PDA

View Full Version : Sarena Tirade

jorel
12-02-2009, 06:39 AM
not to beat a dead horse....but

did anyone see them in the hallway outside their dressing room right after the incident on tv

it looked like Venus asked Sarena what happened and they were both laughing, giggling and smiling

that was right before her entourage/handlers shoved the camera away and the camera guy said somthing like "dont touch me"

makes me think if all those apologies were genuine remorse

jorel
12-02-2009, 06:41 AM
BTW. the australians are outraged at the ITF decision

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_australian-tennis-officials-fans-disgusted-over-soft-stance-on-erring-serena_1319217

jrod
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
My sense is the words "Serena" and "remorse" don't belong in the same sentence, paragraph, page, book, encyclopedia collection, planet, solar system, galaxy, universe, etc...

equinox
12-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Not outraged at all.

That's one unauthorized anonymous comment from i'm assuming a member of tennis officials australia.
Hopefully they've been misquoted or taken out of context by tennis writer leo.

Someones head will roll for those comments...

Camilio Pascual
12-02-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm a Serena Williams fan, she's a truly great player and the greatest of the last decade. Granted, her actions and words were inexcusable, so she should be punished and bear sole responsibility. The ITA, not Serena, is responsible for the punishment, so she can't really be blamed for it being too lenient or harsh.
Still, the fans pay their money and are entitled to boo their heads off at her if they want. She should expect to be booed for the way she conducted herself, anyway.
I hope she wins it. But not if she acts as a boor.

jefferson
12-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Tirades happen. They are often entertaining even. But once you start threatening a lines person with bodily harm, you have crossed the line. She could have said anything she wanted to about the job that was being done, even told her she should be removed from the stadium. But to threaten a much weaker/smaller person is a problem.

I look back at the tirades of the past, and there are very few that threaten a person with bodily harm. Name calling? Oh yeah, bum, idiot, and much worse but I am pretty sure that the chair or lines person never felt that they were in any real danger. This woman definitely felt like she was in danger. And that is where the problem is for me. I felt all along that whatever fine/punishment she got, she deserved it.

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Tirades happen. They are often entertaining even. But once you start threatening a lines person with bodily harm, you have crossed the line. She could have said anything she wanted to about the job that was being done, even told her she should be removed from the stadium. But to threaten a much weaker/smaller person is a problem.

I look back at the tirades of the past, and there are very few that threaten a person with bodily harm. Name calling? Oh yeah, bum, idiot, and much worse but I am pretty sure that the chair or lines person never felt that they were in any real danger. This woman definitely felt like she was in danger. And that is where the problem is for me. I felt all along that whatever fine/punishment she got, she deserved it.

Totally agree with you... but the issue I believe is about the lack of punishment.

equinox
12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
This woman definitely felt like she was in danger.
Conjecture. This official wasn't even concerned about serena comments until the chair umpire gestured to her to come over and future elaborate on the comments. No ones life was in danger. Serena will accept her fair punishment and tennis money making will continue. This talk about banning her from aussie open or us open is ridiculous. It would only create negative press damaging the brand of the itf grandslams / wta causing more sponsors to dropout.

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm a Serena Williams fan, she's a truly great player and the greatest of the last decade. Granted, her actions and words were inexcusable, so she should be punished and bear sole responsibility. The ITA, not Serena, is responsible for the punishment, so she can't really be blamed for it being too lenient or harsh.
Still, the fans pay their money and are entitled to boo their heads off at her if they want. She should expect to be booed for the way she conducted herself, anyway.
I hope she wins it. But not if she acts as a boor.

I agree with this as well... and most of the posts I have read are either directed at Serena's behaviour or the ITF's refusual to hand out a fair (what polster considers a fair) punishment.

Puma
12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I am NOT a Sernena fan. Never have been. But, I do recognize her importance to the game and her accomplishments. In regards to the US Open thing, lets move on!

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Conjecture. This official wasn't even concerned about serena comments until the chair umpire gestured to her to come over and future elaborate on the comments. No ones life was in danger. Serena will accept her fair punishment and tennis money making will continue. This talk about banning her from aussie open or us open is ridiculous. It would only create negative press damaging the brand of the itf grandslams / wta causing more sponsors to dropout.

Already done by Serena's behaviour in this incident, damage control is where we are at this point and in my opinion the ITF's decision is not doing anything to make the brand look any more appealing to a sponsor. They have a loose cannon on the circuit and they are not doing anything serious to contain her antics.

jefferson
12-02-2009, 08:32 AM

I never said her life was in danger, but I want to shove this effing ball down your throat is a physical threat. And that little lady was scared. They are not aloud to talk back to any player during a match. She only talked to the chair when he asked her to because she is not supposed to talk to anyone but the chair when prompted.

baseliner
12-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Hey Jefferson, 98% or more of the population is "weaker/smaller" than Serena. No way is the ITF going to suspend one of the biggest draws on the women's side (No snide comments on the use of the term "biggest"). Aussie Open wants to sell tix as well. Some unnamed officials may be upset, but trust me the AO wants Serena, regardless of behaviour.

jefferson
12-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I never expected her to be suspended from any tournament. I just said that what she did was beyond the normal tirade. And then I said that whatever the WTA wanted to do, she deserved it.

