PDA

View Full Version : The Most Improved ATP Player of 2009?

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Federer - A big improvement from 2008, won double the number of slams. First Masters title in more than a year (and won 2 masters overall). Beaten Nadal for the first time in a long time (on clay and a final nonetheless). Reclaimed Year-End No.1 (only 2nd player in history to do so). Winning the French Open and Wimbledon double (inconceivable in 2008, for Federer). And not the least, won the French Open for the first time.

Del Potro - Won first slam beating Nadal and Federer (first player ever to do so). Recorded 3 wins against Nadal and 2 wins against Federer (never beaten both players before). WTF final.

Davydenko - Beaten all 3 slam winners on route to win the WTF. Also won Shanghai masters by beating Djokovic and Nadal.

Roddick - First slam final in a long time. Contested in one of the best Wimbledon finals of all time.

Soderling - First player ever to beat Nadal at FO, reaching first slam final (never before passed the 4th round in any slams). Beat Djokovic and Nadal in WTF.

Verdasco - Semifinal at AO lost to the eventual champion. Consistency throughout the year and qualified for WTF.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Gasquet.

Played tennis of his life at the US Open - Nadal just played awsome!!!

malakas
12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Del Potro.
Far Second Soderling.

Also Chiudinelli was great.

CMM
12-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Del Potro.

Shangri La
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Rafael Nadal - won his first GS on hard court.

IvanAndreevich
12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Chiudinelli by far.

The top players can't improve much relatively speaking. It's always one of the guys who goes from #400 to #50 or something along those lines.

GasquetGOAT
Gasquet.

Played tennis of his life at the US Open - Nadal just played awsome!!!

I see Anaconda is a new troll.

malakas
You should have added a poll...Or maybe just remake the thread with a poll.

JoshDragon
It has to be Del Potro.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 09:31 AM

How does that qualify for the "most improved" given that he had a much better season in 2008?

malakas
12-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Chiudinelli by far.

The top players can't improve much relatively speaking. It's always one of the guys who goes from #400 to #50 or something along those lines.

yes Marco was great,BUT one could perhaps argue that as much difference is between 400 to out of top 100 so is between top 50 and top 5.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 09:32 AM
You should have added a poll...Or maybe just remake the thread with a poll.

I am going make a poll but just want to see more nominations.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I see Anaconda is a new troll.

Dude, it's just a joke.

My Real answer: JMDP and Roddick - compare slam results last year to this year.

TMF
12-01-2009, 09:35 AM

What?
He won the AO but lost at RG, his best surface. Itís more like he got worse.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Dude, it's just a joke.

My Real answer: JMDP and Roddick - compare slam results last year to this year.

;)

But good answer.

Matt H.
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Soderling by far.

He was a career top 20-30 player. Broke thru with his first slam final, first US Open quarter, and a 4th rd showing at Wimbledon to break into the top 10 and make a run at the WTF.

Nadal and Fed are not candidates for this category. Come on.

Shangri La
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
How does that qualify for the "most improved" given that he had a much better season in 2008?

To Nadal, winning AO is more of a milestone achievement than winning another FO/Wim or beating Federer a few more times. Plus, I dont see him winning another GS any more.

akv89
12-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Del Potro by far.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Federer - A big improvement from 2008, won double the number of slams. First Masters title in more than a year (and won 2 masters overall). Beaten Nadal for the first time in a long time (on clay and a final nonetheless). Reclaimed Year-End No.1 (only 2nd player in history to do so). Winning the French Open and Wimbledon double (inconceivable in 2008, for Federer). And not the least, won the French Open for the first time.

Del Potro - Won first slam beating Nadal and Federer (first player ever to do so). Recorded 3 wins against Nadal and 2 wins against Federer (never beaten both players before). WTF final.

Davydenko - Beaten all 3 slam winners on route to win the WTF. Also won Shanghai masters by beating Djokovic and Nadal.

Roddick - First slam final in a long time. Contested in one of the best Wimbledon finals of all time.

Soderling - First player ever to beat Nadal at FO, reaching first slam final (never before passed the 4th round in any slams). Beat Djokovic and Nadal in WTF.

Verdasco - Semifinal at AO lost to the eventual champion. Consistency throughout the year and qualified for WTF.

Definetely Soderling- Del Potro close 2nd, but he already was top notch compared to Soderling when 2009 started. Also DelPpo had a terrible fall (before the WTF) and a terrible Wimbledon. Just being the 1st player to ever defeat Nadal at FO deserves a separate award! Yes, I am biased. So are you.

Matt H.
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
In 2008, people were talking about Delpo being a matter of time before winning a slam.

In 2008, people just weren't even talking about Soderling.

DavidGarcia
Cilic? He has been playing some awesome tennis this year.

