PDA

View Full Version : Would Nalbandian beat Nadal on clay?

2slik
12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Since Nalbandian easily beats Nadal on HC, I wonder if Nadal would not have won RG do many times if he played Nalbandian.

Mustard
12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Nadal beat Nalbandian on hardcourt on his way to the 2009 Indian Wells Masters title.

Nadal is 139-4 on clay since the start of the 2005 Monte Carlo Masters, so I think a Nadal victory over Nalbandian on clay is a safe bet.

P_Agony
12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
If Nalby brings his A game and stays confident in the match, he's got a chance, but I would still consider Nadal the favorite.

Delpo might be able to get that job done though.

2slik
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Nadal beat Nalbandian on hardcourt on his way to the 2009 Indian Wells Masters title.

Nadal is 139-4 on clay since the start of the 2005 Monte Carlo Masters, so I think a Nadal victory over Nalbandian on clay is a safe bet.

That was the biggest choke of his career

jamesblakefan#1
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
No way. If Nalbandian couldn't beat Fed on clay he wouldn't beat Nadal.

malakas
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Nalbandian to beat Nadal on clay??hahahaha!!!:lol: :rolleyes:

Nalbandian's GRANDMOTHER in a wheelchair would beat Nadal on clay!!jeeezz :roll:

Mustard
12-01-2009, 12:07 PM

I'm sorry, but no.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Nalbandian is an excellent player but quite overrated on TW. To answer the question absolutely not, Nalbandian would never beat Nadal on clay unless he was badly injured. Nadal's toughest opponents on clay in order:

1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Del Potro- will probably move up to #2 or even #1 next year on this list
4. Davydenko
5. Ferrer

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
No way. The slowest court they played on was Indian wells - and Nalbandian still couldn't put Nadal away. I expect he would win a set and they fall mentally and physically.

If Nalbandian decided to get fitter, take up meditation then he would have the physical and mental strength to do someonething to Nadal on clay - as it is he is probably eating chips and watching TV right now.

P_Agony
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
No way. The slowest court they played on was Indian wells - and Nalbandian still couldn't put Nadal away. I expect he would win a set and they fall mentally and physically.

If Nalbandian decided to get fitter, take up meditation then he would have the physical and mental strength to do someonething to Nadal on clay - as it is he is probably eating chips and watching TV right now.

Nalby couldn't beat Nadal because he choked. He had 5 MPs for crying out loud, both on Nadal's serve and on his own.

P_Agony
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Nalbandian is an excellent player but quite overrated on TW. To answer the question absolutely not, Nalbandian would never beat Nadal on clay unless he was badly injured. Nadal's toughest opponents on clay in order:

1. Djokovic
2. Federer
4. Davydenko
5. Ferrer

Federer beats Nadal on clay twice (and comes up just short in multiple occasions), and somehow Djokovic is his stronger opponent on clay (even without ever beating him on clay). Go figure.

Mustard
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Nadal beat Nalbandian in Indian Wells, end of story.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Nalby couldn't beat Nadal because he choked. He had 5 MPs for crying out loud, both on Nadal's serve and on his own.

You have summed it up why Nalbandian won't win.

TMF
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM

1. Djokovic
2. Federer
4. Davydenko
5. Ferrer

Funny how you downgrade Federer in EVERY topics we’ve discussed in the past. Novak is winless against Rafa, but Federer beat him twice, include snapping his 81 matches winning streak.

And you left out Soderling in your list. I guess you don’t like him either.:roll:

viduka0101
12-01-2009, 12:52 PM

watch the match again
or maybe watch the match for the first time(if you haven't already)

viduka0101
12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
No way. If Nalbandian couldn't beat Fed on clay he wouldn't beat Nadal.

he had a decent chance at the 2006 RG IMO but he got injured

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Funny how you downgrade Federer in EVERY topics we’ve discussed in the past. Novak is winless against Rafa, but Federer beat him twice, include snapping his 81 matches winning streak.

And you left out Soderling in your list. I guess you don’t like him either.:roll:

Djokovic and Nadal have had many incredible matches on clay the last 2 years- Monte Carlo this year, Hamburg last year, Madrid this year. That is why overall I consider him Nadal's toughest opponent on clay. Madrid this year was the only time Nadal had more trouble with Federer than Djokovic on clay since 2007.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 01:02 PM
he had a decent chance at the 2006 RG IMO but he got injured

He was not likely to hold on and win anyway. Nalbandian couldnt avoid choking away big leads vs Roddick and Baghdatis in slam semifinals, unlikely he would have avoided it vs Federer. If by some event he won that match though Nadal would have raped him in the final (Federer gave him a much tougher final than Nalbandian would have) and this topic would not have even been started.

Anaconda
12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Djokovic and Nadal have had many incredible matches on clay the last 2 years- Monte Carlo this year, Hamburg last year, Madrid this year. That is why overall I consider him Nadal's toughest opponent on clay. Madrid this year was the only time Nadal had more trouble with Federer than Djokovic on clay since 2007.

Recently, Djokovic has been Nadals #1 rival on clay, but you cannot deny that Federer has also had reasonable success, except at roland gaross where Federer always gets raped.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Recently, Djokovic has been Nadals #1 rival on clay, but you cannot deny that Federer has also had reasonable success, except at roland gaross where Federer always gets raped.

