PDA

View Full Version : Federer's slam results for 2010

grafselesfan
12-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Predict Federer's slam results for 2010

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I will...

AO: He will win it- Hasnt won it since 2007 and he has got to be hungry as a tiger for a 4th one down under. As always in AO i expect a fluke (Thomas Johansson, Clement,Grosjean,Verdasco) being in the SF/F

FO: SF- Mission in Paris already accomplished- He could care less imo. He probably goes out to Nadal or Del Potro.

Wimbledon: He will win his last one here, vs either Roddick Murray or Soderling in the final. This may also be Federers last GS. His 17th.

USO: The magnificent GS- SF/F consecutive will end right here, he will be upset in the QF.

baseliner
12-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Zero titles. Finals in Wimby, Semis or worse in Aussie and USO. Early out in FO.

vanity
12-02-2009, 08:40 AM
No slams in 2010. Perhaps in 2011.

borg number one
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I think it's a safe bet that he'll win anywhere from 0 to 2 Grand Slams during 2010.

I think his best bets are the Australian Open and Wimbledon. I don't see him winning the US Open or French Open next year. If he wins the AO, that'll give him momentum going into the critical FO/Wimbledon period. I think either Del Potro or Djokovic is more likely to win the AO at this stage, and I'd put Nadal & Del Potro as the FO favorites.

I think Federer may be tough to beat, but still beatable at even Wimbledon next year. Several will contend at Wimbledon this coming year, in my opinion, including Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic as the strongest contenders for the Game's biggest prize.

flying24
12-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Australian Open- Champion
French Open- semis
Wimbledon- Champion
U.S Open- Champion

lambielspins
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Australian Open- semis
French Open- Champion
Wimbledon- Champion
U.S Open- Champion

Strobe Lights
12-02-2009, 09:00 AM
22 consecutive semifinals, 17 out of the last 18 finals. But this kind of form has to end eventually. Almost impossible to predict the end of dominance though. If you predict it and it doesn't happen people will mock you by stating the kind of stats up above.

I think Federer will have another very successful year at the Majors. I'm thinking very similarly to TMOP, except I think the semifinal run will continue. 4th AO title, knocked out in the FO semis, 7th Wimbledon and knocked out in the USO semis.

navratilovafan
12-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Australian Open- final
French Open- Champion
Wimbledon- Champion
U.S Open- semis

Cesc Fabregas
12-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Australian- Semis or Finals
French Open- Semis
Wimbledon- Finals or winner
US Open- winner

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Hopefully Federer wins 0 slams this year. His domination put me off watching the sport for a while.

But we all know that Federer will win at least 1 slam next year. If he wins 2 slams then it is still seen as a fail and 3 slams in a year for the guy is just a normal year!!!

AO - depends on whether he wants it
FO - RU
W - win wimbledon blindfolded
US - Wins but has tough matches.

Telepatic
12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
AO: qf
RG: SF
W: W
Us: SF

(Bad year for Fed as usual)

Speranza
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Hmmmm...... You know what?

The Grand Slam
Or finalist at Wimbledon and French at the most.

Basically, all 4 or none. A bold prediction, but what the heck :twisted:

MichaelChang
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Since no one dare to say this, I will do it:

AO: W
RG: W
Us: W

hewittboy
12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Australian Open- winner
French Open- winner
Wimbledon- winner
U.S Open- winner

With Nadal never getting back to his old level and Federer having no pressure on him but mega determination still in the slams the Calender Slam is a very good chance.

Michael Bluth
12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
AO- Champion
FO- Semifinalist
Wimbledon- Champion
USO- Runner-up

Telepatic
12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Since no one dare to say this, I will do it:

AO: W
RG: W
Us: W

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb254/gahamm_photos/ohnoes.jpg

You jinxed Fed!

BigServer1
12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Australia - I think if there is one slam Federer wants to win more than any other, it's Australia. He suffered a crushing defeat, and one of his most embarrassing moments of his career in 2009, and I think he wants to right the ship. Federer wins, and does so impressively, beating a couple of the big players en route.

Paris - I think Federer will play loosely, and it will cost him. He'll meet Djokovic or DelPo in the semis and lose a tight match.

Wimbledon - Federer v. Nadal IV: Federer triumphs and gets more revenge, winning Wimbledon #7.

