PDA

View Full Version : A Poly that plays like Multis with decent power & great pocketing effect?

Kokopelli
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

I really like Tecnifibre NRG2 string especially for its power and great dwell time or pocketing effect. It seems as though the NRG2 is very elastic, and that the ball seems to linger on the string-bed a little longer than usual. It also has great touch at net.

Unfortunately I'm a string breaker and the NRG2 only lasts around 10 hours for me.

So I'm looking for a poly string that plays LIKE a multis. I understand that no poly will play exactly like a multi, but I'm looking for the one that is the closest in resemblance.

These are the characteristics that I'm looking for in a poly string according to importance:
1) great bite, dwell time, pocketing effect, etc.
2) decent touch and on the softer side
3) decent power

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. - for your reference, previously, I'd tried the Topspin Cyberflash and hated it. It was like hitting with barb wires.

pmerk34
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

I really like Tecnifibre NRG2 string especially for its power and great dwell time or pocketing effect. It seems as though the NRG2 is very elastic, and that the ball seems to linger on the string-bed a little longer than usual. It also has great touch at net.

Unfortunately I'm a string breaker and the NRG2 only lasts around 10 hours for me.

So I'm looking for a poly string that plays LIKE a multis. I understand that no poly will play exactly like a multi, but I'm looking for the one that is the closest in resemblance.

These are the characteristics that I'm looking for in a poly string according to importance:
1) great bite, dwell time, pocketing effect, etc.
2) decent touch and on the softer side
3) decent power

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. - for your reference, previously, I'd tried the Topspin Cyberflash and hated it. It was like hitting with barb wires.

HEAD Sonic Pro

kinsella
12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I have two that are so soft, you cannot hybrid them with multi filaments: Signum Pure Pro Poly Plasma and Topspin Cyberflash. I use the 1.18 mm (SP4) and 1.20 (Cyber) versions of each. Great bite, power, pocket and feel. Also very durable and inexpensive. A reel of Topspin is just $65.

ryangoring
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Superstring voodoo energy.
Comfort - VooDoo Energy V9

The surface of the VooDoo Energy string consists of heat-sealed, highly elastic Power Ribbons. The multifi lament (consisting of several fi bers) core forms a mixture of highly elastic polyester and Soft Polyamide fi bers that intermix and overlap, thereby giving the string a high level of ball acceleration combined with touch and excellent control. For recreational and hobby players. Very good against tennis elbow.

meowmix
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Why don't you consider using a hybrid of NRG mains and a soft poly cross? It should give you a little more time out of your job.

Ron Insana
12-02-2009, 06:18 PM
I was a long time user of NRG16 but recently I decided to try poly, Babolat Pro Hurricane, because I heard Ivan Lendl was using it. I must say I love the feeling of poly for groundstrokes because I can slam through the ball like I never could with a multi. Although it does necessarily change the way you play the game. I used to play more serve&volley, chip&charge type tennis but am recently playing more power baseline. Then I started reading this board and decided to order the following ten string sets based on what I gleaned (all in 17g):

Genesis Spin X
Genesis Black Magic
Pro Supex Big Ace
Topspin Concept Pure
Signum Pro Tornado
Signum Pro Hyperion
Tecnifibre Black Code
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Pacific X Force
Topspin Cyber Blue

My criteria was comfort, spin and power in that order. I decided to try TF Black Code first. I was expecting it to play kind of dead like Pro Hurricane but to my surprise (and somewhat dismay) it played exactly like a multi right off the bat. If I didn't know better, I would swear I was playing with NRG or X-1. It has the same characteristics as NRG in that the ball seems to bomb off the court with spin and power on serves. Just like NRG, volleys flew off the racquet with effortless pace. However, on groundies, I felt like the power was too loose and unpredictable. Balls were consistently flying long. I was forced to change my stroke to try to cover the ball with more topspin instead of smashing through it. This actually makes me very worried that all these new generation polys I ordered are going to be like this. All I can say is that Black Code is very 'unpoly-like', something which may be a postiive for you but I found it to be a negative.

