PDA

View Full Version : Problems with My 1 handed backhand

Roy125
12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
It turns out that my 2 handed backhand couldn't be saved by me, so my coach had me try out the 1 hander. I tried it out and it was just so freeing in comparison to the 2 hander counterpart. The problem I have with the 1 handed backhand now is that 4/5 shots from it go into the net. Does anyone have any reasons/fixes to this? I feel like the eastern backhand grip is too closed for now.

Blake0
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Eastern bh grip should make the racket face flat..not dipped down..for me atleast..maybe you're going a bit further unknowingly? Try shifting your grip up a bit so the racket is more closer to 90 degrees. Another thing you could be doing is brushing up the ball too much. Hit through the ball, especially on 1hbhs. Make sure you hit with a closed stance, shoulders are turned during backswing and make sure your shoulders are perpendicular to the net throughout the shot (you can coil up more during your backswing but don't open up anymore). Also make sure your wrist is firm, no floppy wrists in 1hbhs.

Just because your 2hbh is gone..doesn't mean you should abandon it..my forehand was gone for a month..and goes on and off every so often..a little practice (more like a lot) and not being lazy and getting into bad habits.

10s talk
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
start your swing a foot below your contact point

Vermillion
12-02-2009, 10:17 PM

^this

combine with the right swing path and you should hardly net the ball.

Nadalfan89
12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Top spin is your friend.

Also, 1HBH are a thing of the past. As the game gets faster and faster, you're going to need a more reliable, consistent backhand and that's a 2 hander.

in before flaming...

Roy125
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I think that my wrist has been posing a huge problem in all my strokes. My coach notices that I curl back my wrist unknowingly when I hit with the 1 hander. The wrist is also the part that gets most sore when rallying too.:-?

10's Talk, that is such simple and useful advice. I didn't even think of that.:shock:

USERNAME
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Top spin is your friend.

Also, 1HBH are a thing of the past. As the game gets faster and faster, you're going to need a more reliable, consistent backhand and that's a 2 hander.

in before flaming...

I dont think so. I tried using a 2hbh when i was younger and really didnt like it to much. I find that im much more consistent with a 1hbh and that i can place the ball MUCH better. I play at the open level in the US and against international players and the 1hbh hasnt failed me yet. I dont think that the 1hbh will ever go away in the pros or at the rec level.
As for the OP's problem, real simple. aim higher over the net. Also learn to impart a good amount of topspin to keep the ball well in.

jwbarrientos
12-03-2009, 03:12 AM
hmmm

Grip + Topspin + Motion

SW helps a lot, swing back to the top, contact point is also a factor, uplaod a video if you can.

dozu
12-03-2009, 05:24 AM
you have a coach, yet you are asking the grafitti board how to correct a consistant problem?

step 1 - fire the coach, cause he aint getting it done.
step 2 - post a vid.

10s talk
12-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the advice so far. I think that my wrist has been posing a huge problem in all my strokes. My coach notices that I curl back my wrist unknowingly when I hit with the 1 hander. The wrist is also the part that gets most sore when rallying too.:-?

10's Talk, that is such simple and useful advice. I didn't even think of that.:shock:

it is from a Tom Avery video

papa
12-03-2009, 06:00 AM
I think you might be ill advised to play with both a one hander and a 2HBH - strokes are very different and you should choose one over the other making sure the choice is one based on macho. Most, certainly not all, of the good players around the world are using the 2HBH - there are many exceptions.

One of the biggest problems with the one-hander is that players want to start the forward swing with some arm bend - the arm has to be straight. It can be a little bent on the backswing but not once you start forward. Among other things you cannot hit the ball crosscourt with a bent arm and the shot itself becomes very inconsistent. Another big problem is weight shift and too often players are trying to hit the shot off of the back foot - you might want to check that out.