New York - At 29 years old, the SF streak comes to an end at 25 straight Slams, and Fed loses to a guy like Cilic in the QF.

Lion King
12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Hopefully Federer wins 0 slams this year. His domination put me off watching the sport for a while.

But we all know that Federer will win at least 1 slam next year. If he wins 2 slams then it is still seen as a fail and 3 slams in a year for the guy is just a normal year!!!

AO - depends on whether he wants it
FO - RU
W - win wimbledon blindfolded
US - Wins but has tough matches.

You are not a fan of the GAME of tennis, are you?

Lion King
12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Australia - I think if there is one slam Federer wants to win more than any other, it's Australia. He suffered a crushing defeat, and one of his most embarrassing moments of his career in 2009, and I think he wants to right the ship. Federer wins, and does so impressively, beating a couple of the big players en route.

Paris - I think Federer will play loosely, and it will cost him. He'll meet Djokovic or DelPo in the semis and lose a tight match.

Wimbledon - Federer v. Nadal IV: Federer triumphs and gets more revenge, winning Wimbledon #7.

New York - At 29 years old, the SF streak comes to an end at 25 straight Slams, and Fed loses to a guy like Cilic in the QF.

If Fed plays Delpo or Djoker in Paris he will win. Delpo is a hard court player and Djoker is weaker upstairs in big matches.

Iron Man
12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Australian Open- winner
French Open- winner
Wimbledon- winner
U.S Open- runner-up

akv89
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Australian Open: W
Roland Garros: F
Wimbledon: W
US Open: QF

kishnabe
12-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Aus:semi's loses to Soderling
RG:Win agianst Nadal
WB:Runner up so he loses to Roddick.
US: Runner Up to Nadal

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Yes i am a 'fan' on the game tennis, i am not a fan of one person dominating - is it that hard to believe. Not everyone has to worship Federer.

Seany
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Australian - SF
French - F
Wimbledon- W
UsOpen - SF

crackbillionair
12-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Beautiful, Lion King. Some people are not fans of the sport. They just like to see guys loop pretty yellow balls back and forth from a legion of 2 handed backhand players who never leave the baseline. A guy like Andy Murray or Rafa, coming up with 3, 4, 5 winners after 75 minutes of play is turning me off, but I'm still watching.

That said, the only guy scary to me in Roger's way is Del Potro, and Nadal, h2h. If Nadal finds himself in a GS final against Roger, he has a huge mental edge. Though that's the healthy Rafa.

With Del Potro, Roger no longer dictates play. He has to work that out, and he has often been slow and stubborn when it comes to stuck matchups like this one. Roger can't just roll out of bed and beat Del Potro anymore.

The slams are a different animal, and Roger is still king. but he has done better on soft courts than hard in the last few years.

I like him a little better at RG than the AO or the Open, though I am sure he wants to silence those like me who are doubting him on hards. He will probably find a way @ SW-19.

He will win 1-3 slams next year...LOL. Probably he won't win more than a token slam or two after that, though the onus is on the field to beat him in a best of 5 set format. Favorable draws will also be a factor.

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Australian Open- final
French Open- final
Wimbledon- Winner
U.S Open- Winner

Federer is still king. Deal with it people.

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Beautiful, Lion King. Some people are not fans of the sport. They just like to see guys loop pretty yellow balls back and forth from a legion of 2 handed backhand players who never leave the baseline. A guy like Andy Murray or Rafa, coming up with 3, 4, 5 winners after 75 minutes of play is turning me off, but I'm still watching.

That said, the only guy scary to me in Roger's way is Del Potro, and Nadal, h2h. If Nadal finds himself in a GS final against Roger, he has a huge mental edge. Though that's the healthy Rafa.

With Del Potro, Roger no longer dictates play. He has to work that out, and he has often been slow and stubborn when it comes to stuck matchups like this one. Roger can't just roll out of bed and beat Del Potro anymore.

The slams are a different animal, and Roger is still king. but he has done better on soft courts than hard in the last few years.

I like him a little better at RG than the AO or the Open, though I am sure he wants to silence those like me who are doubting him on hards. He will probably find a way @ SW-19.

He will win 1-3 slams next year...LOL. Probably he won't win more than a token slam or two after that, though the onus is on the field to beat him in a best of 5 set format. Favorable draws will also be a factor.

