PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Thomson Vor-Backhand video

Cl1ntrock
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
check it out..http://www.youtube.com/user/R0cktubes

LeeD
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Good stuff!
Did you get more muscle since your volley vids? And a year older too. Shooting for AussieOpen? Which pre AussieO tournaments are you playing?

Cl1ntrock
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
could be a bit more muscle..naah man no aussie open for me..was injured and ranking to week..i am current 701..havent played tourney since august..start of fresh in januar future tour..go from there..climb the ladder..see how we go..preperation through december

TennisPassion5
12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
How high do you have to be ranked to at least play in the Aussie Open qualis?

Cl1ntrock
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
me as an aussie should get a WC around 400s..make it straight in Qs and on safe siide high 300s..cuts been 380s as as well depense how much it drops..

TennisPassion5
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Oh ok I see. To be realistic, it looks like you have A LOT of work ahead of you. It has to be a dream of yours to play in a Grand Slam, but great results need to be achieved first. Good luck man

Tim Tennis
12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Great video, was that a ball maching or someone hitting with you? It sounded like it was coming off a racquet, if so they must be very good also.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

aimr75
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
great ball striking clint.. do you think you will permanently switch to the k90?

Fedace
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
You beat up on that guy from Illinois,,right ?? He actually won a Challenger event in the summer and was doing well. so you also could duplicate his results or better it.....

bad_call
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Clint - what BH grip do you use? looks like you get a lot of depth out of it...maybe too much?

btw - don't forget to give the MG Prestige Pro a try.

Bungalo Bill
12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
check it out..http://www.youtube.com/user/R0cktubes

Good to see you again. Nice video as always. A good one to use as a model for players here. Great shoulder turn, bend at the knees, smile pattern, everything works.

statetennis09
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Nice video. I just have two questions for you about the video.
1) who were you hitting with in the video? and
2) did you decide on strings for the K90?

Cl1ntrock
12-02-2009, 10:08 AM
i was hitting with marius zay..friend and training partner..650 approx atp at moment..he is in my videos as well somewhere..
i was hitting with alu power..didnt last very long..but would last a match ..training it goes through quick..used original today..that was also ok..
my backhand grip is pretty classic old school..nothing spectacular..
yes i do have alot of work..but i wanna make it into a slam..i will try everything to do so next year..

ryangoring
12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Loving the strokes!! 1hbh is sick!!

bertrevert
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Great machine-like quality, doesn't break down, very reproducable in a match, yeah?

You say yr BH grip is "nothing spectacular" but that release over your shoulder is! Where does that come from? It's great...

Do you have that same release when you go DTL?

Reason I ask is that (and please indulge the comparison for just one tiny milli-sec) it's a Fed-esque move to belt the ball DTL and release the same.

This shows it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORTYH588cE

Do you reckon yr getting the sort of rotation and release you want so far?

SuperFly
12-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I loved the footwork.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
When he gets to the top, Wilson will give him BLX-Blade paintjobs, and people will wonder what racket is under it... They'll speculate stuff like a [K]ProStaff 88 or a ProStaff 85 because of the box beam and the PWS... But us here at TW will know it's a [K]Six.One Tour. :twisted:

After enough close up pictures of his racket though, they'll be able to tell it's either a BLX-Six.One Tour or a [K]Six.One Tour.

Kenny022593
12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Clint, since i hope to be atleast half as solid as you one day, may i ask how old you are and when you started playing?

spacediver
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100002258

Dashbarr
12-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Your form is aesthetically pleasing, bu on the 1HBH I think you aren't transferring your weight as effectively as you should.

aimr75
12-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Your form is aesthetically pleasing, bu on the 1HBH I think you aren't transferring your weight as effectively as you should.

he is a pro tennis player currently ranked ~700 in the world.. its nice someone like him frequents the boards, and on occasions like this, posts some of his clips.. i can assure you he isnt looking for advice on his technique

zidane339
12-03-2009, 04:07 AM

Unless you are tour ranked, I don't know if you should be giving criticism to Clint:).