Talker
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
It may not be over, the lineslady can still file a lawsuit.

jamesblakefan#1
12-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Totally agree with you... but the issue I believe is about the lack of punishment.

What do you mean lack of punishment? Her name, reputation, image is tarnished forever. She lost the match, and a chance at another slam in part b/c of her tirade. (though she probably would have lost anyways, admittedly). We're seeing that she may have lost fans over this incident. And the ITF handed out a punishment that they and several others feel is just and fair. Just b/c she isn't banned doesn't mean she isn't being punished. This is something she'll never be able to live down, and will stay with her the rest of her career.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't think the punishment is enough.

The least they could've done was DQ her from the US Open. At least singles.
DQ = no points and no prize money. Then the addition fine. I'm fine with no ban.

That way the tournaments don't lose ticket sales, since the US Open is already over.

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
What do you mean lack of punishment? Her name, reputation, image is tarnished forever. She lost the match, and a chance at another slam in part b/c of her tirade. (though she probably would have lost anyways, admittedly). We're seeing that she may have lost fans over this incident. And the ITF handed out a punishment that they and several others feel is just and fair. Just b/c she isn't banned doesn't mean she isn't being punished. This is something she'll never be able to live down, and will stay with her the rest of her career.

We could argue her reputation and image was already tarnished prior to this incident... and as you said this match was pretty much over. Losing fans... I doubt that... I think Serena's fans are pretty polarized... you either love her... or you hate her. As far as the punishment the ITF handed out... I believe that is what we are debating. And getting a trival fine just cements her belief that she is bigger than the game... she doesn't need to live it down... she probably does not care and has already moved on.

Ripper014
12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't think the punishment is enough.

The least they could've done was DQ her from the US Open. At least singles.
DQ = no points and no prize money. Then the addition fine. I'm fine with no ban.

That way the tournaments don't lose ticket sales, since the US Open is already over.

How do you DQ someone who has already lost the match...??? And I don't think she cares about the prize money or the points... to the extent she cares about major titles. I still think the should make the punishment a deterent and in Serena's case that would mean her ability to compete in majors.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
How do you DQ someone who has already lost the match...??? And I don't think she cares about the prize money or the points... to the extent she cares about major titles. I still think the should make the punishment a deterent and in Serena's case that would mean her ability to compete in majors.

change the decision, deduct the points, deduct the prize money.
take away her doubles title and prize

just saying her current "punishment" is a joke. Life time ban is too much.

you know, I wished the lineswoman just filed charges. That would've made this much easier.

jamesblakefan#1
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
change the decision, deduct the points, deduct the prize money.
take away her doubles title and prize

just saying her current "punishment" is a joke. Life time ban is too much.

you know, I wished the lineswoman just filed charges. That would've made this much easier.

Maybe the lineswoman, contrary to what you all want to believe, didn't really feel like she was in serious danger out there. If she did, she could've easily pursued charges or a suit ASAP. As it is, she hasn't.

HellBunni
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Maybe the lineswoman, contrary to what you all want to believe, didn't really feel like she was in serious danger out there. If she did, she could've easily pursued charges or a suit ASAP. As it is, she hasn't.

or she was simply hushed up by money or other things.

as I said, would've been much easier if she just filed charges.

why do we have separate threads for this topic. Think they should be merged.

jefferson
12-07-2009, 08:04 AM

What is she going to sue for? Nothing actually happened to her. She could press charges for harassment, but a law suit? Well I guess if she is now unable to work the lines of future tennis events due to mental issues resulting from the tirade...

pound cat
12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
or she was simply hushed up by money or other things.

as I said, would've been much easier if she just filed charges.

why do we have separate threads for this topic. Think they should be merged.

I like the hushed up for money threory,

egn
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
The lineswomen would get little out of pressing charges except a hunk of change. I doubt too many judges would take this as seriously as half of the TT board does. Only in TT would do people believe Serena Williams would have actually ran over and rammed the ball down the lineswomen throat.

JoshDragon
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Serena should be banned from the US Open for a year.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-07-2009, 09:11 AM
She is the biggest abomination the sport has ever seen.
Two faced and phony. Show us your true colors.

jorel
12-07-2009, 09:36 AM
i think her sponsors made her apologize...(something like..apologize or else.....losey bigy money)

she was completely unapologetic right after....

then decided to give the tiny asian lady a great big old bear hug
all of a sudden
shady too me