Don't talk. I like what i like. I just warm to Hewitt/Safin and Roddick more than anyone.

If you had any knowledge then you would know that the best backhands in existance = Nalbandian/Murray/Safin/Djokovic are 2H BH's.

Maybe you are just a closed person who only likes Federer.

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't talk. I like what i like. I just warm to Hewitt/Safin and Roddick more than anyone.

If you had any knowledge then you would know that the best backhands in existance = Nalbandian/Murray/Safin/Djokovic are 2H BH's.

No wonder a Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick fanboy hates Federer. After all the *** whoopings those 3 took from Federer over the years. Dont blame you for being bitter.

It is like how all the fans of players who Graf smacked around over the years seem to hate her. That is why Navratilova, Seles, Novotna, Sabatini, Davenport, Hingis, Martinez, Pierce, Capriati....oh wait fans of every player is bitter towards Graf since she owned everyone. :)

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
No wonder a Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick fanboy hates Federer. After all the *** whoopings those 3 took from Federer over the years. Dont blame you for being bitter.

It is like how all the fans of players who Graf smacked around over the years seem to hate her. That is why Navratilova, Seles, Novotna, Sabatini, Davenport, Hingis, Martinez, Pierce, Capriati....oh wait fans of every player is bitter towards Graf since she owned everyone. :)

Oh god. I didn't say i hated Federer - i said that it gets boring watching the same guy winning. I'm not bitter as i know that Federer deserved to *** kick.

Oh yeah and when Safin shows up he is able to beat Federer at his best level - remember AO 2005. Safin Def. Federer 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(6), 9-7 so goodbye.

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Oh god. I didn't say i hated Federer - i said that it gets boring watching the same guy winning. I'm not bitter as i know that Federer deserved to *** kick.

Oh yeah and when Safin shows up he is able to beat Federer at his best level - remember AO 2005. Safin Def. Federer 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(6), 9-7 so goodbye.

Dream on. That wasnt Federer's best level anywhere near how it was Safin's. That is like saying Pierce at the 94 French Open proved her best is better than Graf's. Federer played well but has played hundreds of matches better than that one. Safin has played maybe 1 or 2 matches his career as good as that one. Federer still had match point and could have won in 4 without a dumb shot. The overall head to head is something like 10-2. Safin had to have brought his best for some of those but obviously still lost since Federer is the way better player.

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Dream on. That wasnt Federer's best level anywhere near how it was Safin's. That is like saying Pierce at the 94 French Open proved her best is better than Graf's. Federer played well but has played hundreds of matches better than that one. Safin has played maybe 1 or 2 matches his career as good as that one. Federer still had match point and could have won in 4 without a dumb shot. The overall head to head is something like 10-2. Safin had to have brought his best for some of those but obviously still lost since Federer is the way better player.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

2005 was Federer's best year - in terms of his game level - anyone with substancial knowledge knows that Federer played his best all-court tennis that year.

Silly comment, please, remove yourself from this board before you say something even more foolish.

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 12:10 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

2005 was Federer's best year - in terms of his game level - anyone with substancial knowledge knows that Federer played his best all-court tennis that year.

Silly comment, please, remove yourself from this board before you say something even more foolish.

This coming from the same moron who thinks Nadal played his best tennis vs Soderling at the French Open this year. Now that one is worth a HAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH HHHHHHHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

GustafsonFanatic
12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
My prediction:

AO - QF
RG - QF
WB - SF
US - SF

Tony48
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Australian Open: F/W
French Open: SF/F
Wimbledon: W
U.S. Open: F/W

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
My prediction:

AO - QF
RG - QF
WB - SF
US - SF

What the heck are you smoking?

GustafsonFanatic
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
What the heck are you smoking?

Well I'm no Federer fan so that may explain part of it. Not saying I'm going to be right or anything. I'm just not as high on Federer as some others on here are. For some reason I see him having a down year next year, in the slams at least.

And I think Nadal has a better shot at the French than Federer does.

GrafisGOAT
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Well I'm no Federer fan so that may explain part of it. Not saying I'm going to be right or anything. I'm just not as high on Federer as some others on here are. For some reason I see him having a down year next year, in the slams at least.

And I think Nadal has a better shot at the French than Federer does.