SourStraws
12-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Good vid man...Nice to see a lefty with a 1hbh

Also...It doesnt matter what rank you are, if you have bad technique you have bad technique...Idk anything about a 1hbh but if it has flaws it has flaws...Look at Gasquet's forehand for goodness sake

S.S.

jrod
12-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Man-o-man...your backhand is absolutely sublime. Really inspiring. I've been working really hard lately on improving my backhand to make it on par with my FH. I'm still struggling to get that extra snap you seem to be getting so effortlessly. This video provides me with an excellent image of what I need to emulate.

Thanks Clint!

Dashbarr
12-03-2009, 07:01 AM
I wasn't meaning to criticize. Its almost perfect. I'm just saying that I think that more effective weight transfer would made it perfect.

Cl1ntrock
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
hey guys..thanks for the comments..
he is not wrong you can always do a lil more of this and that..but my opponent was hitting hell out of the ball also..i would of transfered it a bit more with a wider stance if i wanted to make even more pressure..
But it was about finding rythm and so on..
For the downline shot..i hit it exactly the same..thats the moment at a tournament where people turn around or googling.."who the hell is this guy"??i have been having a great preperation so far..and the way i am going now i will have a good year next year..wanna break my PB of 469 over 100 spots next year and go from there..i am 25 now..no wasting time anymore..giving all for the sport and hoping that window stays a bit more longer open for me to have a crack at grand slams..all i need is to stay healthy have a good scedule..play alot of tourneys..and we will see where it takes us

bad_call
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Clint - have u decided on a racquet? looks like u hit well with the wilson model in the vid.

Cl1ntrock
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
no i havent..my arm is givin me some probs with the k 6.1 the vibrations on serve and the weight i am not used to..and it was even ****in me of framing the ball every now and then..hehe

ryangoring
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
You have the right username, CLINTrock, cause you are rock soild!!! Man I would like to train and become as good as you are!

ttbrowne
12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Clint, BH looks like it's coming along. I love the 1HBH when it's done right, it's beautiful. Is that a brace?

Marshredder
12-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Beautiful looking backhand, very federer-esque! I'd be interested to hear what age you started playing at as well!

BravoRed691
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Woo Hoo..welcome back Clint...back to posting vids that is...been waiting and waiting...lol

Smooth as a baby's bottom....Forget, Fed, i will copy Clint from now on :-)

Br

mawashi
12-07-2009, 09:00 PM
no i havent..my arm is givin me some probs with the k 6.1 the vibrations on serve and the weight i am not used to..and it was even ****in me of framing the ball every now and then..hehe

Clint, I did not find the K90 comfortable but how did it compare to your previous Head Prestige Flexpoint MP?

I would think that with experience of the head prestige fx, these sticks might be more your preferred sticks:
1. Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Power_Bridge_10_Mid/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10M.html)
2. Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid+ (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Power_Bridge_10_Mid/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10.html)
3. Boris Becker Delta Core Legend (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_Legend/descpageRCVOLKL-BDCL.html)
4. Boris Becker 11 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_11/descpageRCVOLKL-B11.html)

mawashi

SirSweetSpot
12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah, no offense, you'd smoke me, but why are you using a k90?

TourTenor
12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Clint, I did not find the K90 comfortable but how did it compare to your previous Head Prestige Flexpoint MP?

I would think that with experience of the head prestige fx, these sticks might be more your preferred sticks:
1. Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Power_Bridge_10_Mid/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10M.html)
2. Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid+ (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Power_Bridge_10_Mid/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10.html)
3. Boris Becker Delta Core Legend (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_Legend/descpageRCVOLKL-BDCL.html)
4. Boris Becker 11 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_11/descpageRCVOLKL-B11.html)

mawashi
Clint,
No offense to Mawashi but the only contender that I see in this group is the Volkl PB 10 mid ... and I am guessing that you might like it even more with some added lead.
TTen

LeeD
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Wow, this thread has gone to the "Clint, we recommend you this racket"......
Maybe Clint knows enough to pick his own racket. Maybe he's got racket sponsorship and needs to use a certain racket. Don't worry which racket he plays with, we just hope ..... Clint, you rock, and hope you get those ankles strong and healthy so you can continue your career!!

