PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know About Logistics/Supply Chain Management?

UW_Husky88
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey,

I thought that I wanted to major in accounting, and I still might, but I've recently become fascinated with supply chain management and basically optimizing the flow of materials for companies and things like that. Is this a good area to get into? I hear mixed responses. Some people say it's dying while others say it's going to be big in the future, so what do you guys think?

jmverdugo
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I think it is a good career but you have to be prepare to work under pressure, most of the time you will be responsible of things that are not completely in your hands, also you have a lot of "clients" (Suppliers, End Users, Managment, Operations, etc). The good thing is that is really universal, you can apply the same knowledge to different type of industries, most of Terms and Standars and world wide valid.

N23
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I worked for a pharmaceutical distributor here in CA for the last 8 years. You do have a relationships with clients that may or may not share your vision of customer service; vendors, manufacturers, couriers, weather, your own workforce and issues, and then the end user (customers) which do not share your ideas of satisfactory service levels. However, all these can be factored into a business model which serves all well.

I do feel this field can grow. With the advent of internet sales and business, there is not a true need for a storefront per se but a need for warehousing and transportation.

CAM178
12-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Depends on what you want to do. You need to talk with people who have been doing this for years, and maybe even shadow them or intern with them for a day or even a week. You need to get a good feel for what the future may bring.

The beauty of business is that even if you want to pursue another direction in business, you will always have this skill set to add to your knowledge base. It never hurts to know more. 8)