If you have/get the timing right and are able to get weight into the shot, its great. If your doing it because it might look pretty (or you think it does) go back to a 2HBH which for most is much more consistent.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM

Yes and finish a foot above the ball.

charliefedererer
12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Suggestions:
1. Low to high swing path essential for topsin
2. Pull that racquet way back on the backswing so you feel your hitting hand going back past your back hip with the racquet extended straight back for that spit second before starting the forward swing. Aim that butt cap at the ball.
3. Time that pull back so there is no pause between the backswing and the start of the forward swing. It helps to hold both hands on the racquet until just as you start your backswing.
4. Try a semi-open stance so as you are bringing your racquet back, at the same time you are sinking down on bent knees rotating your upper body on your hips. Then you can drive the ball forward up and over the net with your whole body as you use the leg push and rotation back forward to power the ball.
5. Realize your contact point is a good foot more foreward with a 1HBH than either a 2HBH or a forehand. (Reason: Your hitting arm is attatched to your front shoulder on the 1HBH and your back shoulder on the forehand; the 2HBH is more like an opposite arm forehand using two hands.)
6. Practice, Practice, Practice. Agassi's Dad wanted young Andre to hit one million balls a year from their ball machine, so he divided 1,000,000 by 365 days and got about 2500 balls per day. Now this is way more than you are going to do, but if you do have access to a ball machine you'll be amazed how hitting even a few hundred balls extra a day can zero you in on at least hitting a stationary ball at a slow rally speed so you can get you over the hump to better practice sessions. The wall is also good for working on the mechanics, but it won't gauge your shot for net clearance as well.

charliefedererer
12-03-2009, 07:44 AM
It occured to me from your above comments that you may not be aware how important it is to drop your racquet down as you are transitioning from the backswing to the forward swing, or "adding a loop". Your coach may have gone over this you, but maybe is hasn't clicked. The following videos may help:
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/one-handed-backhand-progressions/add-a-loop/
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/one-handed-backhand-progressions/hit-using-entire-motion/
(My only criticism in the add-a-loop video is that the pro here, Will Hamilton, is standing too erect as he is emphasizing the one element of building a loop. Realistically, you've got to have your knees bent more as he does in the second video. And if you want more easy power, aim for bending the knees even more and a bigger waist turn from a semi-open position so you can get that leg drive and abdominal rotation into your backhand.)

LeeD
12-03-2009, 07:58 AM
CharlieFederer post #5.
The farther in front on 1HBH, the more open the racket.

Roy125
12-03-2009, 05:06 PM
you have a coach, yet you are asking the grafitti board how to correct a consistant problem?

step 1 - fire the coach, cause he aint getting it done.
step 2 - post a vid.

He didn't really start teaching me yet about the 1 handed backhand. I just learned the basics from fyb.

papa
12-04-2009, 05:33 AM
He didn't really start teaching me yet about the 1 handed backhand. I just learned the basics from fyb.

Just don't make the assumption that the 2HBH is for the beginners and that you'll eventually progress to a one hander. Top kids from around the world are using the 2HBH very nicely at every level. I know of a very good player who uses not only two hands on the backhand but without switching, he uses the same grip on the forehand. Sure, it all started because he was small and couldn't handle the racquet but its stayed with him all the way.

charliefedererer
12-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Above all listen to your coach. The multiple hints/opinions here hopefully have given you some insight into what you want to accomlplish, but information overload can lead to lack of focus and a tentative stroke. I think most here assumed you were much furthur along in your switch to the 1HBH than you just posted.

z_z
12-04-2009, 07:01 PM
When i was starting to learn the one-handed bh, a coach asked me to finish with my racquet pointing to the sky, my body facing the opponent, and my free hand 180 degrees to my racquet hand. I felt like a fairy but it worked...

Roy125
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I think that I figured out the problem now. It turns out that he did say it before, but I just thought that it wasn't important. The problem was that I wasn't using my left arm for the backswing for the 1 handed backhand. This resulted in a flinging motion for the stroke.