TourTenor
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Maybe Clint knows enough to pick his own racket. Maybe he's got racket sponsorship and needs to use a certain racket. Don't worry which racket he plays with, we just hope ..... Clint, you rock, and hope you get those ankles strong and healthy so you can continue your career!!
yeah, he mentioned he was switching sticks this year (in the other thread). He definitely rocks, and since he has had some issues with his arm and his K6.1 ... the one I mentioned would be a strong option.

HunterST
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Yeah seriously. Who are these people that want to feel important and knowledgeable so bad they'll give stroke and racquet selection advice to a world class player who clearly doesn't need help from a bunch of nobodies on an internet forum.

zacinnc78
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
what is a vorhand????

TourTenor
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah seriously. Who are these people that want to feel important and knowledgeable so bad they'll give stroke and racquet selection advice to a world class player who clearly doesn't need help from a bunch of nobodies on an internet forum.
LOL, despite what you think, this is an internet forum with some good knowledge to be passed around. Why are you speaking for a "world class player"??Besides, Clint seems like he is the kind of guy that speaks his mind. If he doesn't want to hear it, he can say so, not you. Do you realize that the stick that is giving his arm problems is 8 points stiffer with all other aspects being very similar to the stick I recommended? <I didn't think so>

Anyway, this is my last post about this ... now you can go back to "Oh Clint, I wish my backhand could be as great as yours."

smoothtennis
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks....Clint, I wish my backhand could be as good as yours!

HunterST
12-09-2009, 02:05 PM
LOL, despite what you think, this is an internet forum with some good knowledge to be passed around. Why are you speaking for a "world class player"??Besides, Clint seems like he is the kind of guy that speaks his mind. If he doesn't want to hear it, he can say so, not you. Do you realize that the stick that is giving his arm problems is 8 points stiffer with all other aspects being very similar to the stick I recommended? <I didn't think so>

Anyway, this is my last post about this ... now you can go back to "Oh Clint, I wish my backhand could be as great as yours."

Man, you sure showed me. Not only did you choose the perfect racquet for him, but you called it a stick! You must be a goddamn pro! Then the little off set <I didn't think so> that really made me feel like a loser.

You say I should let Clint deny your advice for himself. The thing is, the advice people are trying to give annoyed ME. I don't know how it effected him, but to me it was pretty irritating. Not your advice specifically, but I saw a poster saying he needs to work on his weight transfer, and then people all trying to tell him which racquet he needs to get. The fact of the matter is, the guy is a pro, he probably has a coach or some other resource to better assist him than people who discuss tennis online for fun.

jrod
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Man, you sure showed me. Not only did you choose the perfect racquet for him, but you called it a stick! You must be a goddamn pro! Then the little off set <I didn't think so> that really made me feel like a loser.

You say I should let Clint deny your advice for himself. The thing is, the advice people are trying to give annoyed ME. I don't know how it effected him, but to me it was pretty irritating. Not your advice specifically, but I saw a poster saying he needs to work on his weight transfer, and then people all trying to tell him which racquet he needs to get. The fact of the matter is, the guy is a pro, he probably has a coach or some other resource to better assist him than people who discuss tennis online for fun.

You sure are thin skinned there Hunter. Seriously, if this really bothers as much as you state, I bet your non cyber-life must be surreal. There are plenty of posters on this board that provide world class information and I'm pretty certain they are not in Clint's league as far as tennis is concerned.

The key skill required here is the ability to accurately filter the noise from the information and not simply jump to a conclusion based on some preconceived idea about the worthiness of the source. I can assure that this skill is far more valuable than any tennis specific skills you'll ever develop.

Bungalo Bill
12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
What is awesome is a debate ensuing and a fued going and I am not part of it!! lol

It is sort of fun reading this.

user92626
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
What is awesome is a debate ensuing and a fued going and I am not part of it!! lol

Now you know why we love you.

j/k :)

Djokovicfan4life
12-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Haha, enjoy your break! It won't last long with the Wegner's Witnesses still on the prowl.

HunterST
12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
You sure are thin skinned there Hunter. Seriously, if this really bothers as much as you state, I bet your non cyber-life must be surreal. There are plenty of posters on this board that provide world class information and I'm pretty certain they are not in Clint's league as far as tennis is concerned.