I agree Nadal has a better shot at the French than Federer or anyone else. Even if Nadal isnt a lock to win the French anymore, if it gets to the point he isnt even the odds on favorite there going in anymore, then I will believe the skeptics who think he is really finished.

Still I cant see Federer not making a single slam final, even if he had a worse year than expected. He is just too tough and hungry in the slams and there arent enough others who can keep beating him before the finals that often. No way.

NamRanger
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM

This is lambiel spins on a troll account btw, as that is the same exact thing he/she said about the Federer/Safin match. "Hundreds more" is the give away.

vanity
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
HAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH HHHHHHHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Someone seems to be enjoying trolling...

AM95
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
NEVER underestimate Fed..he'll prove all of you hater/doubters wrong

GustafsonFanatic
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
OK, let's get serious

AO - SF/F
FO - F
SW - W
US - F/W

crackbillionair
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Hewitt and his tremendous backhand have lost to Fed, what, 14 of the last15? Roddick? Safin?

You're funny. You list these 'best' backhands...I count 4 slam wins in that list. That's a yr and a quarter's worth of time for Roger.

Technology has changed. But the best CHAMPIONS are still 1-handers. You want a list?

My list has no Nalbandians either...65th player in the world with the best backhand...LOL...the guy has won like 10 tournaments in 12 years.

I do like Roger, but that is because I like beautiful tennis. Also, I like 1 handed backhands. You know why?

B/C it's not a lazy little girl shot. It's not a shot that kids pick up b/c they can't hold a stick with 1 hand and then never switch to playing the right way.

And it doesn't leave players stuck on the baseline, dug in, like baseball players in the batter's box.

See I like to watch all parts of tennis...2 handers have the urge to stay back, and that is boring. Is that what you like? Boring?

Also, the 2 handed shot requires more set up time. Why do most 2-handers hit a large portion of their returns with 1-hand? B/C serves are fast, and these guys don't have time to shift their grips and especially, to get way out wide and rip the 2 hand shot.

Does that make sense? You are gonna slice with 1 hand anyway, and volley, and you are gonna have to hit many returns with one hand. To each his own...enjoy getting 'warm' to Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick.

kOaMaster
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I think he might give away the semifinal-streak at the french.
for the AO...I think he's the #1, should be well prepared and fully concentrated on thisone. this might be next years most important slam for federer. at least semis.
wimbledon - everything possible. I'd say he loses the final
us open. too far away yet, but maybe söderling gets his revenge there :D

dlk
12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Ao=c
Fo=s
W=c
Uso=s

GustafsonFanatic
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
for the AO...I think he's the #1, should be well prepared and fully concentrated on thisone. this might be next years most important slam for federer. at least semis.

At the French? Whom is he gonna lose to? Del Potro will probably be No.4 then and he won't meet him before the semis. You mean Haas and Acasuso?

Actually, if Fed sees that Rafa is not at his best in the early clay season, he may push himself to perform better at RG and maybe win it for the second time.

Cyan
12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
He will win Wimbledon.

Skabeast121
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Australia- Semis
Roland Garros- Semis
Wimbledon- Champ (obviously)
US Open- Finals

I think Fed is still hungry for the slams, but he prolly doesn't even care about he other tourneys anymore. For Fed its all about the slams which is why he will still have great results in them. You cannot doubt the man who made all 4 finals this year. But the #1 looks doubtful. Fun thought imagine him reclaiming the #1 End of year twice!

veroniquem
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Obviously Fed is a great champion and anything can happen. I can see how people could use the logic that he made all slam finals this year, so why not 4 wins for next year?
On the other hand, I don't see Fed getting better on hard, I see him getting worse and yes he won RG last year but after being pushed to the limit in several 5 setters and with the extreme luck of avoiding playing either Djokovic or Nadal against whom I'm convinced he would have lost. It is stretching it to imagine he could have the same stroke of luck twice in a row. One can also easily conceive that Delpo will become more confident and dangerous even on clay.
Even Wimbledon, he won it but was close to losing to a guy who had never been a great threat for him before, so it's not a lock by any means.
About hard court, the excuse that Fed is saving himself for the slams has run its course. Whether he's prioritizing or not, he still lost both finals on hard to 2 different players and he almost lost to Berdych in an early round at AO. He also lost Basel to Djoko, WTF to both Delpo and Davydenko and what to say about the Benneteau episode? The only good news for Fed is that he seems to have finally found a way to overcome Murray.
So it's hard to predict and nothing would surprise me anymore after what happened at RG this year! But I would tend to anticipate 0 to 1 slam title and maybe only 2 finals instead of 4.

fleabitten
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
This should be a poll.
I'd say Wimbledon victory and "that is all".