Rhino
I would say Soderling. He went from a guy that seemed to hover around #20 for ages and looked like he'd never step it up, to doing the impossible at Roland Garros and eliminating Rafa, and then reaching the final.
Great showing at the WTF, big improvement mentally.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Soderling by far.

He was a career top 20-30 player. Broke thru with his first slam final, first US Open quarter, and a 4th rd showing at Wimbledon to break into the top 10 and make a run at the WTF.

Nadal and Fed are not candidates for this category. Come on.

Nadal definitely not since his overall result is worse than last year but for Federer it has been a monumental season in his career, a huge improvement from last year. But I agree Soderling should get the nod in terms of improvement.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 09:44 AM
In 2008, people were talking about Delpo being a matter of time before winning a slam.

Good point!

dh003i
12-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Despite Federer and Nadal breaking through where they hadn't before in the slams, I think best improvement has to go to Del Potro. He goes from 0 to 1 slams. That's an infinite-fold improvement (Federer goes from 1 last year to 2 this year, 2x). Nadal broke through in some ways because of the AO, but it was without a doubt a down-year for him after then; 2 slams last year, 1 this year. Overall, Nadal went backwards.

Also, if you look at his level of play and mental state, Del Potro is an enormous improvement from last year. In terms of level of play, Federer improved from last year, but not enormously, and Nadal improved at the AO, but dropped off after. Soderling also improved a lot, but not as much as Del Potro.

malakas
12-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Delpo's AO ,Delpo's USO and WTF. that about sums it up imo.

Soderling was always talked about,but as a guy who could be in the big stage if his head was better screwed on his shoulders.Something clicked together and it happened as it had happened in the previous years with Gonzo and with Verdasco.
But the one is a slam winner and the other a slam finalist so Delpo gets the vote imo.

DavidGarcia
12-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Also, if you look at his level of play and mental state, Del Potro is an enormous improvement from last year. In terms of level of play, Federer improved from last year, but not enormously, and Nadal improved at the AO, but dropped off after. Soderling also improved a lot, but not as much as Del Potro.

I have to agree with you. Nothing against Sorderling but he totally melt in that Roland Garros Final in comparison with Del Potro who actually won his first GS final

Watch what Murray did in his first GS final........gone in 3 sets.

edman9898
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Another vote for Soderling. Great turnaround this year, on and off the court with his attitude.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 10:14 AM
To Nadal, winning AO is more of a milestone achievement than winning another FO/Wim or beating Federer a few more times. Plus, I dont see him winning another GS any more.

Yes but thats more of his personal milestone, we are talking about "The Most Improved ATP Player" and Nadal is not a candidate.

GasquetGOAT
12-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Definetely Soderling- Del Potro close 2nd, but he already was top notch compared to Soderling when 2009 started. Also DelPpo had a terrible fall (before the WTF) and a terrible Wimbledon. Just being the 1st player to ever defeat Nadal at FO deserves a separate award! Yes, I am biased. So are you.

Well Delpo had a terrible fall and Sod had a terrible first quarter of the season.
And beating Nadal 3 times in a season also deserves a special award (well done, Novak and Juan!) :twisted:. Anyway I voted for Sod but Delpo's improvement was equally impressive if not more.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Del Potro then Soderling.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
And beating Nadal 3 times in a season also deserves a special award (well done, Novak and Juan!) :twisted:.

Beating Nadal at FO equals beating him on HC 10 times with a borrowed racket.
Soderling will easily get it.

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM

Agreed. Has to be Soderling IMO. If I asked you last year what was more likely, JMDP winning a slam or Soderling making a slam final and beating Nadal at RG, 99/100 would say JMDP.

Impressive year to finish top 10.

miniRafa386
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
delpo and verdasco

viduka0101
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
anyway, from that bunch verdasco or roddick

added:i forgot about gwen stefani

dlk
12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
JMDP, Soderling, Cilic

Vyse
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
cilic, how am i the only one. he has begun to make a name for himeslf

dlk
12-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Don't worry he's breaking into Top 10 this year & will gradually become a force.

tacou
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
delpo...sod a little bit. I would have said Roddick but after Wimby he slipped

malakas
12-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Cilic was impressive as well but no comparison to the extent Del Potro improved or Soderling.

Also another notable mention ,Thiemmo De Bakker!I'm waiting for years now for him to stand out and finally this year he makes huuuge strides of improvement!Hopefully next year he will be in the top 50!:)

veroniquem
12-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Julien Benneteau :)

Serendipitous
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
John Isner

He started the year ranked 143, and now he's 34.

:D:D:D:D

GasquetGOAT
12-03-2009, 05:03 AM
John Isner

He started the year ranked 143, and now he's 34.

:D:D:D:D

Yes John Isner! Nearly forgot about him! He did beat Roddick at the USO.