The key skill required here is the ability to accurately filter the noise from the information and not simply jump to a conclusion based on some preconceived idea about the worthiness of the source. I can assure that this skill is far more valuable than any tennis specific skills you'll ever develop.

World class advice huh? Why don't Roddick or Blake post questions here then? Because they're pros, and they have other, more useful resources. Trying to give Thomson advice is just as silly as trying to give Roddick advice.

I'm not even saying the things people said were wrong or bad. Just that when we're lucky enough to have an actual pro posting, it's probably not the best idea to be arrogant enough to offer him tips he didn't even ask for.

Now I'm done. It's not my intention to clog this tread up with a useless argument.

GuyClinch
12-10-2009, 04:05 AM
^^^ Amateurs can sometimes spot errors in even a pros form. <g> Its quite possible with new slow motion videos available. Many coaches can't practice what they preach either. Do you think Gilbert could really out hit Agassi? But he could still give very good advice.

SirSweetSpot
12-10-2009, 09:39 AM
LOL, I love how just because a player is in the wrong end of the top 1000 that he is somehow immune to criticism, that he is some sort of deity.

Then again, these boards are mainly filled with dumb kids so there ya go...

HunterST
12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
^^^ Amateurs can sometimes spot errors in even a pros form. <g> Its quite possible with new slow motion videos available. Many coaches can't practice what they preach either. Do you think Gilbert could really out hit Agassi? But he could still give very good advice.

LOL, I love how just because a player is in the wrong end of the top 1000 that he is somehow immune to criticism, that he is some sort of deity.

Then again, these boards are mainly filled with dumb kids so there ya go...

Alright I know I said I was done but holy sh*t guys. It's not a question of if he's a perfect player or anything, it's a matter of having some damn manners. He's a world class professional posting videos and answering questions and then a bunch of *******s start trying to put in their two cents.

"He's on the wrong end of the top 100" huh Sirsweetspot? Where are you? Are you one of the top 1000 coaches in the world? I doubt it. As a top 1000 player, he hits the ball just as good as people in the top 50, just has other areas missing.

I see you're implying I'm a dumb kid. Well, YOU'RE ON AN INTERNET FORUM CRITICIZING A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE THAT KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE GAME THAN YOU EVER WILL. That sounds an awful lot like the actions of a young, dumb, arrogant kid to me.

Cl1ntrock
12-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,
whats goin on here?Calm down a bit;-)I have to say i appreciate all your posts and discussions but there is a limit - people can realy say what they think or whatever they want.most of the poeple here know how much work it is to play at a sertain level and how tuff our chosen sport tennis is.
I throw the vidoes online because i love your guys fascination for the sport.we need to hold this sport alive and talk,discuss about it.
in other thread i actually asked you guys about some strings.i have been playing sertain strings for years and dont realy know much about others and was curious about some.we had some discussions on my volleys in thread also remember?But yea..u can always develope on stuff and make things better..when it comes to hitting balls and technical there should be a top 10 ranking and maybe i would be in there somewhere;-)BUT it comes down to matches and competition.mental strengh,fitness and all kind of attributes to be a top 100 player.it shows that top 100s are also only humans which have been defeted alot of times by lower ranked players.top 20 ..top 10..top 5 should be seperated from the rest again i experienced.. intensity wise and precision,mental strengh & confidence.
i read your posts.answer most of them and ignore some of them.lovin your guys passion to the sport.and maybe we will meet one day in US at a big event or on court and we can exchange experiences help other players develope their game.i am currently working,preparing as hard as ever for 2010 - for a good year - for my hopefully best year so far - if i stay strong and fit it will work out..goals are slams qualis..and we will go from there..
hopefully make some dreams come true..the strokes are there;-)lets get all the other components ready for it..and now lets have a nice chat..!!!

yea they are ankle braces called kallassy bandages..i can only say to wear them if u twisted your ankle before.it will happen again.and dont want it to happen again.two times i did it off court ..that was just unlucky..

well i am sponsored by head so i will stick to those babys i guess..currently training with the prestige Pro stock with leather grip..i like it alot with full luxilon alu power and i am amazed how string lasts in that raquet..and there will be another difference to a tgk modell..so it is looking like it will come down to a tgk youtek prestige pro for next year..

bad_call
12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Prestige Pro?...good choice. :)

Cl1ntrock
12-10-2009, 01:38 PM
hahaha..i knew u would like it...

mawashi
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Clint,

Good to see you hitting again and your using the Pres Pro mp, personally I prefer the 18x20 string patten as the strings just last that much longer n the feel is fantastic.

