PDA

View Full Version : Tips on stringing gut in the mains

Mikey Fresh
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
If im stringing gaucho in the mains do i have anything to worry about

peli_kan
12-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Wax the mains with a candle, and make sure that you don't notch them while pulling crosses tight.

Lakers4Life
12-03-2009, 02:30 AM
+1 on the candle wax, be very generous. Don't kink the gut. If you are using an electronic machine or tensionhead. Use the slowest speed.

Irvin
12-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Like they say be very careful not to kink the string while you are pulling it through and wax the mains before installing the crosses. Don't wax the string before you string it. I am not sure if you understood that or not.

Irvin

Steve Huff
12-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I'd pass on the wax and just go a little slower, "fanning" the cross strings as you go.

jim e
12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd pass on the wax and just go a little slower, "fanning" the cross strings as you go.

I agree with Steve.
Although I do not string the cheap nat. gut strings, I do string a lot of nat. gut , and never needed to wax the strings as long as you handle the strings carefully. Even years ago when I strung in the 60's before the gut had the nice coating that todays now does I still never waxed the strings and never had an issue.

(I don't use the cheap guts, as many had reported quality issues with them, and I cannot take the risk of early breakage on a clients racquet, as that reflects on me).

If someone asked me to wax the strings for a job, they would also have to pay me for my extra time to clean up the residue from the wax on the machine and clamps.There is no substitute for following good techniques and being careful.

TennezSport
12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree with Steve.
Although I do not string the cheap nat. gut strings, I do string a lot of nat. gut , and never needed to wax the strings as long as you handle the strings carefully. Even years ago when I strung in the 60's before the gut had the nice coating that todays now does I still never waxed the strings and never had an issue.

If someone asked me to wax the strings for a job, they would also have to pay me for my extra time to clean up the residue from the wax on the machine and clamps.There is no substitute for following good techniques and being careful.

Have to agree with Steve and Jim. There is no substitute for good technique!

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

slow_duster
12-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Fanning is the way to go, no messy wax to clean up.

Mikey Fresh
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Fanning is the way to go, no messy wax to clean up.

will someone please inform me what fanning is im a new stringer it will be my fourth string job

aimr75
12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
will someone please inform me what fanning is im a new stringer it will be my fourth string job

while you do the crosses and youre pulling the string through after weaving, you fan (slide) the cross string along the mains to prevent notching of the mains

watch the YULitle youtube vids, he explains it nicely

jim e
12-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Okay, when you install the cross strings, you do not want to pull the string straight across, as you want to move the string across the string bed while pulling the cross string through, as this will minimize wear and tear on the main string, and also prevent burning of the main strings by just pulling straight across, so you fan the string across the string bed to prevent this from occuring.
Although it has been a while since I have seen YUlitles videos on youtube on stringing, you may wish to check them out, as I'm sure that he would be fanning the cross strings on installing strings, as that is standard procedure on any type string you would be using.He has a good # of videos on stringing techniques.
Also when tensioning, you should push the cross string next to the previous cross string as then when it is finished tensioning, the cross string would be relatively straight, as if you straighten the cross strings out later after the job is done, that would effect the final tension, as each cross string would be a different length and when you straighten it would introduce slack depending on how much out of straightness the cross string would be. If you are using a crank machine, also then be sure that the string is straight before it locks out for same reason.
Back to the gut string, be sure to be careful so no kinks form, as you would not want to form a kink, and pull on that, (weakens the string), a light hand prestretch eliminates some of the coil memory so less chance of forming a kink. Kinks are real bad for gut strings, avoid at all costs.
Also I would advise to only hand pull your knots with nat gut, as you would not want to snap the string by pulling hard with clamp or pliers, as you can snap the tie off or the main string it is tied to. A good cinched up knot can easily be done with the parnell knot hand tightened.
Be careful and pay attention to what you are doing, do not be in a rush.

aimr75
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM

yeah, i havent tried the cheaper gut, but ive done a klip legend main, Lux ALU rough cross hybrid without using wax and had no problem

Mikey Fresh
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Okay, when you install the cross strings, you do not want to pull the string straight across, as you want to move the string across the string bed while pulling the cross string through, as this will minimize wear and tear on the main string, and also prevent burning of the main strings by just pulling straight across, so you fan the string across the string bed to prevent this from occuring.
Although it has been a while since I have seen YUlitles videos on youtube on stringing, you may wish to check them out, as I'm sure that he would be fanning the cross strings on installing strings, as that is standard procedure on any type string you would be using.He has a good # of videos on stringing techniques.
Also when tensioning, you should push the cross string next to the previous cross string as then when it is finished tensioning, the cross string would be relatively straight, as if you straighten the cross strings out later after the job is done, that would effect the final tension, as each cross string would be a different length and when you straighten it would introduce slack depending on how much out of straightness the cross string would be. If you are using a crank machine, also then be sure that the string is straight before it locks out for same reason.
Back to the gut string, be sure to be careful so no kinks form, as you would not want to form a kink, and pull on that, (weakens the string), a light hand prestretch eliminates some of the coil memory so less chance of forming a kink. Kinks are real bad for gut strings, avoid at all costs.
Also I would advise to only hand pull your knots with nat gut, as you would not want to snap the string by pulling hard with clamp or pliers, as you can snap the tie off or the main string it is tied to. A good cinched up knot can easily be done with the parnell knot hand tightened.
Be careful and pay attention to what you are doing, do not be in a rush.

Any videos on stretching?

jim e
12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Any videos on stretching?

Okay, here is the link to Yulitles videos. Watch them! they are not all listed in any particular order. He covers a lot of the basics, prestretching as well.
My way of hand prestretching nat. gut is this:
I take on end ot the string, and clamp it to one of my machines clamp, (I have a heavy machine). I then walk back carefully untwisting so no kinks and the string is straight. When you reach the end, wrap the string around a couple fingers and pull back for a # of seconds. Do not be scared to do this. You will feel the string give somewhat, as that will undo some of the coil memory, and make the job go easier.
Yulitle has a video on this, watch it, as it shows what it will do.It takes a few times to get the feel for the string as the amount of stretch you desire, as I only do a light one.
Also when you get the coil of gut, place it around your wrist, then cut the tie and let it unravel, this way there is less chance of a birdsnest, as that is the last thing you would need to undo with nat. gut.
Heres the link on the videos:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626