PDA

View Full Version : Don't fall for it!

daslosh247
12-02-2009, 05:29 AM
So, I’ve been bamboozled. I fell for the classic “cheap natural gut on ****” pitfall. I think I ended up with something like 10 or 11 sets of ace play garbage. I know it begs the question why I did something so stupid, but all I saw in the page was the number of sets the cost and so I bit. I wasn't expecting much, just something I could use at least. It wasn’t till after I won the item that I had the presence of mind to ask what brand the string was, at which point I did a search for ‘ace play’ and found a few threads on this about other people falling victim. So I’m opening this up to other horror stories on this junk.

When I first got it I was stoked, I had 10 sets of gut for the price of half a set of VS! I looked in the box to find that all the items had faded labels on top of plastic bags that looked like they were vintage—you know the kind that are incredibly wrinkled and look like a piece of paper after you've crumble it up a few dozen times? So, I look at the strings themselves to find that they look as dry as a match stick and brittle *head drops and shakes with shame*.

So, since I had this stuff, why not try stringing it up? I had a pure storm ltd that I just popped gosen micro 18 on, so here goes. I prestretch a half set and get to work. I finish something like 16 mains at 57 pounds, go to pull on the 17th and POP! So much for that.

So, I try again. Prestretch the another half set (I know it seems wasteful but come on, this stuff is worthless and the quality gives new meaning to “pathetic”) and I get to work. I take my time, slowly doing the mains, so far so good. Get to work on the crosses, and again, it takes me forever (usually do a synthetic full job in ~25 minutes), I think I’m about an hour and a half into this job, on the last 2 crosses and struggling big time. Seems like it may be around 2 17 foot half sets, so I’m getting nervous. Start bridging with a starting clamp to finish off the last crosses. I’VE DONE IT!!!!! I go to tie it off and POP! Right at the bottom where I was about to tie and also at a main. Devastated needless to say, I cut out the job.

I wait a few days, regroup and I’m determined to get a stick to at least hit one ball with this stuff. I try an open pattern hoping for a better result and pull out a kpro tour. I get it mounted, prestretch the half set, get into the mains and POP right on the 4th main. What the deuce is this?! Grab the second half set, prestretch it and get to work, again. This time, SNAP on like the 6th main. Give me a break! So I check all the grommets on the kpro tour, clean the clamps and I’m going in again. I finish the mains, no major problems. I start the crosses, no major problems yet, though it’s incredibly difficult to weave, talking like big banger rough difficult. That and the thickness variation is from like 15 gauge to like a 17. So I get to the last 3 crosses and notice I’m getting a little short on string…I measured off so I would have plenty, I tied the starting knot with a starting clamp with like 3 inches of string, there should have been plenty. I finish the 3rd to last cross, 2 more and I see the string starting to unravel around the bottom of the sweetspot, maybe a cross or two lower. And I just watch in amazement. Not only did I run short but the unraveling continued…it was just so painful. And finally, pop. Like 4 hours of my life wasted…

I know I’m dogged but who’s got stories?

i suck at tennis
12-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Wow I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been for you. I guess the old saying "if it seems too good to be true then it probably is" would be a fair statement here. Note to self, stick with name brand gut

daslosh247
12-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Yeah, it was rough indeed but I laughed a lot at how bad a product this was. If I took it seriously I probably would have gone bat ***** crazy!

zapvor
12-02-2009, 06:16 AM
who makes ace play

daslosh247
12-02-2009, 06:39 AM
G-dless heathens. I have no idea, but they suck something awful for sure.

mawashi
12-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Why didn't you do a bit of reearch first?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-134772.html

I think you can dispute the purchase on the grounds of damaged goods. Why the hell do you need to pay for something that doesn't fit the purposes for which it was designed for? A string that doesn't string w/o snapping n who knows if it is even playable.

Make an fleabay complain against the seller.

mawashi

daslosh247
12-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Because I saw the price and jumped on it. We learn from our mistakes, Mawashi.

I'm not disputing it, it was 20 bucks so whatever. Maybe I can throw the rest of them at cars as they pass on the highway or something.

-Kap-
12-02-2009, 08:40 AM
That really sucks and I feel for you, but I'm glad to see that you're keeping a sense of humor about it and taking it in stride, and I couldn't help but laugh at this exchange:

who makes ace play

G-dless heathens.

:-P

daslosh247
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
if I didn't have a sense of humor about most things I'd be a deeply disturbed individual. :)

dadozen
12-02-2009, 10:28 AM

I'm not disputing it, it was 20 bucks so whatever. Maybe I can throw the rest of them at cars as they pass on the highway or something.

Don't. You might actually break their windshileds, since the gut is that bad:lol:

meowmix
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Why didn't you go the Global/Gaucho route? 12-15 bucks a set, and it's 90+% reliable?

rippatennis777
12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would not trust them either.

mawashi
12-02-2009, 04:44 PM

I see LOL! You could always us it to tie stuff together!

Seriously though, you should at least try to get your money back n stop the scammer selling these rejects online.

mawashi

The_Question
12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Why didn't you go the Global/Gaucho route? 12-15 bucks a set, and it's 90+% reliable?

My experience with Gaucho is...I prefer Titan much more...

volusiano
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM

I would still file a complaint anyway, or at least give them negative feedback to warn others to stay away from them. It's not just about the money.

daslosh247
12-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Yeah, all good points. I'll rip them in the feedback. Does anyone know who actually makes the crap? As for gaucho and titan I've seen some really mixed reviews on both. Some say it's decent for the price, others have similar stories to it just shredding and coming apart while stringing.

slow_duster
12-03-2009, 04:47 PM
gut is so tempting to buy on fleabay. You see the prices and drool. Thanks for sharing your pain.

mawashi
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, all good points. I'll rip them in the feedback. Does anyone know who actually makes the crap? As for gaucho and titan I've seen some really mixed reviews on both. Some say it's decent for the price, others have similar stories to it just shredding and coming apart while stringing.

The choice is up to you, both global n gaucho are cheap but if you don't want to risk a broken string while stringing then go for something more reliable even if it's a bit more expensive. I'll go for klip.

mawashi