I am very confused about this whole issue of power. Those in the know please tell me which is more powerful--multi or poly? With poly, I can (and have to) swing harder at the ball where as with a multi, I can get more power with less effort but I cannot swing as hard. So I am wondering which gives me a higher mph in the end?

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
^^The multi would give you more pace.

OP Weiss Cannon Turbotwist hands down.

JackB1
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
HEAD Sonic Pro

^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said!

first time I tried Sonic Pro I thought it was a multi.

snoopy
12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Why don't you consider using a hybrid of NRG mains and a soft poly cross? It should give you a little more time out of your job.

Don't you think the poly would saw right through the NRG?

I just cut out an SPPP mains, Forten Sweet crosses string job. I found it surprising that the SPPP was notched but not the Forten.

To the OP:

10 hours isn't too bad even if you don't string your own frames.

How often do you play? I'm lucky if I'm on court 2 hours a week so I'd be satisfied with 10 hours of string life.

I agree with you about cyberflash. I think it's pretty stiff.

If you go with a poly in the mains hybrid it with a synthetic gut cross. This will give you more comfort and power.

Do people still use Big Ace? For a while it seemed all the rage. People said it was a poly that played like a synthetic gut.

chaddles
12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I've been testing a few poly's lately such as Pro Line II, M2 Pro & Touch Turbo (all 1.25) and they have been very comfortable on the arm. The PLII was the most surprising, really gripped the ball when I went for a heavy topspin on fh & bh sides - very impressive string and keeps tension & playability very well.

meowmix
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Don't you think the poly would saw right through the NRG?

I just cut out an SPPP mains, Forten Sweet crosses string job. I found it surprising that the SPPP was notched but not the Forten.

To the OP:

How often do you play? I'm lucky if I'm on court 2 hours a week so I'd be satisfied with 10 hours of string life.

I agree with you about cyberflash. I think it's pretty stiff.

If you go with a poly in the mains hybrid it with a synthetic gut cross. This will give you more comfort and power.

Do people still use Big Ace? For a while it seemed all the rage. People said it was a poly that played like a synthetic gut.

Not necessarily. When I chucked a poly in my syn gut crosses, they ended up lasting a bit longer. Mind, the polys weren't textured.

Kokopelli
12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
To the OP:

Unfortunately, 10 hours are not satisfactory to me and I don't string my own frames. I don't play matches, I just rally about 5 hours per week (just mindlessly hitting the balls back and forth, it's my poison!).

Thanks to everyone for your inputs, and keep 'em coming!!!

BigT
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
PolyStar Energy. Soft, powerful, great feel. Davydenko's string.

COPEY
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
...I don't string my own frames...

I don't know how old you are, but man...if you're young (especially) and you think you'll be playing this game for years to come, get a stringer. It's just too easy, and you'll save yourself a TON of money.

ClubHoUno
12-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Try a hybrid like others suggest.

Go for a good reasonable priced COPOLY in the mains and keep on using the NRG2, but ONLY in the crosses (you could go for the slightly cheaper, but still very good performance Tecnifibre Multifeel as a multi cross string)

A multi in the mains will break fast add you should get better life out of a hybrid with a soft CoPoly mains and the multi in the crosses and still pretty good feel, control and power.

Experiment with 2 or 3 tension levels at first until you find the one you prefer.

Find a soft CoPoly for the mains with good elasticity and tension maintenance for a poly - suggestions could be either Tecnifibre BlackCode, Signum Pro Hyperion, Signum Pro Tornado, WeissCannon TurboTwist or maybe Kirschbaum PROLINE II.

Then find your preferred tension level. Start with 56 lbs mains (CoPoly) and 60 lbs crosses (Multi)
Then try another one like 54 lbs mains and 58 lbs crosses - keep it going till you have found a tension you like for this hybrid.
Buy the multi in 16 gauge for better durability and get the CoPoly in 17 gauge.