Blinkism
12-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Australian Open - 2nd Round loss to Gulbis
French Open - 3rd Round loss to Karlovic
Wimbledon - 1st Round loss to Dimitrov
USO - loses in Qualification to Donald Young

veroniquem
12-02-2009, 05:21 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
10 chars

dropserve
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Ao-->w
Rg-->sf
Wb-->w
Us-->sf

OddJack
12-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Found this interesting Odds:

Updated odds for Grand Slams in 2010 for the current holder of the French Open and Wimbledon titles.

Roger Federer is slowing down a little bit and many think that 2010 might be the year that he finally experiences a significant drop on tour. However you wouldn't really guess that based on his odds in the futures market for the four Grand Slams in 2010.

Here are Federer's odds to win for the various Grand Slams in 2010:

Australian Open, +250 (5/2), Stan James
French Open, +450 (9/2), Boylesports
Wimbledon, +175 (7/4), Stan James
US Open, +275 (11/4), Stan James

With Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, and Nikolay Davydenko all, more than ever, credible threats to Federer, there is no reason to take Federer at short odds. Of the four Grand Slams the French Open is the only one where the odds might be attractive as Rafael Nadal is considered too heavy of a favorite there. However, Federer's victory at Roland Garros last year was hardly a cake-walk as both Tommy Haas and Del Potro pushed Fed to 5 sets.

Federer's game is obviously still world class, but it is not unbeatable anymore so it's time to abandon Federer in the future's market. He's more vulnerable to an early or middle round upset now than he ever has been and part of that is due to aging.

Some people have pointed out, including Federer himself, that his lifestyle has been altered with the arrival of his twin children. Fathering can definitely have effects but Federer is also 28 years old in a sport that really favors the below 26 years old age group. Tennis isn't like a lot o other sports where you peak in your late 20's: the peak comes a lot earlier.

Part of the reason Federer is losing more than he used to is because he's getting too old and it may not be long before someone like Marin Cilic has what it takes to eliminate Federer in a key match.

Our recomendation is to only consider Federer for the French Open because that is the only Slam with odds that are reasonable. However with dangerous and younger clay courters like Robin Soderling, Del Potro, maybe Nadal , and Gael Monfils, there are going to be too many land mines in the field in Paris for Federer to dodge.

Look for Fed's odds to lengthen before you bet him as an outside threat.

Go to Stan James to bet on ATP tennis

MuseFan
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
A whole lot rests on whether Federer does his winter Dubai training block, and if he does how successful is it.

Anaconda
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Hewitt and his tremendous backhand have lost to Fed, what, 14 of the last15? Roddick? Safin?

You're funny. You list these 'best' backhands...I count 4 slam wins in that list. That's a yr and a quarter's worth of time for Roger.

Technology has changed. But the best CHAMPIONS are still 1-handers. You want a list?

My list has no Nalbandians either...65th player in the world with the best backhand...LOL...the guy has won like 10 tournaments in 12 years.

I do like Roger, but that is because I like beautiful tennis. Also, I like 1 handed backhands. You know why?

B/C it's not a lazy little girl shot. It's not a shot that kids pick up b/c they can't hold a stick with 1 hand and then never switch to playing the right way.

And it doesn't leave players stuck on the baseline, dug in, like baseball players in the batter's box.

See I like to watch all parts of tennis...2 handers have the urge to stay back, and that is boring. Is that what you like? Boring?

Also, the 2 handed shot requires more set up time. Why do most 2-handers hit a large portion of their returns with 1-hand? B/C serves are fast, and these guys don't have time to shift their grips and especially, to get way out wide and rip the 2 hand shot.

Does that make sense? You are gonna slice with 1 hand anyway, and volley, and you are gonna have to hit many returns with one hand. To each his own...enjoy getting 'warm' to Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick.