I agree. That is why I rated Federer as Nadal's 2nd toughest opponent on clay. If this were 2005, 2006, or 2007 I would have rated him Nadal's toughest opponent on clay hands down. Of course the clay court season leading up to the French will be interesting. Who knows, the order could all change around again.

nalbyvsfed
12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
i also think it is a bit difficult, but everything is possible with nalbandian. If they ever meet, and nalbandian beats nadal bad, then i would be laughing. but it is unlikely.

2slik
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I thought most people would have voted yes due to the fact that Nalbandian like high looping crosscourt forehands to his double handed backhand, this is how he controls rally's

flying24
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
If prime Nalbandian and prime Nadal played 10 times on clay Nalbandian might win once, and it certainly wouldnt be at the French Open.

Cesc Fabregas
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Nadal would be giving the fat boy some bagels on clay.

President of Serve/Volley
12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
A better question would be: Would Nalbandian beat Nadal on Grass?

GustafsonFanatic
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
If prime Nalbandian and prime Nadal played 10 times on clay Nalbandian might win once, and it certainly wouldnt be at the French Open.

I agree. He can be badly overated around here.

Andres
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
The only place I could see a Nalbandian win over Nadal on clay, is a Davis Cup final played IN Buenos Aires with 15,000 argies cheering for him and firing him up.

Anywhere else, Nalbandian is up for a beatdown. But they'll have a close 1st set. Something like 7-6, 6-2

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
The only place I could see a Nalbandian win over Nadal on clay, is a Davis Cup final played IN Buenos Aires with 15,000 argies cheering for him and firing him up.

Anywhere else, Nalbandian is up for a beatdown. But they'll have a close 1st set. Something like 7-6, 6-2

I think that is a very good accessment.

IvanAndreevich
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm sorry, but no.

Nalby choking 5 match points and losing last set 6-0? Yeah that was pretty much the biggest choke of his career.

OP, depends what kind of clay. I think Nalby could take him on Madrid clay, Rome clay, or Hamburg clay. Not on RG clay.

kishnabe
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
If you have seen Nalabandian play on clay, I would say he would have 40-60 chance of beating Nadal in his prime. No one is invinciable.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
A better question would be: Would Nalbandian beat Nadal on Grass?

ROTFL, that is an even worse question. Nalbandian's worst surface is grass by far, he is nowhere near as good on grass as he is even on clay. Nadal at his best is nearly as devastating on grass as he is on clay. Roger is much better on grass than on clay, yet still gives Nadal a tough time on clay usually when in form, and has a very hard time beating Nadal on grass at his best. Nalbandian's 2002 Wimbledon final has to go down as the fluke of the decade amongst the men. At his best he might be marginal round of 16 caliber at Wimbledon.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
If you have seen Nalabandian play on clay, I would say he would have 40-60 chance of beating Nadal in his prime. No one is invinciable.

I have seen prime Nalbandian play many times on clay and you are wrong. The way some people talk about Nalbandian here you would think he was superman in his prime, not a guy who didnt even reach a slam final in his prime (his 02 Wimbledon final wasnt even in his prime yet). I can already see Nalbandian is taking Safin's place as the new unofficial god on TW.

Rhino
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I've always thought that Nalbandian had a great shot against Nadal on clay, but it took them so long to ever face each other on any surface, it was getting ridiculous.
It's just the crazy kind of thing that Nalbandian could pull off.

TMF
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Are we talking about Rafa when he was winning the FO? If we are talking about NOW, David can beat him on clay. Rafa is vulnerable everywhere!

lambielspins
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Are we talking about Rafa when he was winning the FO? If we are talking about NOW, David can beat him on clay. Rafa is vulnerable everywhere!

That theory would make sense if Nalbandian were at his peak now. Which is clearly not the case, and after hip surgery and being 28 he could well be all but finished as a top 10 player.

Rhino
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
...and being 28 he could well be all but finished as a top 10 player.

Federer, the world #1, and Davydenko, currently the hottest player on the tour are both 28.

Nalbandian will be back in a months time in Auckland, I can't wait.

dlk
12-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Nadal beat Nalbandian in Barcelona 2009. (quarters)

lambielspins
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Federer, the world #1, and Davydenko, currently the hottest player on the tour are both 28.

Nalbandian will be back in a months time in Auckland, I can't wait.

Federer is the GOAT to many. Nalbandian is not even one of the top few greats of his own generation. Huge difference. Yet even the great Federer is a shadow of his old playing level according to many.

Davydenko was an unusually late bloomer.

Anyway we will see what happens. I wish him luck.

Andres
12-01-2009, 08:08 PM
He didn't. They didn't play. It was a walkover.

Rhino
12-01-2009, 08:09 PM

No they never actually played that match, it was a walkover. i couldn't believe they were finally due to meet on clay and then Nalbandian pulled out injured.

dlk
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
He didn't. They didn't play. It was a walkover.

Okay, you caught me being a smartazz:twisted:

BreakPoint
12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Nadal beat Nalbandian in Indian Wells, end of story.
Nalbandian destroyed Nadal in both Madrid and Paris. End of story.

Did Nadal choke? Not even close. He was nowhere close to having even one match point, let alone five, like Nalbandian had at IW.

grafselesfan
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Nalbandian destroyed Nadal in both Madrid and Paris. End of story.

Did Nadal choke? Not even close. He was nowhere close to having even one match point, let alone five, like Nalbandian had at IW.

Indoor is Nalbandian's best surface by far, Rafa's worst by far (and the by far is no exaggeration in either case, and Nalbandian was playing the month of tennis of his life. In no way would that translate with a shread of accurary to how they would match up at a given time on clay.

2slik
06-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Bump

I guess I was wrong

Nobody can beat Nalbandian on clay