Finally start using string savers from Babolat Elastocross, install a pattern of 4X4 in the sweetspot and add a couple to each side of the 4X4 pattern and Finally add 2 extra rows of 4 or 6 on top of the 4X4 pattern, because one tends to hit at the top of the stringbed on serves and smashes and in general more than at the bottom.

Should play very nice for you and up the durability with at least 5-6 hours :D

ManuGinobili
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said!

first time I tried Sonic Pro I thought it was a multi.

It is true Sonic Pro fits all criteria the OP listed... However when I tried it it was dead after 8 hours... so can't say it has better durability than the NRG2.
You could try Cyberblue which is softer than Cyberflash, or MSV Focux Hex which is supposed to be the most comfy poly like, everr

Big Boris
12-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I was a long time user of NRG16 but recently I decided to try poly, Babolat Pro Hurricane, because I heard Ivan Lendl was using it. I must say I love the feeling of poly for groundstrokes because I can slam through the ball like I never could with a multi. Although it does necessarily change the way you play the game. I used to play more serve&volley, chip&charge type tennis but am recently playing more power baseline. Then I started reading this board and decided to order the following ten string sets based on what I gleaned (all in 17g):

Genesis Spin X
Genesis Black Magic
Pro Supex Big Ace
Topspin Concept Pure
Signum Pro Tornado
Signum Pro Hyperion
Tecnifibre Black Code
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Pacific X Force
Topspin Cyber Blue

My criteria was comfort, spin and power in that order. I decided to try TF Black Code first. I was expecting it to play kind of dead like Pro Hurricane but to my surprise (and somewhat dismay) it played exactly like a multi right off the bat. If I didn't know better, I would swear I was playing with NRG or X-1. It has the same characteristics as NRG in that the ball seems to bomb off the court with spin and power on serves. Just like NRG, volleys flew off the racquet with effortless pace. However, on groundies, I felt like the power was too loose and unpredictable. Balls were consistently flying long. I was forced to change my stroke to try to cover the ball with more topspin instead of smashing through it. This actually makes me very worried that all these new generation polys I ordered are going to be like this. All I can say is that Black Code is very 'unpoly-like', something which may be a postiive for you but I found it to be a negative.

I am very confused about this whole issue of power. Those in the know please tell me which is more powerful--multi or poly? With poly, I can (and have to) swing harder at the ball where as with a multi, I can get more power with less effort but I cannot swing as hard. So I am wondering which gives me a higher mph in the end?

You tried the Cyber blue yet?

Pls send you review when you have, because I'm using it and like it but plan maybe on trying the black code.

Im looking for more power on serve.

Ron Insana
12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Big Boris,

Funny you should ask. I chose CyberBlue as my second of ten ‘new-gen’ polys I bought to try today. Let me start by saying that it plays far better than BlackCode in that it is far more predictable. I had it strung at 59lbs (I used to play with NRG2 at 56lbs) and it still felt too powerful for my taste. Let me clarify a little what I mean by ‘power’. I have to take back what I said earlier about BlackCode playing like NRG2. NRG2 has a very nice responsive power. I guess they call it “dynamic power”. By contrast, BlackCode has a sluggish, cheap, uncontrollable, springboard-type power, if you can call it that. I completely agree with comments on others posts saying that it felt like cheap black plastic. It has a cheaper feel IMO than any poly or syn gut I have ever tried (including dirt cheap Wilson Stamina). The only good thing about it is its shiny piano black luster after its freshly strung. Back to CyberBlue, my main complaint with it is that it is too soft and MUTED. Spin is good but nothing exceptional, inferior to Pro Hurricane IMHO. Contol is very good but still not as good as Pro Hurricane. Power is great and very predictable and controlled. Overall it is still better than Pro Hurricane because PH is quite dead and really only suitable for baseline bangers. CB is a very predictable, nice feeling string, kind of like a poly version of Tecnifibre X-1. I can see why so many here like it. For me, it just leaves me wanting for more feedback and sound. My shots came off well but its frustrating because I don’t know how I did it. I think because of my bad experience with tennis shoulder from all Luxilon strings, I overcompensated by purchasing only softer, ‘power’ poly strings.