has a better first serve, and definitely has a worse second serve than Djokovic!

I'm sorry but anyone who disagrees with this, is simply wrong!

vanity
12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Murray is the most overhyped player in tennis today. Better serve? Novak easily.

No more hate being generated from this troll any longer! Have fun!

[d]ragon
12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Murray has the bigger first serve but Djokovic has the better second so I would say it's kinda a close call but I give Djokovic the edge because his 1st serve tends to be more consistent. But when they're both on fire, I feel Murray's serve is alittle better