Following her Antwerp Diamond Games victory in 2007, she
took longer than expected to recover from an appendectomy and
suffered a series of injuries.
Mauresmo spent two years in the wilderness and thought about
quitting before storming back to claim the Paris Open title in
February this year.
However, she failed to maintain the momentum, losing to
Russian Dinara Safina in the fourth round at Wimbledon in a
match completed under the Centre Court's new roof.
Mauresmo, who arguably had one of the finest backhands on
the tour, had not played competitive tennis since losing to
Canada's Aleksandra Wozniak in the second round of the US Open.
(Writing by Julien Pretot; Editing by Miles Evans; To query
or comment on this story email
sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)
((julien.pretot@thomsonreuters.com; +33 1 4949 5370; RM:
julien.pretot.reuters.com@reuters.net; For the Reuters sports
blog Left Field go to http://blogs.reuters.com/sport/))
Please double-click on the following newslink
[TENN-LEN] for more tennis news
Keywords: TENNIS MAURESMO/

For Related News, Double Click on one of these codes:
[S] [UKI] [AUF] [AUP] [PSC] [RNP] [DNP] [PSP] [EMK] [SPO] [TENN] [FR] [GEN] [EUROPE] [EZC] [WEU] [AU] [ASIA] [LEN] [RTRS]

Thursday, 03 December 2009 10:34:57
RTRS [nGEE5B20VX] {EN}
ENDS

tintin
12-03-2009, 03:04 AM
merci Amelie and Bonne Chance a toi:cry:

slice bh compliment
12-03-2009, 03:11 AM
merci Amelie and Bonne Chance a toi:cry:

Merci Amelie!

She played the game beautifully, with strength, grace and class. Not surprised she's retiring, but definitely sad to lose such a stylish player.

Let's all wish her well as she goes on to live the good life. Hopefully now, she will get to meet the man of her dreams, settle down and have as many children as she and her husband would like!
[kidding]

Here's to a great player and a wonderful lady.

AM95
12-03-2009, 03:29 AM
if only they answered this question when they were writing this article

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060901180204AABvCti

kOaMaster
12-03-2009, 03:57 AM
how far women's tennis went down shows mauresmo:
years ago, she was known for her "powerful, manly and not so beautiful playstyle" and now when she retires, people (including me, too) call it sad because she is/was nowadays someone with a "stylisch/beautiful" game.

malakas
12-03-2009, 04:01 AM
All the frenchies are retiring.:(

Have a good life after tennis Amelie!!!I wish you the best.:)

cghipp
12-03-2009, 04:01 AM
I will miss seeing her play. She seems like a lovely person and I wish her the best.

Topaz
12-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Au revoir Amelie! :(

sureshs
12-03-2009, 05:33 AM
One handers are slowly fading into extinction.

GrafisGOAT
12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Good. She was washed up anyway. Plus I always hated her.

ericsson
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM

I can understand that you like some players more then other, what i dont understand is how can you hate Mauresmo, she was one of the nicest people around, very humble and polite.

GrafisGOAT
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I can understand that you like some players more then other, what i dont understand is how can you hate Mauresmo, she was one of the nicest people around, very humble and polite.

Well there is one big reason but if I say it, it will be deleted, as the last few times I said it, it was deleted. I dont like her game, no power, technically awful forehand, weak return of serve. She just wasnt that good. I remember the U.S Open semis in 2002 when Venus played such a bad match that Mary Carillo called it sombre if she wins, and Mauresmo played great for her, and Venus still won. Her level for a top player was pretty weak, and I think she overachieved to get those 2 slams in 2006.

sureshs
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Well there is one big reason but if I say it, it will be deleted, as the last few times I said it, it was deleted.

Wonderful to know how courageous you are. Must be so difficult to bring yourself to hate somebody for being what they are and keep posting about it.

Banger
12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Well there is one big reason but if I say it, it will be deleted, as the last few times I said it, it was deleted. I dont like her game, no power, technically awful forehand, weak return of serve. She just wasnt that good. I remember the U.S Open semis in 2002 when Venus played such a bad match that Mary Carillo called it sombre if she wins, and Mauresmo played great for her, and Venus still won. Her level for a top player was pretty weak, and I think she overachieved to get those 2 slams in 2006.

Yeah she sucked big time. I mean cmon she only won 2 grand slams,:rolleyes:
Seriously how can you realistically say that she wasnt that good. Most players dont win 1 slam and she won 2. If her level was weak then that means all her competitors were weaker so its all relative. She was a joy to watch(when she wasnt having a mental breakdown on court) and that is saying something in womens tennis. Dont take this personally because i see your screename but i would rather watch mauresmos sweet one hander then grafs slice backhand anyday.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Why did you get banned?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
You had an amazing career Amelie- There should be no regrets.

One of few players on the WTA-tour who actually could slice, volley,played with great variety and fantasy and who used her brain on court.

Mick
12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
the pros retire at 30 while some of us hackers pick up the game at 30 :)

TheMusicLover
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry: My favourite (well in fact one of the few I always watched whenever possible) WTA player quits!
All too understandable though.

Great player, very sportive - no shrieking, no intimidation, no nonsense on court - and a lovely, friendly & humble personality.
Best wishes for the rest of your life, Amélie - enjoy your wine cellar! :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Mauresmo has been in the game for a very long time-being a woman- The women usually retires at a much earlier age than the men, i guess it has something to do with their biological clock ticking although nowadays Davenport and Clijsters prooved that you can give birth AND winning titles :)

boredone3456
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Sad to see her go. She was not always the strongest, and didn't do her best on her home turf, but she achieved quite a lot and was a great talent. The game just lost a good player in her, wonder if she'll go the route so many do and take up coaching

CCNM
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Say it ain't so Momo :( Oh well, I hope she enjoys the rest of her life-taking long walks with her golden retrievers, savoring her wine collection...Maybe she'll get into the wine business :)

sdont
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I knew this was coming but it's still sad to hear and face it. Too bad she retires just when Kim and Justine come back.

