PDA

View Full Version : dealing with consecutive losses

monkeyisland90
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
so i had lot of fun with winning in a row... but now seems that tables have turned and i'm on the other spectrum... like a baseball batter in slump... how do they come out of this dark spell.... should i take a break and not even think about tennis? i think i'm playing too much and put to much pressure on me... i hate my ego

HOW DO I KILL MY EGO or at least tame it much as possible

Kostas
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Based on the previous three threads you've started I would vote for therapy.

Cindysphinx
12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Ha!

Hey, I lose a lot. When I win, I feel *fantastic!* :)

TonyB
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
You have to identify WHY you play tennis to begin with. If it's only to win, then you have to try to figure out how to do that. Take lessons. Improve your game. Sign up for drill sessions. Or failing all that, play weaker opponents.

If you're playing for FUN, then what's the difference if you win or lose? "It's how you play the game." If I play well, but lose anyway, then I shake it off. If I play poorly, but win, then I actually feel worse about myself and my game.

If you don't know why you play tennis, then you have to figure that out first. THEN you can figure out how to win.

Try different things: change your diet, get more sleep, make your practice sessions more productive, focus on your weaknesses, learn a new shot, improve your serve, improve your return of serve, learn how to volley, etc. There's a million things you can do to help yourself win matches. It just depends on how hard you're willing to work at it.

Or if you're satisfied with your win/loss record and simply want us to advise you on how to control your emotions, then I suggest you don't look at matches in terms of winning and losing. Look at them in terms of which specific aspects of your game you need to work on. Make mental notes of your service percentages. Make notes of how many returns you make vs. how many you miss. Learn how to play the score (15-30 vs. 40-0). Focus on holding your serve as many consecutive times as possible. Or focus on breaking your opponent's serve as many times as possible. Just focus on anything EXCEPT winning or losing the match.

I think you'll find you'll be much happier and your emotions both on- and off-court will be much more controlled.

Don't let yourself get too "high" when you win and you won't get too "low" when you lose.

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Just take some time off