Good luck in 2010 would love to see you hitting with some of the other guys.

mawashi

user92626
12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Clint

I heard that at pro match level, everyone wears an ankle brace because the running is so intensive. Is that true?

SirSweetSpot
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Alright I know I said I was done but holy sh*t guys. It's not a question of if he's a perfect player or anything, it's a matter of having some damn manners. He's a world class professional posting videos and answering questions and then a bunch of *******s start trying to put in their two cents.

"He's on the wrong end of the top 100" huh Sirsweetspot? Where are you? Are you one of the top 1000 coaches in the world? I doubt it. As a top 1000 player, he hits the ball just as good as people in the top 50, just has other areas missing.

I see you're implying I'm a dumb kid. Well, YOU'RE ON AN INTERNET FORUM CRITICIZING A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE THAT KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE GAME THAN YOU EVER WILL. That sounds an awful lot like the actions of a young, dumb, arrogant kid to me.

I'm convinced you are a fool.

gino
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
hey clint, my name is gino and i am a junior player currently training to possibly play division 1 or division 2 college tennis...
i am 16 years old and have just moved to 18 and under... currently ranked 155 sectionally and 2015 nationally...
my talent is there and I am a mentally strong, fit, competitor.
I have passion for tennis and I really admire you and your game..
Any advice?
Thanks,
Gino

nfor304
12-11-2009, 12:15 AM
what is a vorhand????

German forehand?

Spinz
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
German forehand?

Sounds like Clint is playing some bundesliga.

Bungalo Bill
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Good observation and insight. Often it takes a special person to be a world class athlete or a world class coach. Each require their own skill set. The ability to motivate and communicate is huge to have in a coaches tool set.

I have refrained from providing advice for Clint because his strokes are pretty developed. He obviously practices a ton, loves the game, and most likely is a stident of the game as well as himself. He also seems determined and lastly he probably doesn't want my advice! lol

But I like his racquet! I used to play with the Prestige Classic 600 (red) 93. It was a great touch racquet and volleying off that racquet was amazing.

The Prestige Pro was out what in 1987???? I was hitting with the Wilson Prostaff 85 at that time. I like that racquet too!

Solat
12-12-2009, 06:05 AM
probably the MG Prestige Pro not the original

Cl1ntrock
12-14-2009, 01:48 PM
for more info hit...http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=246577&page=20...i posted one of my training days today..

NLBwell
12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Clinton, just a philosophical practicing point. You were practicing grooving rally shots in the video and I was struck that you didn't move aggressively forward when you got a short ball. I then took a look at the Croatia-Clay Court video on YouTube and you did move forward in the court even though it was on clay. How much do you practice point-like movement and shots vs. grooving strokes?

paulfreda
12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Clinton,
Great backhand
I have a question for you.

Do you 'feel' you are getting your topspin by brushing up on the ball or by clipping it with the lower part of the string bed ?

Or do you 'feel' you are hitting it flat ??

paulfreda
12-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Bump

Clinton ..... would appreciate your insights on your BH technique.
Thanks.

HunterST
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I think he wants you to put your questions/comments in the thread he provided the link for. That way he doesn't have multiple threads to be checking.

killertubbie
12-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm in love with Clinton right away when I see him hitting the ball

Cl1ntrock
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey guys..Its been a while..but i am back for some help if you need some..would you guys be interested in more videos on youtube ? i could make a new channel

aimr75
12-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey guys..Its been a while..but i am back for some help if you need some..would you guys be interested in more videos on youtube ? i could make a new channel

definitely more youtube clips :)

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-22-2011, 04:11 PM
hey Clint. Still in Europe? What's your take on Oscar Wegner?

(runs to the hills, merry christmas all!)

tonygao
12-22-2011, 06:06 PM

man, I really love your backhand clips, I think your backhand is the second best 1HBH I have ever seen!

can you make some new vids from the back pespective?