I wish her the best for her new life. I hope she will be able to share her experience with young players.

sruckauf
12-03-2009, 11:35 AM
No worries everyone, she'll be back. Seems it's nouveau now in the WTA to retire then come back a year later after they've regained their senses.

vanity
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
What a shame, i really enjoyed here style and in her prime her backhand was sublime.

TheMusicLover
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
No worries everyone, she'll be back. Seems it's nouveau now in the WTA to retire then come back a year later after they've regained their senses.

I highly doubt so in Momo's case - she's had a bad two years already and clearly said that she's become too tired to train anymore.

pound cat
12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Did she say she has been involved tennis since age 3 in one of her interviews? Enough already with tennis, time to do what she wants without the stress of pro tennis.

Good for her, bon chance to Amelie.

Automatix
12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Tis a sad day... :cry:

FuriousYellow
12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Very sad, but not unexpected. You could see she wasn't the same player any more.

I'll miss seeing Amelie's all-court style of tennis. I'll miss the jumping scissor-kick celebrations and the way she'd always jog back to her chair between sets to show her opponent she still had plenty left in the tank.

nikdom
12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
What Orlando Bloom is retiring? What?!?

oops, never mind ;)

DavaiMarat
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Good bye Amelie. You were the picture of Grace in a world of haters, shriekers and quitters (yes I'm talking to you Justine). Your backhand was a thing of beauty only matched by your poise and humility. Have a happy retirement and may you stay around the tennis scene for awhile yet.

TheMusicLover
12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Good bye Amelie. You were the picture of Grace in a world of haters, shriekers and quitters (yes I'm talking to you Justine). Your backhand was a thing of beauty only matched by your poise and humility. Have a happy retirement and may you stay around the tennis scene for awhile yet.

Well said! Wow, I'm gonna miss her... :sad:

soyizgood
12-03-2009, 01:08 PM
She was not always the strongest, and didn't do her best on her home turf, but she achieved quite a lot and was a great talent.

She owned the Paris indoor event, winning it 3 times and runner-up twice. She just never did that well at the OTHER Paris event.

MuseFan
12-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Amelie will be missed, that 1-handed backhand...

Steffi-forever
12-03-2009, 01:40 PM
You had an amazing career Amelie- There should be no regrets.

I still believe she should have won the FO 2004! That's maybe her only regret. :)

She owned the Paris indoor event, winning it 5 times and runner-up twice. She just never did that well at the OTHER Paris event.

She won the Paris indoor event 3 times (2001, 2006 and 2009). :)

Anyway, I wish her the best. She was a great talent.

Joe Pike
12-03-2009, 01:56 PM

I liked her.
An intelligent and sensitve woman. Class, style, a one-handed BH.
Always reminded me of Steffi Graf. Do you hate her too?

Joe Pike
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Good bye Amelie. You were the picture of Grace in a world of haters, shriekers and quitters (yes I'm talking to you Justine). ...

Problem is that Amelie was more of a quitter than Justine ...

boredone3456
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
She owned the Paris indoor event, winning it 5 times and runner-up twice. She just never did that well at the OTHER Paris event.

People will, in part, always associate her with her losses at Roland Garros, her success indoors will be remembered, but not as much as what she did at the biggest French Tennis tournament. At the end of the day though, her talent was amazing, its just to bad she wasn't able to always maximize it. She was however a great player, and the last of her generation of French women, she will be missed next year.

jefferson
12-03-2009, 01:59 PM
One handers are slowly fading into extinction.

Especially on the female side! At least we get to see Henin's one hander again!

sureshs
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Especially on the female side! At least we get to see Henin's one hander again!

I am waiting for that :-)

bluetrain4
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Loved Mauresmo. Yeah, she could be a headcase at times (especially at the French), but she was beyond classy. A nice person, humble person, and a very good player. Sure, her game has come technical deficiencies (like her forehand), but that's the case for a lot of players.

The one match where she absolutely put it all together and played fantastically was the Wimbledon final vs. Henin. We haven't seen such a a high-quality women's Slam final where both players played great in a while.

slice bh compliment
12-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Great post. I want to email her a link.

Davai Amelie!

Don't Let It Bounce
12-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I'll miss watching that backhand.

More importantly, it seems that it is difficult for a kid to go through the process that most top players have to go through and come out of it a reasonably balanced, considerate, non-narcissistic person. Mauresmo has always seemed like one of the ones who managed it. The game needs more of people like her.

CCNM
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM

I'm still hoping for this. She'd be a great doubles player.......
Off topic-Didn't Navritilova retire from the tour & come back to play doubles?

mental midget
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
she was a class act with a class game. somebody open up a women's one-handed backhand academy, please. the lack of style in the wta is killing me.

SuperDuy
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Finally. I liked "him" the least. ;)

Tennis360
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm really glad i was able to see her play at the 2009 US Open. Little did I know that it's the last time i'd ever see her live in action.

Enjoy your private life, Amelie. Tennis world will miss you and your graceful backhand.

sad to see you go :cry: :cry: but I wish you all the best!

Matt H.
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I watched her play in Key Biscayne last year. The crowd definitely loved her and rooted hard for her. It just felt odd seeing a woman of her accomplish needing so much just to get thru a round against a so-so opponent.

tennis is a harsh sport because there is no cover-up or teammate to help disguise your drop in performance. When you hit your decline, it's brutual.