People will look at results but you have to look much deeper that that. You're obviously slow in the mind if you wanted Federer's backhand over Nalbandian's or Safin's.

kOaMaster
12-03-2009, 03:09 AM
At the French? Whom is he gonna lose to? Del Potro will probably be No.4 then and he won't meet him before the semis. You mean Haas and Acasuso?

Actually, if Fed sees that Rafa is not at his best in the early clay season, he may push himself to perform better at RG and maybe win it for the second time.

that is because I think federer also has his bad days, as everyone does. the last couple of years he won almost all the games, no matter how good his game was, he was too good for everyone else to beat him over 3 sets. now I think federer with a mediocre day could quite possibly lose to someone of the top20 in french, since clay stays his weakest surface.
and hey, in the quarters of a grand slam he could meet players like davydenko, verdasco, söderling... I'm not talking about somebody like benneteau, I don't really see it happening.
this is just a personal feeling towards federers game. we all know he's not 25 anymore and his level rather decreases than increases. I do not yet believe he'll pull off an agassi and will be n1 by the age of 33.

Obviously Fed is a great champion and anything can happen. I can see how people could use the logic that he made all slam finals this year, so why not 4 wins for next year?
On the other hand, I don't see Fed getting better on hard, I see him getting worse and yes he won RG last year but after being pushed to the limit in several 5 setters and with the extreme luck of avoiding playing either Djokovic or Nadal against whom I'm convinced he would have lost. It is stretching it to imagine he could have the same stroke of luck twice in a row. One can also easily conceive that Delpo will become more confident and dangerous even on clay.
Even Wimbledon, he won it but was close to losing to a guy who had never been a great threat for him before, so it's not a lock by any means.
About hard court, the excuse that Fed is saving himself for the slams has run its course. Whether he's prioritizing or not, he still lost both finals on hard to 2 different players and he almost lost to Berdych in an early round at AO. He also lost Basel to Djoko, WTF to both Delpo and Davydenko and what to say about the Benneteau episode? The only good news for Fed is that he seems to have finally found a way to overcome Murray.
So it's hard to predict and nothing would surprise me anymore after what happened at RG this year! But I would tend to anticipate 0 to 1 slam title and maybe only 2 finals instead of 4.

hey, you can be realistic and objective in a federer-discussion! that was good, go on :D

Agassifan
12-03-2009, 03:22 AM
AO: F
FO: SF
US: F

I will be happy with this. All i want from fed now is one slam per year and to keep the SF streak going

Anaconda
12-03-2009, 04:31 AM
AO: F
FO: SF
US: F

I will be happy with this. All i want from fed now is one slam per year and to keep the SF streak going

Federer wins 2 slams, a RU and a SF and you're happy. I would be over the moon if my favourite players had half of that year!!!

fps
12-03-2009, 05:01 AM
I'm gonna predict a seismic shock when Federer goes out in the 4th/QF of one of these tournies next year. He's pulled it out of the fire so many times it's true, but remember how close he's been to disaster, especially against Haas and Berdych. That can't last. I think it'll happen at one of the hardcourt slams.

crackbillionair
12-04-2009, 05:06 PM
People will look at results but you have to look much deeper that that. You're obviously slow in the mind if you wanted Federer's backhand over Nalbandian's or Safin's.

Or, I'd rather choose to hit my backhand 100% of the time with one hand. As opposed to 40-50% of the time if it's a 2hander.

Tennis is predicated on time, son. That is why most fast court tournaments historically have been won by 1-handers. 2-handers have less time to setup, have more trouble on the run, and when you see them take a hand off the stick you know you can approach with ease. Then there are your return problems, as was mentioned, playing that static baseline game, as was mentioned, etc.

Take Wimbledon, and tell me how many times a 2-hander has won, as opposed to a 1-hander. In fact, also tell me how many times in history 2 2-handers have faced each other in a Wimbledon final.

Let's talk about the Grand Slam. 5 people have won calendar slams. Not career slams. Not Serena slams. All 4 in 1 yr, starting with the 1st and ending with the last. Those 5 people played the game with 1 hand.

How could 1-handers win so much with that awful 1-hander in their reportoire?

And if you want to try some technology argument, go ahead. But there aren't any 7 yr olds who go 'I'm gonna hit my backhand with 2 hands because technology supports it.' They do it because the stick is heavy.

So how deep are you looking at it, connie?

kOaMaster
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM

just wanted to push this one :)