PDA

View Full Version : Picture printer

YULitle
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
My wife and I are looking to purchase a printer for printing pictures. We want to spend <= $100 and need something to print good quality photos off of our computer (and perhaps our Canon camera.) We want to print the digital photos that we have for scrap booking.

Any suggestions? Pitfalls? etc...

mtommer
12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Overall, home printing has been around for awhile now so the performance aspects have been ironed out by all the manufacturers and really are pretty similar. So, most printers nowadays print pretty much the same regarding technical specs. That said, HP and Epson have some of the best overall color saturation with very good hue tones. Many of the inks now come in 100 (or close to it) year "durability" ratings (with high quality photo specific papers).

The biggest differences come in how each printer is geared towards usability. So for example, HP's Photosmart printers are no better at printing photos than most of their work oriented printers. However, the Photosmart series are geared towards making printing of photos easier and more convenient. If you do a lot of photo printing then those features may be important to you. Some printers let you replace the different colored cartridges individually which means you can replace yellow when it gets low instead of purchasing an entirely new color cartridge, even if some of the colors aren't low.

All that being said, if you want a good printer, pick up a local Office Depot or Best Buy ad, close your eyes and let your finger drop on the printer page. You've just found one. To find the best one for you, you're going to have to go shop around and play with a few, see what they have to offer and what features you think you'll want and what you ones you feel you won't need.

Raidenx
12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
If you plan to print only 4x6 then a dye sublimation would be a good choice.
The prints look and feel as good as actual developed photos and it uses film ink so you never have to worry about it drying out if it doesn't see much use.
Most of the printers are relatively small too so you could bring it around with you if you really wanted.

I have a sony one that cost about 200$ when I got it a few years ago but they've lowered in price since then. At the price I got my ink/paper sets it comes out about 5 cents per print and I still find it pretty awesome how good the prints look whenever I use it....