PDA

View Full Version : Guga vs JCF FO

patty_mnouchkine
12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
hi was there ever a really long match between guga and ferrero at the french open?

navratilovafan
12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, the 2000 French Open semifinal which Kuerten won in 5 sets.

Michael Bluth
12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
They met in 2001 too, but Guga kicked Ferrero's *** that time.

Mustard
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
They met in 2001 too, but Guga kicked Ferrero's *** that time.

That match was revenge for Kuerten after Ferrero had beaten him in 5 sets in the 2001 Rome Masters final.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Ah, i remember a time when JCF was a beast and a very good player.

Mustard
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Ah, i remember a time when JCF was a beast and a very good player.

That forehand was the most awesome thing about Ferrero's game. He's never really recovered from the injuries and chickenpox he had in the spring of 2004.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Ferrero at his best I would rate about on par if not slightly better than Federer on clay. The best clay courters of the last decade when at their peak level IMO:

1. Nadal
2. Kuerten
3. Ferrero
4. Federer
5. Djokovic

I rate Federer's career higher on clay than Ferrero's due to longevity and total achievements, but I am just talking about peak level of play. Ferrero and Kuerten had a great rivalry on clay in 2000-2001. Ferrero probably should have beaten Kuerten at the French in 2000, he had some significant leads in that match but he was an up and comer and not familiar to that situation, so he got a bit tight and choked the match away a bit. Then in 2001 his big 5 set win over Kuerten in the Rome final. However come the 2001 French Open semifinal which was a much hyped match Kuerten the champion came out absolutely on fire and it proved to be anticlimatic, not nearly as competitive as people had expected. It is too bad Kuerten went down with health problems, and then later Ferrero as well after 2003. Ferrero definitely should have won more than 1 French. He was a great clay courter. That 2002 final was a huge gag, and he would have won for sure in 2004 and maybe 2005 had he stayed healthy.

stormholloway
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Ferrero's forehand was a thing of beauty. The rotation was killer.

Mustard
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought it was nice to see Albert Costa win the French Open in 2002. He gave Thomas Muster some tough matches during Muster's peak, and beat him in the 1995 Kitzbuhel final.

Ferrero got some revenge on Costa at the 2003 French Open, beating him in straight sets in the semi finals.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I thought it was nice to see Albert Costa win the French Open in 2002. He gave Thomas Muster some tough matches during Muster's peak, and beat him in the 1995 Kitzbuhel final.

Ferrero got some revenge on Costa at the 2003 French Open, beating him in straight sets in the semi finals.

I dont think anyone would have been surprised if Costa had won a French from 1996-1999. By 2002 he was considered well past his prime, and so it was a shock he won it at that point in his career. It was kind of like a belated achievement, sort of like Ivanisevic's Wimbledon miracle win in 2001. I remember hearing he hadnt won a tournament in 3 years. At Rome just over a month earlier he had been thrashed badly by Agassi in the quarters, and the last time he had played Ferrero on clay he had been thrashed even worse, winning only 3 games. Going into the French that year Costa wasnt even one of the favorites after Ferrero.

Mustard
12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I dont think anyone would have been surprised if Costa had won a French from 1996-1999. By 2002 he was considered well past his prime, and so it was a shock he won it at that point in his career. It was kind of like a belated achievement, sort of like Ivanisevic's Wimbledon miracle win in 2001. I remember hearing he hadnt won a tournament in 3 years. At Rome just over a month earlier he had been thrashed badly by Agassi in the quarters, and the last time he had played Ferrero on clay he had been thrashed even worse, winning only 3 games. Going into the French that year Costa wasnt even one of the favorites after Ferrero.

I thought a one-sided beatdown in Ferrero's favour was a strong possibility in the 2002 French Open final, but the first two sets saw Costa dish out a breadstick and bagel to Ferrero. I was open mouthed at what I was seeing.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought a one-sided beatdown in Ferrero's favour was a strong possibility in the 2002 French Open final, but the first two sets saw Costa dish out a breadstick and bagel to Ferrero. I was open mouthed at what I was seeing.

Yeah it was shocking. It was pretty much the reverse of what most people expected.

Cosmic Charlie
12-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes, the 2000 French Open semifinal which Kuerten won in 5 sets.

The third set is the best I've seen Ferrero play. I didn't give Guga a chance after that, but sure enough, he turned that one around.

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah it was shocking. It was pretty much the reverse of what most people expected.

Costa played an insane match that day. Ferrero had some ankle injury and asked for the trainer, but even a healthy Ferrero would have a very long day with Costa.

Too bad For Ferrero. He was the best claycourter in 2002 and 2003 and should have won the FO in those years. Even in 2004, if he didn't get the chicken pox, since guys like Coria and Gaudio played in the final.

patty_mnouchkine
12-02-2009, 03:41 AM
its funny i didn't find any videos of the 2000 match up.

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Ferrero at his best I would rate about on par if not slightly better than Federer on clay. The best clay courters of the last decade when at their peak level IMO:

1. Nadal
2. Kuerten
3. Ferrero
4. Federer
5. Djokovic

I rate Federer's career higher on clay than Ferrero's due to longevity and total achievements, but I am just talking about peak level of play. Ferrero and Kuerten had a great rivalry on clay in 2000-2001. Ferrero probably should have beaten Kuerten at the French in 2000, he had some significant leads in that match but he was an up and comer and not familiar to that situation, so he got a bit tight and choked the match away a bit. Then in 2001 his big 5 set win over Kuerten in the Rome final. However come the 2001 French Open semifinal which was a much hyped match Kuerten the champion came out absolutely on fire and it proved to be anticlimatic, not nearly as competitive as people had expected. It is too bad Kuerten went down with health problems, and then later Ferrero as well after 2003. Ferrero definitely should have won more than 1 French. He was a great clay courter. That 2002 final was a huge gag, and he would have won for sure in 2004 and maybe 2005 had he stayed healthy.

I wouldn't put Djokovic solely 5th. Gaudio and costa are as good at 'Peek' level and have better achievements.